Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 3 Pro RC Custom Controls?
12685 25 2022-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shushu in Suwon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4232 ft
South Korea

First-time poster/drone person. The mini 3 will be my first drone, and I got the RC control with it...still 5 weeks until delivery.

I guess my concern is that decades of video games and computers have kind of taught me that moving the stick up means you go down and vice versa, so I would like to be able to change the altitude direction so that I'm comfortable with it from the start. I've also heard some people saying they couldn't do it with the RC controller, which would not be ideal. So has anyone been able to do it? Is it something that may get fixed later?

I'm sure I can get used to the standard controls, but ideally I wouldn't have to. My whole region is a no-fly zone, so I'll really only get to mess with it on weekends. In the meantime, I guess I'm going to learn the basics of Davinci Resolve.

2022-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Shushu in Suwon. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. The control sticks control the DJI Mini 3 Pro's orientation (pan), forward/ backward movement (pitch), magnitude (throttle), and left / right movement (roll). The control stick mode determines the function of each control stick movement. Three preprogrammed modes (Mode 1, Mode 2, and Mode 3) are available and custom modes can be configured in the DJI Fly application. The default mode is Mode 2. Thank you.

2022-5-22
Use props
Shushu in Suwon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4232 ft
South Korea

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-22 21:27
Hello there Shushu in Suwon. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. The control sticks control the DJI Mini 3 Pro's orientation (pan), forward/ backward movement (pitch), magnitude (throttle), and left / right movement (roll). The control stick mode determines the function of each control stick movement. Three preprogrammed modes (Mode 1, Mode 2, and Mode 3) are available and custom modes can be configured in the DJI Fly application. The default mode is Mode 2. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you for your response! This is the post I'm referring to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/comments/uv8hxr/magic_mini_3_pro_impossible_to_invert_ascend_and/

They seem to be saying that the custom option doesn't work correctly on the RC controller. People say that they can fix it on iOS, but not android.
2022-5-22
Use props
djiuser_KMBfsW16Cv9F
New
United States

Shushu in Suwon Posted at 5-22 21:39
Thank you for your response! This is the post I'm referring to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/comments/uv8hxr/magic_mini_3_pro_impossible_to_invert_ascend_and/

I tried the custom mode and could not move the commands the way I wanted. I could move the up and down stick, but could not at the same time, move the back and forward  command. It seemed to be an “either or” change
2022-8-8
Use props
KC-MO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 297247 ft
United States

djiuser_KMBfsW16Cv9F Posted at 8-8 17:19
I tried the custom mode and could not move the commands the way I wanted. I could move the up and down stick, but could not at the same time, move the back and forward  command. It seemed to be an “either or” change

The "backward" ascent/decent controls are RIDICULOUS and cannot be changed on the RC controller.
Being an actual fixed wind and rotor pilot to me they make no sense.  When has anyone ever heard of "collision warning -PUSH DOWN, PUSH DOWN-"? To avoid a collision you PULL UP !
This needs to be changed to allow the CORRECT CONFIGURATION !!!!!
2022-10-9
Use props
djiuser_mUrUdFwFkJOO
New

United Kingdom

I too am used to game controls, and was hoping to have a controller setting where (left stick) up- moving forwards (if you're orientation is the same as the drone) down- backwards, left- moving left and vice versa (not yaw). (Right stick) up- raising elevation, down- lower elevation, left and right for yaw
2022-10-13
Use props
QPootle2
lvl.1
Canada

[view_image]

Sorry, but "custom modes can be configured in the DJI Fly application" is the least helpful response possible. It is simply copied from the manual but the manual says nothing about how to configure the custom modes and there is no apparent way to do it in the app. Like many others, I want the up/down or climb/dive control to work as it does in any actual aircraft: pushing the stick or yoke forwards makes the aircraft descend while pulling it back makes it climb. Please would you or someone else either tell us, in detail, how in fact to configure the controls or confirm that it is not possible?
2022-11-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I have the RC Pro and use Mode 2 just fine. But, to help you uncoordinated types, I figured out how to change the sticks to Pull back to ascend.
I hope it works on the RC. Let me know.
Go into Customize stick mode
Tap 'Manual"
Long press and drag the "ascend/descend" group to the "Turn right or left" position.
Release.
Then long press and drag the "Ascend" from there to the preferred location.
A little convoluted, but it works.
'
2022-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You will have custom options. Mode 2 is the default and works well. To get used to it just spend your time practicing flying with the back of the craft always facing you this always insures that left is left and right is right, up on left stick  is up and down is down, forward on right stick is forward and back is backwards. It will take 20 minutes and it will become second nature. Welcome to the forum.
2022-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KC-MO Posted at 10-9 05:13
The "backward" ascent/decent controls are RIDICULOUS and cannot be changed on the RC controller.
Being an actual fixed wind and rotor pilot to me they make no sense.  When has anyone ever heard of "collision warning -PUSH DOWN, PUSH DOWN-"? To avoid a collision you PULL UP !
This needs to be changed to allow the CORRECT CONFIGURATION !!!!!

You need to realise that 99% of people flying drones know very little about fixed wing manned aircraft and don’t need to. But you will find that most humans aside from those trained otherwise will automatically believe that when you pull down then the craft will go down and the same when you push up it will go up. So while it may be normal for trained manned aircraft pilots it makes very little sense to those who know very little about fixed wing.

What would you normally teach a child up is up and down is down, you certainly would never expect a child to think up was down would you ?
2022-11-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

[view_image]

The "Manual" button is not showing on the Android version of Fly 1.8.0. It is on the RC Pro and works fine, not on the phone.
2022-11-14
Use props
AK_90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3152241 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey just my personal opinion but as someone else who loves video games and have played them and
2022-11-14
Use props
AK_90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3152241 ft
  • >>>
United States

So as someone else who plays a lot of video games and has all the current systems I find that my favorite flight mode is mode 3 it reminds me more of how controllers for games are setup and I like that the left stick is the movement of the drone and the right is the pan and height. Give it a try at least and let me know what you think personally!! I hope this helps
2022-11-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

This is a quick screen grab video from the RC Pro. Hopefully it works on the RC.
2022-11-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One point, if anyone alters theor controller's stick mode CHECK what becomes of the CSC position. I experimented with controller stick mode a while back and am left eith the impression that the CSC position was changed.

I could well be wrong but checking won't hurt anyone or anything and doesnt take long
2022-11-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-14 13:31
One point, if anyone alters theor controller's stick mode CHECK what becomes of the CSC position. I experimented with controller stick mode a while back and am left eith the impression that the CSC position was changed.

I could well be wrong but checking won't hurt anyone or anything and doesnt take long

On another thread I posted my tutorial video, the OP said it worked for him, BUT the motors would no longer would start. I'm pretty sure you are correct. I advised to try different CSCs.
2022-11-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-15 08:45
On another thread I posted my tutorial video, the OP said it worked for him, BUT the motors would no longer would start. I'm pretty sure you are correct. I advised to try different CSCs.

Yep. I just posted to the thread I think you are referring to.
2022-11-15
Use props
djiuser_rEMzHYx8kOly
lvl.1

Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-14 10:37
I have the RC Pro and use Mode 2 just fine. But, to help you uncoordinated types, I figured out how to change the sticks to Pull back to ascend.

Tsk tsk insulting people who want to have it the same as the aviation and underwater submersible drone industry. Your solution did not work either a simple observation would notice the reversal of left and right. Perhaps spend less time insulting and more time observing before make a fool of yourself.
2022-12-3
Use props
lloydyboy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2022-11-14 10:52
You need to realise that 99% of people flying drones know very little about fixed wing manned aircraft and don’t need to. But you will find that most humans aside from those trained otherwise will automatically believe that when you pull down then the craft will go down and the same when you push up it will go up. So while it may be normal for trained manned aircraft pilots it makes very little sense to those who know very little about fixed wing.

What would you normally teach a child up is up and down is down, you certainly would never expect a child to think up was down would you ?

Hi would teach a child...pull back is up just in case they need to land a plane
2023-4-10
Use props
fans9463d33f
New

United Arab Emirates

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-11-14 12:47
This is a quick screen grab video from the RC Pro. Hopefully it works on the RC.
https://youtu.be/XBmmz_ouh6A

In your video tutorial, it does reverse the ascend and descend controls. However, if you notice, the left right controls are now backwards which is unacceptable. No way to change all controls to the way you prefer. Needs an update to allow full customisation of controls like older drones.
2023-4-29
Use props
Spacemonkey
New

Germany

All the real aircrafts on the planet have a diffrent controllsetting. "Pull up! Pull up! Ist voice of the Autopilot. Not Push up! This is deadly wrong. I'am conviced that DJI will be sued in the US soon or later. There should be a Mode 4, RC controllers should be able to react like airplanes.

I'am a commercial pilot. And the setting possible are dangerous. This will kill somebody in real life.

Just a exemple: if a car manufactorer would swap throttle and brake - for no good reasons. This settup will kill somebody for sure as well.

Mode 4 should be Left: Pull up, Push down. Stir to the right, Stir to the left.

Right stick: Pull back, push forward. Move left, move right sidewards left, right.

Thanks. This is a real important detail. FAA and EASA should take a legislativ action otherwise.

2023-7-17
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

I think it's a matter of perspective, are you are viewing from the ground or the cockpit (screen view).
Try this : Hover your drone in front of you. Look at the drone (not the screen).
Push the stick up, the drone ascends and it's now logical.
2023-7-17
Use props
djiuser_KJpyNWMFUTTQ
New
Canada

Notwithstanding the various rational users have provided for “What the correct button assignments” should be, there is no technical reason I’m aware of that would prevent each function to be assigned and flipped….unfortunately as we have discovered, if you change/flip the ascend/descend function, the left/right are backwards and can’t be independently flipped correctly. At least I’ve tried and tried to no avail….perhaps a minor software change can correct.

2023-7-28
Use props
mgdimarco
New

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-11-14 10:37

Wah Lah, that worked. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Now I can fly like a real pilot. Pull Up, Push Down like a real airplane would.
2023-9-19
Use props
djiuser_b5Kb3O1cQZXc
New

United States

Just got a Mini3Pro, coming from a Mini2.  Always wanted to change the controls to be more like a helo, which I flew, violently, in Vietnam.  Well, just tried the "fix" above on my Mini3pro RC controller and, as has been stated, couldn't resolve the "left/right" thing.  So, back to square one unless someone has found a hack.
2023-10-12
Use props
KC-MO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 297247 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2022-11-14 10:52

Pushing the 'stick' FORWARD is not UP but forward. Someone using FPV goggles would know how confusing the reversed up/down can be.
Actually I would not 'expect' any setting to be fixed, which is the point.  It would be a simple matter to allow a different configuration of up and down.  
2023-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules