Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-5 11:46
I owned all 3 minis, again Ill repeat I nor anyone else here has seen this what now sounds like a phenomenon that the Mini 2 has much more range than the Mini 3. Usually this would be posted here and if not here YT. But all videos I’ve seen on YT show almost identical range urban but less for Mini 3 rural . But Im sure if its a thing we will see it posted soon.

I'm sorry, there ate plenty more people than me on this forum stating exactly the same issues.  Its probably the number one subject in this sub section, no matter how much the DJI-can-do-no-wrong group of people try to dismiss is...   ...many of whom haven't even received theirs yet, which is even more frustrating how they seem to guarantee there is no issue despite never flown one.
2022-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TheBoy Posted at 6-6 09:41
I'm sorry, there ate plenty more people than me on this forum stating exactly the same issues.  Its probably the number one subject in this sub section, no matter how much the DJI-can-do-no-wrong group of people try to dismiss is...   ...many of whom haven't even received theirs yet, which is even more frustrating how they seem to guarantee there is no issue despite never flown one.

Nobody is dismissing anything, but this subject is constantly being thrown up but as I said not a single post has shown what it is you are saying to be the case. So go figure if you drone is broken or has problems then its simple use your warranty.
2022-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheBoy Posted at 6-5 11:24
I've told you many times I have had frequent disconnections at less than 350m, but never, ever, ever have had that on the Mini 2.

I own a Mini 3. I have it on the bench right here.  Yours turned up yet?

How about just doing a screening recording the next time youre out, also have the Radar showing in the bottom left, please?
2022-6-6
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-6 14:27
Nobody is dismissing anything, but this subject is constantly being thrown up but as I said not a single post has shown what it is you are saying to be the case. So go figure if you drone is broken or has problems then its simple use your warranty.

So, if mine is faulty, then it seems the majority of Mini 3 owners here also have a faulty one.

Really? Grow up.
2022-6-7
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-6 19:05
How about just doing a screening recording the next time youre out, also have the Radar showing in the bottom left, please?

If you're thinking about the controller pointing the right way, I've been doing this a long time.

As it happens, the compass on the DJI RC is pretty unreliable, so never expect the controller orientation on the radar map to be pointing the right way.

If the weather allows, I'll try to get a comparison between the Mini 2 which never disconnects if VLOS or the Mini 3 which is less consistent (sometimes its good as gold, other times it will suddenly go to 1 red bar, the feed will freeze (though often telemetry is still working), or just completely disconnect and start its RTH)
2022-6-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheBoy Posted at 6-7 12:34
If you're thinking about the controller pointing the right way, I've been doing this a long time.

As it happens, the compass on the DJI RC is pretty unreliable, so never expect the controller orientation on the radar map to be pointing the right way.

Even though the RC indicator does not always point where it should on that controller, the arrow on that indicator will still turn green when there's good alignment, just an FYI

Also, I'm not just on about  on the horizontal plain, even more so vertically because there is no helpful indicator for that. From what i can gather, the Mini 3 Pro is very sensitive to alignment, so even though the screen is probably at a nice viewing angle of what 45º 'ish, that means the antennas are pointing into space, if the drone is say 1km at say 400ft (120m) high, the angle of the RC needs to be lower than that comfortable viewing angle, and if the sun is out, your instincts will be  to raise that angle more.

Just remember, from your position on the ground, the horizon is less that 5km away, that would mean that if the drone was 4km away, you would be pointing that RC so that the screen is pretty much flat, if there are structures, trees, hills etc along your flightpath then at that will scupper the signals LOS. This is how sensitive that this mini 3 is.

Just food for thought is all, I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, just that this time it seems to be more precise between RC and drone.
2022-6-7
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I have done 14 flights with Mini 3 already and about the range it's Very much affected by Any obstacle, especially trees - I lost connection yesterday on 200 m. from home in the forest and went Very far on top of the mountain - this Inconsistency I see for the first time and M3 is sooooooooo much better in this
2022-6-7
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

An interesting video regarding the range issue

2022-6-7
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-7 19:37
Even though the RC indicator does not always point where it should on that controller, the arrow on that indicator will still turn green when there's good alignment, just an FYI  

Also, I'm not just on about  on the horizontal plain, even more so vertically because there is no helpful indicator for that. From what i can gather, the Mini 3 Pro is very sensitive to alignment, so even though the screen is probably at a nice viewing angle of what 45º 'ish, that means the antennas are pointing into space, if the drone is say 1km at say 400ft (120m) high, the angle of the RC needs to be lower than that comfortable viewing angle, and if the sun is out, your instincts will be  to raise that angle more.

All good points - I'm used to being careful with antenna orientation, most of my RC aerial vehicles are self builds, where we often fight against stuff thats not a patch on Occusync.

I'm not sure my indicator ever changes colour unless the compass is working and calibrated well (something else to check when I can next get it in the air).  Though in that plane, as I'm looking at the aircraft, I'd naturally point towards it.  In the vertical plane, yes, that needs discipline from inexperienced flyers.
2022-6-8
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-7 21:27
An interesting video regarding the range issue

I saw that earlier, and on his poll, approximately 50% are reporting issues.  Which rules out a faulty aircraft as repeatedly suggested by the DJI-can-do-no-wrong gang who ruin these forums.
2022-6-8
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77211 ft
Canada

I don't think it reflects the reality. I watch on YouTube so many videos about the range of mini 3 pro  and is inferior to RC N1! It seems that DJI is not allowing the bloggers who have got the first Mini 3 pro to publish anything about the signal strength and range...very sad to see a newer device with a worse performance costing the double of mini 2.
2022-6-8
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 5-28 02:02
Was that from a boat in the middle of the sea?

I think you're 200% right.
2022-6-8
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

alex_markov Posted at 6-1 07:54
Today I went on the mountain with Mini 3 and M3 and 700 m away Mini 3 lost connection and RTH - M3, on the other hand, had no issues at all going the same way  - I was with RC-N1

People are posting videos on YouTube and actually RC n1 has a stronger signal and a longer range than the new smart controller.
2022-6-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Serg26 Posted at 6-8 09:51
I don't think it reflects the reality. I watch on YouTube so many videos about the range of mini 3 pro  and is inferior to RC N1! It seems that DJI is not allowing the bloggers who have got the first Mini 3 pro to publish anything about the signal strength and range...very sad to see a newer device with a worse performance costing the double of mini 2.

perhaps but i know a few youtubers who don't take orders from dji so that's cannot be all true.  if anything, i believe there are some who will not allow a perfectly good drone to be destroyed by the yet unsubstantiated claims of a few as was apparently done with the mavic 3; this could be the thinking....right or wrong.
2022-6-8
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

The Saint Posted at 6-8 10:03
perhaps but i know a few youtubers who don't take orders from dji so that's cannot be all true.  if anything, i believe there are some who will not allow a perfectly good drone to be destroyed by the yet unsubstantiated claims of a few as was apparently done with the mavic 3; this could be the thinking....right or wrong.

I hate arguing but is a not about a few people... there are a majority confirming the weaker signal and a shorter range. Probably an update could fix the issue, but so far I'm a bit discouraged. Thinking to change the order and replace the new smart controller with the previous RC N1.
2022-6-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Serg26 Posted at 6-8 10:13
I hate arguing but is a not about a few people... there are a majority confirming the weaker signal and a shorter range. Probably an update could fix the issue, but so far I'm a bit discouraged. Thinking to change the order and replace the new smart controller with the previous RC N1.

you might be right, something wrong is probably going on.  i don't think the fcc us versions have an issue but im pretty sure dji is not silencing yters.
2022-6-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheBoy Posted at 6-8 05:01
All good points - I'm used to being careful with antenna orientation, most of my RC aerial vehicles are self builds, where we often fight against stuff thats not a patch on Occusync.

I'm not sure my indicator ever changes colour unless the compass is working and calibrated well (something else to check when I can next get it in the air).  Though in that plane, as I'm looking at the aircraft, I'd naturally point towards it.  In the vertical plane, yes, that needs discipline from inexperienced flyers.

I'm not sure my indicator ever changes colour unless the compass is working and calibrated well (something else to check when I can next get it in the air).  

You will be surprised, but do make sure its calibrated, and even after when it appears to be around 90º off from the drone, you should see the tiny arrow on the indicator change to green when within about 1 or 2%, at a guess, either side of perfect alignment. that's what i have seen ut granted it was on only the one video,  I will try to find it for you if needed, i think i know who did it.

One other thing, best not to be in your car or leaning against it, same with iron railings etc, this all messes with the compass in the RC or Phone/tablets i have seen the RC indicator shows much as up to 90º off on my phone when under my tailgate, not in the car or leaning, just stood under the canopy of the tailgate (Volvo V70).
2022-6-8
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Serg26 Posted at 6-8 09:58
People are posting videos on YouTube and actually RC n1 has a stronger signal and a longer range than the new smart controller.

I can't compare as I have no rc, but wit N1 it's a mixed bag, in ideal condition despitet constant complayns for weak signal it goes and goes and might be the battery will be the limit, but in case of any obstacle - tree, bush... It Rth
2022-6-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Serg26 Posted at 6-8 09:55
I think you're 200% right.

cheers Serg26.  
2022-6-8
Use props
MXss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I just did a range test with the mini 2 using rc n1 and mini 3 using RC. You will just have to believe me when I say the mini 2 had no issues at all in urban areas at 2km+ . The mini 3 on the other hand, same area range test, barely made it to 1.8km and the signal was always on the verge of getting lost and bars jumping up and down, depending on the orientation of the RC. I guarantee there is a range or signal issue with this drone and RC. Please people, call or chat with dji support and let them know if you are having issues with signal from their RC. Unless mine is defective, its a poor design choice or a deliberate limitation.
2022-6-8
Use props
Bruka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19862 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I've had 2 units Mini 3 pro with the new RC. Range and connectivity is definitely a lot weaker using the RC. It's a shame DJI decided on internal antennas rather than something extendable like on the simpler RC-N1 (which consistently gives better range and stronger signal (in EU)
2022-6-9
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

MXss Posted at 6-8 22:52
I just did a range test with the mini 2 using rc n1 and mini 3 using RC. You will just have to believe me when I say the mini 2 had no issues at all in urban areas at 2km+ . The mini 3 on the other hand, same area range test, barely made it to 1.8km and the signal was always on the verge of getting lost and bars jumping up and down, depending on the orientation of the RC. I guarantee there is a range or signal issue with this drone and RC. Please people, call or chat with dji support and let them know if you are having issues with signal from their RC. Unless mine is defective, its a poor design choice or a deliberate limitation.

I don't think is defective. DJI missed something... Internal antenna always has limitations and any additional extension to any radio device will have a better signal. And in this case RC N1 has little extension that will reveal the difference in signal strength.
So DJI, if you read this please recall all the new smart controllers and do a better job. For such a price  I'm sure DJI can honor it's commitments.
2022-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Serg26 Posted at 6-9 07:51
I don't think is defective. DJI missed something... Internal antenna always has limitations and any additional extension to any radio device will have a better signal. And in this case RC N1 has little extension that will reveal the difference in signal strength.
So DJI, if you read this please recall all the new smart controllers and do a better job. For such a price  I'm sure DJI can honor it's commitments.

I have both controllers and there is no difference between RC N1 and dji RC and I think if so many are seeing this they should post because I have only seen tests showing little or no difference between both these craft. I’m not saying there is or is not a problem but could someone who can show real difference between both these craft flying in the same area please post the test.
2022-6-9
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 6-9 08:00
I have both controllers and there is no difference between RC N1 and dji RC and I think if so many are seeing this they should post because I have only seen tests showing little or no difference between both these craft. I’m not saying there is or is not a problem but could someone who can show real difference between both these craft flying in the same area please post the test.

Just type in YouTube dji rc range test and see how many reviews there are. Here's just one of them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMy15dysbw

2022-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Serg26 Posted at 6-9 08:40
Just type in YouTube dji rc range test and see how many reviews there are. Here's just one of them.

Again thats typical. That video shows nothing of a comparison with Mini 2 whatsoever. And all YT videos that I can find only show comparisons to be almost exactly the same. So ill ask you last time please post the video that clearly shows that mini2 is far superior to mini 3.

I'm sure its out there but I can't find it...
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_XAABPC6GIOUk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161073 ft
United States

new video landed.  10KM range in City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIkk9foS0as&t=769s
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_9P9tMURJDdSg
lvl.1

Germany

I ordered the drone two weeks ago. After reading all these posts and watching videos, I am very concerned about the range.
Should I cancel my order?
2022-6-9
Use props
Serg26
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_XAABPC6GIOUk Posted at 6-9 09:37
new video landed.  10KM range in City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIkk9foS0as&t=769s

10.000 Ft not not equals 10 km.
Yet, probably there is something with some processors. Ones are not good for 300m in country side ant the others are quite good in city.Almost half of all the users are complaining about the range and signal strength! Is absolutelly not convicing one video of 3km and less for many others.
Over the ocean and no interference it can do maybe, and yet not all. For sure a bad batch of processors are put on the line of production.
2022-6-9
Use props
nik317
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11261506 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

i think its not from a mini3 pro or does the mini3 fly with the flyapp version 1.6.1??? i dont think....
2022-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nik317 Posted at 6-9 11:31
i think its not from a mini3 pro or does the mini3 fly with the flyapp version 1.6.1??? i dont think....

1.6.1 is the app version for mini 3
2022-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Serg26 Posted at 6-9 11:24
10.000 Ft not not equals 10 km.
Yet, probably there is something with some processors. Ones are not good for 300m in country side ant the others are quite good in city.Almost half of all the users are complaining about the range and signal strength! Is absolutelly not convicing one video of 3km and less for many others.
Over the ocean and no interference it can do maybe, and yet not all. For sure a bad batch of processors are put on the line of production.

I take it you haven’t found a comparison video that shows Mini 2 significantly out preforming the mini 3 pro.
If there is a problem with Mini 3 pro signal dji are not admitting it, but thats not to say it isn't there. Dji have a habit of fixing stuff but never telling you what they fixed.
2022-6-9
Use props
AuroraFource
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111047 ft
United States

I am really disappointed in the range of the mini 3. I live on a wide open lake no buildings and I can't even get 2000 ft before is disconnects. I'm really thinking about returning this thing. It's terrible and don't get me started on the gimbal cover...
2022-6-9
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

AuroraFource Posted at 6-9 16:36
I am really disappointed in the range of the mini 3. I live on a wide open lake no buildings and I can't even get 2000 ft before is disconnects. I'm really thinking about returning this thing. It's terrible and don't get me started on the gimbal cover...

Some posters have said if you leave the foam in behind the gimbal cover it's easy to put on?
2022-6-9
Use props
HEX 5555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 146644 ft
United Kingdom

This must be a old topic as clearly an update has messed up the range, go onto YouTube see the amount of videos popping up and read the comments.
2022-6-10
Use props
HEX 5555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 146644 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-5 11:46
I owned all 3 minis, again Ill repeat I nor anyone else here has seen this what now sounds like a phenomenon that the Mini 2 has much more range than the Mini 3. Usually this would be posted here and if not here YT. But all videos I’ve seen on YT show almost identical range urban but less for Mini 3 rural . But Im sure if its a thing we will see it posted soon.

WOW must not be looking hard enough i have 3 videos complaining about it just on my YouTube home page and that's with out searching!

this is one of them read the comments so many people with the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMy15dysbw&t=407s
You need to search for the videos made in the last couple of days as this has only seemed to happen since that little update we had.
2022-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HEX 5555 Posted at 6-10 04:04
WOW must not be looking hard enough i have 3 videos complaining about it just on my YouTube home page and that's with out searching!

this is one of them read the comments so many people with the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMy15dysbw&t=407s

Again before you comment read what I wrote. Now maybe you will be the first to show us here or on YT a test showing the Mini 2 having a superior signal to Mini 3 pro. There are plenty of videos showing no difference in signal between both of them. So maybe you’ll post something that shows this.
2022-6-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Suren Posted at 5-28 13:54
I have seen alot of those and although the post above is not mine I did get exceptional range on my Mini 3 and I am not complaining about it. For this tiny drone to do what it is doing is great.

There is another long range video that shows 13 klm out and 13 klm back using the larger battery.

He only just makes it home. Mine is scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 14th of June.

2022-6-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This just begs a question seen as 26km total is over spec at 25km with the Plus battery, 13km is over transmission spec at 12km, how many recent DJI drones manage over spec? Not only that but their alignment whilst good, it wasn't great and certainly not for that sort of distance, i don't know, without seeing video with the RC and Drone too, its hard to believe that sommat iffy isn't going, for example, a modded antenna, btw, they are using the N1 rc.
2022-6-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of this discussion of the Mini3P is moot. It's a too small drone to be used for surveillance and that is the game right now. Of course it does well and it's much bigger brother can't. That is by design. That should change in the months to follow...one way or the other.
2022-6-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Serg26 Posted at 6-9 07:51

It is not called a Smart controller. If you are going to keep banging on even though you don’t have the drone at least get the name right
2022-6-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules