883 31 2022-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So much is being said about the range of this drone. I am happy with Mine here in the U.K. I would urge people to only listen to those that actually have the drone and have flown it. I love my little frog
2022-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 So far so good with mine.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're obviously upset by something, care to elaborate, ie explain why you felt the need to make such a statement?  
Is there anything that i have said incorrect or misleading?
2022-5-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-22 00:31
You're obviously upset by something, care to elaborate, ie explain why you felt the need to make such a statement?  
Is there anything that i have said incorrect or misleading?

You seem to think that was aimed at you it wasn't.......... It was just to try and help others who are trying to decide.

There is so much that is good about this drone and the whole range thing is overshadowing things and to be honest it is not a real issue........ Youtubers love to sensationalise and love bad things like all news agencies.

Lets see how my poll goes when we have enough results in.

I think you would agree however that the best advice comes from those ordinary folks who have bought and use the drone
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, it did feel that way a bit.

The distance is over shadowing it for a good reason though, it is a major aspect of the drone and a selling point, to many, it's not about the actual distance to many of us though, if distance is poor then close in work will be compromised too.
2022-5-22
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

Love the drone but with my unit anyway the signal quality is a major sticking point, and for many others too. Just saw another range test this morning "only" 1200 meters before RTH  in a flat rural environment

1) The fact that my Mini 3 Pro is being outperformed by my original Mini in the same conditions and environment is a problem
2) That it cost three times as much and boasts "flagship" level O3 transmission with this real world performance is a problem
3) That RC orientation is so important and yet the blue orientation dot randomly comes and goes leaving me blind in this regard is a problem
4) That DJI rates the CE model for 1.5 - 3.0km in urban, heavy interference environments when we don't get half of that in rural environments is a problem

It is clear for many of us that there is an issue with the signal quality and range.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-22 01:31
Yeah, it did feel that way a bit.

The distance is over shadowing it for a good reason though, it is a major aspect of the drone and a selling point, to many, it's not about the actual distance to many of us though, if distance is poor then close in work will be compromised too.

But close in work is not compromised and in my view distance is not poor
2022-5-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyBoo Posted at 5-22 02:42
Love the drone but with my unit anyway the signal quality is a major sticking point, and for many others too. Just saw another range test this morning "only" 1200 meters before RTH  in a flat rural environment

1) The fact that my Mini 3 Pro is being outperformed by my original Mini in the same conditions and environment is a problem

Despite the whole LOS thing which lets be honest most ignor........ Why would you ever want to fly more than 1200m
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyBoo Posted at 5-22 02:42

Only one point needs adjusting #4, that's not for CE that's for FCC @ 4w and CE 0.4w so you can bet that 1.5k drops to no more than 1k max for strong interference

Perhaps you could participate in the poll?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D776%26typeid%3D776

2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-22 03:07
Despite the whole LOS thing which lets me honest most ignor........ Why would you ever want to fly more than 1200m

The point is, the Mini 2 and some also say their mini 1 outperforms the MM3P, that's the crux of the matter.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will point out though, that 1200m above is quite good  if you took off from within that village, that's about what i can get in my village with my mm2 then LOS is lost, i don't actually mean sight, just the line of
2022-5-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-22 03:06
But close in work is not compromised and in my view distance is not poor

I though you lost signal in your video when the drone was behind you 200 meters?
2022-5-22
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Without getting into distances achieved, I went for a fly this morning and lets just say........I went far....very far. My height was 56m and the distance in a straight line was quite surprising.  I have noticed the controller handheld position appears to be more crucial now along with the direction you are pointing the controller.   I noticed an interesting blurb in DJI marketing on the unit and that is that it can do up to 12km on 1080p 30p. Why would they say this? Well, is the range reduced for 4K 60P in order to allow for fluid quality of footage on the remote? Perhaps users should try testing in 1080p and not 4K. I only worked this out tonight and so will try again tomorrow to see if 1080p filming results in an increased power output from the RC.
2022-5-22
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

Despite the whole LOS thing which lets me honest most ignor........ Why would you ever want to fly more than 1200m

I bought my drone for travel mainly. I have a trip coming up to Greenland in June, and Oman later in the year which I was hoping to get some nice footage. It may be ok there as even with the Mini in remote places I could get 2km.

The point is confidence in the feed. Realistically I'm not flying out more than 2km but if the feed is breaking up at 500 meters while I'm trying to take some nice footage of something, or circling around something that is a problem. In the real world we are not flying drones out in a straight line over fields.

I was in Dubrovnik a few weeks ago with the Mini and the experience was horrendous. Drop out after 100 - 200 meters. I was looking forward to improving that greatly with the Mini 3 but if it performs similarly or even worse than that is a problem for me.

Add to that it is a product that is just not performing to the manufacturers specs which isn't ideal for anything that you have paid good money for.
2022-5-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 5-22 03:36
Without getting into distances achieved, I went for a fly this morning and lets just say........I went far....very far. My height was 56m and the distance in a straight line was quite surprising.  I have noticed the controller handheld position appears to be more crucial now along with the direction you are pointing the controller.   I noticed an interesting blurb in DJI marketing on the unit and that is that it can do up to 12km on 1080p 30p. Why would they say this? Well, is the range reduced for 4K 60P in order to allow for fluid quality of footage on the remote? Perhaps users should try testing in 1080p and not 4K. I only worked this out tonight and so will try again tomorrow to see if 1080p filming results in an increased power output from the RC.

1080p @ 12km is the max. transmision distance (range) for FCC area (8km in CE) for the video downlink between the RC and the drone. On the Mini2 it is only 720p.
It is independent from the max. flight distance and the video mode you are recording on the drone itself.
2022-5-22
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

Without getting into distances achieved, I went for a fly this morning and lets just say........I went far....very far. My height was 56m and the distance in a straight line was quite surprising.  I have noticed the controller handheld position appears to be more crucial now along with the direction you are pointing the controller.   I noticed an interesting blurb in DJI marketing on the unit and that is that it can do up to 12km on 1080p 30p. Why would they say this? Well, is the range reduced for 4K 60P in order to allow for fluid quality of footage on the remote? Perhaps users should try testing in 1080p and not 4K. I only worked this out tonight and so will try again tomorrow to see if 1080p filming results in an increased power output from the RC.

Yes that is interesting but unfortunately I haven't seen any improvement in 1080p over 4k myself but maybe others have?
2022-5-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I am still excited getting mine finally in hopefully 2 weeks.
I don't care about these useless and endless discussions about range as it is, as far as i saw, equal to the Mini2.
2022-5-22
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

Bashy Posted at 5-22 03:07
Only one point needs adjusting #4, that's not for CE that's for FCC @ 4w and CE 0.4w so you can bet that 1.5k drops to no more than 1k max for strong interference

Perhaps you could participate in the poll?

Ah I see, fair enough.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can do up to 12km in 1080 / 30  on the controller screen, that's how i took that info...

My mini 2 went as far as the battery allowed me at a height of mostly 17 to 27m no higher, it reached this battery allowable distance because it was foggy and low fog at that and i stayed under the fog for the most part, so the signal was bouncing off the ground and reflecting off the fog, So height isn't be all and end all, yes it can help most of the time, but there are other factors in the environment that can affect in an adverse way or help you.

Another is a warm day, this can make the props work harder because the air is not as dense as it is when its colder, colder air, better lift, lest strain on the props > motors > battery....
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 5-22 03:54
1080p @ 12km is the max. transmision distance (range) for FCC area (8km in CE) for the video downlink between the RC and the drone. On the Mini2 it is only 720p.
It is independent from the max. flight distance and the video mode you are recording on the drone itself.

My bad, ive just posted this, i missed your reply, well said
2022-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FlyBoo Posted at 5-22 03:53
I bought my drone for travel mainly. I have a trip coming up to Greenland in June, and Oman later in the year which I was hoping to get some nice footage. It may be ok there as even with the Mini in remote places I could get 2km.

The point is confidence in the feed. Realistically I'm not flying out more than 2km but if the feed is breaking up at 500 meters while I'm trying to take some nice footage of something, or circling around something that is a problem. In the real world we are not flying drones out in a straight line over fields.

Some of what you say is confusing, Mini is better than Mini 3, but in Croatia Mini was useless. I’ve seen some videos of tests done were operators lose signal @1200m next day drone flys over 3000m without any problem. Is this because the drone only works every second day, or interference or set up has changed. I certainly don’t believe it’s the first option.
While FW might be able to tweak this a little, I wouldn’t expect miracles.
2022-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MySky Posted at 5-22 04:00
I am still excited getting mine finally in hopefully 2 weeks.
I don't care about these useless and endless discussions about range as it is, as far as i saw, equal to the Mini2.

You’re correct and M3 using O3 is not much better than M2P using O2. But O3 appears to have much smoother downlink transmission .
2022-5-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-22 01:04
You seem to think that was aimed at you it wasn't.......... It was just to try and help others who are trying to decide.

There is so much that is good about this drone and the whole range thing is overshadowing things and to be honest it is not a real issue........ Youtubers love to sensationalise and love bad things like all news agencies.

I thought you were aiming it at me

When you are posting you seem to be then re-posting with these posts in mind
2022-5-22
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

Edited.
An interesting question. I fly mainly fo create scenic videos for  friends and family. Many of my mine were shot with less than 4000 ft  range but there are some wide open vistas that demanded a greater range.
2022-5-22
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this more of a CE problem as there are now quite a few video from Hong Kong with the Mi3P being flown out to almost 4km
2022-5-22
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-22 07:05
Some of what you say is confusing, Mini is better than Mini 3, but in Croatia Mini was useless. I’ve seen some videos of tests done were operators lose signal @1200m next day drone flys over 3000m without any problem. Is this because the drone only works every second day, or interference or set up has changed. I certainly don’t believe it’s the first option.
While FW might be able to tweak this a little, I wouldn’t expect miracles.

I'm stating why my Mini 3 Pro worries me regards to signal.

In Croatia the Mini 1 performed poorly, obviously very prone to interference in a urban area. Fine, that was understandable in a way.

I was hoping the Mini 3 with it's O3 and stated range of 4 times more than the Mini 1 would prove better and more usable. The reality is that on current form it is actually performing worse in the dozen or so flights I have flown with it here at home. That's all.

Like I said I'm glad others are getting good range but many of us are seeing problems.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-22 03:10
The point is, the Mini 2 and some also say their mini 1 outperforms the MM3P, that's the crux of the matter.

Well that is not what I am finding and the poll so far with very few votes is saying that people are generally happy with it......

You seem so passionate about this... If so Don't buy one and go talk about something you have got
2022-5-22
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Bashy Posted at 5-22 06:26
It can do up to 12km in 1080 / 30  on the controller screen, that's how i took that info...

My mini 2 went as far as the battery allowed me at a height of mostly 17 to 27m no higher, it reached this battery allowable distance because it was foggy and low fog at that and i stayed under the fog for the most part, so the signal was bouncing off the ground and reflecting off the fog, So height isn't be all and end all, yes it can help most of the time, but there are other factors in the environment that can affect in an adverse way or help you.

Your a professional pilot aren't you? Guessing by your knowledge on temperature affecting lift.
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 5-22 16:46
Your a professional pilot aren't you? Guessing by your knowledge on temperature affecting lift.

Let's just say a little more knowledgeable than the average hobbyist, but not by much..

2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-22 10:03
Well that is not what I am finding and the poll so far with very few votes is saying that people are generally happy with it......

You seem so passionate about this... If so Don't buy one and go talk about something you have got

Bigplumbs, I've figured out why you hate the non believers of the Mini 3 Pro's abilities (so to speak), its because you've bought one and are very biased seen as you dived in head 1st and you don't want to hear anything untoward said about it, regardless of this being an open, public forum to all members regardless of what they have bought. Look at it another way, we don't care that you're so "happy" with yours only doing 300m or whatever it is, a good few are not and not because they like going beyond LOS, there are other reasons that have been explained. You also wont take advice, certainly from me, even though this new setup requires it even more so than the MM2, I have even offered to meet up in 2 posts so i can see what is actually going on, but i was ignored. You make silly posts telling members what they should or shouldn't do, some of us that post are knowledgeable and i am a firm believer that everyone should have all the information that's out there available to them, they should then make their own informed decision based on said info, why should you be the one to deny them that info, what, because you've bought it already and are happy that it can only get so far and nowhere near spec.
Passionate, big time, range is the be all, end all for me, if it cant do at least what the Mini 2 can, then its the Air 2s for me, it will not stop me talking about it though...

Your poll is 5:1  but then you have a further 7 undecideds, perhaps they have not had the chance to try the range, either way, there's a reason, so its not a resounding win by a long shot and its only been open a few days, this needs to run for a few months at least seen as the US ain't even got theirs yet, also its very limited stocks over here too, so give it time to run before claiming its a win ;)

2022-5-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-22 20:24
Bigplumbs, I've figured out why you hate the non believers of the Mini 3 Pro's abilities (so to speak), its because you've bought one and are very biased seen as you dived in head 1st and you don't want to hear anything untoward said about it, regardless of this being an open, public forum to all members regardless of what they have bought. Look at it another way, we don't care that you're so "happy" with yours only doing 300m or whatever it is, a good few are not and not because they like going beyond LOS, there are other reasons that have been explained. You also wont take advice, certainly from me, even though this new setup requires it even more so than the MM2, I have even offered to meet up in 2 posts so i can see what is actually going on, but i was ignored. You make silly posts telling members what they should or shouldn't do, some of us that post are knowledgeable and i am a firm believer that everyone should have all the information that's out there available to them, they should then make their own informed decision based on said info, why should you be the one to deny them that info, what, because you've bought it already and are happy that it can only get so far and nowhere near spec.
Passionate, big time, range is the be all, end all for me, if it cant do at least what the Mini 2 can, then its the Air 2s for me, it will not stop me talking about it though...

Sorry can’t be bothered to read all that squit. Come back on here when you have tried one for yourself.

I speak my mind and tell the truth plain and simple.

BTW write less people might read it then
2022-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-22 21:25
Sorry can’t be bothered to read all that squit. Come back on here when you have tried one for yourself.

I speak my mind and tell the truth plain and simple.

HA HA, You should have said you struggle with the written word, my bad.

ok, i will make it simple for you then, its now 5:3 on your poll and 7 on the fence.

I offered to meet up so you can show me what's what, what is a better way to convince me of a "great" product? you blank the offer every time, so i can i see for myself?

Simply put, there is no way on this earth where i will spend over a grand on a product that i am not 100% sure about.

That's what these forums are for, you get to find out early issues, that's what youtube is for, so we can make an informed decision from biased and unbiased reviews, you see, you yourself are biased as you've spent your £800+ already, so you ain't gonna say much of a bad word about it else you lose face, that's just the way it goes, i would be the same cause it would mean having to sell it and lose money, so forgive me if i dont stop on your say so.
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules