13555 39 2022-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

Hello,
When I try to charge my RC controller using the PD USB-C ports of my phone charger (18W), fast charger (100W) or power bank (30W), then the leds will blink one time at normal speed and then will blink really (too) fast.
If I use the USB-A ports of my fast charger or my power bank, then the leds will blink at normal speed.

I didn't try to leave the remote charging plugged on the USB-C ports as it seemed wrong, but should I ?
Is it a compatibity issue with those PD ports ?

With the drone I don't have that problem as if I use the PD USB-C ports, it will blink faster than using the USB-A (non PD) ports but won't blink slow once and then start blinking like crazy.
2022-5-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Seems to be normal.
It depends on the charging circuit in each device and which charging voltage and current will be negotiated between the device and the charger.
It also depends on how full the batteries are already charged, if you start yor charging.
Slow blinking means slow/normal charging and fast blinking fast/high speed charging.
If the batteries are allmost full, usually the fast charging will switch back to normal charging with slow blinking leds.

If the RC is blinking normal in the begining and then switching to fast it is checking the batteries first.

Keep in mind that the batteries in the RC and the flight battery are different types of batteries, with different charging behaviors.  
2022-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there neodraig. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the issue for us to be able to see and can assist you. Thank you.
2022-5-22
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-22 21:37
Hello there neodraig. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the issue for us to be able to see and can assist you. Thank you.

Here you are: Fast Blinking

I left it plugged and it completely charged, so it works. It's just the blinking seemed too fast and I wondered if it was the normal behaviour.
2022-5-23
Use props
fansa941c905
New

Australia

neodraig Posted at 5-23 00:57

I left it plugged and it completely charged, so it works. It's just the blinking seemed too fast and I wondered if it was the normal behaviour.

I purchased a mini 3 pro today and my transmitter does the same thing - it does not seem to charge when they blink fast like this.  Any advice on what the rapid blinking means would be appreciated

i left mine like this for almost 2 hours and was already charged to 3 leds when i started.
mine is plugged into the usb-c port on my laptop. when i tried on a usb-c port on my pc, it did the same thing.

I tried the laptop and PC usb-c ports because the usb-A chargers i had were not charging the RC controller till the 4th led - only the 3rd.
2022-5-24
Use props
fansa941c905
New

Australia

MySky Posted at 5-22 10:36
Seems to be normal.
It depends on the charging circuit in each device and which charging voltage and current will be negotiated between the device and the charger.
It also depends on how full the batteries are already charged, if you start yor charging.

oh - so you think the fast blinking means high speed/current charging?  

hmm - i left it almost 2 hours like this and started with a charge of 3 leds... maybe i needed longer ?

But even after 2 hours i would have at least expected the 4th led to start flashing in the sequence, but the 4th never, ever lit up
2022-5-24
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansa941c905 Posted at 5-24 05:07
I purchased a mini 3 pro today and my transmitter does the same thing - it does not seem to charge when they blink fast like this.  Any advice on what the rapid blinking means would be appreciated

i left mine like this for almost 2 hours and was already charged to 3 leds when i started.

first update and activate then is full charging
2022-5-24
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

fansa941c905 Posted at 5-24 05:15

hmm - i left it almost 2 hours like this and started with a charge of 3 leds... maybe i needed longer ?

Not thruout the whole charging cycle, it is a little bit more tricky depending on the battery type.
I think it is well explained in this article:

https://www.androidauthority.com ... explained-2-889780/
2022-5-24
Use props
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609390 ft
Czechia

fansa941c905 Posted at 5-24 05:15

I thought fast blinkin means fast charging....
2022-5-28
Use props
1A1
lvl.1
Australia

fansa941c905 Posted at 5-24 05:07
I purchased a mini 3 pro today and my transmitter does the same thing - it does not seem to charge when they blink fast like this.  Any advice on what the rapid blinking means would be appreciated

How did you end up going? When I spoke to the store I got it from they thought it was a fault. So swapped it over. But the new one they swapped with does the same thing also. For me too, the drone itself is fine, it charges slowly but the RC controller blinks really fast. I used my iPad wall charger with the USB C cord from the drone and it charged within half an hour fully, but was flashing fast. Then rather than showing all lights on that its' fully charged there are no lights showing at all. Even now whilst it's full it doesn't show up any lights. But I had the same problem as you too where I had it on for 12hrs and it didn't charge at all whilst flashing fast until I activated it and updated firmware. But that's not fixed the fast indicator charging lights. I'm worried something isn't right with it also.
2022-5-28
Use props
1A1
lvl.1
Australia

How did you go? Did you figure it out? Is something wrong with the RC controller as mine does exactly the same thing as yours! Mines fully charged but now no lights show up when I connect it to my MacBook Pro USB C or using my iPad wall charger to USB C. Instead of it all showing up solid when fully charged it just has no lights at all. But when I test it it says its fully charged. So strange. Why don't they just make it the same as the drone, and as per the other remote controller so that people are not confused like we are as to what's going on.
2022-5-28
Use props
1A1
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-22 21:37

Here's https://youtube.com/shorts/R3b5L032Aug?feature=share which is exactly the same issue these guys are having.

Why does it do this differently to the last remote control - for me it goes fast, and then when fully charged all lights go off instead of solid green lights across. When tested it's fully charged but why does it act differently when charging? I use my MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro Max to charge with the USB C cord provided by DJI and also tried the iPad wall charger for the USB C too.
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think people need to understand that Fast charging batteries is not the wise thing to do it eventually damages batteries. It causes heat which is never good for batteries

A lot of people with electric cars will find this out soon
2022-5-28
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

1A1 Posted at 5-28 21:57
How did you go? Did you figure it out? Is something wrong with the RC controller as mine does exactly the same thing as yours! Mines fully charged but now no lights show up when I connect it to my MacBook Pro USB C or using my iPad wall charger to USB C. Instead of it all showing up solid when fully charged it just has no lights at all. But when I test it it says its fully charged. So strange. Why don't they just make it the same as the drone, and as per the other remote controller so that people are not confused like we are as to what's going on.

Sorry to hear what's happening to you.
I'm on holidays and I haven't used my drone much so I haven't changed the remote again.
But your comments gets me really worried.
Last time I charged the remote, I noticed too that the lights were off when it had finished charging (but this is my first drone so I thought it was normal).
I'm charging it at the moment using a USB-A port and it seems fine (normal speed blinking and charging).
I'll keep you updated when it's finished charging but I think that from now on I won't use USB-C (PD) ports to charge the remote.

2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

neodraig Posted at 5-28 22:35
Sorry to hear what's happening to you.
I'm on holidays and I haven't used my drone much so I haven't changed the remote again.
But your comments gets me really worried.

Sorry to hear also for you! No one knows anything though - the shops say it's faulty but it can't be if they're all like this right?
I'm going to try my USB A charger and see what happens but I hope I didn't ruin my RC given I charged it up with my iPad wall charger and USB C....
There should be instructions or information about this online for us so we know what to do.
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 22:28
I think people need to understand that Fast charging batteries is not the wise thing to do it eventually damages batteries. It causes heat which is never good for batteries

A lot of people with electric cars will find this out soon

Now I'm worried that me charging it with the iPad wall charger and USB C has ruined the remote. I agree it should be at a right page but people who don't understand how it works would ignorantly be doing this, like myself, because that is what was provided by DJI without any instructions to do it differently... :/
2022-5-28
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

Av1vA Posted at 5-28 22:59
Now I'm worried that me charging it with the iPad wall charger and USB C has ruined the remote. I agree it should be at a right page but people who don't understand how it works would ignorantly be doing this, like myself, because that is what was provided by DJI without any instructions to do it differently... :/

Just a quick update, I've just finished charging the remote using a charger with a USB-A port, and the leds were off at the end.
The remote seems to be OK and is fully charged.
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

neodraig Posted at 5-28 23:50
Just a quick update, I've just finished charging the remote using a charger with a USB-A port, and the leds were off at the end.
The remote seems to be OK and is fully charged.

That's great thanks for letting me know! Well that's good news. Another user here said same thing re: led lights going off at the end.
I need to let mine die a bit before charging again on usb A and testing myself.
I only hope I didn't ruin the batteries at all before. It seems so silly DJI don't include 2 types of charger cables - A for RC and C for Drone and label them - so people know. I can only assume if you use usb c to charge the RC with the fast charging it won't ruin it as they provide it but I don't trust that is the case.
2022-5-28
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Has any of you guys read the manual completely ?

1. The flight battery and RC have different types of batteries which need to be treated different during the charging cycle as already mentioned above.
    Flight battery is a LiPo and the one in the RC is Li-Io.
2. In the manual it says:

2022-5-29
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

MySky Posted at 5-29 00:28
Has any of you guys read the manual completely ?

1. The flight battery and RC have different types of batteries which need to be treated different during the charging cycle as already mentioned above.

No, I didn't read the manual. I generally don't because information like this is usually self explanatory. But that's great, thank you. DJI even don't know the answer to their own problem as I've been in communication with them.

So from what you're showing me from the manual this is normal and ok to charge fast? It doesn't ruin the battery?
2022-5-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

As already mentioned above quick charging will reduce the lifetime of batteries over the years.
It is the same behahior with the  RC-N1. Normal /  Old USB charger blinking is slow and chargers with PD or QC protocol (Quickcharger) blinking is fast.
Since 2 years i haven't had any issues yet using a 30W quickcharger for charging the RC-N1 of my MA2, Mini2 and the charging hub of the Mini2.
As i do not know the charging circut design of either of the RC's, i think, as the batteries are the same type, both are equal. But finally only DJI can tell the specs of their circiuts.
2022-5-29
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

MySky Posted at 5-29 04:30
As already mentioned above quick charging will reduce the lifetime of batteries over the years.
It is the same behahior with the  RC-N1. Normal /  Old USB charger blinking is slow and chargers with PD or QC protocol (Quickcharger) blinking is fast.
Since 2 years i haven't had any issues yet using a 30W quickcharger for charging the RC-N1 of my MA2, Mini2 and the charging hub of the Mini2.

Yeah thanks. I have read through now all their manuals and some say to use the DJI USB-C charger that is 30W and other parts of their manual say >30Watts and another 15Watts. I'm confused about which is the 'recommended' way to charge when it can reduce the battery quality over time. It still doesn't make sense to me.

The screenshot you sent me about the battery is actually not about the RC charger but about the Battery charging hub. Sp that may not be the same...
2022-5-29
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

The only relevant image from above now is the first one at the top. And it says connect to a wall charger but they don't provide one with the purchase - DJI should definitely be doing that so people are charging at the right wattage.
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.58.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.00.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.01.18 pm.png
2022-5-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Yes it is confusing, but it does not make sense to have 2 chargers.
In your screen shot for the RC it says it "CAN" be charged in 1 1/2 hours  with max. charging power of 15W, but not, it has to be max. 15W.
It also says it is recommended a to use USB PD (protcol) charger, which usually provide around 30W.
Normally the charging circuit of a device ( in this case RC, drone, chargingi hub) negotiate the power that is needed, with the charger.
This is why there are several V/A values provided by the charger, as described in the specs.
As the LiPo batteries (Flight batteries ) can be charged with higher power than the LI-Io batteries of the RC, it is described to use => 30W chargers in some cases.
But this does not exclude to use these chargers as well for the RC, as it does only request the power from the charger it is needing or allowed to.
2022-5-29
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Perfectly normal. It does that on Many DJI products that support fast charge.
2022-5-29
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

I spoke with DJI themselves and a DJI repair/stocker here and both have said that you shouldn't be charging more than 15Watts - but they also don't provide the appropriate charger for that. Unless you read through the long manual that says charge at a max of 15Watts you wouldn't know, and try to charge it direct to laptops such as I did where you're potentially charging at 96Watts!! Or 20Watts for an iPad wall USB C charger. I don't understand why DJI have not provided a small 5V/15Watt wall charger USB A-C so that people are charging correctly. I got a wall charger with my Mini 2 Fly more kit and all was good. I shouldn't have to purchase additional items to just safely charge my RC. Really not good. It still seems like something's not right. Because DJI themselves couldn't even tell me if it's normal.
2022-5-29
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 5-29 20:03
I spoke with DJI themselves and a DJI repair/stocker here and both have said that you shouldn't be charging more than 15Watts - but they also don't provide the appropriate charger for that. Unless you read through the long manual that says charge at a max of 15Watts you wouldn't know, and try to charge it direct to laptops such as I did where you're potentially charging at 96Watts!! Or 20Watts for an iPad wall USB C charger. I don't understand why DJI have not provided a small 5V/15Watt wall charger USB A-C so that people are charging correctly. I got a wall charger with my Mini 2 Fly more kit and all was good. I shouldn't have to purchase additional items to just safely charge my RC. Really not good. It still seems like something's not right. Because DJI themselves couldn't even tell me if it's normal.

You are correct. It is very confusing for normal people and DJI certainly should have provided the correct charger
2022-5-29
Use props
EdwvLVXnmeVZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213 ft
Canada

it doesn't matter what the charger rating is.
you can use 200w charger, but your batteries will still charge at there maximum rate.

We put the charger on a power meter.
USB charger rated at 65w with 45w from the PD ports.

27w = Charging hub max draw (fast blinking lights)
17w = RC remote max draw (fast blinking lights)

I should note, to get max power, these were tested separately not together on same charger.
2022-6-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 5-29 20:03

You can charge from a 1000w charger and it will only draw the battery's maximum wattage of 36w in this case, thats assuming that the 1000w charger can provide 12v switching. if its just a 24v charger then you will have issues. So you're either being fed the incorrect information or the language barrier is making it sound that way.

You should be able to use a laptops port just fine, but make sure it can provide 5v/3a, 9v/3a, or better 12v/3a, as long as its chucking out 12v the ampage isn't really  a problem as the battery will only draw its maximum and ignore any higher.
Example, for my Mini 2 i am using a 65w 3 port (2x USB-C 1x USB-A) the 1st USB-C port is able to chuck out 65w, the max wattage for my battery is 30w or 36w, cant remember now, but i can stick the drone (and single battery) on the 1st port of 65w and it will only draw the maximum of 30w or 36w which ever it is, i think its 12v/3a so 36w, most certainly it will not draw the full 65w, its called an intelligent flight battery for a reason, it has decent protections built in, I refer you to page 30 of your manual
Overcurrent Protection: The battery stops charging if an excess current i detected
2022-6-3
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bashy Posted at 6-3 19:33
You can charge from a 1000w charger and it will only draw the battery's maximum wattage of 36w in this case, thats assuming that the 1000w charger can provide 12v switching. if its just a 24v charger then you will have issues. So you're either being fed the incorrect information or the language barrier is making it sound that way.

You should be able to use a laptops port just fine, but make sure it can provide 5v/3a, 9v/3a, or better 12v/3a, as long as its chucking out 12v the ampage isn't really  a problem as the battery will only draw its maximum and ignore any higher.

Thanks, the issue here is also that DJI does not know what they're talking about. I ask them and they give one answer and then another. So how can we trust what they're telling us. Plus, MacBooks don't share what the output voltage is on the usb-c ports - I believe they are 96W and I'm not tech person to understand all the details about what I should avoid/not avoid. The point is that if they are selling a product that only has a usb-c cord in the box with two items - the RC and the Drone - as a consumer you assume you use that to charge both and that it would be ok if they're not giving the wall plug. If there are limitations, things to avoid, things you shouldn't do that would damage the battery if charging on something stronger which any lay person could do without the guidance or instructions then as a product sold it should be sold with the wall charger for the RC just like what they did with the Mini 2 Combo. Its ridiculous what they've done. I know you're not DJI, I'm just saying the information out there is overwhelming and it's not my job as the consumer to sort through that and work out how to charge my RC.
2022-6-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 6-3 19:48
Thanks, the issue here is also that DJI does not know what they're talking about. I ask them and they give one answer and then another. So how can we trust what they're telling us. Plus, MacBooks don't share what the output voltage is on the usb-c ports - I believe they are 96W and I'm not tech person to understand all the details about what I should avoid/not avoid. The point is that if they are selling a product that only has a usb-c cord in the box with two items - the RC and the Drone - as a consumer you assume you use that to charge both and that it would be ok if they're not giving the wall plug. If there are limitations, things to avoid, things you shouldn't do that would damage the battery if charging on something stronger which any lay person could do without the guidance or instructions then as a product sold it should be sold with the wall charger for the RC just like what they did with the Mini 2 Combo. Its ridiculous what they've done. I know you're not DJI, I'm just saying the information out there is overwhelming and it's not my job as the consumer to sort through that and work out how to charge my RC.

Hi, i have just edited my post, if the current is too high for the battery, it will protect itself...
2022-6-3
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Av1vA Posted at 6-3 19:48
Thanks, the issue here is also that DJI does not know what they're talking about. I ask them and they give one answer and then another. So how can we trust what they're telling us. Plus, MacBooks don't share what the output voltage is on the usb-c ports - I believe they are 96W and I'm not tech person to understand all the details about what I should avoid/not avoid. The point is that if they are selling a product that only has a usb-c cord in the box with two items - the RC and the Drone - as a consumer you assume you use that to charge both and that it would be ok if they're not giving the wall plug. If there are limitations, things to avoid, things you shouldn't do that would damage the battery if charging on something stronger which any lay person could do without the guidance or instructions then as a product sold it should be sold with the wall charger for the RC just like what they did with the Mini 2 Combo. Its ridiculous what they've done. I know you're not DJI, I'm just saying the information out there is overwhelming and it's not my job as the consumer to sort through that and work out how to charge my RC.

In case you missed it and as mention by Bashy,

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 494&pid=2756417

the xxWatt rating of a charger is what the charger can deliver max. This does not mean that it is pushing it to the device. The device is drawing only what it needs at the negotiotiated voltage / apere rate via the PD protocol.
The only reqirement to the charger is, it has to be a PD charger, otherwise it could deliver the wrong voltage / ampere rate if it does not know or miss interpret the PD information reqired from the device.
2022-6-3
Use props
djiuser_7NMEmoOpWstp
lvl.1

Italy

Hi guys, do you know how many watts the rc-n1 dji controller supports? I recharge it with a 20 watt charger but I'm not sure it's okay, I wouldn't want to ruin it.
2023-8-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Blinking fast means it's fast charging. Doesn't matter if you put 1000watt charge or 1,000,000watt charger. Your device will only pull its maximum wattage. Some people don't know about electric thinks putting a 1,000,000 watt charger into a device like a phone that handles only 25 watt will fried it. It will not. It will only pull 25 watt from the 1,000,000 watt charger.
2023-8-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_7NMEmoOpWstp Posted at 8-25 13:36
Hi guys, do you know how many watts the rc-n1 dji controller supports? I recharge it with a 20 watt charger but I'm not sure it's okay, I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Hi there. Sorry for the late response. The DJI RC-N1 remote controller can use a charger of 10 W (5 V, 2 A), which can be fully charged within about 240 minutes when at its fastest speed. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-8
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.3
United States

Av1vA Posted at 2022-5-29 05:03
The only relevant image from above now is the first one at the top. And it says connect to a wall charger but they don't provide one with the purchase - DJI should definitely be doing that so people are charging at the right wattage.[Image]
DJI literally says on accessory user guide to charge at 30 watts… 30 watts makes it blink really fast but that is what they recommend.

But they only specify the battery holder to be charged that that.
3-22 21:21
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-9-8 22:07
Hi there. Sorry for the late response. The DJI RC-N1 remote controller can use a charger of 10 W (5 V, 2 A), which can be fully charged within about 240 minutes when at its fastest speed. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
The packaging tags literally say charge at 30watts., what are you talking about?

Ok the accessory guide says the batteries are to be charged at 30 watts- not specifically the RC2
3-22 21:21
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_7NMEmoOpWstp Posted at 2023-8-25 13:36

Tag that comes with it says to charge at 30 watts.
3-22 21:22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

cgbrian.com Posted at 3-22 21:21
The packaging tags literally say charge at 30watts., what are you talking about?

Ok the accessory guide says the batteries are to be charged at 30 watts- not specifically the RC2

Hi there. Thank you for your response. Please confirm if you are referring to the packaging of the DJI Mini 3 Pro aircraft. If yes, you are correct, the DJI Mini 3 Pro aircraft must use the DJI 30W USB charger or charger with the same power requirements and with PD fast-charging protocols. However, the DJI RC-N1 REMOTE CONTROLLER can use a charger of 10W which can be fully charged within 240 minutes when at its fastest speed. Any charger that meets the charging power requirements can be used. If you are still in doubt, please provide us a photo showing the packaging that you have mentioned so we can check it further. Hope this helps. We appreciate your valued support.
3-24 02:59
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-24 02:59
Hi there. Thank you for your response. Please confirm if you are referring to the packaging of the DJI Mini 3 Pro aircraft. If yes, you are correct, the DJI Mini 3 Pro aircraft must use the DJI 30W USB charger or charger with the same power requirements and with PD fast-charging protocols. However, the DJI RC-N1 REMOTE CONTROLLER can use a charger of 10W which can be fully charged within 240 minutes when at its fastest speed. Any charger that meets the charging power requirements can be used. If you are still in doubt, please provide us a photo showing the packaging that you have mentioned so we can check it further. Hope this helps. We appreciate your valued support.

You can use ANY USB charger, ANY power. If the power is less than 30W, then charging will take longer. If the charging power is more than 30W, the process will not be faster than at 30W.
You can charge with 100W charging, but it won’t be faster than 30W.
3-24 03:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules