Cell Tower Interference Fact or Fiction??
6395 44 2022-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikeBNA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11692474 ft
United States

The email from DJI referenced FLY046, and the DAT files that I could recover myself ended at FLY045. Maybe they have access to files that don't show up for users.

The actual crash events (RTH command, drone turning 180 degrees from home point, throttling up, and angling 45 degrees towards the ground and control inputs having no effect in P or S mode) matches with what I have read regarding compass issues causing crashes/flyaways. I did not notice any discrepancy between drone position and map orientation, but I wasn't watching that closely as the incident unfolded. The GPS location at some time became accurate since that is how I found the crashed drone, from it's last location on the map before the battery was thrown out.

Without the complete log it probably won't be possible to distinguish between a compass issue exacerbated by the tower structure and an issue with the signals from the tower antenna hardware.
2023-3-6
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

My two cents worth, I have flown around many cell towers within 20 feet.   My Phantom 4 had  no problems.
2023-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MikeBNA Posted at 3-6 18:15
The email from DJI referenced FLY046, and the DAT files that I could recover myself ended at FLY045. Maybe they have access to files that don't show up for users.

The actual crash events (RTH command, drone turning 180 degrees from home point, throttling up, and angling 45 degrees towards the ground and control inputs having no effect in P or S mode) matches with what I have read regarding compass issues causing crashes/flyaways. I did not notice any discrepancy between drone position and map orientation, but I wasn't watching that closely as the incident unfolded. The GPS location at some time became accurate since that is how I found the crashed drone, from it's last location on the map before the battery was thrown out.

Maybe they have access to files that don't show up for users.
Users cannot decrypt the .dat files on the drone so it's not really relevant anyway.

The actual crash events (RTH command, drone turning 180 degrees from home point, throttling up, and angling 45 degrees towards the ground and control inputs having no effect in P or S mode) matches with what I have read regarding compass issues causing crashes/flyaways.
You'll read all kinds of confused misinformation about "flyaways" and compass issues.
Your description and DJI's notes contain some of the features which are common to yaw errors which are caused at powering up the drone, not flying close to something.

The GPS location at some time became accurate since that is how I found the crashed drone
I'm not sure why you might expect the drone's position to be inaccurate anyway.

Without the complete log it probably won't be possible to distinguish between a compass issue exacerbated by the tower structure and an issue with the signals from the tower antenna hardware.
At 20+ feet from the tower, there won't be any compass issue and if there was, moving away from the tower, the issue would go away.
If DJI detected something they attributed to a compass issue, that doesn't necessarily mean it was related to anything to do with the tower.

Given the number of flyers who fly cell towers professionally, and the lack of documented cases of cell towers causing issues, it seems very unlikely that your issue was tower related.
Without recorded flight data, there's no evidence to indicate that the tower or its equipment caused any problem.

2023-3-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MikeBNA Posted at 3-6 13:34
yes, thank you I  received the crash analysis information that was requested.

Thanks for the confirmation. If you have any inquiries about the analysis result, you can tell us or reply to the email directly. If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know.
2023-3-7
Use props
MikeBNA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11692474 ft
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 3-6 18:29
My two cents worth, I have flown around many cell towers within 20 feet.   My Phantom 4 had  no problems.

Yeah I have the same experience. Phantom 4 seems to be pretty solid compared to the Mavic 2 Pro.
2023-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules