Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mini 3 Pro - for photogrammetry use - It currently sucks
12Next >
31487 67 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Hi,

I just have received your DJI 3 Mini with the DJI-RC.
I

But my first experiences are mixed to more or less negative:

I knew that the SDK was not available yet, so App providers like Litschi, DroneHoarmony or DroneLink are currently not able to support the Mini 3 Pro, yet.

So two questions:
  • will there be an SDK (coming soon) for the App providers
  • (how) will it work with the DJI-RC - As (currently) it is impossible  to install Apps on your Remote -
    I might even prefer to plan a mission on an wirelessly connected iPad / PC - or is my current configuration a dead end?
  • Will it be possible to install apps on your DJI-RC (maybe even with an DJI App/ feature store)

But using Focus Track, it would have some adavntages for a quick 48 PixelsHiRes scan.
  • Unfortunately it seems to be  impossible to do interval shooting 48Megapixel photos while using Focus Track - a limitation that is not documented in any of your manuals FAQs
  • Also the RAW DNGs are only supporting 8Bit  - also not mentioned in your Tech Spec.
  • How can the focus point of the lense be set (inelligently), could it be set independant from the Spot measurement (like on an iPhone?) - there is not much (nothing) be found  in your tutorials / manuals

Beside the missing HDMI port / USBC-Monitor out of your new DJI-RC and not having any other options with the DJI-RC
(it would help to get some screen sharing like Google Cast / Airplay or Miracast. But even this is blocked / Not supported on your new remote.

So currently is is a step back from your Mini 2 which is supported by the 3rd party App providers using your SDK.

What about the Mini3 Pro <-> DJI RC  radio range - could & will this be fixed?
The current test by other users really seem to be far from the distances you are promising in your Mini 3 Pro TechSpecs.

To be honest, it sucks paying a quite a premium price - to find out that I made a (big) step back.

Due to weight restrictions of <250g it would make a lot of sense to enable these advanced features
(Maybe even as paid software feature upgrade) like:

Your Mini 3 Pro hardware seems to be really capable, hopefully your marketing department is not limiting your success by stripping down the features too much.

Dear DJI support,
Thanks a lot for getting a glimpse what to expect on the Mini 3, soon.

Janosch

PS.:
If there are no a kind of positive outlook an upcoming (soon) arriving firmware updates for removing some of these limitations, I am about to return the Mini 3 ;-(

Update: First proof of concept on Sketchfab for photogrammetry:
https://skfb.ly/ouCzv  - The quality of the mesh and texture is much better, but Sketchfab is scaling it down.

But flying it all manually is a true pain, I still don't understand why neither Focus Track nor Interval works with 48MPixel photos.

2022-5-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you seriously bought the Mini 3 to fit the use case of photogrammetry, you may need to be tested for illicit drug use.
2022-5-19
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

if it makes you feel any better, Mavic 3, which is a much more capable and advanced drone, suffers from similar lack of features for more than 6 months already, and there is no end for the wait. My sincere recommendation is to return for the full price while you still can.
2022-5-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Wouldn't "photogrammetry" require drone's camera be equipped with LiDAR?
2022-5-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We knew before the launch that 3rd party apps cannot be installed at this time and due to the lack of HDD space, probably never.

You know, if DJI made an addon HDMI module, this would be a great seller and a great selling point for the Mini 3 Pro, we all know that USB-C can carry HDMI, so why on earth DJI didn't include this output on the host USB-C port is beyond me, and there is no way in hell that they would vastly increase sales on the RC Pro just for the HDMI out, but had they included it on this new screened remote, i feel they would have gotten many more sales for the screened package what with many of us with paperweight goggles.....
2022-5-19
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

You bought the wrong drone
2022-5-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If you are addressing your concerns to DJI, then a more effective way is to go out your back door and speak into the wind, that way you are far more likely to get an answer than posting here.
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-19 19:41

No ... DJI has made several very good drones for photogrammetry and none of them have lidar
2022-5-19
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 991706 ft
Japan

I saw a video this morning about how the video on the Mini3 has been updated to support 10bit. Perhaps the DNGs will get some love

I think you'll have to wait for the SDK and and I expect you'll need a standard controller with mobile phone to use the Dronelink and Litchi apps

I have used my mini 2 for a fair bit of photogrammetry. I also had an Air2, but I upgraded to an Air2s

I'd love to see a data set with 12mp vs 48mp. The Air 2 had terrible 48mp images. just noise. I've read that the Mini3 sensor -while suffering the same fundamental limitation- is much better
2022-5-19
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-19 19:41

Photogrammetry works well with applications like RealityCapture just with photos. As drone data is also embedded into the pictures Meta Data, it would work pretty well....
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Labroides Posted at 5-19 21:51
No ... DJI has made several very good drones for photogrammetry and none of them have lidar

Sent you link to a dataset of my today photos (12 / 48 MPix) RAW & JPEG via PM
Where did you find the video about the 10 Bit RAW upgrade
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 5-19 20:36
You bought the wrong drone

Which one would you recommend?

Parrot ANAFI AI?
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Bashy Posted at 5-19 19:54
We knew before the launch that 3rd party apps cannot be installed at this time and due to the lack of HDD space, probably never.

You know, if DJI made an addon HDMI module, this would be a great seller and a great selling point for the Mini 3 Pro, we all know that USB-C can carry HDMI, so why on earth DJI didn't include this output on the host USB-C port is beyond me, and there is no way in hell that they would vastly increase sales on the RC Pro just for the HDMI out, but had they included it on this new screened remote, i feel they would have gotten many more sales for the screened package what with many of us with paperweight goggles.....

The HDD would support at least some Apps. it have about > 2.64 GB of free HDD space on the remote.
As it is running Android 10 it is a limitation done by their DJI Marketing Team.
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Janosch Posted at 5-20 00:29
Which one would you recommend?

Parrot ANAFI AI?

One from here:
https://help.dronedeploy.com/hc/ ... nd-Supported-Drones
2022-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Janosch Posted at 5-20 00:29
Which one would you recommend?

Parrot ANAFI AI?

Phantom 4pro
2022-5-20
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to look for a drone with a much better lens, and adjustable aperture and ideally mechanical shutter because you need very sharp and detailed images for processing. P4Pro is a popular choice for that use. While the tiny lens on the Mini is surprising capable, it is soft in the edges and the fixed f/1.7 aperture will not give the sharp results you need.
2022-5-20
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Given even the flagship mavic 3 coming up to a year after release DJI still havent bothered with the SDK or 3rd party apps id be stunned if they can be bothered with the mini 3.

Nobody sane would buy a tiny sensor, high rolling shutter, basic camera drone for photogrammetry.  Nobody.

It is not and never will be suitable for it.  The hardware simply isn't good enough.

2022-5-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Janosch Posted at 5-20 00:35
The HDD would support at least some Apps. it have about > 2.64 GB of free HDD space on the remote.
As it is running Android 10 it is a limitation done by their DJI Marketing Team.

It may have that available but I bet it soon uses it up for cache memory, maps, log file video etc, I would be surprised if DJI opens the platform for 3rd party apps. That's not to say it isn't possible, someone may find a way....
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Bashy Posted at 5-20 02:57
It may have that available but I bet it soon uses it up for cache memory, maps, log file video etc, I would be surprised if DJI opens the platform for 3rd party apps. That's not to say it isn't possible, someone may find a way....

Android would (afaik) even support launching apps from the SD card.

But you are right this is another good argument to return the Mini 3 - as DJI is not commenting if a SDK would support the Mini 3 with their DJI-RC at any time in the future as their current SDK architecture is based on an IOS / Android device connected to a remote....
2022-5-20
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This.
All the functions required combined with a global shutter.
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

TonyPHX Posted at 5-19 19:30
If you seriously bought the Mini 3 to fit the use case of photogrammetry, you may need to be tested for illicit drug use.

Which sub 250gr drone would you recommend instead?
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Janosch Posted at 5-20 15:27

None
Look at the list of supported drones from DroneDeploy.
They have no minis listed as suitable for flight.
To properly do photogrammetry, you need a drone that can sun a mapping app to plan, fly and acquire the images.
There aren't any mini drones that can do that.
You need the right tool for the job abd a mini isn't it.
2022-5-20
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Labroides Posted at 5-20 16:24
None
Look at the list of supported drones from DroneDeploy.
They have no minis listed as suitable for flight.

There’ are  two methods drones are being controlled by one is sending waypoints to the drone as DroneDeploy does it.  None of the Minis support this method

The second is so simulate stick movements. This is supported by the all Minis (1,2,SE) but not the Mini3.
I know of 3 solutions for the Minis:

DroneHarmony
—> https://droneharmony.com/DH_Supported-Hardware-Software.pdf
DroneLink
—>  https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025829933-What-are-the-system-requirements-
Litchi (to some extend)
—> https://flylitchi.com/new
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Janosch Posted at 5-20 22:05
There’ are  two methods drones are being controlled by one is sending waypoints to the drone as DroneDeploy does it.  None of the Minis support this method

The second is so simulate stick movements. This is supported by the all Minis (1,2,SE) but not the Mini3.

Litchi is not a mapping program.
If you are serious about wanting to do mapping, you want a drone that has the ability to fly proper waypoints rather than using the virtual joystick method.
2022-5-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

lol, ah.... NO.
This question is moot.  You are trying to mow 300 acres with a weed whacker.
2022-5-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

lol, ah.... NO.
This question is moot.  You are trying to mow 300 acres with a weed whacker.
2022-5-21
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Labroides Posted at 5-21 05:29
Litchi is not a mapping program.
If you are serious about wanting to do mapping, you want a drone that has the ability to fly proper waypoints rather than using the virtual joystick method.

Understood I see Litchi as a helper tool.
Litchi would be very useful useful for generating a first overview over a site an then execute the automatically generated flight pattern from Metashape Pro:
--> https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000157953-mission-planning-for-complex-structures

Is the 99 Waypoint limit still existing in DJI mapping solution?

It would be interesting how the 48 MPix sensor of the Mini 3 Pro and the   Anafi Ai compares to the 20 MPix of the Phantom 4Pro

Seeing this sensor comparison it might get interesting:

2022-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Janosch Posted at 5-21 13:22
Litchi would be very useful useful for generating a first overview over a site an then execute the automatically generated flight pattern from Metashape Pro:
--> https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000157953-mission-planning-for-complex-structures

You'd be better using a proper mapping app to do the planning, flying and image acquisition.
Then use Metashape to create the orthophoto from the images
2022-5-21
Use props
Janosch
lvl.2
Germany

Okay, interesting find on DJIs developer page:

The Mini 3 Pro SDK ist to be released around End of August

DJI: @Currently, MSDK V5 only supports the M30 series.
It will support M300RTK(H20 series, L1 and P1) in late June.
It will support Mavic 3 series and Mini 3 Pro around end of August as well as H20N for M300.@

--> Source is to be found here:
https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en-us/articles/5976502476441-Chapter-1-Hello-MSDK-V5-
2022-5-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Janosch Posted at 5-21 13:22

Its not a 48mpix sensor - its 12.

It uses a Quad Bayer filter to "produce" a 48mpix image which is lacking in sharpness and has more artefacts than the 12.

Every single real world sample shows the 48mp image to be inferior in image quality than the 12.
Which you'd expect.

2022-5-22
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-21 15:26
You'd be better using a proper mapping app to do the planning, flying and image acquisition.
Then use Metashape to create the orthophoto from the images

Exactly.
Proper calculated altitudes to get the required GSD and ideally terrain aware if supported.

Even for 3D the ability for accurate cross hatch and so on is pretty essential.

If you're doing a job, use the correct tool for the job.
2022-5-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. First of all, we would like to express our sincere gratitude to our customers for all your interest and support in our new product. For the question and issue you mentioned in the post, we consulted with our designated teams and will separate them into several points and answer below.
1.  About the SDK and the installations of third-party apps on DJI RC, we have not received any information currently. Please stay tuned to our official website for the relevant information.
2. Unfortunately it seems to be  impossible to do interval shooting 48Megapixel photos while using Focus Track - a limitation that is not documented in any of your manuals FAQs
We have forwarded your feedback to our designated teams. Sorry for your inconvenience.
3. DNG 12MP is 12bit, while 48MP is10bit.
4. How can the focus point of the lense be set (inelligently), could it be set independant from the Spot measurement (like on an iPhone?) - there is not much (nothing) be found  in your tutorials / manuals We are sorry that this function is not available now.
5. Beside the missing HDMI port / USBC-Monitor out of your new DJI-RC and not having any other options with the DJI-RC (it would help to get some screen sharing like Google Cast / Airplay or Miracast. But even this is blocked / Not supported on your new remote.
Due to the design, we are sorry that this function can not be realized for now.
6.  What about the Mini3 Pro <-> DJI RC  radio range - could & will this be fixed?
The capacity of DJI-RC and RC-N1 on the image transmission and performance test is basically identical. The image transmission range varies with many factors which include location/country, control, and habits, signal interference out of the environment and obstructions, etc. Concerning the rapid change of the signal on the remote controller screen, we will optimize it in the later release firmware version.
2022-5-23
Use props
fansd7299fc4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-19 21:51

Yeah. Ive used my now aging P4P for photogrammetry, though not commercially, and it just uses the camera. Photogrammetry doesnt need LiDAR, just images and metadata.
2022-6-2
Use props
djiuser_k1mNAJgCmtBN
lvl.2

Italy

TonyPHX Posted at 5-19 19:30

Why not? I made it with mini 2, georeferenced with GCP in urban area (the simplest way to fly in urban scenario in Italy,  for now). I had quite good results tested with topographic equipment and I think that with mini 3 they should be better with more resolution. I hope it'll have sdk sooner, for being able to plan map mission. For now, I will use my little great mini 2.
2022-8-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_k1mNAJgCmtBN Posted at 8-5 05:31
Why not? I made it with mini 2, georeferenced with GCP in urban area (the simplest way to fly in urban scenario in Italy,  for now). I had quite good results tested with topographic equipment and I think that with mini 3 they should be better with more resolution. I hope it'll have sdk sooner, for being able to plan map mission. For now, I will use my little great mini 2.

It's a stretch for commercial work.  But ok.
2022-8-5
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mini 3 Pro without “Pro” capabilities. Even the Mini 2 without being “Pro” have few advantages! How did DJI make users to fall on this??
2022-8-5
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Janosch Posted at 5-21 16:03
Okay, interesting find on DJIs developer page:

The Mini 3 Pro SDK ist to be released around End of August

Android only.  No iOS support for Apple iPhones or iPads.  
2022-8-5
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

SDK is running about a year behind drone release.
2022-8-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 8-5 11:00
SDK is running about a year behind drone release.

@Brian - which I hate that it has that kind of lag time, but I can live with it, as long as they ultimately deliver.
2022-8-7
Use props
Thomas_
lvl.1

Germany

Hyperlapse waypoint missions are stored as human-readable jsons. If modifying those files is an option, preplanned surveys could be still possible as a workaround while we are waiting for the sdk.
2022-8-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules