3D-printed leg extensions
3722 34 2022-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

I have been working very hard on designing extension legs for the newest  member of the Mini family, and I am quite pleased with the result:

drone_with_legs.jpg

It was much more difficult to design than I had first anticipated, but I  think the end result looks quite good, and it fits the shape of the  drone very well. I also came up with the idea of having just a single  leg in the rear, which makes it easier to find a stable position if the  surface is uneven (like a tripod).

I also created a video to show preparation and how to attach the legs to the drone (even if it is basically self-explanatory):

Should anyone want to print these, the files can be found (for a small fee) here:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/dji-mini-3-pro-extension-legs-clipon-style

Combined weight is less than 10 grams, but it will obviously bring the total to above 250 grams, so beware.

I also created a short video showing takeoff and landing with these legs attached:

2022-5-25
Use props
b_ron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Very neat. Color is fairly close to the drone color as well.
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

b_ron Posted at 5-25 06:42
Very neat. Color is fairly close to the drone color as well.

Yes, closest I had lying around. However, it would also have been cool to print in orange or something, to match the color of the tips of the propellers.
2022-5-25
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

that is absolutely wicked.  wish i had a 3d printer
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow, well done, such a shame re weight, but that only matters if flying under the 250g category, so many still may want them..
2022-5-25
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-25 07:23
Wow, well done, such a shame re weight, but that only matters if flying under the 250g category, so many still may want them..

i could use these with my a1/a2 easa which covers over 250g?
2022-5-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am not sure the extra weight is an issue as the maker of the Drone (DJI) has stated the MTOM as 249 g and that is what the legalisation in the U.K. talks about

Excellent job by the way. I have a 3D printer and any designs I have done I upload to thingyverse for people to download for free.

2022-5-25
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Cool thanks for sharing! I thought of creating this but still awaiting for the shipment any day now. Do you also happen to plan creating the lens cover for DIY ND filters?
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-25 09:18
I am not sure the extra weight is an issue as the maker of the Drone (DJI) has stated the MTOM as 249 g and that is what the legalisation in the U.K. talks about

Excellent job by the way. I have a 3D printer and any designs I have done I upload to thingyverse for people to download for free.

I'm no expert on the regulations, people must decide for themself whether the added weight is acceptable or not.

I also have many free designs, but creating designs like this is pretty time consuming (lots of angles and curves to get right), and I think that asking a small fee for the files is OK.
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

chillibadger Posted at 5-25 07:39

I can't say, but I would guess so. Shouldn't be much different to DJI selling a heavier battery for areas where the rules are less strict wrt weight.
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Nazar78 Posted at 5-25 09:21
Cool thanks for sharing! I thought of creating this but still awaiting for the shipment any day now. Do you also happen to plan creating the lens cover for DIY ND filters?

What kind of material would you use for DIY ND filters? Some kind of ND gel sheet?

I could certainly look at designing an attachment for this, but the quality of a DIY ND filter will probably not match a professional grade filter, I suppose.
2022-5-25
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

mroek Posted at 5-25 09:36
What kind of material would you use for DIY ND filters? Some kind of ND gel sheet?

I could certainly look at designing an attachment for this, but the quality of a DIY ND filter will probably not match a professional grade filter, I suppose.

Yes, or probably salvage the lens from my old ND filters sets that I now seldom use. But think when my shipment arrives, I would probably first do up the RC attachments, i.e. shades, spare sticks etc.
2022-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very creative.    Definitely gives a bit more prop to ground clearance with the extensions.  Nice minimal fee for all the time that you have in developing these.

2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Nazar78 Posted at 5-25 09:54
Yes, or probably salvage the lens from my old ND filters sets that I now seldom use. But think when my shipment arrives, I would probably first do up the RC attachments, i.e. shades, spare sticks etc.

My next project is most likely a custom shade for the new DJI RC, btw.  :-)

However, doing DIY ND is also something I will look at, as I do have some ND gel sheets lying around. Not really dense enough, though, and stacking multiple layers is far from ideal.
2022-5-25
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Well done, especialy getting the downward sensors more off the ground.
Have you claimed the coppyright ? Hopefully the Chinese will not copy your idea.
The only concern i have is the weight.
The surface looks very smooth. Which 3D printer did you use ?
2022-5-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done but I was thinking about something out of a thin sheet of aluminum for a clip on, it might be done without going over 250g. maybe just have the leg coming down from the front clip area will save some weight. Don't know how much weight you can shave off the back piece though
2022-5-25
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

mroek Posted at 5-25 10:31
My next project is most likely a custom shade for the new DJI RC, btw.  :-)

However, doing DIY ND is also something I will look at, as I do have some ND gel sheets lying around. Not really dense enough, though, and stacking multiple layers is far from ideal.

Yeah me too, I already have the  design idea, single printed flex PETG.

No problem on the lens cover, I'll try designing my own, just have to wait for the actual product which I just checked it has landed in my country!!!
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

MySky Posted at 5-25 10:54
Well done, especialy getting the downward sensors more off the ground.
Have you claimed the coppyright ? Hopefully the Chinese will not copy your idea.
The only concern i have is the weight.

Thanks!

I have seen more than my fair share of Chinese piracy, and for some of my older designs (for a different drone) I have even seen the products for sale on sites like Banggood. The files were free, but only for personal use, so not allowed to use commercially. That's also true for these new designs, for which I hold the copyright (by having them published and named as copyrighted). However, that is of course only true for my particular design, and for sure other designs will also pop up going forward.

For practical purposes, I don't think that less than 10 grams will matter much, but fo regulatory purposes it does bring the weight above the 250 grams limit, of course.

BTW, I'm using a standard FDM printer (a Craftbot 2), so nothing special. This was printed in 0.2 mm layer height, so not at the minimum possible layer height.

2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Wiz33 Posted at 5-25 10:56
Nicely done but I was thinking about something out of a thin sheet of aluminum for a clip on, it might be done without going over 250g. maybe just have the leg coming down from the front clip area will save some weight. Don't know how much weight you can shave off the back piece though

Not a chance, sorry. The drone itself weighs 248.5 grams, give or take, and it will be impossible to make something out of aluminium that weighs less than 1.5 grams and also fits the purpose.
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Nazar78 Posted at 5-25 11:03
Yeah me too, I already have the  design idea, single printed flex PETG.

No problem on the lens cover, I'll try designing my own, just have to wait for the actual product which I just checked it has landed in my country!!!

I am actually going to print it in a rigid material (PLA for example), but I may have to print it in more than one part to get the strength where I need it. Bending rigid plastic must be across layer lines, not along layer lines (because then it will inevitably break).

The lens cover will need some careful design work, since the locking tabs are really tiny.
2022-5-25
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Singapore

mroek Posted at 5-25 11:21
I am actually going to print it in a rigid material (PLA for example), but I may have to print it in more than one part to get the strength where I need it. Bending rigid plastic must be across layer lines, not along layer lines (because then it will inevitably break).

The lens cover will need some careful design work, since the locking tabs are really tiny.

Just sharing my shades thoughts, I bought one of the knockoffs that is foldable for my M2P. Probably will use that concept to either fold the layer lines or articulate the joins.

As for the lens cover I'll use the .1 or .2 mm nozzle with .2mm layer as the gimbal seems so tiny.

Back on the extension legs topic, how much can we shave off to get the 250g requirements? Zero infill? Mesh type design? From a rough calculation it needs about half meter of PLA to print 1.5g. So think a single skid meshed type legs should be possible?
2022-5-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

mroek Posted at 5-25 11:17
Not a chance, sorry. The drone itself weighs 248.5 grams, give or take, and it will be impossible to make something out of aluminium that weighs less than 1.5 grams and also fits the purpose.

Ah, not going to be a problem while I'm home as I'm already registered with the Air2 will just have to fly without legs when I travel.
2022-5-25
Use props
mroek
lvl.2
Norway

Nazar78 Posted at 5-25 11:49
Just sharing my shades thoughts, I bought one of the knockoffs that is foldable for my M2P. Probably will use that concept to either fold the layer lines or articulate the joins.

As for the lens cover I'll use the .1 or .2 mm nozzle with .2mm layer as the gimbal seems so tiny.

I actually tend to only use a 0.4 mm nozzle, even if I have smaller ones. I can usually always get away with it, so I don't bother changing for a smaller nozzle.

When it comes to weight of the legs, I already printed with zero infill, and I doubt you can create anything useful within 1.5 grams. It would have to be mesh I think, but strength will become a problem really fast. And I also don't think you could make it stiff enough to have it clip on, so you'd have to use glue or double sided sticky tape.

I've just accepted the fact that this can't really be done while also keeping the weight within 250 grams, but you are of course welcome to try, and to prove me wrong.  :-)
2022-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mroek. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting accessory that you have created for your DJI Mini 3 Pro. This is very innovative. Have a safe and a happy filming always.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-25 09:18

Youre misunderstanding, these take the MTOM over the 250g limit, therefore you cannot fly with these in the sub 250g class. Same principle as the larger battery.

A1 = under 250g and can fly over people uninvolved people but not crowds
Important part
A1 (transitional) up to  31st Dec 2022 = 250g to 500g cannot fly over (intentionally) uninvolved people MUST HAVE your A2 CofC

2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chillibadger Posted at 5-25 07:39

If you have the UK A2 CofC then yes, that is until the 31st of Dec this year, unless the CAA extend it of which i am expecting them to at least another year but hoping for 2 years...
2022-5-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But the MTOM is as defined by DJI not the actual mass
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, correct, sort of, DJI defined the MOTM at the time of sale for the accessories available to our country, that does not include any other accessories that you may add at a later time, DJI cannot know what you might do with with the drone.

Because you want to add them to your Sub 250g, you will be changing that MOTM and in turn changing that classification placement. If you want to add these, you will need your A2 CofC to legally fly it with the now new MOTM, sub 500g and only until the end of this year (officially) then you will have to fly it in the A3 class while its wearing its accessories that take it over the 250g.

I hope that clarifies things?
2022-5-25
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you advise where DJI have specified a MTOM please. Spec sheet on DJI.com indicates Take Off Weight which is very different from MTOM.
MTOM is a figure you are not allowed to exceed - it is a maximum. I believe DJI will be very careful about specifying MTOM as with the Plus Battery the weight exceeds 249 grams as we all know.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 5-25 23:42
Can you advise where DJI have specified a MTOM please. Spec sheet on DJI.com indicates Take Off Weight which is very different from MTOM.
MTOM is a figure you are not allowed to exceed - it is a maximum. I believe DJI will be very careful about specifying MTOM as with the Plus Battery the weight exceeds 249 grams as we all know.

I think it would have to be in the papers they would have to submit to the relevant bodies.
We (UK) and other countries only recognise MOTM, MOTW is gone, we have to include the weight of any accessory that can be bought in the corresponding country. This is why we cannot officially buy the larger capacity battery nor the wide-angled lens, i assume that that is >2g

It's easily recognisable though, any accessory that is sold by DJI to the UK does not exceed the drone's weight of 250g, AKA MOTM.

The US for example, the MOTM would be about 290g because they can buy the  Wide angle and larger battery. but they don't actually have a max set over there, YET! lol
2022-5-26
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We (UK) and other countries only recognise MOTM, MOTW is gone, we have to include the weight of any accessory that can be bought in the corresponding country.

That is only true for sub 250 gram drones with C0 certification - as yet there are none. The current DJI Mini 3 Pro is a "Legacy" drone in the UK and is therefore still subject to "Flying Weight" not MTOM. In the UK you can still fly the Mini 3 Pro with the Plus Battery but it has to flown under different Sub Category requirements ie A3 without A2CofC or A1 (Transitional) with an A2CofC .

With the CAA potential extension of Transitional end date - possibly a further 2 years to end of 2025 - I really don't understand why DJI prohibit the sale of the Plus Battery in the UK. As a holder of an A2CofC I would like to make use of this battery and the extended flight times it provides and fly under the limits of A1 (Transitional) with an A2CofC ie no intentional flight over people.

CAP 2012 - FYI

2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good point, but sadly thats not how DJI is looking at it, why DJI has done this i do not know?
2022-5-26
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-26 06:42
Good point, but sadly thats not how DJI is looking at it, why DJI has done this i do not know?

I'm sure there would be many in UK & Europe that would like the Plus Battery - surprised DJI are turning down the income.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 5-26 08:36
I'm sure there would be many in UK & Europe that would like the Plus Battery - surprised DJI are turning down the income.

Yes, i agree, well spotted, i have sent Support an email regarding this but I'm not holding any hope on the matter, whats worse is that its more than likely that the period will be extended at least another year, probably 2 though...
2022-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I knew they would be coming.
2022-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now