Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to force Active Track to keep the target where I frame it?
3950 10 2022-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

My Osmo Pocket works fine but I can't find any way to force it to keep the track target framed where I want it.  I'm trying to track a stationary object in the lower part of my frame with just some simple left/right weight shifting on my feet for a floaty effect.

My method is this:

Connect OP to phone.
Select track target in app.
Use on-screen joystick to position the target into the lower 1/3 of the frame.
Start recording.

No matter what, within 2 minutes the OP centers my tracked object in the frame and ruins the frame composition.

Does anyone have any idea which might help me solve this?  I assume DJI have absolutely abandoned the OP at this point for software updates but on the off chance, has anyone else tried to do similar with any success with longer shots?

2022-5-31
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

I would guess that it assumes that the framed object is the subject and assumes it should be centered.
You might take a wider shot and crop in post to achieve the effect.
2022-5-31
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

Curt1591 Posted at 5-31 16:22
I would guess that it assumes that the framed object is the subject and assumes it should be centered.
You might take a wider shot and crop in post to achieve the effect.

Yeah, I'm already wanting to use the crop concept to be able to pull a close up insert out of the shot.  Trying to track the front edge of a desk during a demo.  Tried tracking the desk top in full but the movement over it messes the track up, the above idea fails to work, and I already need the crop factor to generate faux closer inserts so  can't go much wider than it already is.

I just don't get why it tracks perfectly fine for 2 minutes and just goes, "Welp, enough of that!" and re-frames.  It's not like the track object even comes close to leaving frame, either.

One other artifact of it is that I am 100% unable to tilt the camera up again unless I clear the track point and pick a new one.

I've tried every kind of thing to track- picture of a face, solid red square on a solid black background, VFX track markers both paper and glowing light object...

It feels like this would be a simple software fix but I doubt DJI will ever release another update for the OG Pocket given the last one was 2019.
2022-5-31
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

"I just don't get why it tracks perfectly fine for 2 minutes and just goes, "Welp, enough of that!" and re-frames.  It's not like the track object even comes close to leaving frame, either."

The few times I have used tracking I noticed that if the subject comes near the edge, and moves quickly, it can lose the subject. Because you are "swirling", it possibly picks it back up and then moves it to the center.
2022-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there hook-airs. I am sorry for the trouble this has casued and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the  DJI Mimo ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo ) application for us to be able to isolate the said issue and kindly please save all of your important information before uninstalling the DJI Mimo application on your mobile device for you not to loose your files. Thank you.

2022-5-31
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-31 19:50
Hello there hook-airs. I am sorry for the trouble this has casued and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the  DJI Mimo ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo ) application for us to be able to isolate the said issue and kindly please save all of your important information before uninstalling the DJI Mimo application on your mobile device for you not to loose your files. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvt6mmdV5Nk

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 which is in the supported device list and have the newest version of the Mimo App installed from the DJI website.  This problem has been consistent for me across the old versions of Mimo I have tried as well.
2022-5-31
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

Curt1591 Posted at 5-31 18:36
The few times I have used tracking I noticed that if the subject comes near the edge, and moves quickly, it can lose the subject. Because you are "swirling", it possibly picks it back up and then moves it to the center.

Hmm... this is interesting to consider.  Maybe the view in which Active Track functions is cropped in VS what we see from the camera itself for some technical limitation?  I'm going to do a test tomorrow on this idea and see if framing the tracked object closer to center frame with the joystick has any effect.  It would be interesting if this is what's going on- that the Active Track has its own unseen "cropped" area of the image it tracks within.
2022-5-31
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

Ok, I tried placing the track object on the grid lines for the upper and lower third boundary, the vertical grid lines for the left and right boundary, extreme sides of the frame (top, bottom, left, right), and even just barely adjusting the tracked object framing to be slightly off of center... same result every time- after about 2 minutes the Osmo Pocket jarringly forces the track object to dead center as if I had just drawn a new box around a new object.

Fast mode, slow mode, connected to a phone or just OP on its own after setting the frame... This has to be some sort of a firmware issue and it seems like it should be super easy to fix (but maybe I'm totally wrong).

That said, what good is being able to adjust framing in the app if the OP is going to just recenter itself on the tracked object no matter what after 2 minutes?  
2022-6-2
Use props
djiuser_GhH6SfaVIQKD
lvl.1

Turkey

You got me interested. Thank you for sharing information
2022-6-5
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

Well, after trying everything it just seems that the Osmo Pocket's active track has some sort of a flaw with how it interacts with adjusted framing.  I guess my Osmo Pocket is going to go back in the drawer until maybe someday DJI fixes this issue with an update.
2022-6-10
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

As I mentioned before, since the OP is 4K, move further from the subject, center the subject, then crop to the desired effect.

My Pocket isn't shut away in a drawer and I haven't even tried to create your effect. I guess I better not!

It's doubtful this issue will be fixed.
2022-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules