Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Auto focus issue with mini 3
1234Next >
36953 128 2022-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zhen Han
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14501 ft
Canada

Autofocus doesn't seem to focus correctly.
Is there a way to calibrate the focus?

Only manual focus seem to work and it looks like the focus is reversed. When dialing it to close up the infinity is in focus and vice versa.

The firmware have been updated and everything else have been calibrated multiple times.
2022-6-4
Use props
fans4e3754f3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 835663 ft
Austria

Same here, first flight, latest firmware!
2022-6-5
Use props
djiuser_SCxk18gWEmpU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3186 ft
United States

Yes, ditto!  AF seems fully borked for me.  Doing a half-press on the camera shutter brings it in focus briefly before it fuzzes as I take a pic.  Need another flight to confirm, but might be opening a support case.
2022-6-6
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

I often have a hard time focussing when taking top down photos. I always have to try several times before it manages to focus.
2022-6-6
Use props
Velding
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

Same here!

2022-6-7
Use props
Velding
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

Same for me. In flight it is searching for focus but it misses every time! Manual focus works  but that is not what i want. In mastershots everything is blurry.
After another test it is exactly what is written above.. "Doing a half-press on the camera shutter brings it in focus briefly before it fuzzes as I take a pic."  
IMG_7856.jpg
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_q2pxnlIryN6w
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just received my mini 3 pro today did the new firmware update and yup the A/F went wonky . Tap to focus and it briefly focused sharp then instant fuss .
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_q2pxnlIryN6w
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

BTW I also noticed that after the update when I choose reset camera parameters and it says aircraft with restart it won't restart the drone.  
2022-6-7
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

So, I've noticed it seems much worse in video mode vs straight camera mode.  In video, even manual focus at infinity, it's not in focus.  I will try to get a support request in.  Please everyone with this issue do the same... hopefully a software fix.
2022-6-7
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Embrik Posted at 6-7 17:54
So, I've noticed it seems much worse in video mode vs straight camera mode.  In video, even manual focus at infinity, it's not in focus.  I will try to get a support request in.  Please everyone with this issue do the same... hopefully a software fix.

I don't believe is a software as we have and works.
I believe you have a DOA case.
Camera defocusing is an error from inside camera I am afraid.
Reversed manual focus can be software, but autofocus degrading in flight is not soft.
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_q2pxnlIryN6w
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-7 19:34
I don't believe is a software as we have and works.
I believe you have a DOA case.
Camera defocusing is an error from inside camera I am afraid.

IDK I'm seeing a few YouTube videos showing this same issue after the last update. The tap to focus seems to be the issue on some units
2022-6-7
Use props
fans4e3754f3
lvl.1
Austria

Support offers: I have to send it in,...
2022-6-8
Use props
djiuser_Ir10FFOrEdZ1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same issues here:

I did a few test flights from a friend's garden yesterday to get a feel for the drone.  No issues with flight.
But reviewing and downloading the video images I'd taken, they come out incredibly blurred.  
Here's what I did/settings used for photo:
✅ Relibrated the gimbal (just in case)
✅ Reset camera settings (just in case)
✅ Set photos to be 48 JPEG (but did try without this too)
✅ AF Mode (but tried others too)
✅ AEB
✅ Taken images directly from drone
✅ Tapped on screen to focus on area

As you can see from the two photos, they are very blurred.  I tried a variety of setting changes within the AF/MF and then into advanced but the focus just did not change even after landing, resetting and trying again.   
The photos are 16.5MB and 4.5MB in size, the thumbnails in the DJI app look blurry too, but then it also looked blurry on my RC control.  Image quality is just as blurry with videos.
2022-6-8
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

Grabbed a video last night, the autofocus image is painfully obvious in it.  I've uploaded it and linked it to a new support case.  We'll see what we get.  I'll keep this thread updated.
2022-6-8
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

So, cautiously optimistic...
Just got done chatting with support, here's what they had me do that (so far) seems to have resolved the focus.  Still need another flight or two to call it good.
Download the DJI Assistant 2 PC app and launch it (not sure if you need to log into it, I did)
Connect the RC Controller via USB, click on the DJI RC in the device list.  You'll see the version listed and it'll show current.  Regardless, click "Refresh" which will reinstall the software to the controller.  After it was done, I power-cycled the controller, unplugged and fired up the drone.
I had to re-link the drone, it didn't autoconnect right after (guessing a side-effect of the reload).  Once I did, focus was back to normal.  For good measure, I additionally did a gimbal calibration at support's recommendation as well as the "Reset Camera Settings".

I could already tell autofocus was behaving better, and a quick flight confirmed it.  Going to get out later today to see if subsequent flights are normal, I'll keep the thread updated, but hopefully this helps someone else. (And hopefully it stays in line!)

2022-6-8
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

Embrik Posted at 6-8 13:06
Just got done chatting with support, here's what they had me do that (so far) seems to have resolved the focus.  Still need another flight or two to call it good.
Download the DJI Assistant 2 PC app and launch it (not sure if you need to log into it, I did)

And back to garbage on flight #2... So back to my support case.
2022-6-8
Use props
djiuser_Ir10FFOrEdZ1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Embrik Posted at 6-8 13:06

Thanks for the update. This is what they suggested to me too.  Only problem is, I have a Mac!

Awaiting further instructions from them otherwise I might see if any friends of mine have windows!

Glad it's looking better for you!
2022-6-8
Use props
djiuser_Ir10FFOrEdZ1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Embrik Posted at 6-8 16:09
And back to garbage on flight #2... So back to my support case.

Oh! Missed that you posted this! That's a shame
2022-6-8
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_Ir10FFOrEdZ1 Posted at 6-8 22:36
Oh! Missed that you posted this! That's a shame

Yep, sure is.  Talked again with support and will be getting the drone replaced, unfortunately.  I'd suggest anyone else with the issue contact support.
2022-6-9
Use props
tsrini408
lvl.2
Netherlands

The fuzzy auto-focus gremlin has hit my mini 3 pro just after I set everything up for normal ops. Hope there is a software fix for the sake of people like me who have imported it into a country with little or no DJI support.
2022-6-10
Use props
djiuser_mpTgr35rQRmJ
lvl.1
United States

Im having same issue. Did the unboxing and updated the firmware. First flight camera is completely out of focus, I have contacted DJI Support and I got email yesterday asking for pictures, firmware version for both RC controller and Drone.
2022-6-12
Use props
fansbaa49043
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14501 ft
Canada

Just to update, I had to send it to DJI for repairs.
They did not specify if this is a software or hardware issue.
2022-6-14
Use props
fansfe650ddd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 745499 ft
Sweden

Just to confirm I am experiencing the the same
problem while in video mode. Mastershots was unusable. I have opened a case with Customer support.
2022-6-16
Use props
djiuser_guZwO8ulFMPW
lvl.1

Norway

Yep also problem here ugh-..
2022-6-16
Use props
Phlonge
lvl.1
Austria

It is the hardware! The/A 7in1 flatcable was mounted wrong (sayed the repaircenter),…
2022-6-16
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

Update for all, I received my replacement which works great!  The tech called me to tell me the one I shipped in was definitely faulty, hence the brand new replacement.  Was happy that he acknowledged I wasn't crazy!  I think that pretty much confirms it was a hardware fault.
2022-6-17
Use props
djiuser_guZwO8ulFMPW
lvl.1

Norway

Embrik Posted at 6-17 05:18
Update for all, I received my replacement which works great!  The tech called me to tell me the one I shipped in was definitely faulty, hence the brand new replacement.  Was happy that he acknowledged I wasn't crazy!  I think that pretty much confirms it was a hardware fault.

does it focus fast ?
2022-6-17
Use props
djiuser_ZyENukPFbogE
lvl.1

United States

I had the same issue, I tried it all. New firmware, learning to manual focus. The best I did was I got lucky for a few flights where I could trick the camera to focus initially, but I would fly back blind...

I flicked the camera hard enough that the lens cover popped off. It's in perfect focus now. Maybe the quad was dropped in shipment and the zoom was popped into a bad position.

Just give it a big whack!
2022-6-17
Use props
tvarad
lvl.2
India

djiuser_ZyENukPFbogE Posted at 6-17 13:48
I had the same issue, I tried it all. New firmware, learning to manual focus. The best I did was I got lucky for a few flights where I could trick the camera to focus initially, but I would fly back blind...

I flicked the camera hard enough that the lens cover popped off. It's in perfect focus now. Maybe the quad was dropped in shipment and the zoom was popped into a bad position.

I did give the camera a couple of light flicks with my finger before reading your post but no luck. I’ll try the rough treatment and see how it goes. HAHa!
2022-6-17
Use props
fansfe650ddd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 745499 ft
Sweden

I am actually amazed at how bad their customer service is. They are slow to deal with problem. I've been waiting days for them to send me shipping labels by email.
2022-6-19
Use props
RonnieRocket
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansfe650ddd Posted at 6-19 02:43
I am actually amazed at how bad their customer service is. They are slow to deal with problem. I've been waiting days for them to send me shipping labels by email.

I've had a terrible experience with them too - just round and round in circles with support despite me saying I'd already done everything requested, only for them to lose the tickets.

They then said it would be quicker to fix it remotely with their instructions, which added 4 more days only to as expected, find that none of that worked and it's eaten into the replacement/repair time it could have been having.

Very poor service so far
2022-6-20
Use props
djiuser_9HLBkzIeVvEY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4977448 ft
Australia

I have also seen this.
2022-6-20
Use props
djiuser_gmrwbYZYypU2
New
Germany

Phlonge Posted at 6-16 22:52
It is the hardware! The/A 7in1 flatcable was mounted wrong (sayed the repaircenter),…

Did you receive your drone back? My drone is in the repair Center and they say the same. I‘m afraid that the drone is working after changing a cable.
2022-6-27
Use props
fansf498b5b6
lvl.1

United States

Embrik Posted at 6-17 05:18
Update for all, I received my replacement which works great!  The tech called me to tell me the one I shipped in was definitely faulty, hence the brand new replacement.  Was happy that he acknowledged I wasn't crazy!  I think that pretty much confirms it was a hardware fault.

how long was the process of getting the replacement?  I might just return mine to Amazon.  Got the same issue out of the box
2022-7-1
Use props
Embrik
lvl.2
United States

fansf498b5b6 Posted at 7-1 16:16
how long was the process of getting the replacement?  I might just return mine to Amazon.  Got the same issue out of the box

Once I made it through the tech support process, took a day to get the prepaid label, 2 days to make it back to them and another 2 days to get the replacement.
2022-7-4
Use props
ken1403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13719016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Embrik Posted at 7-4 10:29
Once I made it through the tech support process, took a day to get the prepaid label, 2 days to make it back to them and another 2 days to get the replacement.

I to had the autofocus not working and sent mine in for replacement. Am now waiting for the new unit to be shipped. Tomorrow i hope as it was approved for replacement.
2022-7-4
Use props
baybay11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 237562 ft
United States

Embrik Posted at 6-9 07:11
Yep, sure is.  Talked again with support and will be getting the drone replaced, unfortunately.  I'd suggest anyone else with the issue contact support.

whats there eta for a drone to get to you? its seeming like im going to have to send my drone back because of the violent shaking/vibrating that goes on with the gimbal when im flying/recording! very sad i cant use it for a little bit
2022-7-5
Use props
djiuser_GU0Z9kxlC9aV
lvl.1
New Zealand

I too seem to be having problems with AF. It's not the extreme blurring some people get but using 4K the image at 100% seems to me to be well below what I would expect. I have two pairs of images, the first of each pair is a 100% scale screenshot of the clip with the mini 3 in the air but stationary on a very bright calm day. The second of each pair I add some contrast but nothing else. I would appreciate any feedback if my expectations are just too high.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u457i-c1PQ7qin00Tg_h5RZ_UcDur8Yp?usp=sharing

A few more images here in which I did tap the center of the screen. It is perhaps slightly better but not much.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ufsy35XWgg2CiFQCRSQn3YLzpNQ67AnI?usp=sharing
I have done all of the two sets of recent updates.

Cheers Andrew from NZ

2022-7-6
Use props
fans36abe638
New
Canada

I am not sure if I have the same problem. I checked all my videos I have taken and photos. They are Sharp... today I was trying to test out the wide angle lens. when I press the focus.. it went into focus and than just out of focus, but when I went into Manuel Focus than I was able to do it . INDOOR and NOT FLYING.
but I did a Quickshot a day earlier, and it was fine too. (we have a rain unstable weather coming in this week so I won't able to test it out again til Sat.)
Hopefully it's just I am too close to the subject.

Michael from Toronto,Canada
2022-7-18
Use props
Monkey Station
lvl.2
Flight distance : 304944 ft
Singapore

For me this happened after updating to the v01.00.0201 firmware, which does have a new continuous auto focus mode. Before it was just "landscape" or manual focus and after it adds the auto focus option.
My shots just went blurry and couldn't get the sharpness I had before. So I downgraded the firmware back to the previous version and now everything seems fine again.
2022-7-18
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules