Anyone test out precision landing with Mini 3 Pro?
5399 32 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello...just curious if anyone has tested out auto precision landing ob the mini 3 pro.  I noticed o. The mini 2 that it certainly doesnt use precision landing as the Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 3 do.  Just wondering if DJI improved the accuracy of auto landing with the mini 3.
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic 2 didnt at launch either.  It was brought back by DJI reluctantly after a *lot* of pressure.
2022-5-19
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 09:56
The Mavic 2 didnt at launch either.  It was brought back by DJI reluctantly after a *lot* of pressure.

Assume you mean Mavic2pro  ? The Mini 2 doe's not have precision landing. There is no reason why the Mini 3 pro should not get precision landing in the future, it has the necessary downward sensors.
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I rarely use it myself but mini 2 always landed within a few inches of take off.   Roughly the same as Mavic 2 pro.   I’d not tested mini3 yet partly because mini2 was so good a few inches won’t make any difference.  And I can always take control if it was off.  
2022-5-19
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 12:26
I rarely use it myself but mini 2 always landed within a few inches of take off.   Roughly the same as Mavic 2 pro.   I’d not tested mini3 yet partly because mini2 was so good a few inches won’t make any difference.  And I can always take control if it was off.

Lets not go there again, you got a load of comments the last time in another thread, Mini 2 does not have precision landing, M2P has the hardware and lands precisely. My Mini 2 rarely gets within half a metre of take off position, I beg to differ with you on that as did several others in the other thread.
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 5-19 12:26
Assume you mean Mavic2pro  ? The Mini 2 doe's not have precision landing. There is no reason why the Mini 3 pro should not get precision landing in the future, it has the necessary downward sensors.

Same reason DJI officially stated they didn't add it to the M2P on launch as "nobody needs it".

Eventually pressure forced them to add it.

Might well be the same "nobody needs it" Mini 3 decision on launch.
2022-5-19
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

With the current firmware there is no support for precision landing, In a future firmware maybe there will add that function, but there is no point You can land the drone manually wherever You want or hand-land it
2022-5-19
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the replies everyone!   I have experienced the same "couple yards/meters" landing radius others have commented on here with my Mini 2.   I realize it isn't a necessary feature and I do enjoy the occasional manual landing on my Mavic 3, but there are times I get BS-ing with my neighbor and the battery runs down quite low and auto returns home....on the Mavic 3 it is nice to just watch it land itself right back on my pad and not have to either run over to manually land a drone or to bring over where we are chatting and hand catch it :-)   I was just curious if the Mini 3 Pro actually added such a feature...
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 5-19 17:58
Thanks for the replies everyone!   I have experienced the same "couple yards/meters" landing radius others have commented on here with my Mini 2.   I realize it isn't a necessary feature and I do enjoy the occasional manual landing on my Mavic 3, but there are times I get BS-ing with my neighbor and the battery runs down quite low and auto returns home....on the Mavic 3 it is nice to just watch it land itself right back on my pad and not have to either run over to manually land a drone or to bring over where we are chatting and hand catch it :-)   I was just curious if the Mini 3 Pro actually added such a feature...

I was just curious if the Mini 3 Pro actually added such a feature...

It doesn't ... just do a word search of the manual for precision and you find nothing about precision landing.
2022-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My Mini 2 can be feet away from the take-off point as I've shown on video i think, I've never liked that and had to hand catch it 99.9% of the time, had it had Precision Landing then i would have let it take off an land from the ground a lot more, as it is, it's not safe, especially as the props are so low to the ground, one wee blade of grass in the wrong place and issues arise, using my heli pad is just pointless. Therefore, I would like to see Precision Landing again and I think a poll should be added... folks that have never had this option do not know what they are missing out on, my P4P can land within inches of the take-off spot every time when PL is enabled, its a worthy feature and like i said, i feel that these Minis actually need it more than ever, and again, probably not been much call for it as many have never had a drone with the option before.
2022-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mavic 3 Raptor. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the new DJI Mini 3 Pro can give out the best information and there valued insights with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and keep flying.
2022-5-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-19 20:07
Hello there Mavic 3 Raptor. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the new DJI Mini 3 Pro can give out the best information and there valued insights with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and keep flying.

Of course we can, as we work at DJI and you work at LIDL or Kaufland...probably...
Is not your job to give this info? )))))
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 5-19 13:05
Lets not go there again, you got a load of comments the last time in another thread, Mini 2 does not have precision landing, M2P has the hardware and lands precisely. My Mini 2 rarely gets within half a metre of take off position, I beg to differ with you on that as did several others in the other thread.

Perhaps if I used it more often I would also have more failures.  But as I probably use it 5 times a year I dont have as much data as you do.
2022-5-19
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

here is a test i watched the other day...in summary precision landing on mini 3 is not very precise. It seems even mini 2 is way better. Best is nano. If DJI keeps up the good work the mini 3 might be my last DJI drone Good thing is i hand catch and don't count on RTH. But seeing how drone literally sits on the ground and there are no legs precision landing is a must:

2022-5-22
Use props
Paraski40
lvl.3

Canada

Good to remember, even the old Mavic Air had precision landing, and it was least expensive than the Mini 3 pro
2022-7-27
Use props
SemperFiGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45643 ft
United States

the Mini 3 Pro does not purport to have "precision landing".  I have made countless landings with my M3P and it never lands exactly on my landing pad.  It's always off by up to several feet, if not a little more.
2022-7-27
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

I thought that precision landing required a downward facing camera, not just the sensors, which are only good for measuring height.
2022-7-27
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Mini 2 is landing very precise to its homepoint, maybe one unit size near by, but i am rarely using it
2022-7-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Niknik Posted at 5-19 17:28
With the current firmware there is no support for precision landing, In a future firmware maybe there will add that function, but there is no point You can land the drone manually wherever You want or hand-land it

Agreed. I'm not positive how you even do precision landing. No kidding and I've got a bunch of drones. Lol
2022-7-27
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-27 17:08
Agreed. I'm not positive how you even do precision landing. No kidding and I've got a bunch of drones. Lol

You do have a lot of drones... Where is the Phantom 1 & 2 ?
2022-7-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-27 17:23
You do have a lot of drones... Where is the Phantom 1 & 2 ?

Never owned the Phantom 2 but my first DJI product was the Phantom FC40 back in 2014
2022-7-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-27 17:30
Never owned the Phantom 2 but my first DJI product was the Phantom FC40 back in 2014

Basically it was the standard original Phantom 1 with a fixed rubber mounted 720p camera. Eventually I mounted a Go-Pro like camera on it but subsequently lost in the Lake of the Ozarks. No return to home feature and approx. 15 minute flight time. They've come a long way Baby
2022-7-27
Use props
fans40f2a48a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 616978 ft
Australia

Mini 3 Pro does not have precision landing: but needs it! anything with Pro in the name shoiud have this pro feature.Accuracy of landing is not great.
My Spark has precision landing and its 5 years old now. It would land within cms of takeoff.
It's still going strong too. Hand gestures are amazing and a feature I miss

2022-9-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 7-27 11:01
Mini 2 is landing very precise to its homepoint, maybe one unit size near by, but i am rarely using it

Mini 2 was lucky to even hit the Heli pad, more like X feet away 99% of the time, so i gave up and just hand launched and land, that's exactly the same with the Mini 3 although he hand landing is made a bit more difficult due to the sensors so you have to hit sports mode. The Mini 3 Pro, being a "Pro" model should have the option for precision landing, more so because of its low to the ground and low footprint so a precise return location is needed. It is something i miss using with my P4P for sure.
2022-9-4
Use props
fans574cda0a
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Did anybody find that the landing pad with a big X on it helped?
2022-9-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans574cda0a Posted at 9-7 08:08
Did anybody find that the landing pad with a big X on it helped?

I have a big H on my pad and during testing it failed miserably, for this to work, the drone has to take a photo upon take-off and none of the Mini's do this, therefore it only works using the standard landing, generally at least a foot away, for me normally at least 2-3ft. Some have been luckier, but that's all it is, luck.
2022-9-7
Use props
Fernado
lvl.2

Portugal

fans574cda0a Posted at 2022-9-7 08:08
Did anybody find that the landing pad with a big X on it helped?

Yes, I believe it does. When landing, my Air 2S rotates as per take off and points the camera downward. I believe  that there is some image processing/matching behind and that it attempts to match the takeoff point.  This is much easier to do with a pad than with a non patterned landing site. The Air 2S seldom misses the pad. BTW, both my mini and mini 2 do not point the gimbal downward, they have a good landing accuracy, but not "precise" by any means (they may drift by 0.5m to 1.0m). Curiously, the mini 3 pro rotates to match the take off direction, but it does not points the gimbal downward, so I believe it does not have precision landing either. In any case, I barely use the pod and I  just use landing by hand, since it is usually safer in order to avoid any kind of obstacle (small stones, grass, etc) that may hamper the propellers.
2023-3-5
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Fernado Posted at 3-5 17:48
Yes, I believe it does. When landing, my Air 2S rotates as per take off and points the camera downward. I believe  that there is some image processing/matching behind and that it attempts to match the takeoff point.  This is much easier to do with a pad than with a non patterned landing site. The Air 2S seldom misses the pad. BTW, both my mini and mini 2 do not point the gimbal downward, they have a good landing accuracy, but not "precise" by any means (they may drift by 0.5m to 1.0m). Curiously, the mini 3 pro rotates to match the take off direction, but it does not points the gimbal downward, so I believe it does not have precision landing either. In any case, I barely use the pod and I  just use landing by hand, since it is usually safer in order to avoid any kind of obstacle (small stones, grass, etc) that may hamper the propellers.

... but I think the m3p would have the technical requirements to implement this function...
I am convinced that the downward sensors are also small cameras...   
2023-3-5
Use props
thomasoes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14695 ft
United Kingdom

Mini 3 pro would be great to have  precision landing with not haven the legs I always use a landing mat but it would be nice if it got somewere near it
2023-3-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thomasoes Posted at 3-6 02:35
Mini 3 pro would be great to have  precision landing with not haven the legs I always use a landing mat but it would be nice if it got somewere near it

Is there anything stopping anyone manually adjusting the horizontal positioning  of their drone during  automated landings?
if not then consider getting the drone to land on the pad as a test of the pilot's skill. With care and in windless conditions, I have just landed a Mini 2 on a Mavic Mini hard case.
2023-3-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 3-5 22:55
... but I think the m3p would have the technical requirements to implement this function...
I am convinced that the downward sensors are also small cameras...

Even if they are not cameras, the main camera could be used, i would have thought...
2023-3-6
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-6 03:13
Is there anything stopping anyone manually adjusting the horizontal positioning  of their drone during  automated landings?
if not then consider getting the drone to land on the pad as a test of the pilot's skill. With care and in windless conditions, I have just landed a Mini 2 on a Mavic Mini hard case.

Bingo! I never understood why precision landing was so sought after with the mini's. They can easily be landed in a shoebox.
2023-3-6
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

...is IMPRECISION landing )))))
2023-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now