4385 41 2022-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8f487c1d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238747 ft
Canada

Hi all,

Just got my Mini 3 Pro and took it for a first test flight yesterday.

I seem to notice lens vignetting in 12mp photos, but strangely, not in 48mp photos. I'm using LIghtroom 6.

Has anyone else seen this?

I've attached two samples. All I did was take a test photo, then switch to 48mp mode and retake the photo. Same ISO and shutter speed. They have been resized to be small enought to upload, but the originals are 12mp and 48mp. Both were shot in DNG format.

48 megapixel

48 megapixel

12 megapixel

12 megapixel

2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hard to tell if there is any with this kind of shot.
Maybe try a grey something to get a good view of what's going on.
2022-6-3
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think the whole image is darker and it's simply the scene that's making it look like vignetting.

edit: I see you've seen the other thread
2022-6-3
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

Hi,
I have the same problem (as you noticed in the other thread).
And I believe you're right, the 12mp photos seem to have a REALLY strong vignetting.
I tried in Lightroom and Capture One, and I have to apply a +75 correction to get rid of that vignetting  and have a similar image to the 48mp photos.
I don't know what's wrong and if DJI can fix that in a firmware update.
I can't understand why the 12mp DNG files get such a strong vignetting/darkening once imported in Lightroom (or any other image editor).
2022-6-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. We will forward this to our designated team for their attention and clarification. We will keep you posted once we receive an update. Thank you for your valued support!
2022-6-4
Use props
fans8f487c1d
lvl.2
Canada

I decided to do a test against a pretty plain wall to see if it's actually vignetting or overall darkening. Thanks @Montfrooij for the suggestion. It's clear that it's vingetting.

Here are four samples. Same settings except white balance might have been on auto. But iso100, shutter speed 640.

The 12mp DNG shows a severe vignette. The 12mp jpg does not. Both 48mp photos have no vignette.

This is unacceptable. I'm going to return this drone if this can't be fixed quickly.

2022-6-5
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Vignetting at wide apertures is very common, even in expensive professional camera lenses. Its just the nature of beast when dealing wide open. Easily corrected in photoshop.
2022-6-5
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Only a temp fix, I took the lens hood off. This reduced greatly the amount of vignetting with RAW files.
2022-6-5
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

fans8f487c1d Posted at 6-5 10:20
I decided to do a test against a pretty plain wall to see if it's actually vignetting or overall darkening. Thanks @Montfrooij for the suggestion. It's clear that it's vingetting.

Here are four samples. Same settings except white balance might have been on auto. But iso100, shutter speed 640.

Hi,
On the thread I started DJI Thor asked for DNGs and JPEGs to send them to the engineers.
You should give yours to them too.
2022-6-6
Use props
fans8f487c1d
lvl.2
Canada

neodraig Posted at 6-6 02:04
Hi,
On the thread I started DJI Thor asked for DNGs and JPEGs to send them to the engineers.
You should give yours to them too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted a link.
2022-6-6
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft
  • >>>
Canada

We put the Mini 3 Pro up today to capture some comparison DNG shots for more study of the vignetting issue.
From the identical location we shot:
Lens hood on:
48MP Auto
48MP Manual
12MP Auto
12MP Manual
Lens hood off:
48MP Auto
48MP Manual
12MP Auto
12MP Manual
Then we labeled each image and imported to Lightroom.
The vignetting issue is so profound! Images 3,4,8,9 are all 12MP.
2022-6-8
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

DroneNewsGuy Posted at 6-8 05:55
We put the Mini 3 Pro up today to capture some comparison DNG shots for more study of the vignetting issue.
Lens hood on:

Yep, it's pretty bad. I reached out to DJI support and they offered to replace my Mini 3 Pro, but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble if they all exhibit the same problem. I don't see any widespread posting of users yet taking about it. Can't believe DJI didn't notice this if it's all the units showing it.
2022-6-8
Use props
Meuhbat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225210 ft
France

If that was the true raw image from the sensor due to lens characteristics, it would appear in 48MP raw also, right ? why would they post process the 48mp to correct it but not the 12mp ? and the video would require a live correction also ? There is maybe a software issue with the 12mp raw and the lens correction is not properly applied ?With post-processing to lift the shadows and balance the histogram it is possible to hide the vignetting quite well but I don't manage to reproduce the dji jpg rendition in the corners and sides

To add an exemple, left is DNG without any correction and right is JPG straight from the drone. I have other images, the center appears quite brighter. But the DJI processing does a good job in the corners so I hope they can improve the 12mp raw as well ?

ex1.jpg
2022-6-8
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

Meuhbat Posted at 6-8 10:48
If that was the true raw image from the sensor due to lens characteristics, it would appear in 48MP raw also, right ? why would they post process the 48mp to correct it but not the 12mp ? and the video would require a live correction also ? There is maybe a software issue with the 12mp raw and the lens correction is not properly applied ?With post-processing to lift the shadows and balance the histogram it is possible to hide the vignetting quite well but I don't manage to reproduce the dji jpg rendition in the corners and sides

"If that was the true raw image from the sensor due to lens characteristics, it would appear in 48MP raw also, right ?"

I wondered the same thing. If the lens actually vignettes, the drone's software is correcting everything except for 12mp DNG, which seems weird to me.

And did you notice, that on Windows, the thumbnail of the DNG files in Windows Explorer is normal? No vignette. The vignette only appears after you open the file in Lightroom or whatever.
2022-6-8
Use props
Chorge1972
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1361499 ft
Germany

Mine shows heavy vignetting at 12MP, too - and none as well at 48. DNGs in LR.
My temporary Trick until DJI solves this, is to apply the lense profile for the Phantom 4 in LR! Put the vignetting slider of that profile a bit more to the right side, and it’s fixed! Way better than with the standard vignetting correction…
2022-6-8
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Lightroom 6?
Its possible the ancient (2015) version of lightroom isn't reading the embedded lens profile from the DNG.
2022-6-8
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 6-8 14:39
Lightroom 6?
Its possible the ancient (2015) version of lightroom isn't reading the embedded lens profile from the DNG.

Who you calling ancient?

I suppose it's possible, but other people seem to be reporting the same issue in Photoshop, Capture 1 and other versions of Lightroom. And I don't see why it wouldn't read the lens profile with 12mp DNG files, but reads it just fine with JPG and 48mp DNG.

I posted some original files here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... Gp-Xd3K?usp=sharing

Do you have a recent LIghtroom version? It would be great if you checked my files in yours.

Thanks.
2022-6-8
Use props
astroprojector
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1319902 ft
  • >>>
United States

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 6-5 17:45
Vignetting at wide apertures is very common, even in expensive professional camera lenses. Its just the nature of beast when dealing wide open. Easily corrected in photoshop.

No this pronounced. It is definitely an issue.
2022-6-9
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

astroprojector Posted at 6-9 11:15
No this pronounced. It is definitely an issue.

Also why does it ONLY show on the 12MP DNGs and not on any other formats.
I believe it's a software problem as if it was really a wide aperture issue the problem would it be visible in all the other photo/video modes as well.
2022-6-9
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

vdefilippo Posted at 6-8 17:05
Who you calling ancient?

I suppose it's possible, but other people seem to be reporting the same issue in Photoshop, Capture 1 and other versions of Lightroom. And I don't see why it wouldn't read the lens profile with 12mp DNG files, but reads it just fine with JPG and 48mp DNG.

I tested your files with the last version of Lightroom Classic, and just like my 12mp photos, before importing (in the preview thumbnails of Lightroom) the photo looks correct, but once imported a big vignetting is applied (for a second you can see that the photo is displayed as it should be, and a second later it gets completely darkened).
And again the 48mp file doesn't exhibit that problem and looks the same before and after importation (so without vignetting/darkening).
2022-6-9
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It looks like they may have messed up the lens profile corrected in the embedded DNG on the 12mp image.
The reason it appears OK then changes it because the DNG preview is based on the JPG until Lightroom has rendered.
2022-6-9
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 6-9 14:39
It looks like they may have messed up the lens profile corrected in the embedded DNG on the 12mp image.
The reason it appears OK then changes it because the DNG preview is based on the JPG until Lightroom has rendered.

Sure hope it's a simple fix. It would be way better if it were just this and not a hardware problem.
2022-6-9
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

neodraig Posted at 6-9 14:03
I tested your files with the last version of Lightroom Classic, and just like my 12mp photos, before importing (in the preview thumbnails of Lightroom) the photo looks correct, but once imported a big vignetting is applied (for a second you can see that the photo is displayed as it should be, and a second later it gets completely darkened).
And again the 48mp file doesn't exhibit that problem and looks the same before and after importation (so without vignetting/darkening).

Thanks for testing it out.
2022-6-9
Use props
StuartR1953
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8084 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem with the 12MP RAWs but just to mention that opening the files in Luminar AI shows the same issue so it's not a specific Adobe problem.
2022-6-18
Use props
vdefilippo
lvl.2
Canada

Good to know. Thanks for testing.
2022-6-19
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

DroneNewsGuy Posted at 6-8 05:55
Lens hood on:

I am not sure i have the same results. i have done several 360 panos and on none of them i had issues with vignetting. I just checked the raw files and not sure i have this issue. and yesterday did one test and still cannot notice type of issue. Here are som shots from vertical dngs in both lightroom and photoshop and one 180 pano raw files preview in lightroom. At least i don't notice any obvious vignetting.

2022-6-19
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Agree and support the assessment that 12MP DNG s have no vignette correction, and they should have.
This is a big issue for me as I do aerial 360s and these are really hard/painful to fix when working with DNG raw material.
2022-6-21
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

Duplicate post
2022-6-21
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Duplicate post
2022-6-21
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

C'mon, DJI - please sort this out. The drone is amazing, but this really takes the shine off it. Pleeeease?
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dont have any idea what Vignetting is and dont care. Why not try and look at the overall picture rather than worry about such tiny insignificant things
2022-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 07:48
Dont have any idea what Vignetting is and dont care. Why not try and look at the overall picture rather than worry about such tiny insignificant things

Its like driving your car and only being able to see whats in front of you. But I suppose looking at the whole picture as long as you don’t have to go left or right you’ll be fine…
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-21 08:01
Its like driving your car and only being able to see whats in front of you. But I suppose looking at the whole picture as long as you don’t have to go left or right you’ll be fine…

As I said I don't care and the pics originally posted looked perfectly fine to me
2022-6-21
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 07:48

Translated:

"Don't understand it. Don't care what it is. Not prepared to learn."
2022-6-21
Use props
fans6317ff2d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85177 ft
United Kingdom

Has there been any updates on this? My interest is in 360° panorama. I choose to use RAW files so I can adjust settings in ACR before stitching in PTGui. The whole point of purchasing PTGui is to have seamless transitions between adjacent frames, only to have this horrendous banding, due to the lack of vignette correction for RAW files. The jpg version of course does not have such banding, but the stitching is far from perfect.
2022-7-20
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

fans6317ff2d Posted at 7-20 16:06
Has there been any updates on this? My interest is in 360° panorama. I choose to use RAW files so I can adjust settings in ACR before stitching in PTGui. The whole point of purchasing PTGui is to have seamless transitions between adjacent frames, only to have this horrendous banding, due to the lack of vignette correction for RAW files. The jpg version of course does not have such banding, but the stitching is far from perfect.

Last FW (7/1/22) update had this fix in the notes "Optimized the vignetting effect in DNG photos." , and I believe some users have reported the vignetting problem to be gone when they stitched panoramic images from RAW files
2022-7-21
Use props
fans6317ff2d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Last edited by fans6317ff2d In 2022-7-21 22:29 Editor [Q==[/img]Hmm that's interesting. I was still having the issue on 18/7/2022. FW  01.00.0201 is the version I have, which is supposed to have optimised  DNG vignetting, as you say, but as you can see, it doesn't work

PANO0001-Panoramasmaller.jpg
2022-7-21
Use props
fans6317ff2d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hmm that's interesting. I was still having the issue on 18/7/2022. FW  01.00.0201 is the version I have, which is supposed to have optimised  DNG vignetting, as you say, but as you can see, it doesn't work
2022-7-21
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

fans6317ff2d Posted at 7-21 22:29
Hmm that's interesting. I was still having the issue on 18/7/2022. FW  01.00.0201 is the version I have, which is supposed to have optimised  DNG vignetting, as you say, but as you can see, it doesn't work

That is weird indeed, might suggest trying to reinstall the FW , using the DJ assistant 2,  just to make sure it was installed properly. I have the FW same as you FW  01.00.0201

https://www.dji.com/fi/downloads/softwares/dji-assistant-2-consumer-drones-series

Took this picture yesterday, 3 vertical shots stitched to make a panorama and it has zero banding problems. I can confirm that most of the vertical shot panoramas I've taken prior to the FW update did indeed have the same banding problem which can be seen in your image

2022-7-22
Use props
fans6317ff2d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yazu Posted at 7-22 02:07
That is weird indeed, might suggest trying to reinstall the FW , using the DJ assistant 2,  just to make sure it was installed properly. I have the FW same as you FW  01.00.0201

https://www.dji.com/fi/downloads/softwares/dji-assistant-2-consumer-drones-series

I'll do that, will try and test it out over the weekend.

Just to confirm, you are taking 12MP RAW frames and not 48MP?

Also, nice pic, how did you manage to control the glare of the sun so well? Admittedly mine was take about an hour after sunrise  (it was a quick stop off at Blackheath on my way back from Tower Bridge) and I was hoping to adjust in post, hence the use of DNG. I have some Freewell ND filters arriving this coming week from the US, which I hope will give me more options, going forward.

By the way, it took me about 10 attempt to post those replies above, my pic was too big and the text was all messed up when I had the pic in the post, so had to separate. It was after a long nightshift, so maybe that was the issue
2022-7-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules