Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
flying over open water
924 28 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AJ squared away
lvl.3

United States

Has anyone had experience flying over open water ? Manual says avoid bodies of water but then it says keep aircraft at least 3 m above water . It would it be safe to fly and maintain 100 ft and above with vlos ( maybe barely ) ? I want to get some shots over water and have seen some good ones out there but don't want to drop it in .  
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

would it be safe to fly and maintain 100 ft and above with vlos ( maybe barely ) ?
There is nothing about flying over water that's more risky than flying over land.
Mine has flown several thousand miles over open sea.
2022-5-19
Use props
Chris_Cain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323337 ft
United States

I am a newbie drone pilot and the M3 is my first drone.  I am VERY cautious flying my M3 and wasn't sure how much I could trust it being new to the drone world but the more I fly the more I feel comfortable with it.  I've flown mine numerous times now over Lake Michigan and haven't had any issues to date.  I don't think I've gone lower than 50ft from the surface though as I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube about people having issues flying over water and don't want to risk anything yet until I fully understand why/what might be the culprit.  The people state in most of the videos that because of the reflective and translucent nature of the water that it plays havoc with the downward-facing sensors which makes sense to me.  They suggested turning off the obstacle avoidance to avoid any issues but that is why I've stayed above 50ft or so to avoid any possible problems since I'm not willing to test it with my drone.  The other day I was curious and I did turn the sensors off and brought the drone down to maybe 2ft off the water surface (I was right at the water's edge though on the beach) and it was fine.  I didn't keep it there for very long but was interesting to try having the sensors off and I was directly next to the drone so I could grab it if something were to happen.   

51 Drones had a video a few months back where he's flying over snow and had issues with the drone gaining altitude on its own and Russ was wondering if it was due to the reflective snow messing with the sensors much like reflective water.  I had thought of and suggested to him getting some polarized UV window film (or something similar) and cutting a small piece to put over the downward-facing sensors to block the glare from the snow (and would work with the water too) as a possible fix for the issue.  It makes sense to me as sunglasses with polarized lenses and ND filters block the glare... why wouldn't the same principle work for the downward-facing sensors?!?!  I haven't personally tried it but definitely would if I had multiple drones and didn't care about one possibly going in the water if it didn't work.  I hope some sponsored YouTuber will hear about my idea and test it or if DJI wants to send me a drone I'd be more than happy to test it myself!    Until then I'll just stay high enough to make sure I don't have any issues.  

Long story short you'll be fine flying over water, just use caution as you would flying over land.  I hope my experience helps and you should definitely go for it!  
2022-5-19
Use props
Chris_Cain
lvl.2
United States

Here's one pic I've taken over water.  
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Chris_Cain Posted at 5-19 17:53
I am a newbie drone pilot and the M3 is my first drone.  I am VERY cautious flying my M3 and wasn't sure how much I could trust it being new to the drone world but the more I fly the more I feel comfortable with it.  I've flown mine numerous times now over Lake Michigan and haven't had any issues to date.  I don't think I've gone lower than 50ft from the surface though as I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube about people having issues flying over water and don't want to risk anything yet until I fully understand why/what might be the culprit.  The people state in most of the videos that because of the reflective and translucent nature of the water that it plays havoc with the downward-facing sensors which makes sense to me.  They suggested turning off the obstacle avoidance to avoid any issues but that is why I've stayed above 50ft or so to avoid any possible problems since I'm not willing to test it with my drone.  The other day I was curious and I did turn the sensors off and brought the drone down to maybe 2ft off the water surface (I was right at the water's edge though on the beach) and it was fine.  I didn't keep it there for very long but was interesting to try having the sensors off and I was directly next to the drone so I could grab it if something were to happen.   

51 Drones had a video a few months back where he's flying over snow and had issues with the drone gaining altitude on its own and Ray was wondering if it was due to the reflective snow messing with the sensors much like reflective water.  I had thought of and suggested to him getting some polarized UV window film (or something similar) and cutting a small piece to put over the downward-facing sensors to block the glare from the snow (and would work with the water too) as a possible fix for the issue.  It makes sense to me as sunglasses with polarized lenses and ND filters block the glare... why wouldn't the same principle work for the downward-facing sensors?!?!  I haven't personally tried it but definitely would if I had multiple drones and didn't care about one possibly going in the water if it didn't work.  I hope some sponsored YouTuber will hear about my idea and test it or if DJI wants to send me a drone I'd be more than happy to test it myself!    Until then I'll just stay high enough to make sure I don't have any issues.  

The people state in most of the videos that because of the reflective and translucent nature of the water that it plays havoc with the downward-facing sensors which makes sense to me.  
This topic is much misunderstood and if you listen to youtube videos, you'll hear a lot of myths.
The downward facing sensors have trouble locking on to the water's surface like they can with land surfaces.
Because of that they cannot assist in horizontal position holding like they can on land.
But that shouldn't cause any problems.

2022-5-19
Use props
AJ squared away
lvl.3

United States

Chris_Cain Posted at 5-19 17:55
Here's one pic I've taken over water.  
[view_image]

Great Shot , Thank you
2022-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AJ squared away. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-181878-1-1.html
2022-5-19
Use props
AJ squared away
lvl.3

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-19 20:17
Hello there AJ squared away. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Thanks DJI Stephen , The forum thread link was helpful  . I wasn't sure what you meant by accuracy range that could cause an issue . Did you mean the max transmission range capability of the RC Pro or ?
2022-5-19
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

The only difference between flying over land and water is recoverability in case of an accident but over water possibility of one is far less (trees are missing )
So in a moment, you realize You are not on the drone and this is only money - you can fly and enjoy any terrain
2022-5-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've flown over the sea numerous times, and over lakes and reservoirs, without incident, with four different drones large and small.  All I would say is, don't try to get too low. And be very aware of wind shear and changes of wind direction. Fly safe.
2022-5-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-19 20:17
Hello there AJ squared away. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Hi stephen,

Nice link   but on the DJI fly app you cannot disable the bottom sensor.
It is time to make new video for the FlyApp flying over water....

Not sure what you are telling us, with a non function vision position (inside or outside its range) why an accident might happen ??
In any other situation where the vision sensors doen not sense (dark !) does this "accident might happen" is also applicable ?
I will give you the answer : ofcourse not

cheers
JJB
2022-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Chris_Cain Posted at 5-19 17:53
I am a newbie drone pilot and the M3 is my first drone.  I am VERY cautious flying my M3 and wasn't sure how much I could trust it being new to the drone world but the more I fly the more I feel comfortable with it.  I've flown mine numerous times now over Lake Michigan and haven't had any issues to date.  I don't think I've gone lower than 50ft from the surface though as I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube about people having issues flying over water and don't want to risk anything yet until I fully understand why/what might be the culprit.  The people state in most of the videos that because of the reflective and translucent nature of the water that it plays havoc with the downward-facing sensors which makes sense to me.  They suggested turning off the obstacle avoidance to avoid any issues but that is why I've stayed above 50ft or so to avoid any possible problems since I'm not willing to test it with my drone.  The other day I was curious and I did turn the sensors off and brought the drone down to maybe 2ft off the water surface (I was right at the water's edge though on the beach) and it was fine.  I didn't keep it there for very long but was interesting to try having the sensors off and I was directly next to the drone so I could grab it if something were to happen.   

51 Drones had a video a few months back where he's flying over snow and had issues with the drone gaining altitude on its own and Ray was wondering if it was due to the reflective snow messing with the sensors much like reflective water.  I had thought of and suggested to him getting some polarized UV window film (or something similar) and cutting a small piece to put over the downward-facing sensors to block the glare from the snow (and would work with the water too) as a possible fix for the issue.  It makes sense to me as sunglasses with polarized lenses and ND filters block the glare... why wouldn't the same principle work for the downward-facing sensors?!?!  I haven't personally tried it but definitely would if I had multiple drones and didn't care about one possibly going in the water if it didn't work.  I hope some sponsored YouTuber will hear about my idea and test it or if DJI wants to send me a drone I'd be more than happy to test it myself!    Until then I'll just stay high enough to make sure I don't have any issues.  

You cannot turn off bottom sensors , or maybe you’re using an M2.
2022-5-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's one pic I've taken over water.  
[view_image]

Wow, great shot!
2022-5-20
Use props
Chris_Cain
lvl.2
United States

Thank you AJ squared away and DowntownRDB for the compliment!  I appreciate it.  
2022-5-20
Use props
Chris_Cain
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-19 23:58
You cannot turn off bottom sensors , or maybe you’re using an M2.

Oh... I thought that when you turn off the obstacle avoidance sensors it turned them all off.
2022-5-20
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just don't fly low over the water, there's rarely a time you need to do this.

Not sure why people panic about water when it's safer than flying in most other places (less likely to cause injury or damage). Land or water, it's unlikely to survive a crash either way.
2022-5-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

A couple of my clips over water so you can see the reality for yourself. (No, I am not trying to promote my videos.)

Apart from rogue waves that suddenly build up, dolphins being playful and leaping up to catch the drone, seagulls that think it's a fish and for very low altitude direction changes.
The last of these you can test in safety by hovering close to you at eye height and pushing the stick fully to accelerate. You may notice a momentary drop in height as the drone starts to move. Combine the drop with a wave and you might have a problem.
The old P3P and Mavic Pro have always behaved safely over the sea and still clear water, for me.
2022-5-20
Use props
AJ squared away
lvl.3

United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-20 08:50
A couple of my clips over water so you can see the reality for yourself. (No, I am not trying to promote my videos.)

Skimming the waves

Those are great clips ! A little narration and you have a Documentary , seriously
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_djzm7CHEHNnv
New

United Kingdom

I've flown over a lake at about 2ft no problem but it was quite a nervous time.
2022-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AJ squared away Posted at 5-20 09:23
Those are great clips ! A little narration and you have a Documentary , seriously
I really hope that nobody is sucked in by this idiot troll because that’s all he is

NGC That’s him.
2022-5-20
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water 99% of my flights thousands of miles.
2022-5-20
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's one pic I've taken over water.  
[view_image]

Wow Chris that’s a beautiful shot I’ve actually have had no fear when flying my Mavic 3 close to the water but I guess I should but my worse fear when flying close to water is weirdly enough a fish jumping out and grabbing it!
2022-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 5-22 22:14
Wow Chris that’s a beautiful shot I’ve actually have had no fear when flying my Mavic 3 close to the water but I guess I should but my worse fear when flying close to water is weirdly enough a fish jumping out and grabbing it!

my worse fear when flying close to water is weirdly enough a fish jumping out and grabbing it!
Simple solution ... fly higher.
2022-5-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I do this all the time. The only issue is the downward sensors that can get confused (and if you don't pay attention, it will cost you a drone)
2022-5-31
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Not sure this is helpful. In my experience, it's ok to fly over water at decent altitude (have not tried lower than 10 meters over a river). You can always use your drone's zoom function if you need closer video / shot of water or you can try using a cheaper drone like mini 3 pro, in this case drone loss would not cost you this much as Mavic 3s are expensive.
2022-5-31
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water 95% of my flights...Never an issue...

2022-6-1
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

The primary difference flying over water vs land is emotional.  I've had a lot more butt-puckering experiences over water than I have over land...
2022-6-2
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

My drone has crashed several times, all involving trees and it has always been recovered. It has yet to hit a tree while flying over water (ha), but it's more nerve-wracking because losing it is almost guaranteed if it takes a dive. Otherwise, flying over water should pose no problems, keeping in mind that if you fly low enough, the downward sensor can get confused.
2022-6-2
Use props
BladeZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over the lake where we live all the time with no issues. I also don’t go any closer than about 20 ft over the water either.
2022-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules