5874 37 2022-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I've been testing the HLG mode on my M3C for a while now, this is a short clip showing what it looks like. In my opinion it's a great addition to D-LOG and normal color profiles!

2022-5-31
Use props
伍仁
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19181371 ft
  • >>>
China

nice shot thanks
2022-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there oberschneider.com. Good day and thank you for posting this amazing video you have filmed using your DJI Mavic 3 Cine. Great work and keep flying. .
2022-5-31
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Omg, that buildings architecture is just awesome. I would love to live there on those mountains in a building like that. Also great video and the HLG looks great and cant wait to use it!
2022-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.   
2022-5-31
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

beautiful
2022-6-1
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant, thanks for sharing.
2022-6-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Super quality video, and what a beautiful location.
2022-6-1
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hey Oberschneider, this is an amazing footage. Could you please share what ND filter you used for this one and also if you shot in manual or auto video parameters (shutter speed, iso, aperture, white balance, focus (auto / manual)). Also wanted to ask you what adjustments you made in post productions, i.e. saturation, contrast, shadows, mid tones, highlights, etc. Thanks in advance, Mike.
2022-6-1
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

I LOVE it.  To see the image at the display's peak brightness really seems to be the way it was meant to be seen.
2022-6-1
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Mzp Posted at 6-1 07:14
Hey Oberschneider, this is an amazing footage. Could you please share what ND filter you used for this one and also if you shot in manual or auto video parameters (shutter speed, iso, aperture, white balance, focus (auto / manual)). Also wanted to ask you what adjustments you made in post productions, i.e. saturation, contrast, shadows, mid tones, highlights, etc. Thanks in advance, Mike.

Thanks Mike! I can't remember which ND I was using, but I'd guess it was the ND64. Settings were manual, ISO 100 (that's another benefit of HLG vs D-LOG - all ISO settings are available!), f/5.6. Autofocus, manual white balance of 5600K iirc.
I had a hard time getting the colors look right in FCPX with Color Finale 2 Pro, and am still not absolutely happy how they turned out. I'd love to have full control over manual white balance, the color temperature alone is often not enough for shooting snow scenes.
Other than that the footage didn't need too many corrections.
Denoising was done with Neat Video (tricky because it doesn't support HLG, so you don't really see what you're doing before exporting), exported as BT.2020 HLG & ProRes 422.
2022-6-2
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

oberschneider.com Posted at 6-2 02:36
Thanks Mike! I can't remember which ND I was using, but I'd guess it was the ND64. Settings were manual, ISO 100 (that's another benefit of HLG vs D-LOG - all ISO settings are available!), f/5.6. Autofocus, manual white balance of 5600K iirc.
I had a hard time getting the colors look right in FCPX with Color Finale 2 Pro, and am still not absolutely happy how they turned out. I'd love to have full control over manual white balance, the color temperature alone is often not enough for shooting snow scenes.
Other than that the footage didn't need too many corrections.

Thank you for sharing Oberschneider. It's nice that HLG has more control, I also played with those settings when testing HLG. I also use Neat Video, it seems slow, but it works well. Your video came out very clean and no noticeable noise. Thank you for sharing, Mike.
2022-6-2
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was phenomenal footage....fantastic job  
2022-6-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice footage !!!
2022-6-2
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Thank you all for the kind words, much appreciated! As a photographer, I'm still struggling with the hugely time intensive editing of even such a short video, but this kind of feedback keeps me motivated to shoot videos more often.
2022-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, looks amazing!
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

oberschneider.com Posted at 6-2 19:27
Thank you all for the kind words, much appreciated! As a photographer, I'm still struggling with the hugely time intensive editing of even such a short video, but this kind of feedback keeps me motivated to shoot videos more often.

Hey Oberschneider,
It's really a great footage and work in post. Wanted to ask you, you don't seem to be shooting in 4k 60fps, but it seems, 4k has DJI denoising built it for D-Log and HLG. Wanted to ask you how do you find it? I am having trouble with removal of noise in 5k 50fps due to having to find a compromise between good denoising, i.e. Neat Video / Davinci Resolve built in denoising  and losing some level details in certain area after denoising, especially clouds and water. Unfortunately it seems that Neat Video, maybe I am not using correct setting, some details in clouds and water are smoothed out, making the video look more like a painting. Also denoising especially when using Neat Video seems to be a very slow process. Wanted to ask you for your take on this.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
2022-6-3
Use props
Baggio_YY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1609446 ft
  • >>>
South Korea

The texture of snow is great and so cool "Above the Clouds"
2022-6-3
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Great footage
2022-6-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Masterful videography.  Stunning work!!!   Really really nice @Oberschneider!
2022-6-3
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Mzp Posted at 6-3 12:58
Hey Oberschneider,
It's really a great footage and work in post. Wanted to ask you, you don't seem to be shooting in 4k 60fps, but it seems, 4k has DJI denoising built it for D-Log and HLG. Wanted to ask you how do you find it? I am having trouble with removal of noise in 5k 50fps due to having to find a compromise between good denoising, i.e. Neat Video / Davinci Resolve built in denoising  and losing some level details in certain area after denoising, especially clouds and water. Unfortunately it seems that Neat Video, maybe I am not using correct setting, some details in clouds and water are smoothed out, making the video look more like a painting. Also denoising especially when using Neat Video seems to be a very slow process. Wanted to ask you for your take on this.

Hi Mike,

I prefer manual denoising and the higher 5.1K resolution to 4K 60. Have you tried manually fine tuning the noise reduction settings in Neat video? There's a before / after comparison available in the viewer that helps visualizing the various settings. I'd start with the 'reduce noise and sharpen' preset and then gradually reduce the noise reduction amount to find a compromise between NR and loss of details. After that do the same with sharpening.
Hope this helps
2022-6-3
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

TonyPHX Posted at 6-3 18:36
Masterful videography.  Stunning work!!!   Really really nice @Oberschneider!

Thank you!
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

oberschneider.com Posted at 6-3 19:25
Hi Mike,

I prefer manual denoising and the higher 5.1K resolution to 4K 60. Have you tried manually fine tuning the noise reduction settings in Neat video? There's a before / after comparison available in the viewer that helps visualizing the various settings. I'd start with the 'reduce noise and sharpen' preset and then gradually reduce the noise reduction amount to find a compromise between NR and loss of details. After that do the same with sharpening.

Thank you Oberschneider, this helps!
2022-6-4
Use props
jeffjeffellisphoto.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-3 12:58
Hey Oberschneider,

Video newbie question- is HLG only available with the Cine version or does the M3 Classic have that option as well?
2022-11-2
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

jeffjeffellisphoto.com Posted at 11-2 15:50
Video newbie question- is HLG only available with the Cine version or does the M3 Classic have that option as well?

Hi Jeff,

Yes Mavic 3 Classic supports HLG as well (thanks to tireless efforts of so many members of this forum pushing DJI to implement it for Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 3 back in May this year).

Thanks, Mike.
2022-11-2
Use props
jeffjeffellisphoto.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

Mzp Posted at 11-2 16:59
Hi Jeff,

Yes Mavic 3 Classic supports HLG as well (thanks to tireless efforts of so many members of this forum pushing DJI to implement it for Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 3 back in May this year).

Thanks Mike- so is that a color mode setting available while shooting now? We would have Normal,  HLG or D-Log ?
2022-11-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

jeffjeffellisphoto.com Posted at 11-3 07:21
Thanks Mike- so is that a color mode setting available while shooting now? We would have Normal,  HLG or D-Log ?

Hi Jeff,

Yes sure, it's under Camera tab, you will see it there under Color section: Normal, HLG, D-Log .

Thanks, Mike.
2022-11-3
Use props
mcde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621906 ft
Greece

I shot some HLG footage with the Mavic 3 this summer and while it was fantastic when viewed on devices that support HDR, I had issues exporting the video so that it could be uploaded to platforms that do not support Rec 2100 (instagram mainly). There are some relevant options in premiere pro, like "SDR conform" but the resulting image is bad and there seem to be issues with the colors. I'm not sure what can be done about this. Preparing the footage for platforms that do support HDR (youtube) is easy though. Editing in premiere pro is done natively in rec 2100 and the results are great. Any help on this would be appreciated.
2022-11-4
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Mcde,

I actually never tried uploading anything to Instagram as I don't have an account there. But I tried Facebook and Youtube and both handle HLG natively just fine. And I also tested viewing those videos on SDR monitors and they display colors just fine as HLG format is universally compatible with SDR monitors. Are you sure you need to do anything special like SDR conform in Adobe Premier? I actually use Davinci Resolve and for Facebook and Youtube I just upload HLG HDR as is without any transcoding to SDR. Maybe you can try uploading the HLG HDR file to Instagram natively without any transcoding to SDR and see if it works. I actually don't know much about Instagram, but imho it should probably support HLG as is. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-11-4
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

I've never had to use a specific SDR version for IG. I'm using the same format for Instagram and YouTube (but smaller HEVC files instead of huge ProRes clips of course), and it works perfectly.
2022-11-4
Use props
mcde
lvl.4
Greece

I only had issues when I tried uploading to Instagram a rec 2100 h.265 file. The resulting image was really bad, the colors were off. Then I tried using SDR conform (there's one such option in premiere pro) but again there were issues. I thought that using SDR conform would result in something like viewing HLG footage in SDR equipment, but that definitely was not the case. I'm not even sure Instagram supports rec 2100. Perhaps I should try exporting again with different export settings.
2022-11-7
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

mcde Posted at 11-7 00:18
I only had issues when I tried uploading to Instagram a rec 2100 h.265 file. The resulting image was really bad, the colors were off. Then I tried using SDR conform (there's one such option in premiere pro) but again there were issues. I thought that using SDR conform would result in something like viewing HLG footage in SDR equipment, but that definitely was not the case. I'm not even sure Instagram supports rec 2100. Perhaps I should try exporting again with different export settings.

Try Rec. 2020 HLG, that's what works for me on IG.
2022-11-7
Use props
mcde
lvl.4
Greece

oberschneider.com Posted at 11-7 07:56
Try Rec. 2020 HLG, that's what works for me on IG.

Thank you, I will try it!
2022-11-8
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Stop the confusion....HLG is NOT HDR...In order to be HDR, you need to embed a HDR container and have HDR data....HLG is just a Hybrid Log Profile, like LOG but with a curve for getting more highlights and leave Darks in place, as LOG is boosting in linear mode.
Is far from HDR and a lot more far from LOG+HDR profile in all that means Dynamic Range.

Cheers.
2022-11-8
Use props
caninelli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 908661 ft
Spain

Looks great. Now that with the most recent update we have the HLG, do you guys prefer to shoot in HLG or D-LOG? Which gives more room for color grading? Is it worth the hassle to keep shooting in D-LOG?
2023-2-28
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

caninelli Posted at 2-28 09:48
Looks great. Now that with the most recent update we have the HLG, do you guys prefer to shoot in HLG or D-LOG? Which gives more room for color grading? Is it worth the hassle to keep shooting in D-LOG?

Hi Caninelli,

I was shooting in D-Log before HLG came out, but I switched to HLG after the HLG firmware update was released. I have an HDR monitor and I find it good enough for my needs to shoot directly in HLG. I think you might get better shadow retention in D-Log as I have heard, but HLG looks good enough for me and I can grade it in post just like D-Log.

Take care, Mike.
2023-2-28
Use props
caninelli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 908661 ft
Spain

Mzp Posted at 2-28 10:15
Hi Caninelli,

I was shooting in D-Log before HLG came out, but I switched to HLG after the HLG firmware update was released. I have an HDR monitor and I find it good enough for my needs to shoot directly in HLG. I think you might get better shadow retention in D-Log as I have heard, but HLG looks good enough for me and I can grade it in post just like D-Log.

Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot for the reply! Can you still use some LUTs with HLG?
2023-2-28
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

caninelli Posted at 2-28 10:54
Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot for the reply! Can you still use some LUTs with HLG?

Sure, you are welcome Caninelli. The thing is HLG is a broadcast ready format , it already has whatever default saturation, contrast , color that DJI / Hasselblad decided to put on it. The LUTs are really made for D-Log or maybe rec.709 normal color profile, I am not sure how well they would work with HLG (i.e. rec.709 cinematic luts for example). Most likely they will cause color shifting and banding. I think the idea of HLG is to use it as a base point and make adjustments manually without applying any LUTs. If you are into LUTs , maybe your best bet is to use D-Log as most of the LUTs out there are for D-Log.

Take care, Mike.
2023-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules