Is it available Offline maps with DJI RC controller?
14962 15 2022-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aya36
New
Japan

Is it possible to display satelite maps on a DJI RC controller (not DJI RC-N1) when I use the DJI Mini 3 pro in offline environment ?  I concern about  how I get and keep map data in DJI RC controller without mobile phone.  

2022-5-24
Use props
fansee011aa0
New
Germany

Good question. I‘m facing with the same question.
2022-5-26
Use props
DaveM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23035 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This may help to cache the maps before hand without having a phone with you whilst flying.

2022-5-26
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

You'll need to download first connected to Wi-Fi or tether to your phone to cache the maps. Same for all DJI fly apps.
2022-5-26
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems to work much like other DJI drones, if you view an area on the map while connected to wifi then the map data is cached so that you can still view it when offline.
2022-5-26
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Fiddling with the new RC for the first time, I really miss back in the old days where you can download the maps of a particular country. The most intuitive option IMHO, similar to most offline GPS apps especially you're on vacation in a remote area where cell reception is flaky or you have limited data. Even with online maps such as Google, I still rely on offline maps for long road trips.

Then DJI changed it to download only within certain area, that got it more challenging but still OK. And now with the DJI RC I need to pan thoroughly the entire area through the 5.5" screen just to get it cached. Most frustrating is there's no way for you to search whilst getting it cached. That's the issue. I could imagine I checked into a hotel room with no GPS, took out the DJI RC it shows I'm somewhere in the middle of the ocean and I'll have a hard time finding the foreign hotel on the app map itself to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@DJI, is there any plan to improve this? Add search to the cacheable maps (some visual indication the map is actually cached) or best bring back the downloadable/manageable map options. I wouldn't want to assumed the area is being cached but when it's time to fly in the area where I'm uncertain of its cell coverage, the map cache got over written to save space.
2022-5-29
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249249 ft
United States

This is exactly why I started the other thread on the new controller actually being a step backward.  If you have to use the phone as the screen the maps are always there via cellular connection.
2022-5-29
Use props
John 970
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9531 ft
United States

Does anyone know if these offline cached maps download to the SD card?  meaning that ..
Can I pan around the country and all of the areas I covered will be saved in the cache?
I believe my first flight had the map out in the ocean somewhere and didn't provide any useful information in finding my way home.
And.. When I was downloading the maps I turned off the drone as it was getting hot. Am I still downloading maps?
I'll unusually be out of cell phone coverage when flying and only using the RC Controller.
Thank you in advance.
2022-6-12
Use props
djiuser_MhvHCDi1Rvnq
lvl.1
Canada

I need to be able to cache hundreds of miles of maps as I will be flying in areas with no cellphone reception for days at a time for the month of July.
I'll have cellular service once every 2-3 days when I pass through a town with a cell tower.
Do I need to buy the older controller and just use my phone?
@dji
2022-6-17
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It would be great if it used something like Open Android Maps to allow downloading of a region
2022-6-17
Use props
BeemerBoy1000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 918839 ft
United Kingdom

It does make you wonder how the  user acceptance testing of the drones goes before full release. Someone must do real life testing....
2022-6-21
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BeemerBoy1000 Posted at 6-21 10:05
It does make you wonder how the  user acceptance testing of the drones goes before full release. Someone must do real life testing....

I always wonder this, is it just YouTubers and paid influencers or are people properly beta testing?
2022-6-21
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 6-21 11:04
I always wonder this, is it just YouTubers and paid influencers or are people properly beta testing?

We are all the beta testers have been since the start
2022-6-21
Use props
djiuser_HVUMjweAI1fY
New

Australia

I have my wifi on but when I start flying, it turns off the wifi and Bluetooth while using it. Won't let me use my wifi when flying.

At least add the option to download offline or using wifi while flying!
2022-11-27
Use props
fans5066bcec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105361 ft
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2022-5-29 10:09
Fiddling with the new RC for the first time, I really miss back in the old days where you can download the maps of a particular country. The most intuitive option IMHO, similar to most offline GPS apps especially you're on vacation in a remote area where cell reception is flaky or you have limited data. Even with online maps such as Google, I still rely on offline maps for long road trips.

Then DJI changed it to download only within certain area, that got it more challenging but still OK. And now with the DJI RC I need to pan thoroughly the entire area through the 5.5" screen just to get it cached. Most frustrating is there's no way for you to search whilst getting it cached. That's the issue. I could imagine I checked into a hotel room with no GPS, took out the DJI RC it shows I'm somewhere in the middle of the ocean and I'll have a hard time finding the foreign hotel on the app map itself to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plus 1 to this. Exactly captures the issue.
2023-6-23
Use props
fans5066bcec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105361 ft
United States

An option for some is to tether (Bluetooth) to your mobile device for access to the broadband network. Or set up a mobile Hotspot and connect the RC via wifi. I'd be curious which provides faster speeds.
2023-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules