DJI RC - When it will be compatible with the DJI Air 2s?
33747 337 2022-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freshhhh
lvl.2

United States

I been tagging them every few days or hijack their new post and ask about #djircair2s but just coming on here is doing nothing
2022-10-8
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8068 ft
United States

I hope all of the efforts prove fruitful. But it will do no good if DJI is incapable of imparting Air2s support to the RC. I believe more with each passing day, that there is something about brand new DJI  drones that allow the RC to connect, that older drones do not have.

It doesn’t make sense that DJI would release a stand alone, multi drone controller, that cannot interact with more than a couple of new aircraft, now months after its release. How much greater could sales have been for the RC if DJI had made the controller capable of flying the Air2s, and the Mavic 2 for instance.

The only real item we can lobby DJI to do, is for them to release the much coveted list of drones that one day will have the RC support.

Could it be that the aircraft destined to be operated by the RC are still in development, thus, the lack of a list of drones that the RC can support now?
2022-10-8
Use props
garimba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21965 ft
Spain

Something good is coming let's hope it's true
https://twitter.com/dealsdrone/s ... IA35Nemy2n1euRhjkoQ

2022-10-10
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

If this is true, it would be wonderful news, although we will never know if they had it planned or if they really listened to us, let's wait and see what happens this month.

Update: I just got in touch with dji again and in customer service they have no idea, they made me a copy paste of the last conversation...
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_sGLzxocmbSI2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88422 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Dji has confirmed that the dji rc will be compatible with the air 2s within the release of the mavic 3 classic
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_sGLzxocmbSI2
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

I hope thet the picture of proof is allowed.
6438773B-04A8-47B5-98DE-A768D7229124.png
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_sGLzxocmbSI2
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI has confirmed that it will become supportet, within the release of the dji mavic 3 classic.

If someone can speak italian, here is the video..

https://youtu.be/48iotiokUSA
2022-10-10
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

Let's hope so, many of us have wanted it for a long time, I hope that DJI does not only release support for the mavic 3 classic and forget about the Air 2s, if an update comes out these days for the rc that supports the classic but not for the air2s go forgetting.
Aunque bueno, al parecer ya se esta haciendo eco la prensa.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techgenyz.com/2022/10/10/dji-rc-compatible-with-dji-air-2s/amp/
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_sGLzxocmbSI2
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

They will add the support for the air 2s too, it is also confirmed that the mini 3 non pro variant will be released, with the air 2s support maybe they will add also the air 2 support, and many others, like mini 2.
2022-10-10
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

if we see the history of dji rc updates they always do them between the 15th and 20th of each month, we will see this week, we will be attentive
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_sGLzxocmbSI2
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

Yeah i know, but at least the latest will be the end of october whend the mavic 3 classic comes out.
2022-10-10
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
United States

Sorry guys, but I don’t believe it.

I challenge a DJI rep to come here now (since it’s been “confirmed”), and give us that knowing nod!
2022-10-10
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

Well, apparently yes, it has already been confirmed by DJI in China, it is a matter of time before the update comes out
2022-10-10
Use props
freshhhh
lvl.2

United States

TMA-1 Posted at 10-10 16:11
Sorry guys, but I don’t believe it.

I challenge a DJI rep to come here now (since it’s been “confirmed”), and give us that knowing nod!

Its confirmed should just be a few days
2022-10-10
Use props
Charlinho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 619094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, seems to be a solid info :
https://dronedj.com/2022/10/10/air-2s-drone-dji-rc/
2022-10-10
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

Sir. Dann Posted at 10-10 00:14
If this is true, it would be wonderful news, although we will never know if they had it planned or if they really listened to us, let's wait and see what happens this month.

Update: I just got in touch with dji again and in customer service they have no idea, they made me a copy paste of the last conversation...

I'm quite sure they have planned. And now I hope they planned the C1 mark too, as they did for the Mavic 3.
2022-10-10
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
United States

Charlinho Posted at 10-10 23:09
Yes, seems to be a solid info :

I am still seeing words like, “may”,and  “likely”, or, “in the coming days”. It’s still not an official announcement.from DJI themselves. We are still in the realm of hopeful speculation.
2022-10-12
Use props
fansebae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7672598 ft
  • >>>
Canada

2022-10-12
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

This picture is fake
2022-10-12
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 425180 ft
United States

Hello all!  I think we will see the DJI RC compatible with the Air 2S and other drones shortly.  This is all just good marketing.  Right now the Air 2S and other drones are compatible with the more expensive Pro controller and DJI has been waiting to see how many Air 2S owners they could get to buy the more expensive controller before they make it compatible with the less expensive controller.  Once the sales on the Pro controller dip to the point where most that wanted a smart controller and could not wait have bought it they will make it compatible.  There is no reason not too, not only will they see a surge in buying from Air 2S owners they will likely see a surge in sales for the Mini Pro 3 as long time Air 2S owners opt to buy a new drone with a controller that is compatible with both.  Just a matter of time I think.  
2022-10-12
Use props
Mad_Hatter80
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4882769 ft
United States

Snook911 Posted at 10-12 08:22
Hello all!  I think we will see the DJI RC compatible with the Air 2S and other drones shortly.  This is all just good marketing.  Right now the Air 2S and other drones are compatible with the more expensive Pro controller and DJI has been waiting to see how many Air 2S owners they could get to buy the more expensive controller before they make it compatible with the less expensive controller.  Once the sales on the Pro controller dip to the point where most that wanted a smart controller and could not wait have bought it they will make it compatible.  There is no reason not too, not only will they see a surge in buying from Air 2S owners they will likely see a surge in sales for the Mini Pro 3 as long time Air 2S owners opt to buy a new drone with a controller that is compatible with both.  Just a matter of time I think.

That makes sense. Once the RC Pro sales drop, then they open up compatibility.
2022-10-12
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

Mad_Hatter80 Posted at 10-12 11:49
That makes sense. Once the RC Pro sales drop, then they open up compatibility.

Exactly!  They want to get as many Air 2S owners as they can to drop that $1,100 for the Pro before the open up the $300 RC controller.  
2022-10-12
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
United States

Snook911 Posted at 10-12 12:59
Exactly!  They want to get as many Air 2S owners as they can to drop that $1,100 for the Pro before the open up the $300 RC controller.

Honestly I don’t think that was the plan. The 2 units are so far apart in price that I think each was geared to a separate market. Good marketing? Well I guess you might consider it good on DJI’s part when they realized they could sell a bunch of the RCs to folks who knew they couldn’t use it with their current aircraft at least right now. Why develop the firmware when people purchased it anyway.

I think they are still scrambling to make the RC work with the Air2s, and possibly other older drones. Whether they ran into unforeseen problems, or were never intending for the cheaper controller to support what their more expensive RC Pro can, remains unknown.

I really wanted to purchase the RC, especially once the influencers related their belief that surely DJI would be making the RC support the Air2s. Now, if they finally get there with that support, I will wait a long while on the sidelines and watch.
2022-10-12
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

TMA-1 Posted at 10-12 15:21
Honestly I don’t think that was the plan. The 2 units are so far apart in price that I think each was geared to a separate market. Good marketing? Well I guess you might consider it good on DJI’s part when they realized they could sell a bunch of the RCs to folks who knew they couldn’t use it with their current aircraft at least right now. Why develop the firmware when people purchased it anyway.

I think they are still scrambling to make the RC work with the Air2s, and possibly other older drones. Whether they ran into unforeseen problems, or were never intending for the cheaper controller to support what their more expensive RC Pro can, remains unknown.

Hello, you bring up some decent points but I guess we can agree to disagree.  I think there are many people like myself who can afford the$1,100 Pro model but would rather go with the $300 model if possible. I just bought my Air 2S last month so I don’t mind waiting but if the wait had been longer and the there had been no rumors of Air 2S compatibility I probably would have bought the pro already.  The mini pro 3 and Air 2S seem pretty similar so I don’t think it a matter of development it’s a matter of timing.   DJI is paying attention and they know there are alot of Air 2S owners who want a smart controller. They also know that if they make them wait a certain # of those users (myself included)  will just but the more expensive pro model.  DJI does not want to risk losing sales on the pro model by making the RC model available at the same time.  In the end like everything else it’s a numbers game.
2022-10-12
Use props
Mad_Hatter80
lvl.3
United States

Snook911 Posted at 10-12 18:18
Hello, you bring up some decent points but I guess we can agree to disagree.  I think there are many people like myself who can afford the$1,100 Pro model but would rather go with the $300 model if possible. I just bought my Air 2S last month so I don’t mind waiting but if the wait had been longer and the there had been no rumors of Air 2S compatibility I probably would have bought the pro already.  The mini pro 3 and Air 2S seem pretty similar so I don’t think it a matter of development it’s a matter of timing.   DJI is paying attention and they know there are alot of Air 2S owners who want a smart controller. They also know that if they make them wait a certain # of those users (myself included)  will just but the more expensive pro model.  DJI does not want to risk losing sales on the pro model by making the RC model available at the same time.  In the end like everything else it’s a numbers game.

I agree with you. And if I remember correctly, when the mini 3 first came out, people were asking some of the reviewers if the RC worked with the Air 2s, and some said at first it did, but when DJI updated the firmware right before release, it only worked with the mini 3. It's possible it may not with drones before the Air 2s, since it was the first one running O3. There's no question if the RC can be compatible with the Air 2s, it's just a matter if and when. And so far the guy that's leaked this has been spot on about everything, almost like he's an undercover DJI employee to get rumors going...free advertisement.
2022-10-12
Use props
Serge Dussault
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275928 ft
Canada

Mad_Hatter80 Posted at 10-12 20:35
I agree with you. And if I remember correctly, when the mini 3 first came out, people were asking some of the reviewers if the RC worked with the Air 2s, and some said at first it did, but when DJI updated the firmware right before release, it only worked with the mini 3. It's possible it may not with drones before the Air 2s, since it was the first one running O3. There's no question if the RC can be compatible with the Air 2s, it's just a matter if and when. And so far the guy that's leaked this has been spot on about everything, almost like he's an undercover DJI employee to get rumors going...free advertisement.

2022-10-12
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Serge Dussault Posted at 10-12 22:02

I hope so!
2022-10-12
Use props
justyg2022
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Personally being a dji air 2s owner i feel like it gets left out from all the cool stuff. Like the dji googles v2. This dji rc etc. Think for the price of the drone we would be among the first to get some cool accessories.

So this idea seems the best I can come up with. Dji makes a program that everyone can download. You input the drone and you input the rc. Press create firmware. Bobs your uncle you have a working firmware for your preferred setup.
2022-10-13
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
United States

Snook911 Posted at 10-12 18:18
Hello, you bring up some decent points but I guess we can agree to disagree.  I think there are many people like myself who can afford the$1,100 Pro model but would rather go with the $300 model if possible. I just bought my Air 2S last month so I don’t mind waiting but if the wait had been longer and the there had been no rumors of Air 2S compatibility I probably would have bought the pro already.  The mini pro 3 and Air 2S seem pretty similar so I don’t think it a matter of development it’s a matter of timing.   DJI is paying attention and they know there are alot of Air 2S owners who want a smart controller. They also know that if they make them wait a certain # of those users (myself included)  will just but the more expensive pro model.  DJI does not want to risk losing sales on the pro model by making the RC model available at the same time.  In the end like everything else it’s a numbers game.

I suspect that if we sat down together we would find that we agree more than disagree. But marketing- wise I’m not sure. If DJI was set on pushing sales of the RC Pro particularly, why add their own cheaper controller to the mix? Or why release it as a stand alone controller, to be used theoretically with multi drones as well? No, I think they considered the RC Pro to be a controller that would be ideal for some professional uses of a drone. They even named it “Pro”.

Like you, I can afford the RC Pro, but don’t see a need for that level of controller. I love flying, but family time, weather, and other commitments/ hobbies, prevent me from having an “all in” for flying a UAV.  But certainly, doing any flying would be great using a controller that doesn’t require a cell phone or tablet to get live video and telemetry while flying.

I may one day get the RC, if things go the way everyone hopes. But I’m very curious why it’s really taking so long to get more compatibility to the RC, and also why DJI couldn’t indicate what aircraft would eventually join the list of RC- compatibles.
2022-10-13
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

TMA-1 Posted at 10-13 09:06
I suspect that if we sat down together we would find that we agree more than disagree. But marketing- wise I’m not sure. If DJI was set on pushing sales of the RC Pro particularly, why add their own cheaper controller to the mix? Or why release it as a stand alone controller, to be used theoretically with multi drones as well? No, I think they considered the RC Pro to be a controller that would be ideal for some professional uses of a drone. They even named it “Pro”.

Like you, I can afford the RC Pro, but don’t see a need for that level of controller. I love flying, but family time, weather, and other commitments/ hobbies, prevent me from having an “all in” for flying a UAV.  But certainly, doing any flying would be great using a controller that doesn’t require a cell phone or tablet to get live video and telemetry while flying.

I think your are right that we would agree more then disagree.    Companies do this all the time.  You will see Apple, Samsung, Sony ect....  release a more expensive product first and then later on release a stripped down less expensive version of the same product.  They don't release the less expensive version with more expensive version because they don't want to cannibalize the sales of the more expensive version.  Once sales have tapered off of the higher version the lower version will be released.  This is a fairly common practice within product development and release.  While I can't know for sure I suspect DJI is playing the same game.  Like you said why would DJI want to wait to get more compatibility or at least release the list of future compatible drones.  My feeling is to try and get more sales to the Pro version.  Starting at $1000 I would not call the The Air 2S  an entry level drone and I think it is being used by a lot of users for commercial use.  If the  Pro and the RC would have been released at the same time for the Air 2S some of those commercial users would have opted for the less expensive version but without the option and no real news from DJI about the lower combability the hope is they buy the Pro version.   DJI wanted to make sure those commercial users bought the Pro model controller before making the less expensive RC model broadly available on the Air 2S.   Just my thoughts, of course I could be wrong.  
2022-10-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 10-13 09:55
I think your are right that we would agree more then disagree.    Companies do this all the time.  You will see Apple, Samsung, Sony ect....  release a more expensive product first and then later on release a stripped down less expensive version of the same product.  They don't release the less expensive version with more expensive version because they don't want to cannibalize the sales of the more expensive version.  Once sales have tapered off of the higher version the lower version will be released.  This is a fairly common practice within product development and release.  While I can't know for sure I suspect DJI is playing the same game.  Like you said why would DJI want to wait to get more compatibility or at least release the list of future compatible drones.  My feeling is to try and get more sales to the Pro version.  Starting at $1000 I would not call the The Air 2S  an entry level drone and I think it is being used by a lot of users for commercial use.  If the  Pro and the RC would have been released at the same time for the Air 2S some of those commercial users would have opted for the less expensive version but without the option and no real news from DJI about the lower combability the hope is they buy the Pro version.   DJI wanted to make sure those commercial users bought the Pro model controller before making the less expensive RC model broadly available on the Air 2S.   Just my thoughts, of course I could be wrong.

dji is a technology driven company not a marketing driven company.  nothing you said is true about dji.  the roadmap is baked and has little to do with sales results.  pretty sure the product development team has little to no idea about the sales figures (how could they know how retailers are really doing) and has almost zero impact on the release dates.  this might have been true once upon a time back in the 90s when such "marketing" was a thing but there's no one left (in charge) who knows anything about it today otherwise why would anyone launch a drone at the end of the summer or a few weeks after black friday if they were interested in "sales."  back in the day if you didn't have your stuff together and in target and best buy hands by august, they wouldn't take it until next year.  who launches a drone looking for sales in the middle of winter?

dji doesn't have enough serious competition to aggressively market and promote drones let alone drone accessories.  with covid and unpredictable supply chain problems, it is what it is and most planning goes out the window.  why on earth would a company plan around a software update (needed to make these remotes compatible) to an accessory a strategic priority?  if dji were selling millions of drones alone and the rc was an essential (not included) accessory, i can maybe see it but up until lately, 95% of the people who had a drone had an rc and all you need is one rc to fly so the rest is just smoke if you're trying to "upsell" 5%.  it's a collossal waste of time and resources and if dji never decided to sw update another remote ever again (aside for the required tech), it would only be a blip.  besides, i think they are moving to drone only kits and that's mostly for logistical reasons and costs, not some marketing strategy.  otherwise, why wouldn't they milk it without actually coming out and saying it:  buy an "o3" drone and "o3" accessories are/will be compatible one day, people would automatically know.  im saying dji really doesn't care as much about "compatibility."  if it gets done then it gets done....unlike apple where if you buy an iphone or an ipad, you know it will [mostly] work with your macbook or app or os or any future apple stuff.  drones aren't there yet.  im opining about consumer drones, the business side or commercial drones might be a different story.
2022-10-13
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 10-13 13:33
dji is a technology driven company not a marketing driven company.  nothing you said is true about dji.  the roadmap is baked and has little to do with sales results.  pretty sure the product development team has little to no idea about the sales figures (how could they know how retailers are really doing) and has almost zero impact on the release dates.  this might have been true once upon a time back in the 90s when such "marketing" was a thing but there's no one left (in charge) who knows anything about it today otherwise why would anyone launch a drone at the end of the summer or a few weeks after black friday if they were interested in "sales."  back in the day if you didn't have your stuff together and in target and best buy hands by august, they wouldn't take it until next year.  who launches a drone looking for sales in the middle of winter?

dji doesn't have enough serious competition to aggressively market and promote drones let alone drone accessories.  with covid and unpredictable supply chain problems, it is what it is and most planning goes out the window.  why on earth would a company plan around a software update (needed to make these remotes compatible) to an accessory a strategic priority?  if dji were selling millions of drones alone and the rc was an essential (not included) accessory, i can maybe see it but up until lately, 95% of the people who had a drone had an rc and all you need is one rc to fly so the rest is just smoke if you're trying to "upsell" 5%.  it's a collossal waste of time and resources and if dji never decided to sw update another remote ever again (aside for the required tech), it would only be a blip.  besides, i think they are moving to drone only kits and that's mostly for logistical reasons and costs, not some marketing strategy.  otherwise, why wouldn't they milk it without actually coming out and saying it:  buy an "o3" drone and "o3" accessories are/will be compatible one day, people would automatically know.  im saying dji really doesn't care as much about "compatibility."  if it gets done then it gets done....unlike apple where if you buy an iphone or an ipad, you know it will [mostly] work with your macbook or app or os or any future apple stuff.  drones aren't there yet.  im opining about consumer drones, the business side or commercial drones might be a different story.

Ok, wow that is a lot so lets take is one at a time,    I agree with you that DJI is a technology company and that the product development team knows little about sales but that's about it.    I am in the insurance industry and have been in sales and marketing most of my adult life.  I know the insurance industry is a completely different industry but I can tell you for sure that any company no matter what the industry that does not market is dead. Every company out there is a marketing company.  The reason the product development team know little about sales is because that is not their responsibility.  They develop the products and when they are ready a meeting with the sales and marketing department will take place where the product development team will go over in detail the new product .From their sales and marketing take over and decides when the best time to release products and software is.  Its all planned out and road mapped very carefully to maximize sales.   From what I have gathered DJI has a very targeted approach to their marketing.  As soon as I started looking for drones on the internet, targeted ads for DJI started coming up even though I may not have specifically searching for DJI drones.  Search for drones on Amazon and almost every sponsored ad will be from DJI.

As far as release dates for technology products  it is a tricky business.  When the iPhone first came out Apple released them in June (except for the iPhone 3G which was July) . They did this to give them enough time to work out the bugs before the holiday season.  With more experience and less time needed they now release the iPhone every September,   A May release for a new drone (mini pro 3)  seems perfectly logical to me.  That gives 6 months to workout the bugs before the holiday season.   Drones are becoming more and more mainstream and DJI is poised as the major player.  They also have the new Mavic 3 classic slated for release in the next 2 weeks or so and the Avata released in August right before the holidays.   So lets recap, that is 3 new drones and a new RC controller all in the last 5 months.  They are also about to release compatibility with the new RC controller with one of their most popular drones right before the holidays and you think none of these actions are sales driven?  We can agree to disagree because from what I have seen and through my experience and knowledge every retail business is sales driven and  DJI maybe a tech company  but they are in the retail sales business.     
2022-10-13
Use props
brusa69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3362251 ft
  • >>>
Italy

https://twitter.com/OsitaLV/status/1581195823328931842

2022-10-15
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

brusa69 Posted at 10-15 00:54
https://twitter.com/OsitaLV/status/1581195823328931842

[view_image]

Wow!! Awesome!!
2022-10-15
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

So it could be said that it is already fully confirmed, the only thing left is to wait for the update that should not take long to arrive, what bothers me the most is that DJI, knowing it, has not given more information, but well, the important thing is that it will be compatible
2022-10-15
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Sir. Dann Posted at 10-15 03:25
So it could be said that it is already fully confirmed, the only thing left is to wait for the update that should not take long to arrive, what bothers me the most is that DJI, knowing it, has not given more information, but well, the important thing is that it will be compatible

Could be a Christmas bundle?
They did something similar in the US last year but with the RC Pro and the Air2s
2022-10-15
Use props
Sir. Dann
lvl.2
Spain

it would be the perfect package for black friday it would sell itself
2022-10-15
Use props
Kessler
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I just read that you need to cache maps to the controller before you fly. Someone else said the signal is bad.
Is it possible to fly without hotspotting to your phone or what is the downside of not having WiFi?
Just ordered the controller to make it easier to get the drone in the air - want to make sure that is the case.
2022-10-15
Use props
Mad_Hatter80
lvl.3
United States

Kessler Posted at 10-15 11:32
I just read that you need to cache maps to the controller before you fly. Someone else said the signal is bad.
Is it possible to fly without hotspotting to your phone or what is the downside of not having WiFi?
Just ordered the controller to make it easier to get the drone in the air - want to make sure that is the case.

You can fly without being tethered to a hotspot. Having it connected just updates your maps. If you know where you're going to fly or fly at a certain location often, while you are at home or connected to some form of internet, go to maps on the controller and zoom all the way in at that location. Then it's cached into the controller and saved for when you are out flying.
2022-10-15
Use props
TMA-1
lvl.3
United States

I am seeing more and more “confirmations “, albeit cautious affirmations, by various internet sites. Still no official real announcement from DJI of RC support of our Air2s.

At least there is still time left in the month of October, to make the RC/ Air2s compatibility projection happen.

Perhaps it was just in their choice of words, but Dronedj’s statement noting essentially that DJI’s engineers have just about worked out how to make the RC “backwards compatible “ with the Air2s, is a bit in line with my feeling that something amiss is the reason for the compatibility delay (or decision to make it happen at all). You know, I work with IT folks all the time, and see where certain assumptions about the marriage of certain software/firmware and hardware, don’t always go as planned.

Let’s hope that the DJI folks have solved their issues in a reliable manner.
2022-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules