10365 88 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
Flight distance : 476496 ft
United Kingdom

simistef Posted at 6-7 06:26
do you happen to have the conditions during the flight? I am using Airdata and this is what it was like. 70% humidity, and some of a difference between temperature and dew point. [view_image]

I don't, but humidity at 14.00 (3 hours after the flight) was 59%.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FloridaNext Posted at 5-29 11:56
Not DJI but there was the same problem with the first batch of FIMI A3 drones. Later they sealed the lens and the camera case and everything was ok.

You should return it for a replacement or refund!!!

I think that's the problem - the moisture isn't sealed in, it's not sealed out well enough.
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-7 04:12
That looks like something that needs returning.

It is being returned. UPS collection tomorrow, for repair or replace under the standard guarantee
2022-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Manich Posted at 6-7 14:11
It is being returned. UPS collection tomorrow, for repair or replace under the standard guarantee

Hopefully you get it back soon and working.
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-7 04:35
Could it be that the moisture isn't trapped inside the unit, but that the unit isn't sealed properly and moisture is getting in, then getting out when it's evaporated.

Im not sure. Any moisture getting into the camera housing would be the same temp as the air outside, so unlikely to fog as its equal both in and out......but, a sealed unit with moisture in it, well, the moisture would be the internal temp and would condense on the inside of the lens element when its colder outside. Any moisture could also be heated by the sensor when its being used, thereby causing it to condense on the inside of the element. Its already well known that DJI have identified the cause of this problem, so they should just fess up and tell us what actually causes it rather than have us take pot luck and risk having to send something back that we have just paid good money for.
I dont work due to a number of health issues, so money is always in short supply. And this? Im paying for this on finance for the next 2 years, and its the first thing Ive bought new in around 20 years......and this is what happens. I buy faulty, sub standard and have to send it back within weeks.
I like DJI. Theyre the Apple of the drone world, but this, well this is just downright disappointing, especially when theyre aware of the problem.
Profits before recall? Investors interests before the consumer?
Thats pretty low in my books.
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

simistef Posted at 6-7 04:18
I think i might have captured this while flying. I only saw this back home when browsing trough videos. Didn't look on location to see the lens if was blurred or not.
Lens fogging while in flight video

Yup. It happens just as quickly as that. Its beyond annoying.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-7 14:21
Im not sure. Any moisture getting into the camera housing would be the same temp as the air outside, so unlikely to fog as its equal both in and out......but, a sealed unit with moisture in it, well, the moisture would be the internal temp and would condense on the inside of the lens element when its colder outside. Any moisture could also be heated by the sensor when its being used, thereby causing it to condense on the inside of the element. Its already well known that DJI have identified the cause of this problem, so they should just fess up and tell us what actually causes it rather than have us take pot luck and risk having to send something back that we have just paid good money for.
I dont work due to a number of health issues, so money is always in short supply. And this? Im paying for this on finance for the next 2 years, and its the first thing Ive bought new in around 20 years......and this is what happens. I buy faulty, sub standard and have to send it back within weeks.
I like DJI. Theyre the Apple of the drone world, but this, well this is just downright disappointing, especially when theyre aware of the problem.

I've thought about it, and I think you're right - it must be trapped inside the lens. Mine will be going back, but I don't want to risk sending it away before I go to Scotland (unless they promise to send a replacement straight away...), I'll take a chance with it.
Incidentally, it's not just DJI that gets it wrong - Olympus's successor OMD is having problems with all sorts of faults on the new OM1.
2022-6-8
Use props
Swoop999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 813419 ft
Isle of Man

This issue has really knocked my consumer confidence and I will certainly not buy one until all these niggles have been ironed out by DJI, just as a matter of interest, have the other range of mini 2 had teething issues like this?
2022-6-8
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-8 00:36
I've thought about it, and I think you're right - it must be trapped inside the lens. Mine will be going back, but I don't want to risk sending it away before I go to Scotland (unless they promise to send a replacement straight away...), I'll take a chance with it.
Incidentally, it's not just DJI that gets it wrong - Olympus's successor OMD is having problems with all sorts of faults on the new OM1.

I was into my photography years ago and was a Canon user for 20+ years. Olympus have never really managed to bring anything to market that was noteworthy. Theyve always seemed, to me at least, a bit clunky and quite buggy at times. It was actually drones that made me take the jump from DSLR photography. I built myself a DJI F450 with a Go Pro on a remote gimbal, followed by a DJI F550, again with a Go Pro, then around 5 or 6 years ago I bought the Phantom 4 Pro. I still have that now and its never had any problems with it, except a prop shearing off at 30ft and me dropping it once. Only reason Im keeping it for now is the fact I can fly it with other apps, like Litchi, and it has waypoints. If, and I guess its a big if, the Mini 3 gets waypoints and DJI release the SDK so other apps can be used or even Litchi, then I may sell it on.
2022-6-8
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Swoop999 Posted at 6-8 01:01
This issue has really knocked my consumer confidence and I will certainly not buy one until all these niggles have been ironed out by DJI, just as a matter of interest, have the other range of mini 2 had teething issues like this?

Ive never had either of the previous 2 Minis, but I dont think Ive seen anything related to lens fogging on any of the forums or YT. Just seems to be an issue with a number of Mini 3s and probably relates to a manufacturing fault, ie, moisture in the camera housing before it was sealed.
2022-6-8
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-7 14:18
Hopefully you get it back soon and working.

Id like to think it will be soon, but the Netherlands isnt just down the road unfortunately. Im thinking at least 10 days at least. On the other hand, if it is a problem relating to the sealed camera unit, they could likely replace it and ship it the same day. One can only hope
2022-6-8
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Update after the drone had been in a sealed food bag with 4 packets of silica gel in a hot conservatory for 2 days plus next to a dehumidifier for 7 hours.

Just completed an 18 minute flight out to 1km, back then out again to 1km - no problems, but the day is fairly cool and cloudy, humidity 64%.
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_51wYwHq1rCFS
New
Flight distance : 1854337 ft
Philippines

Ive got the same, its frustrating for a PRO drone to have like this, i never have this issue in my mini 2... I think all have the same issues
2022-6-10
Use props
djiuser_51wYwHq1rCFS
New
Flight distance : 1854337 ft
Philippines

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-7 04:02
I find it weird that it fogs over so fast, then disappears just as fast.

Yes exactly
2022-6-10
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Maybe let the whole bag acclimatise before taking the drone out?
This has happened to me when going from a warm car to cold outdoor environment.
2022-6-10
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_51wYwHq1rCFS Posted at 6-10 05:49
Ive got the same, its frustrating for a PRO drone to have like this, i never have this issue in my mini 2... I think all have the same issues

Do the same as I did - sealable bag with as many silica gel bags in it as you can find, then leave in the sun (conservatory is ideal) or any other warm/hot place for 48 hours. I also left it propped against a small dehumidifier with a loose plastic bag over both for 7 hours. I've now flown it twice and the problem appears to have disappeared.
2022-6-10
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-9 07:07
Update after the drone had been in a sealed food bag with 4 packets of silica gel in a hot conservatory for 2 days plus next to a dehumidifier for 7 hours.

Just completed an 18 minute flight out to 1km, back then out again to 1km - no problems, but the day is fairly cool and cloudy, humidity 64%.

Update - Flew it for 10 minutes today warm and sunny and no problems.
2022-6-10
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_51wYwHq1rCFS Posted at 6-10 05:49

Did you update the firmware indoors with the drone powered up and then take it outside immediately to fly?
2022-6-10
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

NOW IM REALLY WORRIED!!!
Following my mention of the lens fogging on the camera of the Mini 3, DJI sent me a UPS label so I could send it in to be inspected/repaired or replaced. I duly packaged it up and arranged for UPS to collect it.
Now, I believed this was going to be taken to a DJI service centre.
Was thast the case?
No. It wasnt.
It was delivered to a so called Authorized DJI service centre in NUTH, Netherlands, about an hours drive from Eindhoven. The place is called 'Dynafix', as I found out after Googling it.
Thats not my concern.
My concern is this.
When I entered my case number prior to sending it off, and up to the point of delivery, it stated that the item had not yet been recieved. Wasnt too worried about that because tracking was showing it as being on route.
However, it was delivered to Dynafix on the 10th, with a proof of it being received by someone called Marco.
Look up Dynafix NUTH Netherlands, and read the reviews. Its scary.....1,244 reviews, with a score of 2.2 out of 5, and reviews that list poor service, hidden costs, unnecessary repairs billed, exhorbitant costs and even missing or non returned items.

2022-6-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Falcoc Posted at 5-29 09:22
Another edit: You can also warm the camera slowly up to about 40c with a hair dryer, which would make the air in the camera expand and escape from the camera, IF it is not sealed well. The cool down of the camera would then draw low humity air back in and your fogging issues should be solved.

The cool down of the camera would then draw low humity air back in and your fogging issues should be solved.

Suggest before drone starts to cool down; putting entire drone in a plastic bag filled with an inert nearly pure gas.  Helium would be a good choice, since you can buy small tanks to fill party ballons.  Helium would displace the regular moisture laden air.

Ongoing approach is to keep drone in slighly warmer than ambient air temperature or keep drone in sealable container with dryier beads.

2022-6-12
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 6-12 20:35
The cool down of the camera would then draw low humity air back in and your fogging issues should be solved.

Suggest before drone starts to cool down; putting entire drone in a plastic bag filled with an inert nearly pure gas.  Helium would be a good choice, since you can buy small tanks to fill party ballons.  Helium would displace the regular moisture laden air.

Iit shouldnt be necessary to do anything, especially having to buy helium. Ive got a P4P which I bought just after they came out and Ive never had a problem with it in 5 or 6 years. Reliable as hell, a proper workhorse, hence my jumping on the chance of buying the Mini 3 Pro. Only problem is, it has problems from the outset. I dont mind issues with lacking functions through software as this can be updated, but fogging is an entirely different issue.
2022-6-13
Use props
jefersonalessan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 964793 ft
Brazil

https://youtube.com/shorts/TZeDh0fR6TQ?feature=share

Well a friend here in Brazil, found a solution, he made a hole, that's right, as well as other Dji models has a bottom hole, the mini 3 pro does not have, according to him that's why condensation occurs, he made several tests and it does not fog anymore, as dji engineers did not see what could happen?

Considering the positive results of my friend Fagner, would it be possible for Dji to produce this part with this hole?
2022-6-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Manich Posted at 6-13 04:05
Iit shouldnt be necessary to do anything, especially having to buy helium. Ive got a P4P which I bought just after they came out and Ive never had a problem with it in 5 or 6 years. Reliable as hell, a proper workhorse, hence my jumping on the chance of buying the Mini 3 Pro. Only problem is, it has problems from the outset. I dont mind issues with lacking functions through software as this can be updated, but fogging is an entirely different issue.

I agree!   
But for those stuck with fogging drone and trying to get their drone dried out...
2022-6-13
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 6-13 15:28
I agree!   
But for those stuck with fogging drone and trying to get their drone dried out...

Ive sent mine off to be fixed. Its being fixed by one of DJIs 'Authorized' service centres called Dynafix in NUTH, Netherlands, a company which, from their Google reviews, has strived hard to achieve the lowest ever review score Ive ever seen. Almost 1500 reviews, and rated 2.2 out of 5 stars, with reviews of damaged goods, overcharging, charging for repairs that werent even needed, and devices going missing.
Doesnt fill me with hope, but DJI have assured me all will be fine. Time will tell.
As for the fogging issue, heres a link to a YT video that highlights the very problem myself and others have experienced. Im still thinking along the lines of the camera unit being a sealed unit which, due to an error in the manufacturing process, has been sealed with moisture inside it. When the unit heats up, either through external temperature or even heat from the sensor, it condenses that moisture, which gathers on the lens element. DJI wont admit to this, nor will they admit theres a problem. Quite disappointing from a flagship company.
2022-6-15
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It appears I was right about the units not being sealed correctly. I found a BBS page on a Chinese DJI forum with the issue being clealry identified and acknowledged by DJI rep that iits a sealing issue during manufacturing, with the process apparently being changed as a result.
https://bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mo ... p;extra=&page=1
2022-6-15
Use props
Co Down
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI's response.....

"According to the pictures/videos you provided, we notice that this issue might be caused by poorly sealed lens, or occurred when operating beyond the normal operating temperature range. As for the reason for the poorly sealed lens, this may be due to unexpected storage or transportation conditions."

They are asking me to send it in for "inspection" I am going to return to Amazon for replacement.

Fingers crossed it shall be ok.

2022-6-17
Use props
Brico_GO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 496283 ft
Austria

I have same problem with my Mini 3 Pro. Really PRO.
20220617_113718.jpg
20220617_112627.jpg
2022-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Manich Posted at 6-15 06:16
Ive sent mine off to be fixed. Its being fixed by one of DJIs 'Authorized' service centres called Dynafix in NUTH, Netherlands, a company which, from their Google reviews, has strived hard to achieve the lowest ever review score Ive ever seen. Almost 1500 reviews, and rated 2.2 out of 5 stars, with reviews of damaged goods, overcharging, charging for repairs that werent even needed, and devices going missing.
Doesnt fill me with hope, but DJI have assured me all will be fine. Time will tell.
As for the fogging issue, heres a link to a YT video that highlights the very problem myself and others have experienced. Im still thinking along the lines of the camera unit being a sealed unit which, due to an error in the manufacturing process, has been sealed with moisture inside it. When the unit heats up, either through external temperature or even heat from the sensor, it condenses that moisture, which gathers on the lens element. DJI wont admit to this, nor will they admit theres a problem. Quite disappointing from a flagship company.

You are right about the sealed units and you did the right thing in returning the drone. Ridiculous notions of bagging your brand new drone in helium gas is laughable to say the least, I can only think it was a joke.
Its most likely you will receive a new drone to replace your defective one. I wish you luck.
2022-6-20
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-7 04:35
Could it be that the moisture isn't trapped inside the unit, but that the unit isn't sealed properly and moisture is getting in, then getting out when it's evaporated.

My thoughts are the same sounds to me like the lens is not sealed properly, ive not tested mine yet as im taking it on holiday next week to wales so il wait and see what happens then
2022-6-20
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-20 07:40
You are right about the sealed units and you did the right thing in returning the drone. Ridiculous notions of bagging your brand new drone in helium gas is laughable to say the least, I can only think it was a joke.
Its most likely you will receive a new drone to replace your defective one. I wish you luck.

Well, I only sent the body and gimbal cover in, in the original box. No batteries, no controller........how cool would that be if I either got a new drone with another battery, or a complete new drone and controller with another battery. Id have 1 drone, 2 controllers and 4 batteries......but knowing me, if that were the case, Id just send the extras back. Id never make a good criminal.......
2022-6-20
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DocSavage Posted at 6-20 11:36
My thoughts are the same sounds to me like the lens is not sealed properly, ive not tested mine yet as im taking it on holiday next week to wales so il wait and see what happens then

Well, it makes sense. Ken Herron on YT ran a FLIR over the Mini 3 on his tabletop, and the camera housing was around, if not in excess of 100 degrees. That would cause even the tiniest amount of trapped moisture to dissipate and condense on the cooler lens element. In his video, the body of the drone, in some places, reached 150 degrees fahrenheit, more than enough to cause 1st degree burns. No wonder the thing has thermal monitoring with auto shut off if stationary for too long. Those temps are just insane.
2022-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Manich Posted at 6-20 15:04
Well, I only sent the body and gimbal cover in, in the original box. No batteries, no controller........how cool would that be if I either got a new drone with another battery, or a complete new drone and controller with another battery. Id have 1 drone, 2 controllers and 4 batteries......but knowing me, if that were the case, Id just send the extras back. Id never make a good criminal.......

You will get a new drone, no battery no RC just the drone and this is the norm.
2022-6-20
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-20 15:08
You will get a new drone, no battery no RC just the drone and this is the norm.

.......and thats what I got, much to my surprise.
Also, there was a good indicator included that tells me DJI do occasionally listen to their consumers opinions, views and suggestions. The replacement gimbal is actually a new design, and lacks the two moulded sets of ribs inside that hold the camera housing. Just about everybody found that awkward to fit. Now, it just fits as it did, but with nothing holding the camera housing. This is quite handy as you can now also power the M3 up with the gimbal cover still in situ. So yeah, they do listen.
2022-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Manich Posted at 6-21 14:51
Also, there was a good indicator included that tells me DJI do occasionally listen to their consumers opinions, views and suggestions. The replacement gimbal is actually a new design, and lacks the two moulded sets of ribs inside that hold the camera housing. Just about everybody found that awkward to fit. Now, it just fits as it did, but with nothing holding the camera housing. This is quite handy as you can now also power the M3 up with the gimbal cover still in situ. So yeah, they do listen.

Good job enjoy..
2022-6-21
Use props
wajahat
lvl.1

Pakistan

Well, say goodbye to fog on your lens. I've experienced the same and I absolutely know how bad it feels. This will definitely help you: https://cameraprism.com/how-to-keep-the-lens-from-fogging-up-in-cold/
2022-6-23
Use props
wajahat
lvl.1

Pakistan

How to get rid of lens fogging up
2022-6-23
Use props
djiuser_Hxf9ADkMXI2h
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48031 ft
Australia

Manich Posted at 6-21 14:51

I'm in Australia (originally from the UK) and I'm just about to send my Mini 3 in for repair for the same lens fogging issue.

I was just going to the send the drone (minus the propellers and battery) in a separate Auspost (Post office) type box, but then if they replace the drone with a new unit and they send it back in a non original DJI box, I'd be left with a new drone with a serial number which doesn't match the serial number on my original box.  That only becomes an issue when I eventually sell the drone, but I'd like to hope it would come back in a new original box with a matching serial number sticker?

Also, if they send a new drone with a new serial number, how do you then link that to your DJI Care Refresh policy?  Or do they do that for you when they assign the new drone to you?

I assume the original controller can just be paired to the new aircraft as well?
Any chance you can post a pic of the new gimbal on your replacement drone?  I'd be interested to see the differences from the original.

It looks like the person on that thread you posted earlier from China has received a few replacementa and they're still fogging up! Not good.

Many thanks.  

2022-6-26
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_Hxf9ADkMXI2h Posted at 6-26 01:32
I'm in Australia (originally from the UK) and I'm just about to send my Mini 3 in for repair for the same lens fogging issue.

I was just going to the send the drone (minus the propellers and battery) in a separate Auspost (Post office) type box, but then if they replace the drone with a new unit and they send it back in a non original DJI box, I'd be left with a new drone with a serial number which doesn't match the serial number on my original box.  That only becomes an issue when I eventually sell the drone, but I'd like to hope it would come back in a new original box with a matching serial number sticker?

Ive not given much thought to the serial number issue as Im looking to keep this for a few years yet, but if I do choose to sell it at some point, it will have to be with both boxes I guess.
As for pairing, its pretty straight forward and theres a button that opens a guide on the home screen of the controller that takes you through it. A few minutes at most.
As for the redesigned gimbal cover, I will upload a pic at some point......but to give you an idea in the mean time, if you look at the thin mouldings inside the cover, the ones that sit around the camera housing, theyve been removed and, believe me, it is so much easier to both remove and fit the cover itself. On a few occasions, due to the resting angle of the camera housing, Ive accidentally caught it at an awkward angle and applied undue pressure on both it and the gimbal itself. With this new cover, that isnt an issue. Just clicks on and off with ease.

As for the fogging issue. I flew my drone for the first time this evening, since it was returned. 1.4k along a beach, over a headland and out to sea. There were cloudy skies and rain falling way out at sea.......and just as luck would have it, as I turned to bring it home, the wind changed and the rain came in. It was about 1.2k away and the wind had turned head on to the drone and it flew around 1k in a moderate rain. It was completely soaked when it landed, with even the lens covered in water droplets and all around the air intakes........but it hadnt fogged internally and even the footage it shot throughout the flight was still usable, just a little hazy cos of the droplets on the lens. I spent a few minutes drying it carefully with a towel and took it out 10 mins later after the rain had stopped with no problems at all.
I havent checked my DJI Care Refresh policy yet, but will let you know. Im assuming its been re assigned to this one through my DJI account.
2022-6-26
Use props
Wiganer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48031 ft
Australia

Manich Posted at 6-26 15:13
Ive not given much thought to the serial number issue as Im looking to keep this for a few years yet, but if I do choose to sell it at some point, it will have to be with both boxes I guess.
As for pairing, its pretty straight forward and theres a button that opens a guide on the home screen of the controller that takes you through it. A few minutes at most.
As for the redesigned gimbal cover, I will upload a pic at some point......but to give you an idea in the mean time, if you look at the thin mouldings inside the cover, the ones that sit around the camera housing, theyve been removed and, believe me, it is so much easier to both remove and fit the cover itself. On a few occasions, due to the resting angle of the camera housing, Ive accidentally caught it at an awkward angle and applied undue pressure on both it and the gimbal itself. With this new cover, that isnt an issue. Just clicks on and off with ease.

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate the info.

So when they sent your replacement drone, did it come back in a new DJI retail box with matching serial number sticker, or did they send it back in a non retail box?

Sounds like a good outcome for you with the new drone anyway,  Hope it continues.  I'm slightly concerned about returning mine because on that fogging thread from China which you posted a link to, the guy has had a few replacements, including one with the new gimbal cover, and he said it's still fogging.  We can only hope that is a one off.

Cheers.
2022-6-26
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wiganer Posted at 6-26 16:52
Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate the info.

So when they sent your replacement drone, did it come back in a new DJI retail box with matching serial number sticker, or did they send it back in a non retail box?

Adding to my earlier reply, Ive removed the old M3 from my DJI account through the controller and it says my DJI Care Refresh is still active on the new one.
One thing I did notice however, is that the M3 serial number and the controllers are the same. Seems a bit wierd. I can only assume that the controller takes on the serial number of the M3 when its paired?
If you power up your controller, go to Profile, then Device management, see if your controller shares the same serial number with the M3.....
cheers
2022-6-30
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules