DJI Mini 3 Pro - Canada Thread
7760 35 2022-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

Everything in this post and any replies to it will be specific to Canada and may not apply to other countries. I will use American spelling as it is more accurate to how we pronounce the words.

Drone Specs

Range
We get the longest transmission range as we fall under the "FCC" list!

FCC: United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, and other regions. Max transmission range: 12 km
SRRC: Mainland China. Max transmission range: 8 km
CE: UK, Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Macau, New Zealand, UAE, and other regions. Max transmission range: 8 km
MIC: Japan. Max transmission distance: 8 km

The actual range will probably be much lower anyway. Please post your actual transmission range, conditions, and your region I will add it here.
Mississauga, Ontario: 500 meters

Weather
The official operating temperature range for the Mini 3 Pro -10° to 40° C. We probably do not yet have practical test data on this, but the Mini 2 has been reported to operate in temperatures as low as -20° C. With the reports of the Mini 3 Pro overheating more than the Mini 2 I suspect it will be able to operate at even lower temperatures, but this is just my speculation at the moment. Going below -10° C will likely damage the battery much faster and increase the chances of a crash.

Do not fly when the wind speed exceeds 38 km/hr.

There is no protection from moisture on this drone so snow, rain, and fog are not suitable for flying in. Avoid landing in snow as this drone is designed to put more air through itself than the Mini 2 to cool down.

Keep a closer eye on humidity if you are near:
ON: Kitchener - Waterloo, Peterborough, Hamilton, London, St. Catharines - Niagara, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Kingston, Ottawa, or Toronto
BC: Victoria, Vancouver, Abbotsford, or Kelowna
QC: Quebec City, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, or Montreal
AL: Edmonton or Calgary
NS: Halifax
NB: Moncton or Saint John
SK: Saskatoon or Regina
MB: Winnipeg

Licensing and Registration
You can choose to skip this section if you will only use the "ULTRA LIGHT 249g" 2453 mAh "Intelligent Flight Battery" or will not add any other extra weight to the drone. As of March 2022, you do not have to un-register your drone when it becomes lighter again for it to qualify as a microdrone again.
When it comes to licensing and registration before you fly with the heavier 3850 mAh "Intelligent Flight Battery Plus" you must:

1) Register your drone

You can also (on your own) design and print a cool license plate with your phone number on it in case it gets lost.

2) Have a Basic Operations Pilot's Certificate (unless of course you already have the advanced pilot's certificate)

At this time the Mini 3 Pro is not approved for advanced operations. If this remains the case you will have to follow the basic operations rules even if you have an advanced certificate.

If you want to go for the Advanced Operations Pilot's Certificate this is a cost-effective way I found:
  • Pass both the Basic and Advanced exams following the videos put together by Don Joyce.
  • Get the $250 Flight Review Package from Coastal Drone (the cheapest I found that includes both the prep course and in-person review).

Regulations while flying
This is not a complete list and you should be familiar with the current official info from Transport Canada. I am making this as a quick reference for me and others as far as it pertains to the Mini 3 Pro. The Mini 3 Pro is a powerful tool for aerial content creators in Canada. Unlike our friends south of the border the regulations here change drastically when you plug in that bigger battery (or add any other weight to the drone).

Flying with the Intelligent Flight Battery
To operate the Mini 3 Pro with the "ULTRA LIGHT 249g" 2453 mAh "Intelligent Flight Battery" you must fly your drone:
  • outside of Class F Special Use Restricted Airspace
  • outside of zones where a NOTAM for Forest Fire Aircraft Operating Restrictions has been emitted
  • outside of zones where a 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act restricts the use of airspace to all aircraft has been emitted

You can legally fly as high as you want, outside of the visual line of sight, over advertised events, and within cities. You are still responsible for any accident that your drone may cause. DJI will limit you to a 500 meter altitude. You must still operate in a way that will not make people report you for being dangerous or causing an accident (900.06).

Flying with the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus
To operate the Mini 3 Pro with the heavier 3850 mAh "Intelligent Flight Battery Plus" you must fly your drone:
  • with a physical or digital version of your pilot's certificate on you
  • where you can see it at all times (VLOS)
  • below 122 meters (400 feet) in the air (the DJI Fly app will warn you if you set the altitude limit above 120 meters)
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 meters for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations, advertised events, forest fires, outdoor concerts, and parades
  • 5.6 kilometers (3 nautical miles) away from airports
  • 1.9 kilometers (1 nautical mile) away from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
  • far away from other aircraft including other drones
  • respecting all other Canadian laws that are not drone specific (like privacy and trespassing)

Flying with the DJI RC
The new controller does not require you to use your phone, but as a result, does not have direct access to the internet. Flying within an authorization zone may require a mobile hotspot to send an authorization through. This is just a reminder that this will apply to you in Canada. One of the USB-C ports is for a China-only accessory. The 700 nit display will struggle on sunny days in southern Canada.

Flight Planning
Review important guidelines, discover where you can fly, schedule flights, and request permission to fly in airspace controlled by NAV CANADA all from the palm of your hand. Download NAV Drone on your mobile device, or use the web version for full functionality. You can also upload your pilot's certificate and other documentation through the web version.

Regulations and Guidelines Video Breakdown

Local by-laws
Oshawa: "7.06 Remote-Controlled or other Powered Devices: It shall constitute an offence for any Person, while in any Park, to operate any remote-controlled or other powered devices, including model versions of aircraft, boats, rockets and vehicles, unless permitted in a Designated Area or authorized by Permit.
7.07 Aircraft: It shall constitute an offence for any Person to tether, launch or land any fixed-wing aircraft, helicopter, hot air balloon, hang glider, ultralight aircraft or similar conveyance in any Park, unless authorized by Permit."

Ajax: "No person shall: 2. fly or operate any engine powered airplane, drone, rocket, or any similar type device in a park;"

Whitby: "Permits - Restricted Uses
2.4. While in any park, no person shall organize, arrange, or participate in any of the following activities in a park or park building, unless authorized by the Commissioner or in accordance with a permit/prior authorization to specifically allow for:
2.4.11. flying or operating any engine powered airplane or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV);"

Uxbridge: "Section 3- General conduct
3.1 No person shall:
fly or operate any engine powered airplane, drone, rocket, or any similar type device in a park;"

Pickering: "21. Model Aircraft and Rockets
While in any park, no person shall operate any powered models of aircraft, rockets,
watercraft or vehicles unless authorized by permit."

Footage
Toronto, Ontario

Please let me know if I missed or misinterpreted any important info and I will add it to this list. For example, if you have received your drone please post the firmware version, the range you are able to get for the part of Canada you are in, and anything of note specific to operation within Canada.

2022-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TiberiusMars. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting information that you have posted. These post will be able to help a lot of our DJI Canadian co pilots. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
2022-6-1
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-1 02:52
Hello there TiberiusMars. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting information that you have posted. These post will be able to help a lot of our DJI Canadian co pilots. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.

Thank you DJI Stephen! I do hope there are other Canadian pilots here
2022-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TiberiusMars Posted at 6-1 07:01

Hi there TiberiusMars. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2022-6-2
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

TiberiusMars Posted at 6-1 07:01

Hi TM

Is the Mini 3 equipped with Canadian regulation night flying lights? eg red/green position lights and white strobe. Can you confirm the light requirements for night flying under 250 gram like the Mini 3

Thanks
-Martin
2022-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good info!
2022-6-3
Use props
djiuser_7QtPXnRXiaZD
lvl.1
Canada

This is a great and succinct post, thank you! The recommendation of Don Joyce and Costal Drone is especially appreciated as I'd been thinking about getting the Advanced license.
2022-6-3
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Canada

martindronester Posted at 6-2 21:41
Hi TM

Is the Mini 3 equipped with Canadian regulation night flying lights? eg red/green position lights and white strobe. Can you confirm the light requirements for night flying under 250 gram like the Mini 3

Hi Martin!

Quickly looking through the 2022 AIM I only found this:

"Night operations are permitted in both the basic and advanced
operating environments provided that the RPA is equipped with
position lights sufficient to allow the aircraft to be visible to the
pilot and any visual observer."

The Mini 3 Pro only has about 4 grams to spare before reaching 250g. I found only one type of light that is under 4 grams (if it stays on) if you want to improve the visibility of your microdrone. This is not strictly required by law under 250g. The Mini 3 Pro has 2 lights at the front. These 2 front lights have been reported to turn off while recording (cannot confirm yet). I have not tested it at night yet. Not much flyable weather this week in Vancouver.

If you are already over 250g you should probably use any one of the better heavier drone strobe lights.

Have you come across any specific official rules or guidelines around night lights?
2022-6-3
Use props
Xtropy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12625 ft
Canada

How is everyone’s range in Canada?

In Mississauaga I get poor signal under 500M sometimes. I can’t tell if the drone is in FCC mode or CE mode. One of the reasons I got this drone was for a longer range flight and have never gotten over 1K before the drone loses connection and does a RTH. Lots of videos from Asia with over 4K and disappointed in the range otherwise loving the drone.
2022-6-4
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Have been checking different cities by-laws to see if drones are allowed in city parks.
Many have forbidden drone use in city parks, but some have no mention in their by-laws.
One such example is Markham, and here's the by-laws.
Does it mean I can fly in city parks in Markham (with caution and not around people etc)?
2022-6-4
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

TiberiusMars Posted at 6-3 23:04
Hi Martin!

Quickly looking through the 2022 AIM I only found this:

Hi TM
Are night light requirements in Canada different for drones under 250 grams?
I have found it hard to pinpoint exactly what the requirements are in Canada.  The USA makes it easy, but we have different laws for drones and they seem to make it difficult to find or understand. Guess work maybe...lol

-Martin
2022-6-4
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

martindronester Posted at 6-4 11:25
Hi TM
Are night light requirements in Canada different for drones under 250 grams?
I have found it hard to pinpoint exactly what the requirements are in Canada.  The USA makes it easy, but we have different laws for drones and they seem to make it difficult to find or understand. Guess work maybe...lol

There is no requirement for drones under 250g.

2022-6-4
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

nosnoop Posted at 6-4 20:08
There is no requirement for drones under 250g.

Thanks-Do you have a reference to that?
-M
2022-6-4
Use props
Xtropy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12625 ft
Canada

martindronester Posted at 6-4 23:45
Thanks-Do you have a reference to that?
-M

Regulation 900.06

2022-6-5
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

At what minute mark does he talk about night flight lights exemption?
-M
2022-6-5
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

martindronester Posted at 6-5 14:54
At what minute mark does he talk about night flight lights exemption?
-M

None, because it is not an exemption, rather the night flight regulation does not apply to micro drones.

Check the 2022 AIM.
Under "RPA—REMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT" section (Page 429).
All the regulations related to micro drones mRPAs (<250g) is detailed in Section 2 - Page 429.

Night flight operations is described in Section 3, specifically 3.2.27 (Page 446), and it is ONLY applicable to sRPAs (drones >250g to 25kg)
2022-6-5
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

nosnoop Posted at 6-5 16:55
None, because it is not an exemption, rather the night flight regulation does not apply to micro drones.

Check the 2022 AIM.

Thank you. I had read all that in the past, but thought that maybe I had missed something about the night flying aspect with sub 250 gram drones. Much appreciation for your clarification.
-M
2022-6-5
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Canada

Xtropy Posted at 6-4 02:20

In Mississauaga I get poor signal under 500M sometimes. I can’t tell if the drone is in FCC mode or CE mode. One of the reasons I got this drone was for a longer range flight and have never gotten over 1K before the drone loses connection and does a RTH. Lots of videos from Asia with over 4K and disappointed in the range otherwise loving the drone.

In Vancouver I am getting a much better range. Have not tested it to its limit, but it can do a few kilometers. I haven't changed any connection settings. Taking off from an open area. Using DJI RC. Have not yet encountered any connection issues or dropouts at all.
2022-6-7
Use props
RS-YVR
lvl.1
Canada

Wait, you found a time when it wasn't raining?! My range has been limited to 20m so far due to the rain re-starting, also Vancouver.
2022-6-7
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Canada

RS-YVR Posted at 6-7 22:47
Wait, you found a time when it wasn't raining?! My range has been limited to 20m so far due to the rain re-starting, also Vancouver.

I have found apps like Dronecast and just checking hourly weather (I use Geometric Weather) into the future helpful. I try to have a good margin of time of dry weather and not just an hour of no rain. Btw I sent you a dm with my photo.
2022-6-8
Use props
sttaq
lvl.1
Canada

I just checked bylaws for parks in Durham region and most of them don't allow drone use in parks without mentioning the size of drone. Here are the bylaws that I found for Durham region:

Oshawa -> "7.06 Remote-Controlled or other Powered Devices: It shall constitute an offence for any Person, while in any Park, to operate any remote-controlled or other powered devices, including model versions of aircraft, boats, rockets and vehicles, unless permitted in a Designated Area or authorized by Permit.
7.07 Aircraft: It shall constitute an offence for any Person to tether, launch or land any fixed-wing aircraft, helicopter, hot air balloon, hang glider, ultralight aircraft or similar conveyance in any Park, unless authorized by Permit."
========
Ajax -> "No person shall: 2. fly or operate any engine powered airplane, drone, rocket, or any similar type device in a park;"
========
Whitby -> "Permits - Restricted Uses
2.4. While in any park, no person shall organize, arrange, or participate in any of the following activities in a park or park building, unless authorized by the Commissioner or in accordance with a permit/prior authorization to specifically allow for:
2.4.11. flying or operating any engine powered airplane or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV);"
======
Uxbridge -> "Section 3- General conduct
3.1 No person shall:
fly or operate any engine powered airplane, drone, rocket, or any similar type device in a park;"
=======
Pickering -> "21. Model Aircraft and Rockets
While in any park, no person shall operate any powered models of aircraft, rockets,
watercraft or vehicles unless authorized by permit."
=======

Do these bylaws apply to mini 3?
can I fly my mini3 from outside of the parks and over them?
2022-7-18
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

sttaq Posted at 7-18 21:16
I just checked bylaws for parks in Durham region and most of them don't allow drone use in parks without mentioning the size of drone. Here are the bylaws that I found for Durham region:

Oshawa -> "7.06 Remote-Controlled or other Powered Devices: It shall constitute an offence for any Person, while in any Park, to operate any remote-controlled or other powered devices, including model versions of aircraft, boats, rockets and vehicles, unless permitted in a Designated Area or authorized by Permit.

Yes, these bylaws do apply to Mini 3.
I am also interested to know if take off/land outside the park but fly over the park is ok or not.
2022-7-18
Use props
sttaq
lvl.1
Canada

nosnoop Posted at 7-18 21:37
Yes, these bylaws do apply to Mini 3.
I am also interested to know if take off/land outside the park but fly over the park is ok or not.

I emailed all of the cities above and so far got one response from Whitby:

Hello,

The Parks By-law prohibits flying drones in Town Parks.

I believe all other areas would be governed by Transport Canada regulations. You may need to reach out to Transport Canada for rules/regulations on property outside of Town property.

Thank you.

Enforcement Services Clerk
Legal and Enforcement Services
Town of Whitby
T 905.430.4345

so despite having a clause for permit they are not allowing it.

2022-7-19
Use props
djiuser_AjrSXmGZEpPz
lvl.1

Canada

for my dji mini pro 3, on the drone itself, LED2 and LED3 constantly and the battery not charging, not even able to pair it with the controller
at the begging upon unboxing i could run the firmware update that was stuck at 95% for 4 hours. I had to remove battery and then after putting back on the LED2 and LED3 blink and nothing else happens

if i disconnect the aircraft from the charger and hold down the power button nothing happens , even if i hold it for 5 seconds or do that multiple times, nothing!

this is a new drone
I previously had dji mini 2 and never had this issue!

Any suggestions ?

(sorry folks I donr have enough credit in this forum to make a separate thread for my question )
djjj.jpg
2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_sr0QgKt4NlZ3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3266785 ft
Canada

Thanks so much for this thread for Canadians, TiberiousMars.  Mid Vancouver Island here 72 years old and just upgraded from the Mini 2 to the Mini 3.  Range has been around 1500 metres so far on clear day along the coastline.
2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_we6YEjakPema
lvl.1
Canada

Xtropy Posted at 6-4 02:20

In Mississauaga I get poor signal under 500M sometimes. I can’t tell if the drone is in FCC mode or CE mode. One of the reasons I got this drone was for a longer range flight and have never gotten over 1K before the drone loses connection and does a RTH. Lots of videos from Asia with over 4K and disappointed in the range otherwise loving the drone.

How are you able to see it when it’s further than 500m?
2022-10-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bodkins Best Photography Posted at 10-22 12:29
Sub 250 gram drones don't have the VLOS restriction.  We're not governed by the FAA.

correct, the faa only governs aircraft in the usa.  but you're from canada and since nobody or nothing is free is canada, to whom do you answer to when it comes to sub 250g drones?
2022-10-22
Use props
Lorpal
lvl.1
Canada

Sub 250 gram drones don't have the VLOS restriction.  We're not governed by the FAA.

They are in Canada - specifically states by transport Canada

License not required but you still need to comply with regs
2022-10-23
Use props
Lorpal
lvl.1
Canada

The Saint Posted at 10-22 13:15
correct, the faa only governs aircraft in the usa.  but you're from canada and since nobody or nothing is free is canada, to whom do you answer to when it comes to sub 250g drones?

Transport Canada handles regs up here and all drones unless indoors (like fpv racing) must maintain vlos either by the pilot or a spotter.

Unlike the US - the spotter does not need to be close to the pilot as long as communication is in place.
2022-10-23
Use props
Lorpal
lvl.1
Canada

No but you may want to read up on Transport Canada regs
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/drone-safety/learn-rules-you-fly-your-drone/find-your-category-drone-operation

2022-10-23
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Thank you very much for the information! Next year in July, I am going to Canada with my family to visit relatives on Vancouver Island. I want to take the Mini 3 with me and any advice is worth its weight in gold!
2022-10-23
Use props
Hamlet_67
New
Canada

Just for clarification.  I am a licensed air traffic controller in Canada and hold a valid Private Pilot license.  I also fly a Mini 3 Pro and can say with every confidence that municipalities in Canada do not own the air above them and it is governed by Transport Canada.  Knowing this you can take your drone off from another location and fly it in any park a municipality deems you cannot.  The municipality cannot enforce anything in the air but may be able to fine you if you are physically located in the park while flying your drone.  Check out the following link on where you can fly keeping in mind this is for >250g drones; https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/.  Here is another link for the same info in the OP that  explains all drone rules in Canada including those <250g; https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/drone-safety/learn-rules-you-fly-your-drone/find-your-category-drone-operation#micro-drones.   
2022-12-31
Use props
djiuser_lhRqAID0GDPj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31719 ft
Canada

Hamlet_67 Posted at 2022-12-31 16:02
Just for clarification.  I am a licensed air traffic controller in Canada and hold a valid Private Pilot license.  I also fly a Mini 3 Pro and can say with every confidence that municipalities in Canada do not own the air above them and it is governed by Transport Canada.  Knowing this you can take your drone off from another location and fly it in any park a municipality deems you cannot.  The municipality cannot enforce anything in the air but may be able to fine you if you are physically located in the park while flying your drone.  Check out the following link on where you can fly keeping in mind this is for >250g drones; https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/.  Here is another link for the same info in the OP that  explains all drone rules in Canada including those

True that. Nobody other than Transport Canada can dictate where you can and cannot fly your drone, no more than Bob can decide to stop airplanes from flying over his house. The only thing anyone other than TC can do is rule against taking off and landing on their property.
2023-2-25
Use props
ShadowyMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48392 ft
Canada

Hamlet_67 Posted at 2022-12-31 16:02
Just for clarification.  I am a licensed air traffic controller in Canada and hold a valid Private Pilot license.  I also fly a Mini 3 Pro and can say with every confidence that municipalities in Canada do not own the air above them and it is governed by Transport Canada.  Knowing this you can take your drone off from another location and fly it in any park a municipality deems you cannot.  The municipality cannot enforce anything in the air but may be able to fine you if you are physically located in the park while flying your drone.  Check out the following link on where you can fly keeping in mind this is for >250g drones; https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/.  Here is another link for the same info in the OP that  explains all drone rules in Canada including those

That's the key - take off in another location and then fly in the park.

Interestingly, the GVRD here in Vancouver told me that when I wrote into ask about their rules around launching drones in their parks. Launching inside the park boundaries risks a fine.

There was also the usual "in a safe and respectful manner" language as well.
2023-2-26
Use props
Liptux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1024 ft
Germany

We're planning our parental leave trip to canada atm and want to take our Mini 3 pro with us (intelligent fly battery ;) )

While searching I found the "NAV CANADA - NAV DRONE" app. (Thread opener also mentioned this)

In this app you can customize what drone you want to fly and the app will tell you if you are allowed to fly the drone (and if a licence is needed).

Not sure if this app is available for Android. I installed it on iPhone.
2023-3-2
Use props
Jayson Allen
lvl.1
Canada

Thread revival! Here's a good one for you..
I believe us Canadians are required to fly in atti mode at some point during the flight review so my question is, how is this possible with <250g Dji mini pro?
2023-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules