The sun is so bright!
1709 8 2022-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyntm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21929 ft
United States

This probably falls into the dumb question category, but when the sun is out, I can barely see my phone screen.  I have a sunscreen which helps a little and I turn the phone screen brightness up to the max. If it matters, I'm flying a Mavic Air 2 using an iPhone 11. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
2022-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there flyntm. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for these information you have given. You may try checking the DJI RC-N1 Remote Controller Monitor Hood ( https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... roller-monitor-hood ) found on the DJI online store as well. The DJI RC-N1 Remote Controller Monitor Hood protects the smartphone screen in strong lighting conditions, reduces glare, and provides a clear image. Thank you.

2022-6-1
Use props
flyntm
lvl.1
United States

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post.  I have one of these and it helps a little, but even with it, I can barely see the screen.
Thanks for your response.
2022-6-2
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same problem with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro Max and as with any other phone whenever you use the Dji Fly App it over heats your phone as you can feel it on the back and then it begins to darken it’s screen even though it may be at peak brightness. How I have dealt with this issue is by turning on airplane mode as that really helps with not over heating my phone’s system thus not darkening its screen making it hard to see. However, if you don’t want to turn on airplane mode for any reason their are 1,000$ dollar remotes you could buy that Dji sells that specialize in that department if this helps.
2022-6-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you disable charging the phone,   having charging turned on speeds up the phone getting hot and thus dimming the screen faster.
2022-6-2
Use props
flyntm
lvl.1
United States

Thanks "Captain" . I didn't know that, but I have not been using phone charging,
2022-6-3
Use props
flyntm
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Fred Fred Fred...  I was presuming that WiFi was being used but after a little research, I guess not.  I'll try that next time I fly.
2022-6-3
Use props
flyntm
lvl.1
United States

In case anybody else has the same question, I did find a few things that help with phone screen visibility in the bright sun.

1) The screen "sun hood" and a big-brimmed hat with the sun at my back. (Well duh...)
2) Set the screen brightness to maximum.
3) An anti-glare screen protector on the phone screen.
4) On an iPhone, go to Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size>Color Filters>Blue Yellow, Set the Intensity. to the maximum.
5) In the Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size menu, turn on the Reduce Transparency and Increase Contrast switches.

I did these one at a time and each one seemed to help a bit, bit it's still not ideal.
6) I also put the phone in the "airplane" mode and disabled phone charging as was suggested to keep the phone from getting hot, but I could not tell any difference.  This could be because I didn't fly long enough for the phone to heat up.

Thanks to everyone for their help and I hope this helps somebody, somewhere, sometime.
2022-6-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Screen brightness is measured in NITS, the higher the better.
However, screen shape is also most important.
When I bought my Samsung S9+ it had the highest screen brightness at the time. The curved screen edges made the image les visible,  even with the sunlight booster at max brightness.
I was forced to continue using my very old Samsung J7.
You may notice that Apple products have (generally) considerably lower NITS than Samsung, although Apple is a better product, generally.
2022-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules