Different Video files on the goggles vs. on the aircraft
2391 7 2022-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I took my newly purchased DJI FPV yesterday and flew a total of 9 minutes. The goggles SD card had a single file of size 1.3 GB. In contrast, the SD card from the drone had 3 movies files with about 0.4 GB size each. Two questions then:

1. Why is the drone recording split into multiple files?
2. Any sure way to sync the files from both devices?

Thank You
2022-5-23
Use props
RH009
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2234616 ft
United States

The drone records at a higher resolution than the goggles. I believe the goggles records at 1440 x 810, where the drone records at 3840 x 2160 on High Quality Mode and 1920 x 1080 on Low Latency Mode.

ETA: I just pull both SD cards and save the files onto my hard drive by date, one folder for UAV and another folder for Goggles.

I'm not sure why it splits them, but I imagine it has something to do with the format (FAT32 vs. NTFS) of the SD cards, but I haven't looked into it.
2022-5-23
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the reply. I pondered few scenarios like that but I must run few more experiments. Even though the resolutions are different, the total file size is about the same. I have to look deeper in the settings and explore what options are available. Good point about the exFat/NTFS, though I thought I read in the manual that they use only exFAT. The other variable for me is that the two cards are NOT the same. The drone uses a SanDisk Extreme whereas the goggles use a Samsung PRO. Incidentally when I install the cards initially, the drone complained that the samsung card was not fast enough, so I swapped them, and the goggles (with now Samsung) did not complain at all.... Too many questions, though not sure answers will bring greater wisdom
2022-5-23
Use props
RH009
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2234616 ft
United States

It's the same for my drone and goggles. I have the same card in both (U3 SanDisk Extreme Plus A2 256GB). The only other difference I remember seeing is that the drone records as a .mp4 and the goggles record as a .mov. I'm sure there's a setting to change that, but I haven't played with it enough.
2022-5-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JB63. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. In addition I hope that our felloe DJI co pilots can give what editing software they are using with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-5-23
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

JB63 Posted at 5-23 09:32
Thank you for the reply. I pondered few scenarios like that but I must run few more experiments. Even though the resolutions are different, the total file size is about the same. I have to look deeper in the settings and explore what options are available. Good point about the exFat/NTFS, though I thought I read in the manual that they use only exFAT. The other variable for me is that the two cards are NOT the same. The drone uses a SanDisk Extreme whereas the goggles use a Samsung PRO. Incidentally when I install the cards initially, the drone complained that the samsung card was not fast enough, so I swapped them, and the goggles (with now Samsung) did not complain at all.... Too many questions, though not sure answers will bring greater wisdom

I use SanDisk Extreme 256 GB cards in both the drone and the goggles. For any given flight, the files are VASTLY different sizes. The card in the goggles still has every flight I've ever made, and it's less than half full. I've already had to offload some files from the card in the drone, because it filled up.

In every case the goggles record the full flight. In the drone, the files are limited to 3.81 GB due to the FAT32 file format limitation. 4K burns that up pretty quick. I'll frequently have three separate, sequential files on the drone card for just one flight. They stitch together seamlessly if you concatenate them with a video editor.

I also noticed the format difference, MOV for the files in the goggles, and MP4 for the files in the drone. That's more than a little weird, and I'd like to know how that came to pass, but it's never been a problem. It's just weird.

Thx,

TCS
2022-5-27
Use props
djiuser_evRQuTURZbyR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1610604 ft
United States

Is there any youtube video that talks about the three different ways to record video on both the drone and the goggles and how to download the content onto the phone, because this shot seems really confusing, then there is also the internal storage, SD storage, and then when you open the DJI Fly app, there is the Aircraft album and then the saved, but is there any kind of videos that explains all that in simple terms, because it just all seems too complicated, I record stuff, I'm ready to download them into my phone, but don't see everything, if you know what I mean or if you need more understanding please let me know, but someone please help me with understanding how all this works.
2023-12-8
Use props
djiuser_67ZSGNKGUwHi
lvl.1

Canada

I'm new to this forum, I need to start a new thread to ask a question about o3, but the forum tells me that I don't have rights, how to request the rights?
2023-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules