Colour artefacts in all pictures only made worse by 48MP mode!
4094 39 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Live My Journey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi DJI employees.
Are you aware of the glaring issue with random colour artifacts appearing in all photos in fine details, ecpecialy where contrast is seen. To my eye this looks like extreme case of chromatic aberration and fringing that has been very poorly corrected by the camera itself. Same thing is made much worse by whole clusters of colours that don't belong appearing in the 48MP. It looks like the same thing as above pluses a badly executed debayering of the image. Please tell my that you know about this issue and you are working to fix it. Atm the camera is only good for minimal social media use without any cropping into the image.
2022-5-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The 12MP seems fine - the artefacts all seem to be just chromatic aberration that is easily fixable in post.

The 48MP has much more severe issues where you get actual colour shifts which isn't an easy fix in post.

Repeatable example i get are white lines on roads tend to go purple.  Bright high contrast edges seem to suffer most.

Yes it looks like poor debayering (might explain the 48mp lack of sharpness too).  The 12mp though is perfectly good enough for images and for sale images.

For comparison the 12mp image of the same area, same time:

2022-5-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thing is I have never seen such an ammount of chromatic aberration in any modern camera. While it's quite easily for the photo editor clean up the usual place where it occurred like straight lines between contrast areas sometimes there are while clumps of multiple colours around finer details. That is much harder to fix and it should have never been there in the first place.
2022-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Live My Journey Posted at 5-29 01:30
Thing is I have never seen such an ammount of chromatic aberration in any modern camera. While it's quite easily for the photo editor clean up the usual place where it occurred like straight lines between contrast areas sometimes there are while clumps of multiple colours around finer details. That is much harder to fix and it should have never been there in the first place.

I agree, its much larger than what you’d normally see, easy to spot and easy to fix. I have also seen it randomly with 12mp . I’m sure this can be tamed in SW FW updates.
2022-5-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-29 15:52
I agree, its much larger than what you’d normally see, easy to spot and easy to fix. I have also seen it randomly with 12mp . I’m sure this can be tamed in SW FW updates.

What is the best way to edit it out?
2022-5-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

This isn't Chromatic Aberration as we'd normally understand it (or as software knows how to fix).
It looks more like issues in the de-bayer process causing it.  Much harder to remove.  Its not present in the 12mp (what we see there is traditional CA) hence it almost certainly being related to the quad bayer.
2022-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 5-29 15:55
What is the best way to edit it out?

I use PS and there is auto removal which usually clears it all out, if it doesn’t get it all there is also a manual option for purple and also green. It normally 100% effective.
2022-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 5-29 15:55
This isn't Chromatic Aberration as we'd normally understand it (or as software knows how to fix).
It looks more like issues in the de-bayer process causing it.  Much harder to remove.  Its not present in the 12mp (what we see there is traditional CA) hence it almost certainly being related to the quad bayer.

It is also in 12mp these large purple strips I will post one tomorrow if I get a chance
2022-5-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-29 16:29
I use PS and there is auto removal which usually clears it all out, if it doesn’t get it all there is also a manual option for purple and also green. It normally 100% effective.

Cheers is that using CA removal?
2022-5-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 5-29 01:15
The 12MP seems fine - the artefacts all seem to be just chromatic aberration that is easily fixable in post.

The 48MP has much more severe issues where you get actual colour shifts which isn't an easy fix in post.

Doesn't look like chromatic aberration.  

No problem with white lines in moderate contrast areas.  Appears, internal Imagine processing is attempting to fix white stripes in only high contrast areas when it shouldn't.
2022-5-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Live My Journey. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward this matter to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-5-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-29 18:46
Hello there Live My Journey. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward this matter to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.

Much appreciated!
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 5-29 16:49
Cheers is that using CA removal?

Yes, there is an auto as well as a manual it auto doesn’t pick it up.
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 02:23
Yes, there is an auto as well as a manual it auto doesn’t pick it up.

Awesome thanks, I see that in Affinity Photo too. Cheers
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 5-30 03:36
Awesome thanks, I see that in Affinity Photo too. Cheers

I might later on in the week send you on some raw and high res images to stitch. Im not near my drone for a couple of days but will get around to it later. Do I send to address you gave me before?
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 03:39
I might later on in the week send you on some raw and high res images to stitch. Im not near my drone for a couple of days but will get around to it later. Do I send to address you gave me before?

That would be great thanks! One of the features of the Mini 3 Pro I really want to get right. Was quiet impressed with Panorama Studio 3 seems to be able to do stitches PTGUI can't and quite a bit cheaper.
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_q04rqv6LCx4o
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1361499 ft
Germany

I have also some color artifacts in my 12MP pictures!! PLEASE @DJI give us (or ADOBE) the profile for RAWs to eleminate this problem... THX!!
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here’s a 12mp photo it also shows up in.

Second photo was taken seconds before just moved back slightly but everything the same, just slight change in exposure, but NO PURPLE lines. 560867F1-3D49-4A57-B083-BC683CD912DD.jpeg
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_q04rqv6LCx4o Posted at 5-30 09:30
I have also some color artifacts in my 12MP pictures!! PLEASE @DJI give us (or ADOBE) the profile for RAWs to eleminate this problem... THX!!

There is no profile, corrections are built into the DNG files of dji cameras, but when I went to edit in PS/LR I got a message that profile was not detected , so its not certain that DJI have sorted this yet and if they can fix this element on their DNG files. It is removable with manual CA if Auto does not remove all of it.
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

In this 12MP vs 48MP test those colour artifacts are really obvious in 48MP mode but not so much in 12MP. I was amazed at the massive difference in noise between the two and this is shown in the images at the start of the thread.

2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 5-30 12:23
In this 12MP vs 48MP test those colour artifacts are really obvious in 48MP mode but not so much in 12MP. I was amazed at the massive difference in noise between the two and this is shown in the images at the start of the thread.

12MP vs 48MP comparison

He says the artefacts show up in 12mp not 48mm, noise in the 48mp.
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 12:37

Yes sorry you are right there were actually two different types of weird noise responses, the red circles is some random 12MP noise but I think the weird Bayer sensor artifacts we are seeing in images is more about what's circled in Blue? That seemed more prevalent in the 48MP.

Also I was really interested in the "torture" test where the 48MP in low ISO seemed to trounce 12MP in detail which is counter to what everybody says about 48MP images and detail as it suggests for best detail use 48MP in the lower ISO's..

be interested to hear your take on that? Cheers
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

gnirtS Posted at 5-29 01:15

Do you know what ISO these were taken at?
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 5-30 13:29
Yes sorry you are right there were actually two different types of weird noise responses, the red circles is some random 12MP noise but I think the weird Bayer sensor artifacts we are seeing in images is more about what's circled in Blue? That seemed more prevalent in the 48MP.
[view_image]

Im hoping to get out tomorrow for awhile I will shoot a couple in 48mp and see how it goes. Looks like depending on the light you have a couple of really good options , but we shall see in the real world.
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 14:05
Im hoping to get out tomorrow for awhile I will shoot a couple in 48mp and see how it goes. Looks like depending on the light you have a couple of really good options , but we shall see in the real world.

Not having the drone yet (should be after 7th June) I'm getting a feeling best settings are going to be..

Daylight good light   48MP  100 ISO

Low light  12MP  at ISO you need to get to get job done.

Really want Pilot Institute to run that torture test on the Mavic 3 as they said to date the Mini 3 Pro has produced the best definition in that 48MP 100 ISO mode for any drone they have tested.  They are also planning to have a database of all drones using that test platform as a standard so you can compare, should be quite useful.

I have also heard somewhere that a Firmware change after they completed those tests may have changed the dynamics. I emailed Pilot Institute and they said they might redo, so have been keeping an eye out for that.

Look forward to seeing your results.
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

Live My Journey Posted at 5-30 01:20
Much appreciated!

I thought dji Stephen was going to say try another location, or something ridiculous. Dji need to get things sorted.
2022-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bussty Posted at 5-30 13:29
[view_image]

"which is counter to what everybody says about 48MP images "

48MP should be better than 12MP images when it comes to detail.  
Issue is whether lens is up to detail of 48MP sensor without lens showing it's limitations.  Instead of fine details (eye lashes or distant wire) being sharp or defined, the details are soft or lost.

2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-30 20:08
"which is counter to what everybody says about 48MP images "

48MP should be better than 12MP images when it comes to detail.  

Totally agree with that. From what I have seen Mini 3 appears considerably more detailed in that 48MP mode and that video proves it really so lens must be OK (in centre at least) but I have seen more than a few Forum members say that's not the case but can only go by what I am seeing.
2022-5-30
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 10:29
Here’s a 12mp photo it also shows up in.

[view_image]Second photo was taken seconds before just moved back slightly but everything the same, just slight change in exposure, but NO PURPLE lines.[view_image]

Nice photos, David....are made by you?
Nice contrast and scenery
2022-5-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Bussty Posted at 5-30 12:23

12MP vs 48MP comparison

Good video, thanks. Sounds like if its under ISO 800, use the 48mp, or is it not as cut and dry as they make it sound?
2022-5-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Bashy Posted at 5-30 23:39
Good video, thanks. Sounds like if its under ISO 800, use the 48mp, or is it not as cut and dry as they make it sound?

Hey Bashy

I'm not sure as Mini 3 pro hasn't arrived here yet so will test fully then but based on that video yes I agree with that. There was a firmware update since then and some of the fringing I have seen "appears" worse now on the 48MP images so DJI may have tweaked image processing to the detriment of the 48MP mode but won't know until can test myself. But looking forward to hopefully that improved detail the 48MP mode offers as shown in that video quite convincingly. Given the 1.7 aperture I can see myself locking the drone into 100 ISO and 48MP in normal daylight conditions.  
The other thing is as the pixel size is a quarter of 12MP mode it has less dynamic range so a bracket may be helpful too to merge exposures as really well explained here...

2022-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Live My Journey. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day. .
2022-5-31
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 12:37

On every 48MP photo I have taken upon cropping I can see blotches of colour that don't belong they are usually 8 pixels across or slightly more. It's definitely a calculation error in the process of figuring out a colour for each pixel and removing the colour filter overlay. Air 2 was using a similar type filter and technique but had no artefacts if this kind.
2022-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Live My Journey Posted at 5-31 22:58
On every 48MP photo I have taken upon cropping I can see blotches of colour that don't belong they are usually 8 pixels across or slightly more. It's definitely a calculation error in the process of figuring out a colour for each pixel and removing the colour filter overlay. Air 2 was using a similar type filter and technique but had no artefacts if this kind.

I have seen similar but in some photos I dont see it at all. Below 48mp taken yesterday. No CA applied.

2022-6-1
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

I have tested and can confirm the 48MP makes the purple stuff come out more. I bet this can be improved via firmware/software update.
2022-6-2
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-1 08:31
I have seen similar but in some photos I dont see it at all. Below 48mp taken yesterday. No CA applied.

[view_image]

Hi Hallmark are you able to post a high res link for this image as DJI image bot really knocks the resolution down. Are you seeing more a detailed result in the 48MP?  If you ever feel inclined to send up the Mavic 3 and capture a 20MP then send up the Mini 3 Pro and capture a 12MP and 48MP of same scene would be fascinated to see...
2022-6-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-2 15:13
Hi Hallmark are you able to post a high res link for this image as DJI image bot really knocks the resolution down. Are you seeing more a detailed result in the 48MP?  If you ever feel inclined to send up the Mavic 3 and capture a 20MP then send up the Mini 3 Pro and capture a 12MP and 48MP of same scene would be fascinated to see...

Finding 48mp pretty good certainly more detail in good light V the 12mp. I have a few I will send the Raw images in the next couple of days. I can tell you there is a big difference in the 20mp than the 48/12mp particularly under low light even against the 1.7 on the mini 3
2022-6-2
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-2 15:24
Finding 48mp pretty good certainly more detail in good light V the 12mp. I have a few I will send the Raw images in the next couple of days. I can tell you there is a big difference in the 20mp than the 48/12mp particularly under low light even against the 1.7 on the mini 3

Thanks for the the update and offer, good to know. Cheers
2022-6-2
Use props
bgreenstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 709495 ft
  • >>>
United States

I Just got my Mini 3 yesterday, and while overall I'm happy with it (had a Mavic Pro Platitum previously), but there are some things that really bother me.  One of the top things is this issue with the random purple & green color blobs all over every photo.  If I zoom in on any photo, 12MP or 48MP I get stuff like this:

mini3colorartefacts.jpg

Absolutely horrible image quality, and has been noted earlier in this thread it's not chromatic abberation.  Looks like something from a prototype camera, not a production release camera.  Many of these artifacts are visible in the 1x scale version, not only when zoomed in.  I wonder if DJI can do anything in firmware to deal with this.
2022-7-31
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Other people has found a bad image quality with the camera of this drone. I am mainly a photographer and I did check the image quality with photos taken with my old Mini 2 and Magic 2 Pro …. The difference is terrible. The camera of this drone looks like if it has a wrong group of lenses/lense  or descentre. Conform the image goes from center to the borders, the blurry
, the aberration and/or chromatic aberrations and the tilt of the vertical lines to the frame side lateral borders increase.

Tomorrow my Mini 3 Pro goes to DJI Service. Got a RMA.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268650
2022-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules