Is DJI RC or RC-N1 better on Mini 3 Pro (range test)
7480 21 2022-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Time for a Range Test with DJI RC and DJI Mini 2 RC-N1 on DJI Mini 3 Pro - Firmware is v01.00.0100 and I have eliminated all Bluetooth and Wifi Sources on both phone and controller to test the real range and flight time of an abandoned airfield.   

What controller will do best new or old?

2022-5-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the actual signal is the same on both and although the indicator showed worse on the Rc it went just as far. I think the software in the Rc controller is perhaps showing incorrect feedback to the signal indicator

Either way and despite the specs and all the discussion about LOS...... 2500 m is a very long way to fly a drone and should be way far enough for most people. It is certainly way further than I would ever fly.

If you were actually filming at that range for a few mins the battery would be being pushed anyway
2022-5-20
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

That was an excellent test Henrik. Thank you so much for doing this. Now I feel really interested in the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro.
2022-5-20
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Thanks for doing this comparison Henrik.
2022-5-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... unfortunately you have to (for good reception) align the controller (DJI RC or RC N1) very precisely in the direction of the drone, both vertically and horizontally...
The further the drone is from the remote control, the more important this alignment is, as the field strength decreases with the square of the distance (simple physical explanation!).

You (and many others) don't always follow this rule and are then surprised that the connection is worse than it would actually be if you followed this important rule...

If you show yourself in YouTube videos, it would be particularly desirable if you followed this rule....
2022-5-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Range looks much better compared to your last tests.
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curious my N1 controller disconnects after 1200m and doesnt have suck a smooth video feed. The DJI RC worked better.
2022-5-21
Use props
ResonatorUAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1671280 ft
United Kingdom

A good test of both controllers. Thanks Henrik.
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-20 22:44
That was an excellent test Henrik. Thank you so much for doing this. Now I feel really interested in the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro.

There is no such beast as the Mini 3 they are all the Mini 3 Pro.... or the Frog
2022-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 5-20 23:12
... unfortunately you have to (for good reception) align the controller (DJI RC or RC N1) very precisely in the direction of the drone, both vertically and horizontally...
The further the drone is from the remote control, the more important this alignment is, as the field strength decreases with the square of the distance (simple physical explanation!).

I've tried explaining this to others but they act like I'm a crazy person lol
2022-5-21
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hi frankymusik,
Very good that you keep saying this, as well as that DJI do the same too many many time. It will make a big difference. Expert should be well aware if this.
2022-5-21
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-21 00:40
There is no such beast as the Mini 3 they are all the Mini 3 Pro.... or the Frog

Yes I know, but some times the fingers can slip. I was also under the forum thread Mini 3 Pro when I entered my comment.
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are no rules..... Thank god......... You vill line up Ze Remote control properly or zer vill be huge consequences for you
2022-5-21
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-21 02:15
There are no rules..... Thank god......... You vill line up Ze Remote control properly or zer vill be huge consequences for you
Sorry but I couldn't understand your comment...

"There is no direction you should/must point the RC?"
Do you mean this...?
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 5-21 02:52
Sorry but I couldn't understand your comment...

"There is no direction you should/must point the RC?"

No it was a Joke.

You are being far to exact and Precise and dare I say German.... People will never hold it exactly right in real life
2022-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's the point, you HAVE to hold it precisely when further away, dotn take our word for it, get off the forum and try it, make sure you're away from any metal, make sure the radar is shown and that the RC indicator is actually pointing at the drone, if not the calibrate the controller. You need that indicator working, you need to to be pointing bang on at the drone icon and green, you need to also point the controller lower towards the horizon once the drone is a good way out, cause pointing the controller at a comfortable angle of 45 degrees isn't at the drone, you're sending thw signal to a satellite lol please, go try it, you will be surprised ;)
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-21 03:32
That's the point, you HAVE to hold it precisely when further away, dotn take our word for it, get off the forum and try it, make sure you're away from any metal, make sure the radar is shown and that the RC indicator is actually pointing at the drone, if not the calibrate the controller. You need that indicator working, you need to to be pointing bang on at the drone icon and green, you need to also point the controller lower towards the horizon once the drone is a good way out, cause pointing the controller at a comfortable angle of 45 degrees isn't at the drone, you're sending thw signal to a satellite lol please, go try it, you will be surprised ;)

Might I respectively suggest you go buy one and try it....... Please be aware that trying all these things for the benefit of others..... Many of whom don't listen takes time and effort. especially if you live in a no fly zone as I do....... I say again I am very happy with the range I am getting and so will most people be in my view.
I am happy with how mine is and will not be updating anything untill there is somthing that I am unhappy with. I have learnt that over many years. If it aint broke dont fix it
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-21 03:32

Have you actually got a Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller.... Because you seem to know one heck of a lot about it
2022-5-21
Use props
iivan004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274229 ft
Bulgaria

Deleted
2022-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-21 03:38
Have you actually got a Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller.... Because you seem to know one heck of a lot about it

Nope but i know how to fly long distances and all drones are the same, You live not too far from me, we could meet halfway and find somewhere away from urban areas, let me see whats going on, i can bring my Mini 2 and P4P and show you...
2022-5-21
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

very good test flight Henrik
2022-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain