Lens fogging!! Help!
123Next >
10375 88 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Co Down
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mini Pro 3 just arrived yesterday from Amazon UK.

First two flights on a lovely Sunny 18c Day and I've fog on the lens.

As soon as I take off and into the air the fogging begins. All pictures and video are unusable.

When I land the drone I can look at the lens and watch the fog gradually fade away.

Any ideas? Have I a faulty unit?  
2022-5-29
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

I'm not sure, what was the humidity?
2022-5-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has been reported a few times now with this drone.  It doesn't happen all the time though.  
2022-5-29
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

You have moisture inside your camera that condensates on the cooler lens and lens cover. Condensate evaporates again when the lens and cover warm up from the CMOS sensor heat, sun shines on it and/or ambient temp rises. Edit: Without taking the cam apart to exchange the humid air with dryer air, you can place your mini 3 in a low humidity area for a day or two and hope atmoshperic pressure changes exchange the air inside the cam. I have no idea how well these cams are sealed though. But might be worth a try.  
Another edit: You can also warm the camera slowly up to about 40c with a hair dryer, which would make the air in the camera expand and escape from the camera, IF it is not sealed well. The cool down of the camera would then draw low humity air back in and your fogging issues should be solved.
2022-5-29
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59416 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am seeing this too.
2022-5-29
Use props
Co Down
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OK guys I'll give it a day or two, however, you tuber DCrainmaker has mentioned this problem and DJI told him there was a faulty batch.

Humidity today is bang on 60%. I'll wait until tomorrow and drop DJI a message before I return it.

2022-5-29
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

Not DJI but there was the same problem with the first batch of FIMI A3 drones. Later they sealed the lens and the camera case and everything was ok.

You should return it for a replacement or refund!!!

Don't wait, otherwise you'll never be happy.

2022-5-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Maybe DJI has dicovered the issue themself and thats way there is such a delivery delay.
Sometimes it is good not to be an early bird.
2022-5-29
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7308658 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have no issue at all, also no fog or something. Mine works really fine.
2022-5-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Co Down Posted at 5-29 11:13
OK guys I'll give it a day or two, however, you tuber DCrainmaker has mentioned this problem and DJI told him there was a faulty batch.

Humidity today is bang on 60%. I'll wait until tomorrow and drop DJI a message before I return it.

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we have a video or a photo that captures the clear foggy phenomenon if possible?
2022-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive had this once is 60 miles of flight,    so far not a huge issue.  
2022-5-29
Use props
Co Down
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So the DJI online support site is apparently unavailable and the link to email DJI doesn't seem to show an email address anywhere.

Anyone know the email address??

Not impressed so far. When I get time i'll try to recreat the issue and post video and pictures of the misting/fogging up of the lens.
2022-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Co Down Posted at 5-30 04:40
So the DJI online support site is apparently unavailable and the link to email DJI doesn't seem to show an email address anywhere.

Support@dji.com
2022-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Co Down Posted at 5-30 04:40
So the DJI online support site is apparently unavailable and the link to email DJI doesn't seem to show an email address anywhere.

Support@dji.com . You can also arrange a return through the fly app at repair and exchange.
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_OMnRZcg6nIzU
lvl.1
Australia

Yeah I'm also getting this issue, if it happens on a regular basis I'll be returning the drone for a replacement which is not ideal as I just got it but yeah the footage is unusable when it happens
2022-6-1
Use props
djiuser_ABuRGkrciXfj
New

Australia

I have this exact issue. Happy to upload a video however planning to take it to my DJI retail/repair centre ASAP.
2022-6-1
Use props
djiuser_ABuRGkrciXfj
New

Australia

I have this exact issue also. Happened from the first flight. I have tried placing it in a low/no humidity environment for 4 days and then as soon as I used it again the exact same issue. You can see it fogs the lens internally and once it's there it takes a long time to disappear. Am taking it to my DJI retailer tonight.
2022-6-1
Use props
fansd7299fc4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

I likewise have this issue with the majority of flights. The front element of the lens fogs over with a very fine condensation rendering images and footage totally useless. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, DJI are aware of the issue in at least one batch of this model, but does that mean that batch has been recalled and the issue remedied, or does it mean there are other batches with this issue still out there? Ive just raised a request for a repair through the online submission service as I havent paid over £1000 for the entire kit to find I can only a small fraction of the footage. If its a sealed unit, then maybe it is triggered by the sensor heating up depending on what image or video mode your in, and any moisture trapped inside evaporating and adhering to the coolest surface, namely the front element of the lens assembly. That seems the most likely scenario. If indeed that is the case, then the camera unit needs replacing and should be replaced under the guarantee alone. Im just going to see what the response is.
2022-6-2
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

fansd7299fc4 Posted at 6-2 14:43
I likewise have this issue with the majority of flights. The front element of the lens fogs over with a very fine condensation rendering images and footage totally useless. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, DJI are aware of the issue in at least one batch of this model, but does that mean that batch has been recalled and the issue remedied, or does it mean there are other batches with this issue still out there? Ive just raised a request for a repair through the online submission service as I havent paid over £1000 for the entire kit to find I can only a small fraction of the footage. If its a sealed unit, then maybe it is triggered by the sensor heating up depending on what image or video mode your in, and any moisture trapped inside evaporating and adhering to the coolest surface, namely the front element of the lens assembly. That seems the most likely scenario. If indeed that is the case, then the camera unit needs replacing and should be replaced under the guarantee alone. Im just going to see what the response is.

Can you post a picture of an example? I’m curious as to what it looks like.
2022-6-2
Use props
djiuser_OMnRZcg6nIzU
lvl.1
Australia

Did you get yours replaced?
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

J04DAN Posted at 6-2 17:47

If you imagine just breathing onto the lens so it mists over a little, thats about the same. It looks very much like a foggy day, with lack of definition, and highlights spread out like a halo effect. I'll post a few samples sometime, as I run a Windows PC, this one, and a Mac, so I will have to put some on a stick and transfer them to this machine.
Gotta say, after spending the money on the drone and flymore kit, a lot of money for me even on finance, I dont really expect to have these problems. Ive had a P4P for 5 or 6 years and never had a problem with it. We use drones to give us unique footage and images you just cant get from the ground, and when your images arent right then it becomes a paper weight, not a tool.
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_OMnRZcg6nIzU Posted at 6-6 01:07
Did you get yours replaced?

Ive raised it with DJI, pointing out that Im aware that THEY are aware of an issue with at least one batch that suffers from this, and theyve sent me a postage label to return it to them for, Im assuming, repair or replacement. And Im hoping thats under the guarantee as well, because 12 months manufacturers guarantee is the norm, and Ive had it less than a month. Its been present from day one.
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_ABuRGkrciXfj Posted at 6-1 20:17
I have this exact issue. Happy to upload a video however planning to take it to my DJI retail/repair centre ASAP.

'.....planning to take it to my DJI retail/repair centre ASAP.' Wow. Youre lucky. I have to post mine to the Netherlands, from the UK. And here was me thinking I could just drive........
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:41
Ive had this once is 60 miles of flight,    so far not a huge issue.

The issue is, you shouldnt really have it at all. Im assuming that due to the nature of the sensor and its position in the housing, it is likely a sealed unit thats put together in a dry, hermetically sealed environment. It would have to be. If moisture is building up, as in fogging the front element of the lens, then theyve allowed moisture into the housing at some point during that part of the manufacturing process.
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Also, seeing as Im a forum noob, period, and dont know how to start a new thread, I want to touch on the subjects of range, and focus.
Im finding both are a bit hit and miss, but I want to run with focus first. Yes, its a 1.7 fixed aperture lens, so DOF is an issue, though one we can live with, but the focussing range is so minute that I often find a lot of my shots, both video and stills, are not in focus, and thats regardless of whether Im using AF or Manual. I use focus peeking (you really need to) and it still struggles to get it right at times. If theres a sweet spot, Ive yet to find it. Anyone got any ideas? Im hoping that they introduce an AF continuous option in a future firmware update.
Now to range. Again, this is something else that doesnt seem to have any 'consistency'. DJI claims 12km. Maybe they missed a (.) out there, because Im averaging 1 to 1.2km. having said that, I flew out over the sea a week or so back to circle a cable laying ship moored in the bay where I live and after checking my flight logs, I saw that it was my farthest flight to date, at 2200m or 1.36 miles. I had a few signal drop outs along the way, from around 500m outwards, but it made it after I redirected the controller. I was determined to reach the ship and, as one would expect, it was a bit butt puckering at times. You know what I mean. You start having doubts about whether it was a good idea to fly so far out over water, or you wish youd said a proper goodbye to the little thing before you sent it on its way, just in case you never see it again. And lets face it. You wouldnt.
Anyway, that was over the sea, with very little interference around the launch area. As for urban and more typically built up areas, Im averaging around 500 to 800m before I get connection issues.
How about you guys? Any better? Any worse?
2022-6-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-6 13:41
The issue is, you shouldnt really have it at all. Im assuming that due to the nature of the sensor and its position in the housing, it is likely a sealed unit thats put together in a dry, hermetically sealed environment. It would have to be. If moisture is building up, as in fogging the front element of the lens, then theyve allowed moisture into the housing at some point during that part of the manufacturing process.

Personally I put it down to the fact I had put it next to a very cold water bottle for a bit before I flew.   Ive never flown another 30 or more miles and its not happened again.  
2022-6-6
Use props
djiuser_t2y4qtuFraf1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 476496 ft
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-6 13:32
If you imagine just breathing onto the lens so it mists over a little, thats about the same. It looks very much like a foggy day, with lack of definition, and highlights spread out like a halo effect. I'll post a few samples sometime, as I run a Windows PC, this one, and a Mac, so I will have to put some on a stick and transfer them to this machine.
Gotta say, after spending the money on the drone and flymore kit, a lot of money for me even on finance, I dont really expect to have these problems. Ive had a P4P for 5 or 6 years and never had a problem with it. We use drones to give us unique footage and images you just cant get from the ground, and when your images arent right then it becomes a paper weight, not a tool.

Did this happen every flight, or in certain weather/temperature conditions?
With mine, it happened first time out, after it had been sat switched on indoors while the firmware was updated. Since then, it has happened less and less - I let it hover indoors until the battery ran out and there was no fogging, and I flew it yesterday and again no fogging. I have left it overnight twice now with the bag of dessicant that came with it trapped behind the camera.
I've only flown it from my house a few hundred metre so far, but will be doing a 'proper' flight in the next few days.
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_t2y4qtuFraf1
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-6 13:57
Also, seeing as Im a forum noob, period, and dont know how to start a new thread, I want to touch on the subjects of range, and focus.
Im finding both are a bit hit and miss, but I want to run with focus first. Yes, its a 1.7 fixed aperture lens, so DOF is an issue, though one we can live with, but the focussing range is so minute that I often find a lot of my shots, both video and stills, are not in focus, and thats regardless of whether Im using AF or Manual. I use focus peeking (you really need to) and it still struggles to get it right at times. If theres a sweet spot, Ive yet to find it. Anyone got any ideas? Im hoping that they introduce an AF continuous option in a future firmware update.
Now to range. Again, this is something else that doesnt seem to have any 'consistency'. DJI claims 12km. Maybe they missed a (.) out there, because Im averaging 1 to 1.2km. having said that, I flew out over the sea a week or so back to circle a cable laying ship moored in the bay where I live and after checking my flight logs, I saw that it was my farthest flight to date, at 2200m or 1.36 miles. I had a few signal drop outs along the way, from around 500m outwards, but it made it after I redirected the controller. I was determined to reach the ship and, as one would expect, it was a bit butt puckering at times. You know what I mean. You start having doubts about whether it was a good idea to fly so far out over water, or you wish youd said a proper goodbye to the little thing before you sent it on its way, just in case you never see it again. And lets face it. You wouldnt.

No focus problems, range not sure about yet.
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_t2y4qtuFraf1
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_t2y4qtuFraf1 Posted at 6-7 01:13
With mine, it happened first time out, after it had been sat switched on indoors while the firmware was updated. Since then, it has happened less and less - I let it hover indoors until the battery ran out and there was no fogging, and I flew it yesterday and again no fogging. I have left it overnight twice now with the bag of dessicant that came with it trapped behind the camera.
I've only flown it from my house a few hundred metre so far, but will be doing a 'proper' flight in the next few days.

I spoke too soon.

Tested it again, on this warm sunny day, and it appeared to be fine - took lots of shots in a circle from 90m height, some towards the sun (not into it...), and it appeared fine. Took it down to 30m and it totally misted instantly. Tried again a few minutes later, and it had cleared totally....only to mist again.
I've now left it in the hot conservatory with the dessicant behind the camera, but I think it will have to go back. LCE said that they will replace it, but there's no stock - I intended to take it to Scotland in 10 days time, so I might just take it and hope for the best and then send it off when I get back.
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_t2y4qtuFraf1 Posted at 6-7 01:13
With mine, it happened first time out, after it had been sat switched on indoors while the firmware was updated. Since then, it has happened less and less - I let it hover indoors until the battery ran out and there was no fogging, and I flew it yesterday and again no fogging. I have left it overnight twice now with the bag of dessicant that came with it trapped behind the camera.
I've only flown it from my house a few hundred metre so far, but will be doing a 'proper' flight in the next few days.

It happens on the majority of flights, starting clear, then misting, then clearing...its just random. Ive considered that it could be down to the heat generated by the sensor in different modes, maybe, but Ive had it fogging over shortly after launch, at all heights, without having taken any footage or pics. The point is, it shouldnt be fogging at all internally. Ive had a P4p for about 5 or 6 years and the only fogging I got with that was behind the filter element, not the camera lens, and that was only due to the usual warm to colder environment. This drone has never had big changes in temperature. It just fogs over, clears, then fogs over again.
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

J04DAN Posted at 6-2 17:47

As you can see, it has that misty appearance and just scatters light and colour round really bad. It becomes so diffused that no amount of editing gets rid of it....not that it should even need editing for what these things cost.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I find it weird that it fogs over so fast, then disappears just as fast.
2022-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That looks like something that needs returning.
2022-6-7
Use props
simistef
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2142267 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I think i might have captured this while flying. I only saw this back home when browsing trough videos. Didn't look on location to see the lens if was blurred or not.
Lens fogging while in flight video
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Could it be that the moisture isn't trapped inside the unit, but that the unit isn't sealed properly and moisture is getting in, then getting out when it's evaporated.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

simistef Posted at 6-7 04:18
I think i might have captured this while flying. I only saw this back home when browsing trough videos. Didn't look on location to see the lens if was blurred or not.
Lens fogging while in flight video

That's it I'm afraid.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

https://www.getscw.com/support/faq/camera-lens-moisture
2022-6-7
Use props
simistef
lvl.2
  • >>>
Romania

I think it is a sealing problem with the lens. Nothing can be done if you fly from the ground "dry" and in the air it get humid. Like in the video i posted, while flying over the cliff got blurred. This is because hot air is pushed upward by the cliff and that is when the fogging happens. If i fly away from the cliff and stay over a "green" area (colder) problem disappears. This is why you might take of dry, land dry, but some of the shots in the air will be blurred...

So if sealing is not fixed, not sure how you can have a consistent output.
2022-6-7
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
United Kingdom

simistef Posted at 6-7 05:41
I think it is a sealing problem with the lens. Nothing can be done if you fly from the ground "dry" and in the air it get humid. Like in the video i posted, while flying over the cliff got blurred. This is because hot air is pushed upward by the cliff and that is when the fogging happens. If i fly away from the cliff and stay over a "green" area (colder) problem disappears. This is why you might take of dry, land dry, but some of the shots in the air will be blurred...

So if sealing is not fixed, not sure how you can have a consistent output.

That's interesting, because when mine fogged up badly this morning, the drone was hovering at 30m above tarmac on a warm day.
2022-6-7
Use props
simistef
lvl.2
  • >>>
Romania

do you happen to have the conditions during the flight? I am using Airdata and this is what it was like. 70% humidity, and some of a difference between temperature and dew point.
2022-6-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules