738 5 2022-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

Complete and Total Victory!

OK, maybe that’s a little bit of an exaggeration, but not a lot. I got in a solid five minutes of Manual mode time. It would have been a little longer if I hadn’t hit the Brake to get into Normal mode, when a fixed-wing was approaching, because I wanted to be able to descend to my lowest safe altitude without worrying about control issues. When the plane had passed, I went back into Manual mode.

I decided early on that I was going to consider Manual mode to be a completely different aircraft, that just happens to inhabit the same body as N/S mode. Schizophrenia? Demonic possession? Something in that direction, but that approach helps.

I found an altitude control technique which really seems to work for me. Of course, YMMV. I’ve re-programmed my internal processing to using the left stick to control rate of climb, either positive or negative. You get a constant read-out of that…your vertical speed…displayed in the goggles just above the “Height” indication. I don’t even think of the left stick as the “throttle” anymore; it’s my mechanism for controlling my rate of climb. As a side benefit, this approach makes landing in Normal mode, with the friction lock in effect, trivially easy.

One dimension down, two to go…

There’s something about the lateral…forward/back, and side-to-side…control mechanism that I’m just not seeing yet. But I may have just now seen part of it! In a regular airplane, bank provides most of the real force needed for turning. You only make “pure rudder” turns when you don’t want to turn very much. In N/S mode, moving the right stick right or left, moves the drone right or left. In Manual mode, it doesn’t do that. It just inputs the roll motion.

It is very weird to be flying along with the drone banked 30º - 45º to the horizon, and yet moving mostly in the direction that I want. I’ve got some good footage to show that now, which I’ll edit hopefully soon. Weirder still is that I usually correct for aesthetic reasons, rather than for explicit control reasons.

I’m very seriously considering stiffening up the right control stick a bit as well. As it is, the pitch angle seems to naturally fall into a slight upward tilt, which produces a slight backwards motion, if I don’t monitor it closely. That’s the key control failure on my part that caused yesterday’s crash. Perhaps stiffening the right stick a bit will help with that.

I also got a sharp insight into a seriously WTF triggering condition, that I saw on the second flight, but didn’t have time to understand. Any non-trivial change in either pitch or power makes the view from the camera go whacko. This can be seriously disconcerting. So, I’ve started to pay more attention to active gimbal trim at all times. I’m not very good at it yet, but I’m way better at it than I was an hour ago!

It's sort of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head and scratching your butt, all at the same time…

When the low battery warning came on, I cancelled it and flew a little more in Manual, and then switched to Normal for the landing. Which, with my new and improved understanding of what vertical movement of the left stick actually does, was essentially a spot landing, within 6” of my take-off point.

I really wanted to do some Sim time before going to Manual, but I don’t think the lack of it has really hampered me much. If I had been flying in a level, wide-open field, my crash yesterday wouldn’t have happened. YMMV. If you commit to having a quick trigger finger on the Brake button, and commit to actually using it within the first few seconds of your first few flights, you might be fine, as I was. If you have convenient access to a Sim, use it a bit before going to Manual. If you don’t have convenient access to a Sim, as I don’t 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[/img]

2022-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Chaosrider. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-6-2
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-2 20:17
Hello there Chaosrider. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

What sometimes causes my posts to mutate into those weird character strings at the end?

Is there a way to prevent that?

Thx,

TCS
2022-6-3
Use props
djiuser_U3aIgxtVwsLC
lvl.1
United States

Hello,  can you elaborate on how you changed the internal processing of the left stick?
2022-6-5
Use props
RH009
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2234616 ft
United States

djiuser_U3aIgxtVwsLC Posted at 6-5 06:25
Hello,  can you elaborate on how you changed the internal processing of the left stick?

Here's a tutorial on how to adjust the sticks. I hope this answers your question.

https://youtu.be/DbdzqxvYwrw
2022-6-5
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_U3aIgxtVwsLC Posted at 6-5 06:25
Hello,  can you elaborate on how you changed the internal processing of the left stick?

I may have been misleading.

I changed the way my brain internally processes what the stick is doing, not the way the stick itself works!

:-)

TCS
2022-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules