DJI MIC & IPhone: How do I get a stereo signal?
13510 23 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_cwjca1nILEE2
lvl.1

Germany

Hello together,
I am wondering if it is (easy) possible to get a stereo signal from the DJI MIC into my IPhone.
I think it should be possible by using a RODE AI-Micro. But then I could also use a DSLR for recording (in a matter of combined size)
For the Rode Wireless 2 there is an extra cable the RODE SC-15 which has a USB-C connection on one side and a lightning port on the other. It is able to transmit a stereo signal, but unfortunately it is not working with the DJI MIC (beside is says that it should work with other MFi devices…)

Does anyone know if there is an easy solution to this problem? Or will DJI develop a new adapter for the MIC to enable stereo sound? Pls Help
2022-5-19
Use props
fans3df9076b
lvl.1
Australia

Same problem here. DJI Mic only has Mono Lightening adaptor. I can connect with Rode Wireless 11 via USB C cable.
2022-5-19
Use props
Paul Kramm
lvl.2
United States

ok.....FYI, here's one downside for this fabulous mic system, when you use it with an iPhone you only get mono mode you do not get separate stereo left and right channel. Please DJI, with a software update could you please make it so the iPhone will stay in stereo mode in not forced into mono mode… I know you can use the transmitter's as recorders but it's just one more step I have to work with when I get into post production. I work on long documentaries and I don't need more files to keep track of or hard Drive space…

2022-6-5
Use props
Jurgen3
New

Israel

Paul Kramm Posted at 6-5 08:56
ok.....FYI, here's one downside for this fabulous mic system, when you use it with an iPhone you only get mono mode you do not get separate stereo left and right channel. Please DJI, with a software update could you please make it so the iPhone will stay in stereo mode in not forced into mono mode… I know you can use the transmitter's as recorders but it's just one more step I have to work with when I get into post production. I work on long documentaries and I don't need more files to keep track of or hard Drive space…

it's an iPhone limitation... the Lightning adaptor only has mono sound input
2022-6-10
Use props
Paul Kramm
lvl.2
United States

Jurgen3 Posted at 6-10 01:51
it's an iPhone limitation... the Lightning adaptor only has mono sound input

I'm not sure if you're correct on that. Just trying to get the word out be careful if you using an iPhone with a lightning adapter it's only mono it really doesn't explain that in the description when you are purchasing it. Please DJI let us know if you are working on this or what the workaround is.
2022-6-11
Use props
bubbagump00
New

United States

I can successfully get both channels separately using a Rode AI Micro and SC11 TRS Splitter, so I feel like DJI is probably merging the channels before sending to the iPhone via their lightning connector. DJI, will you please write a software update to allow both channels to come through separately with your lightning connector? This would help a ton with my workflow. Thanks!
2022-7-8
Use props
nszasz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1623071 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Not being able to record in stereo or have the sub -6 channel when using the iPhone connector is a SIGNIFICANT disappointment - and I was unaware before purchasing. Cab we hear if a fix is in the works - or if it is not possible. Please clarify. Thanks. Nick
2022-8-5
Use props
Andy Saputra
New
New Zealand

I only noticed this limitation once I owned the DJI Mic, but I'm optimistic that a software update would be able to fix this issue in the future.
Another issue (or limitation) is iPhone's loudspeaker isn't working when the DJI Mic is attached, which I'm also optimistic a software update would be able to fix.
We're still on the very early release of the DJI Mic firmware. I think v02.00.72.80 was their 2nd release, in which they introduced some new features, including a record button lock on the transmitter and stuff.
So I'm looking forward to seeing the subsequent releases of the firmware.
Update:
My good old Samson Go Mic Mobile does stereo and can split the channel using the same Lightning connector.
2022-8-17
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Hey Ya'll!

I had not found this thread before posting my own, but just a little update.  I had seen that RODE has found a way to record in stereo with several of their mics through a Lightning cable into an iPhone, but now can personally confirm that my SHURE MV88+ mic also records in stereo into my iPhone 11.  These two companies have been able do this, so please, PLEASE DJI, finish the job, and give us stereo!

Cheers,  cj
2022-8-19
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Hey from Japan!

I bought the SC-15 and tried (with a female-to-female USB-C adapter) to get a stereo signal to my iPhone 11, but it didn't work.  Using the USB-C adapter on the DJI Mic receiver showed the stereo mics, and "allowed" {S) stereo output, but the iPhone was not getting an external mic stereo signal.  I don't think this is a Lightning plug MFI limitation, but the DJI receiver output.  I wouldn't imagine this a hardware problem ... hmmm?

RODE and SHURE mics are capable of sending a stereo signal through a Lightning plug, so DJI should be able to, IMHO.  

Cheers!  cj
2022-8-20
Use props
webrene
New

Germany

Well, this is not beautiful but it solves the problem and proves that stereo IS available on lightning.
I can not understand why DJI does NOT support it with their direct adaptor.
2022-9-2
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

webrene Posted at 9-2 04:00
[view_image]

Well, this is not beautiful but it solves the problem and proves that stereo IS available on lightning.

So does that give you stereo recording on your iPhone?

Please explain the adapter and cable used ...

USB-C to USB-A, then a multi-reader to Lightning?

Thanks for your effort, webrene!
2022-9-4
Use props
fuzzywuz
New

Denmark

Not the most elegant solution, but I got stereo recording working on my iPhone using the MeloAudio iOS adapter, USB-C female to iOS male adapter.

Many USB-C to lightning adapters do not support stereo channel sound, so finding one that did was critical. The MeloAudio adapter worked without any problems when attached to the USB-C output from the transmitter. The only issue I had was connecting the adapter to my iPhone when using a thick iPhone case. The adapter connected without any problem when using a thinner iPhone case though.

Hope this helps!

2022-9-12
Use props
Simon87
lvl.1
Canada

Can confirm, lightning to USB camera adapter and a USB-A to USB-C cable does the trick - seen here with Meta Recorder in stereo.

Shows up as ‘Wireless Microphone RX’ in Meta Recorder.

The Apple USB-C to Lightning cable does not work - it does not show up at all, 1m or 2m. (Worth noting the 2m cable does work for the Osmo pocket)
F740C277-1BE9-4828-975E-3771AF1C83CD.jpeg
2022-9-19
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

fuzzywuz Posted at 9-12 04:09
Not the most elegant solution, but I got stereo recording working on my iPhone using the MeloAudio iOS adapter, USB-C female to iOS male adapter.

Many USB-C to lightning adapters do not support stereo channel sound, so finding one that did was critical. The MeloAudio adapter worked without any problems when attached to the USB-C output from the transmitter. The only issue I had was connecting the adapter to my iPhone when using a thick iPhone case. The adapter connected without any problem when using a thinner iPhone case though.

Hi fuzzywuz and thank you for your nice workaround for only €15 or $8 on Amazon!!! Cudos to you! I just made a video about your findings !
2022-10-14
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

fuzzywuz Posted at 9-12 04:09
Not the most elegant solution, but I got stereo recording working on my iPhone using the MeloAudio iOS adapter, USB-C female to iOS male adapter.

Many USB-C to lightning adapters do not support stereo channel sound, so finding one that did was critical. The MeloAudio adapter worked without any problems when attached to the USB-C output from the transmitter. The only issue I had was connecting the adapter to my iPhone when using a thick iPhone case. The adapter connected without any problem when using a thinner iPhone case though.
I did cut down the edges as I realised the plastic is quite thick and I can even mount it now on a cage with a thick port opening!
2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_zD8NWvgrATe0
New

Georgia

Any news about this issue after so long time? Could DJI explain why we cant get stereo audio with your device? If software update cant fix it, It would be great if you make new lightnight adapter and sell for cheap price and fix the problem!
2023-3-7
Use props
PPi
lvl.1

Finland

This was a slight letdown. It's still a good product, but I think DJI missed something here, as there certainly is a way to get stereo audio fed into the Lightning interface too. I have no technical knowledge if this would need a separate chip (audio interface) to achieve that, but certainly, it is doable. Interestingly, the USB-C piece uses all eight contacts on the receiver, while the Lightning piece only has four. Could this indicate that stereo audio will never be achieved with the current adapter, even with a software update?

Unfortunately, the current solution looks like using an external audio interface like RODE AI-Micro Ultracompact or Lightning to USB-C adapter, but not all are compatible. I can't find the MeloAudio adapter anywhere; it's not even mentioned on their website. I would be willing to buy an upgraded adapter piece for the receiver, but for the time being, it doesn't sound like DJI is making any progress here.
2023-3-14
Use props
fans1c0e5ada
lvl.1
United States

Jurgen3 Posted at 2022-6-10 01:51
it's an iPhone limitation... the Lightning adaptor only has mono sound input

I don’t think this is accurate, because stereo does work with the USB-C adapter into the lightning port.
2023-4-23
Use props
fans1c0e5ada
lvl.1
United States

Use this adapter and you can get stereo into the iPhone.

[Apple MFi Certified] USB C to Lightning Adapter Support 27W PD Fast Charging Compatible with iPhone iPad iPod (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/3j2Rl5W
2023-4-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans1c0e5ada Posted at 4-23 19:32

[Apple MFi Certified] USB C to Lightning Adapter Support 27W PD Fast Charging Compatible with iPhone iPad iPod (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/3j2Rl5W

I just ordered a 2 pack of these. I will test them out once they come in.
2023-8-16
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans1c0e5ada Posted at 4-23 19:32

These do not work. Don't waste your money on these. After I got them in, I tried them straight away with DJI Mic and the USB C connector and this adapter and my iphone would not even recognize  I had the receiver connected. Switch it back to it's own lightning connector and it recognized it straight away, in mono of course.
2023-8-18
Use props
DavidTS
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Simon87 Posted at 2022-9-19 13:57
Can confirm, lightning to USB camera adapter and a USB-A to USB-C cable does the trick - seen here with Meta Recorder in stereo.

Shows up as ‘Wireless Microphone RX’ in Meta Recorder.

Thanks very much. I tried this and it works perfectly to get stereo into my iPhone 12 Pro.
2023-12-20
Use props
TheIdol
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6417 ft
United States

DJI MIC & IPhone: How do I get a stereo signal? SOLVED

This works 100% Use a DJI Mic 2  

DJI MIC 2

DJI MIC 2
1-20 10:53
Use props