Going to Iceland
1676 25 2022-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plasmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17907 ft
United States

Going to Iceland in a couple months and bringing the FPV.  
Any tips or places people who have flown there recommend (or do not recommend)?
Thanks!
2022-5-18
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

NO fair!!! Take me with you!!!!
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any tips or research you’d share?   I’ve been told to plan a trip here but no camping or roof sleeping.  
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any tips or research you’d share?   I’ve been told to plan a trip here but no camping or roof sleeping.  
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

@DAFlys also.  

I've been Iceland multiple times over the years and there is so much to see and do.  For starters check out this website as it's loaded with great information.  

2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks DT.  I love the bit about water, very topical.   I’ve saved the link in my iceland folder.  
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 12:48
Thanks DT.  I love the bit about water, very topical.   I’ve saved the link in my iceland folder.

You're very welcome DA.  

Hope it helps in planning yours and SHMBO's trip to Iceland.
2022-5-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Plasmo. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have visited Iceland can give out the best information with regards to this matter. In addition, I will post a DJI link on DJI Flying Tips for Iceland. I hope this link can also help you. Thank you and please stay safe always.

https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/is
2022-5-18
Use props
fansa44d0a00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42589 ft
Italy

been there last year and it was the best trip ever done for me and my family - even our 10y old kids keep talking about this trip one year later.

Check my footage and if any interesting parts you need more info about just ask:

2022-5-19
Use props
fanseb311160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365640 ft
United States

Thank you for posting this fabulous footage. Composition, editing and score are mesmerizing. I have a few questions:
1. Is this from a DJI FPV drone and the standard on board camera? Or, are you using a custom built aircraft with a supplemental camera such as a GoPro.
2. For the next questions I’ll assume that it’s a standard DJI FPV aircraft. What ND filters are used for sunny days an what for overcast days; and what for the amazing lava flow sequences?
3. What is your Video Resolution setting (I.e. 4K or 1080) and the FPS used and what Video format I.e. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, or  H.265/HEVC?
4. What editing software did you use?
5. And finally, how long have you been flying FPV drones?

Thanks in advance for a reply and again bravo for a stellar job.
Tom
2022-5-20
Use props
fanseb311160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365640 ft
United States

fansa44d0a00 Posted at 5-19 01:43
been there last year and it was the best trip ever done for me and my family - even our 10y old kids keep talking about this trip one year later.

Check my footage and if any interesting parts you need more info about just ask:

Thank you for posting this fabulous footage. Composition, editing and score are mesmerizing. I have a few questions:
1. Is this from a DJI FPV drone and the standard on board camera? Or, are you using a custom built aircraft with a supplemental camera such as a GoPro.
2. For the next questions I’ll assume that it’s a standard DJI FPV aircraft. What ND filters are used for sunny days an what for overcast days; and what for the amazing lava flow sequences?
3. What is your Video Resolution setting (I.e. 4K or 1080) and the FPS used and what Video format I.e. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, or  H.265/HEVC?
4. What editing software did you use?
5. And finally, how long have you been flying FPV drones?

Thanks in advance for a reply and again bravo for a stellar job.
Tom
2022-5-20
Use props
fansa44d0a00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42589 ft
Italy

fanseb311160 Posted at 5-20 05:50
1. Is this from a DJI FPV drone and the standard on board camera? Or, are you using a custom built aircraft with a supplemental camera such as a GoPro.

Hi and Thanks!

1) I've used the standard builtin drone camera
2) Good Q: I would have to check back my notes but for the sunny days I've used sometime a ND8
3) 4K H.265/HEVC (max out of what you could set on the drone)
4) Apple iMovie on a M1 mini
5) Took my license at the beginning of 2021. Before Island we also spent 2 weeks in Faroe Islands - which was another great trip and was useful also for practicing further with the drone.

Here is a link on the Faroe Islands clip, hope you'll like it as well:

2022-5-24
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Take a look at my film here.
About 70 different locations in 8 minutes can be seen here. Guaranteed not boring.
In the description are all locations with Google Maps links.
In the newest answers I also wrote some about Iceland and drones. In some places it is because of flight ban to work with a cable cam. A great extraordinary country!
We were 3 weeks with the camper + a few days with a super jeep off the paved roads. In my opinion, this best way to experience nature in Iceland.
Here is the link and have fun:

2022-5-25
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 5-25 09:48
Take a look at my film here.
About 70 different locations in 8 minutes can be seen here. Guaranteed not boring.
In the description are all locations with Google Maps links.

Truely amazing footage!  Wow.

Are most locations clearly marked where drones are not allowed?   
I'll be bringing my FPV on my trip to Iceland for casual footage for personal keepsake, but want to make sure I don't break any rules.   If you remember any drone-friendly nice locations to visit in Iceland (i see that you got special permits for some locations, which I won't be doing) , feel free to share the locations!  
2022-5-25
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Plasmo Posted at 5-25 15:09
Truely amazing footage!  Wow.

Are most locations clearly marked where drones are not allowed?   

Most of it is signposted.
The zones are sometimes quite small and flying outside of them at a distance is not a problem. One wants to avoid that the drones fly in places with many people directly at the waterfall. This is often about the safety of crowds, less about the place itself. Many people misunderstand this and think that you are not allowed to fly there. With a safe distance no one has anything against it. However, this is always somewhat different depending on the location. But you can write, the further you get away from the capital and the Golden Circle, the less the prohibitions become (because less and less people are on the way).

National parks and the no-fly zones related to the airspace, e.g. airfields, you have to find out on maps.
Of course, these are not marked by signs.

Here are a few uncomplicated places:
Háifoss
Gunnuhver thermal springs
Fagradalsfjall volcano
Kleifarvatn
Fjarðarárgljúfur
Sólheimajökull glacier
Reynisfjara beach
Hjörleifshöfði
Kvernufoss
Stokksnes (private/barrier), but possible against payment.
Hvalnesviti (secret tip and only interesting for drones!)
Hagavöllur
Fardagafoss
Hengifoss
Stuðlagil Canyon
And many many more!
There are still many uncomplicated places in Iceland.
I hope that helps you a little bit?
2022-5-26
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 5-26 08:08
The zones are sometimes quite small and flying outside of them at a distance is not a problem. One wants to avoid that the drones fly in places with many people directly at the waterfall. This is often about the safety of crowds, less about the place itself. Many people misunderstand this and think that you are not allowed to fly there. With a safe distance no one has anything against it. However, this is always somewhat different depending on the location. But you can write, the further you get away from the capital and the Golden Circle, the less the prohibitions become (because less and less people are on the way).

Yes this list helps a lot. Thanks!
2022-5-26
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
United States

Does anyone know if Iceland rental cars have a standard cigarette jack or USB that could be used to charge DJI FPV Battery packs while driving?
Has anyone done this, or is there a car adapter that can be used to power the charger? thanks
2022-5-28
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I've been doing this for years with DJI drones.
But always use the original car chargers from DJI (cigarette lighter jack).
Have for each drone 6 batteries and recharge over the day in the car. So I manage many flights spread over the day.
But works reliably only with running engine.
At the campsite you can take shore power.
2022-5-29
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 5-29 06:16
I've been doing this for years with DJI drones.
But always use the original car chargers from DJI (cigarette lighter jack).
Have for each drone 6 batteries and recharge over the day in the car. So I manage many flights spread over the day.

Thanks.  I have one of these which I might bring and try for our rental car, to use for charging as well as extra usbs for the kids devices during the longer drives.  It should be able to plug into the dji charger as well.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stefan - i know it gets quite windy at times in Iceland.  Is there a particular wind speed threshold you prefer not to fly the FPV?
2022-5-29
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Plasmo Posted at 5-29 07:54
Thanks.  I have one of these which I might bring and try for our rental car, to use for charging as well as extra usbs for the kids devices during the longer drives.  It should be able to plug into the dji charger as well.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDXS0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In manual mode, you can hardly lose the FPV in the wind. One has more than enough power.

Unfortunately, there are so many vibrations that beautiful video are hardly possible. Also, the video image is very skewed because of the angle of the drone and the wind.
Therefore, I fly only up to a wind speed of 50 km / h.
And even here you have to be driven by wind. Against the wind, the videos are not good.

With RTH, however, the drone flies only 50 km/h. That's something you should definitely keep in mind. Without taking over the return flight manually, the drone may not make it home.

I still use this wind meter to have a better feeling:
http://www.windpowersports.com/wind-gauges/skymaster.php
Cold wind, for example, feels much more violent than it often is in reality.
2022-5-30
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 5-26 08:08
The zones are sometimes quite small and flying outside of them at a distance is not a problem. One wants to avoid that the drones fly in places with many people directly at the waterfall. This is often about the safety of crowds, less about the place itself. Many people misunderstand this and think that you are not allowed to fly there. With a safe distance no one has anything against it. However, this is always somewhat different depending on the location. But you can write, the further you get away from the capital and the Golden Circle, the less the prohibitions become (because less and less people are on the way).

Stefan,
I heard that Reynisfjara beach now does not allow drones.
Is this true?
2022-6-10
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Plasmo Posted at 6-10 17:01
Stefan,
Is this true?

The front half of the beach section was free, also for drones. Only the back part (a few km away) is closed for drones because of puffins.
Do not think that anything has changed. Would not make sense to me...
At least that was the status at that time
2022-6-12
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Plasmo Posted at 6-10 17:01
Stefan,
Is this true?

This is where the birds nest:
Arnardrangur
https://maps.app.goo.gl/63pPFnb5GiPZGKPNA

At that time I had used a cable cam there.
2022-6-12
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Iceland

The weather and wind behaved very well yesterday for some great fun FPV flying in the Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon!

(mobile version - 4k version soon processing)

2022-7-18
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Iceland

Múlagljúfur Canyon FPV
Video Signal cut out as soon as I passed the waterfall - luckily I was able to do emergency brake and eventually pulled the drone back out into the canyon
2022-7-19
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Iceland

Haifoss Waterfall FPV
2022-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules