A general Battery enquiry.
658 9 2022-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Hi folks, just a general question.  As my batteries still refuse to discharge when left in the hub I was wondering what charging regime people use?  So I go flying and use my 3 batteries, 1  to maybe  40% another to maybe 35% and possibly the other to 65%.  Am I best to go home and charge straight away before storage or just leave them until I am flying again and charge them then?  Of course I no longer leave them in the hub after charging.
2022-5-24
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

I usually store all my batteries at about 50% of charge (2 squares over 4 in the charger). This corresponds at about 3.8V per cell, that is the optimal storage charge for Lipo batteries. I charge the batteries that falls below that level and I discharge the batteries thar are above (using the charger as a power bank for my smartphone).
2022-5-24
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks, so you would suggest I put them straight on charge and remove when they get to 2 lights of 4 flashing and discharge the other.  Then charge before the next flight.  Makes sense.
2022-5-24
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Rockbyter Posted at 5-24 10:46
Thanks, so you would suggest I put them straight on charge and remove when they get to 2 lights of 4 flashing and discharge the other.  Then charge before the next flight.  Makes sense.

Two lights fixed when pushing the side butto of the charge.
BTW: this is what I do. Maybe there are some better practices here around …
2022-5-24
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Rockbyter Posted at 5-24 10:46
Thanks, so you would suggest I put them straight on charge and remove when they get to 2 lights of 4 flashing and discharge the other.  Then charge before the next flight.  Makes sense.

Yes that is correct. 2 lights is about 50% and 3,8V. Perfect for storage 2-3 months. Then charge them full again and discharge them to 50%. Within this interval charge them before flying again and you will have a long battery life.
2022-5-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rockbyter. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Please do not charge your DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery immediately after flight. The battery temperature may be too high and may cause serious damage to the battery. Allow the battery to cool down to close to room temperature before charging. In addition, the DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling. The battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to approximately 72% of the battery level when it is idle for five days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. In addition, I will post a link where in you can find the DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines user manual ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_12.pdf ). Thank you.

2022-5-24
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks DJI Stephan, no where did I say I charged them immediately.  I travel home have a cuppa, download videos etc. then put them on charge ready for the next day if weather is OK but mostly in the good old UK it never is so has to wait.  Also I can leave them in the hub for 14 days and they will not discharge to anywhere near 75% so I leave them turned round the other way.
2022-5-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Rockbyter Posted at 5-25 10:14
Thanks DJI Stephan, no where did I say I charged them immediately.  I travel home have a cuppa, download videos etc. then put them on charge ready for the next day if weather is OK but mostly in the good old UK it never is so has to wait.  Also I can leave them in the hub for 14 days and they will not discharge to anywhere near 75% so I leave them turned round the other way.

As a general rule, you should never leave a LiPo battery in a chager for any extended period of time. There is a high risk of a fire. I charge mine the day before a flight, then store them until next time and repeat.
2022-5-25
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't leave them on charge, like many I like to leave them in the hub simply for storage.  The firmware was supposed to address the problem of no discharge when left in the hub (unpowered) but mine doesn't.  I know this so reverse them so the connections are open.  I have the answer to my original post so will change my method just a little as per recommendations.
Thanks all.
2022-5-26
Use props
ZOOF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566804 ft
United States

I store mine in the hub no problem at 50% and they stay at that charge for weeks with no problems. I manage to fly weekly in the summer and at least monthly in the winter so no issues.
2022-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules