Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Newbie Looking for Some Advice
519 5 2022-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb68ac915
lvl.2

United States

I recently bought the Mini 2. It seemed like it was a good beginner drone. It's been great

the big drawback is how my phone is nearly unreadable in the sunlight. And with summer coming on and planning on spending a lot of time in the high desert of eastern Oregon, having to contort myself just to make out what's happening on my phone is irritating. I've ordered a sun shade which I imagine will help, a little

so if anybody has an opinion on what I'm thinking, please chime in:

I'm also already considering a higher level 2nd drone than the Mini 2

I am thinking that the Mini 3 is probably too similar to the Mini 2. Besides that, the 700 nits Mini 3 RC doesn't work with the Mini 2. But the RC smart controller with the Air 2s package works with the Mini 2, and it is 1000 nits instead of 700 nits. That Smart Controller would go a long way toward mitigating my sunlight issue with my phone on the Mini 2. But buying a 'new' one is in the 900-100 dollar range

But, the Smart Controller is a discontinued product for DJI. And at this point, that leaves the RC Pro as the 'flagship' controller; the only screened controller from DJI. It's compatible with the Air 2s but not with the Mini 2. And the most pressing issue for me is to have a controller screen I can see well enough when I'm out in the sunlight.

I don't really want to have both the Smart and RC Pro as controllers. If I have the Air 2S and the Mini 2 the Smart Controller works. But would I be correct in assuming there will be no firmware or software updates for it in the future? Would I also be correct in assuming that DJI very well may start offering the RC Pro with the Air 2S fly more package once they have emptied their inventory of Smart Controllers? Would I also be correct in assuming that DJI might not ever make the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 2? Long wait then

would I be better off just buying the TripleTek 8" tablet (with lanyard) and dealing with the awkward configuration and weight of a 1.3 pound tablet on sunny days?

is there a solution to the sunlight issue I'm missing?

sorry for the long first post

2022-5-28
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

In you current situation, your best bet would be the TriplTek 8. It is a great unit and it is not as unwieldy as you might suspect. Get the printed bracket from them, it works very well. I believe they even updated it and now has better balance.

Your assumptions in your post are all probably correct, especially regarding the Mini 2. The RC Pro is a fantastic controller and much refined from the original SC. However, not having an aircraft compatible with it would be an issue.

You truly won't be disappointed with the TriplTek 8. The nice thing is that it has so many other uses and the battery lasts FOREVER!

For a few bucks you could try a sun-shade for your phone, but I wouldn't waste my money that way.
2022-5-30
Use props
fansb68ac915
lvl.2

United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-30 02:55
In you current situation, your best bet would be the TriplTek 8. It is a great unit and it is not as unwieldy as you might suspect. Get the printed bracket from them, it works very well. I believe they even updated it and now has better balance.

Your assumptions in your post are all probably correct, especially regarding the Mini 2. The RC Pro is a fantastic controller and much refined from the original SC. However, not having an aircraft compatible with it would be an issue.

thanks for the reply KLRSKIR

I found it reassuring since I had already pulled the trigger and bought the TripleTek 8. That it is a high performance Android tablet is a bonus. Of course, you do pay for that performance. $800 is a pretty steep price

finding a suitable bracket is a bit of a challenge. I want one that installs/uninstalls easily and does not have a big footprints or multiple moving parts. The ones at TriplTek are pretty expensive. I also want a lanyard setup that has a single strap attaching to the controller so it doesn't interfere with the toggles. They do have one at TriplTek but it's all plastic. Still it might work and is under $30

thanks again for the feedback
2022-5-30
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome.

I use the older version of this mount. Apparently they redesigned the top piece to provide better balance. It's a very solid mount.
2022-5-31
Use props
fansb68ac915
lvl.2

United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-31 02:48
You're very welcome.

I use the older version of this mount. Apparently they redesigned the top piece to provide better balance. It's a very solid mount.

yeah....I have been looking at that mount and it looks simple and basic. My one concern would be the tablet sliding out thru one side or another. How secure is the tablet with that mount?

2022-5-31
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It's a very secure fit. They got it right.
2022-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules