Distance from home inaccurate.
1574 10 2022-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

So what happens here?  Took off and homepoint updated, flew a bout a bit then came back.  Within a couple of feet of myself and controller but drone said it is over 40m away.

40m Away.JPG
2022-5-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Usually that means you did not wait with the aircraft on the ground for the Home Point to be set. Probably it got set when you flew away from home.
2022-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The time to check that is before you fly out, rather than when you bring the drone in at the end of the flight.
As Geebax said, the most likely explanation is that your drone saved it's home point when it was 40 metres from where you launched.
If you really wanted to check, the recorded flight data will tell the whole story.
2022-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rockbyter. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The default Home Point is the first location where the drone received a strong or moderate strong GPS signal. It is recommended to wait until the Home Point is successfully recorded before flying. After the Home Point is recorded, the drone status indicator blinks green and a prompt appears in the DJI Fly. If it is necessary to update the Home Point during flight ( such as if the user changes position ), the Home Point can be manually updated under Safety in System Settings on the DJI Fly application. Thank you.
2022-5-30
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just to clarify.  Aircraft launches, remote says "Home point updated please check it on the map".  Does this not mean what I think it means and that I can go fly and return to this point or am I missing some vital information here.?  Does it have anything to do with the GPS of my iphone x which is wildly inaccurate, a known issue with this phone.  Getting the wife's Iphone 11 as a hand me down soon, that at least appears to have decent GPS accuracy.  Anyway as long as I know this issue occurs I can work around it.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply-, fly safe all.
2022-5-31
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Update:  As before flew again and everything was perfect!  All worked as it should, nice flights even if only local trying to get used to this little drone.  One question regarding the reply above, if I reset the home point I take it it will be set to where the aircraft is and not to where the remote is!  Could be difficult if it's some 500m away and that is the new home point.  I'll try it next time out but obviousley not that far away
2022-5-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rockbyter Posted at 5-31 02:16
Just to clarify.  Aircraft launches, remote says "Home point updated please check it on the map".  Does this not mean what I think it means and that I can go fly and return to this point or am I missing some vital information here.?  Does it have anything to do with the GPS of my iphone x which is wildly inaccurate, a known issue with this phone.  Getting the wife's Iphone 11 as a hand me down soon, that at least appears to have decent GPS accuracy.  Anyway as long as I know this issue occurs I can work around it.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply-, fly safe all.

Aircraft launches, remote says "Home point updated please check it on the map".  Does this not mean what I think it means and that I can go fly and return to this point or am I missing some vital information here.?
You could sometimes have a homepoint recorded with magiinal GPS reception and the drone will update that shortly after when GPS reception is better.
You would have to look at the recorded flight data to see if that was what happened.

Does it have anything to do with the GPS of my iphone x which is wildly inaccurate, a known issue with this phone.
It has nothing to do with the phone.
The drone uses only its own GPS receover for flight purposes.

2022-5-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rockbyter Posted at 5-31 09:00
Update:  As before flew again and everything was perfect!  All worked as it should, nice flights even if only local trying to get used to this little drone.  One question regarding the reply above, if I reset the home point I take it it will be set to where the aircraft is and not to where the remote is!  Could be difficult if it's some 500m away and that is the new home point.  I'll try it next time out but obviousley not that far away

If I reset the home point I take it it will be set to where the aircraft is and not to where the remote is!
Don't assume anything.
You can reset the homepoint to the current location of the drone or to the location of your controller.

Could be difficult if it's some 500m away and that is the new home point.
It's quick and easy

2022-5-31
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks again for the replies.  Flew again today around the Angel of the North and it once again flew faultlessly.  Regarding my first post, I have the whole clip and it shows the distance from me as 0.72m at launch but then ends up saying 40m away when I brought it back.  I will delve in to the flight records and see what happened but to be honest if it continues to perform like today I will be quite happy with it.
2022-6-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rockbyter Posted at 6-1 03:44
Thanks again for the replies.  Flew again today around the Angel of the North and it once again flew faultlessly.  Regarding my first post, I have the whole clip and it shows the distance from me as 0.72m at launch but then ends up saying 40m away when I brought it back.  I will delve in to the flight records and see what happened but to be honest if it continues to perform like today I will be quite happy with it.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions for uploading the txt file from the flight in question.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

Someone can analyse the data for you
2022-6-1
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-1 05:40
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions for uploading the txt file from the flight in question.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.

Thanks Labroides, I think I have spent enough time on this to be honest.  I probably did something wrong which is why it is working fine now.  I really appreciate the time folk have taken to reply and suggest reasons and am going to put it down to some sort of user error as at the moment is it working fine.

Thanks.
Link to youtube from this morning: [color=var(--ytcp-call-to-action)]
2022-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules