12708 195 2022-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ragstaaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79318 ft
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 6-14 14:16
this is the same way gps-gate got started.  a bunch of people saying they were personally happy with their performance and could care less if someone else is unhappy with their own performance.  there was several months of that and it actually delayed the ultimate resolution of the "problem" and i predict that is exactly what is going to happen here with range-gate.  half will live in denial (which is fine because indeed your drone may not have an issue) but what isn't fine is you will indirectly work overtime to block any potential process or stifle any undesirable conversation or rebuff any thoughts or discussion about potential signal issues.

i've seen it before.  when the manufacturer enters a problem thread and a bunch of people are saying "no way, user error, i don't see a problem, it's all in your head, you're violating the rules, maybe you have a dub, nobody should expect 50 mile range, you don't even have a drone....it diminishes the complaint.  others who feel they have a problem are less likely to continue the complaint or come forward in the first place.  we get it.  some people have great mini 3 pro drones, they are in love with the mini 3 pro, and they have overjoyed with their purchase.  however, others are not.  pedantic behaviour such as pointing out how to hold the controller or there's a tree in between you/drone and everybody in your neighbor is using wifi on the internet after 6pm or no way can you see a drone at 500m....it's unproductive and borderline disingenuous particularly when someone is telling you they have other dji drones that perform much better.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's also 'suspicous' that the Top Youtube influencers who got the drone from DJI are hardly addressing the poor range problem.
They all praise the drone like crazy. And  It indeed looks like a great drone, but with signal loss after only a couple of 100 meters, it's really NOT!  
i myself still have the Mavice mini and was going to upgrade to the mini 3 pro but i'm not at the moment. Waiting a bit If there will be a fix or a upgraded version or considering buying  a different drone.
2022-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ragstaaf Posted at 6-18 09:50
I couldn't agree with you more. It's also 'suspicous' that the Top Youtube influencers who got the drone from DJI are hardly addressing the poor range problem.
They all praise the drone like crazy. And  It indeed looks like a great drone, but with signal loss after only a couple of 100 meters, it's really NOT!  
i myself still have the Mavice mini and was going to upgrade to the mini 3 pro but i'm not at the moment. Waiting a bit If there will be a fix or a upgraded version or considering buying  a different drone.

Looks like fix is already there,
2022-6-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-18 10:21
Looks like fix is already there,

Has the latest firmware update helped the issue? Missed that one. I'm sure mine will arrive eventually.
2022-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-18 15:31
Has the latest firmware update helped the issue? Missed that one. I'm sure mine will arrive eventually.

My range was fine, but with latest update Bluetooth and WiFi are automatically turned off, apparently this helps with interference so lets see if it improves, but I think if you’re flying sensibly and correctly signal is really pretty good.
2022-6-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-18 15:42
My range was fine, but with latest update Bluetooth and WiFi are automatically turned off, apparently this helps with interference so lets see if it improves, but I think if you’re flying sensibly and correctly signal is really pretty good.

Do you play around with the 2.4 / 5.8 Ghz settings or just leave on Auto? GavinHR is suggesting switching these can help and current implementation isn't optimised correctly by DJI?
2022-6-18
Use props
djiuser_Fjm5pOHeyXKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181266 ft
Sweden

Bussty Posted at 6-18 15:31
Has the latest firmware update helped the issue? Missed that one. I'm sure mine will arrive eventually.

No it has not.
2022-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-18 16:35
Do you play around with the 2.4 / 5.8 Ghz settings or just leave on Auto? GavinHR is suggesting switching these can help and current implementation isn't optimised correctly by DJI?

I haven’t needed to but using spark I did all the time. I don’t think the real problem is with the drone or remote.
2022-6-19
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 00:29
I haven’t needed to but using spark I did all the time. I don’t think the real problem is with the drone or remote.

With the pilot?
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Well we see many pilots flying very good distances also many who fly normal distances with really good signal, “important for shooting video and photographing” but we never give them credit for the skill they show in insuring always having good signal.

Many people doing range testing “Dustin Dunhill” for instance always goes to the top of the mountain to do the test, because he knows he’s above the interference. Sometimes Savvy goes a long way on these things.
Can dji optimize the signal, they probably can but I don’t believe this will make it so much better that you can ignore what you should be doing to get the best out of the signal.
2022-6-19
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 02:24
Well we see many pilots flying very good distances also many who fly normal distances with really good signal, “important for shooting video and photographing” but we never give them credit for the skill they show in insuring always having good signal.

Many people doing range testing “Dustin Dunhill” for instance always goes to the top of the mountain to do the test, because he knows he’s above the interference. Sometimes Savvy goes a long way on these things.

Do you find that having to be so direction with the controller it affects the glare on the screen? With the old system you could point your screen to yourself and reflect say a dark coloured shirt back into the screen reducing glare but looks like you could only do that now if drone directly above? If it is just how you point the controller will be more than manageable.
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-19 02:36
Do you find that having to be so direction with the controller it affects the glare on the screen? With the old system you could point your screen to yourself and reflect say a dark coloured shirt back into the screen reducing glare but looks like you could only do that now if drone directly above? If it is just how you point the controller will be more than manageable.

I think you will find its ok in almost all cases.
2022-6-19
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 02:51
I think you will find its ok in almost all cases.

Cheers
2022-6-19
Use props
Nuh7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 256411 ft
Germany

Got it out to over 3000m in CE mode without even trying to maximize range by adjusting the RM330‘s orientation. So yes, I am happy. Especially after reading all those horror stories about range with the RM330.
2022-6-19
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141 ft
Germany

the fix is not there - switching off wifi and bluetooth (what the new software does automatically)  doesnt change a thing - I had the issues without using wifi and bluetooth before the software upgrade and now.
Manually switching to 2.4 GHz doesnt work on the controller - there seems to be a bug in the software.

on a funny note:
… I am sorry but I will not stick a laser pointer to the controller and try to follow the drone just to make sure my controller is perfectly aligned to the drone.
2022-6-19
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

3km rural open space easy to achieve for this little drone and 1.5-2km in built up areas. I have seen it done with a local drone operator who just got the same drone as mine.

I am really sceptical at these 100-200m failures and honestly am starting to wonder if some people are just complaining because they want to. A bit like when the new iphones come out the android fanboys start a discredit campaign. Like I commented in previous posts, all these drones are perfect clones of each other and so if one has a range issue then the whole lot should have it. They are not original handcrafted bespoke items.

Does my drone fly 12km, No.      

Have i tried to get 12km, No      

Do I need to fly 12km, No      

Does my drone perform as expected, Yes

Out of the box, mine flies the same as my Mavic Air 2, pretty much same range. I am not comfortable flying a great distance as I cant control what's happening that far away if ... hits the fan. Is the drone capable of flying beyond 1-2km......Yes.

2022-6-19
Use props
djiuser_r2wDIo1K6Dj6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 337552 ft
United States

My experience: My signal will be full bars while hovering approx 800 ft distance and 200ft height. The signal will drop to 2 bars (weak signal adjust antennae) and even the red warning. This is my 1st drone and that really freaks me out so I begin to move it back closer to me. Not sure why the signal will drop from full connection to the red warning in the same spot. Something seem wrong. Not what I was expecting on such an expensive drone. May be returning while I have a chance and look at less expensive options.
2022-6-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 6-19 13:47
3km rural open space easy to achieve for this little drone and 1.5-2km in built up areas. I have seen it done with a local drone operator who just got the same drone as mine.

I am really sceptical at these 100-200m failures and honestly am starting to wonder if some people are just complaining because they want to. A bit like when the new iphones come out the android fanboys start a discredit campaign. Like I commented in previous posts, all these drones are perfect clones of each other and so if one has a range issue then the whole lot should have it. They are not original handcrafted bespoke items.

Well said...........
2022-7-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-11 08:18
Well said...........

...but he doesn't even own the drone.
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-11 08:21
...but he doesn't even own the drone.

Not now but he did and had quite a lot of real life experience with it.... Unlike some I could mention
2022-7-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-11 08:24
Not now but he did and had quite a lot of real life experience with it.... Unlike some I could mention

ok i get it.  if you agree with the reply, it's fine as long as they owned the drone in the past.  if you disagree with the reply, it's not fine even if you intend to own the drone in the future?  /s

how about:  whatever someone says it's their opinion it's fine whether the own the drone yesterday, today, or tomorrow....or never.
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-11 08:36
ok i get it.  if you agree with the reply, it's fine as long as they owned the drone in the past.  if you disagree with the reply, it's not fine even if you intend to own the drone in the future?  /s

how about:  whatever someone says it's their opinion it's fine whether the own the drone yesterday, today, or tomorrow....or never.

Now here is just a wild thought....... Do youR best to understand.....

IT IS ABOUT HAVING OR HAVING HAD FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE OF THE ITEM
2022-7-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-11 12:36
Now here is just a wild thought....... Do youR best to understand.....

IT IS ABOUT HAVING OR HAVING HAD FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE OF THE ITEM

ownership <> first hand experience

most of the comments have nothing to do with first hand experience.
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-11 14:34
ownership  first hand experience

most of the comments have nothing to do with first hand experience.

Have you got a mini 3
2022-7-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-12 08:42
Have you got a mini 3

2022-7-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mmmmmm a pic of 2 boxes make sure you recycle those
2022-7-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-12 11:11
Mmmmmm a pic of 2 boxes make sure you recycle those

i actually keep the boxes and when i sell the drone, i put them back in the box.  the accessories box will hold all the extra useless junk sent to me along with the 2 batteries and hub.
2022-7-12
Use props
djiuser_ouNOfUhsepAp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 791480 ft
United States

I voted 'not happy,' but was 50/50 between that or 'on the fence.'  I haven't done enough flights yet, my extra batteries haven't yet come (shipping issue), etc (wonder how much can be improved with firmware updates).

I've had the Mini 2 (RC-N1) for a couple years, got the Mini 3 Pro with RC about a month ago... the range is less in the same flight profiles.  Bummer.  What I haven't yet tested is simply linking the N1 with the Mini 3... I presume the range will be the same, or better, than the Mini 2 (the range is the controller, not the drone, no?).
If so, I may use the N1 for some flights.

Context: Most of my flights, at least during (humpback) whale season in Hawaii is from my boat, following the whales... I can easily go a mile on a flight.  More if my boat is drifting the other direction.  My Mini 2 did very well, I've been two miles+ away before (open water).  I haven't flown the Mini 3 from the boat, yet.  But same flights from ground show notably less (controller?) signal range, so I'm worried about the water flights range now.

Also, as the boat drifts... I'm almost never anchored during flight (for good reason: I'll drive to the drone sometimes), or in general...... I need to look into: does the RTH have a return to controller function?
If not, that is needed!
2022-7-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think that what some forget or seem to ignore is, that the Mini 2 range is exceptional but the main part is that the Mini 3 Pro is meant to be able to go 2km further than the Mini 2, that's what DJI claim. I know for a fact that the Mini 2 can go to around 3.8km in CE, others have managed to push it further but not by much, therefore i would expect as a consumer that the Mini 3 would surpass that and hit at 4.5km, 4km at the very least. Sadly that does not appear to be the consensus.
2022-7-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro have the same range. I have tested this real world and I own both drones
2022-7-12
Use props
fans832641c8
lvl.1

United States

I have the mini three and it has very limited range.  Lost signal every  time I have flown it. It is my understanding that DJI is aware of the problem and is working on an update.
2022-7-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-12 20:35
Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro have the same range. I have tested this real world and I own both drones

Shut up you idiot, you took them both to around 1km and said job done like that's some real-life test, maybe in your reality, get a grip.
2022-7-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-12 21:06
Shut up you idiot, you took them both to around 1km and said job done like that's some real-life test, maybe in your reality, get a grip.

You tested both have you. Oh no you are still asking the world whether you should have tea of Coffee for breakfast oh and resorting to insults cos you know no better
2022-7-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am happy with the range at the moment as its far greater than the VLOS rules where I must comply. Once I gain my BVLOS accreditation I guess wont be so happy.
2022-7-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-12 22:05
You tested both have you. Oh no you are still asking the world whether you should have tea of Coffee for breakfast oh and resorting to insults cos you know no better

No but you talk a load of rubbish, just cause your 2 hit 1km or there abouts tells every absolutely nothing about how good the range is, so be constructive in your replies or just don't bother, you're becoming tiresome and not just for me....
2022-7-13
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-13 02:54
No but you talk a load of rubbish, just cause your 2 hit 1km or there abouts tells every absolutely nothing about how good the range is, so be constructive in your replies or just don't bother, you're becoming tiresome and not just for me....

Take a look in the mirror
2022-7-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-13 08:26
Take a look in the mirror

OK then, so why did you get 3 downvotes and i got 5 upvotes for our last 2 comments?
2022-7-13
Use props
Shawn3B
lvl.1
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-12 20:35

I wonder if some Mini 3 Pro's (or the RC) have manufacturing / QA flaws then?

... as I have both and the Mini 2 w/ N1 and Mini 3 Pro w/ RC have HUGE differences in range with me!  On ALL comparisons I've done, multiple environments.
2022-7-14
Use props
Shawn3B
lvl.1
United States

fans832641c8 Posted at 7-12 20:38
I have the mini three and it has very limited range.  Lost signal every  time I have flown it. It is my understanding that DJI is aware of the problem and is working on an update.

Hoping it's software (vs hardware)
2022-7-14
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shawn3B Posted at 7-14 14:45
Hoping it's software (vs hardware)

As I've mentioned in several threads, my Mini 3 was loosing connection at around 300 meters after the latest update so I returned it today for one hopefully without this issue
2022-7-14
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-12 19:05
I think that what some forget or seem to ignore is, that the Mini 2 range is exceptional but the main part is that the Mini 3 Pro is meant to be able to go 2km further than the Mini 2, that's what DJI claim. I know for a fact that the Mini 2 can go to around 3.8km in CE, others have managed to push it further but not by much, therefore i would expect as a consumer that the Mini 3 would surpass that and hit at 4.5km, 4km at the very least. Sadly that does not appear to be the consensus.

This  is what I'm reading. It's not that the Mini 3 lacks good range, it is that it is performing WORSE than it should be! When older gen is better than newer gen, it either means there is a problem, or something was nerfed.

I'm looking at buying a drone primarily on camera  specs, second on legalities, and for me that means either Mini 2 or 3. The fact the Mini 3 costs some 50% more than the Mini 2, this range issue is not an insignificant problem.

The way  people are reporting the sudden loss of signal strongly suggests to me there is a software fault. There is a lot of software involved in modern radio communications, and rarely is the hardware to blame for a sudden loss of signal unless they REALLY screwed up the RF design. I'm guessing all these drones are using SDR (Software Defined Radio), meaning the hardware is the least likely to be at fault.

I'm certainly not beyond thinking there is always the possibility DJI were asked to reduce the range by various Governments given the amount of tyranny we have all witnessed the past 2+ years. The system knows how far away the drone is, and there are multiple ways of measuring it. What would be really interesting is whether the signal loss occurs at the exact same distance each time. I mean within 1-2 feet.

2022-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules