Mavic Pro Platinum Failure to Bind with Controller
3436 19 2022-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

I purchased this Mavic Pro a few months ago and have only flown it a few times since acquiring it from eBay.  There were no issues with this drone in the past but now suddenly I haven't been able to get the drone to bind with its own controller that used to work flawlessly.  There have been no crashes or hard landings with this drone, so it is baffling as to why this binding problem would suddenly appear.  I followed both of the two alternate binding instructions in this video but the binding process continues to fail.

Any advice as to how I can restore the bind between this Mavic Pro Platinum and its controller would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
2022-6-4
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

Is it possible that DJI Mavic Pro owners are being forced to carry out updates on their drones and controllers by making those updates a prerequisite for the continued connectivity between their drones and controllers to be maintained?  I only use Litchi and never DJI Go4, because of Litchi's superior waypoint capabilities, but also because I have zero interest in carrying out updates since I firmly believe that " If it ain't broke, then don't fix it".  Any thoughts on  whether DJI updates are optional or mandatory would be appreciated.
2022-6-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to download the DJI Assistant 2 software for the DJI Mavic Pro and update the firmware of both aircraft and remote controller and try again to see if the issue persists? You may download the said software using the link below. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/softwares/assistant-dji-2
2022-6-5
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-5 01:44
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to download the DJI Assistant 2 software for the DJI Mavic Pro and update the firmware of both aircraft and remote controller and try again to see if the issue persists? You may download the said software using the link below. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/softwares/assistant-dji-2

Hello and thanks for this reply.  I am now downloading the DJI 2 Assistant, but I would like to ask if there is any way I can link my drone to its controller without carrying out any updates.

I would much rather use my drone as I have been doing in the past without any updates, unless your reply is that these updates are now COMPULSORY, and no longer voluntary as it has been in the past,  meaning that I will be penalized by the imposition of a permanent disabling of my drone by DJI in the event that I do not wish to have any updates installed.

I have not as yet performed an update of the drone or the controller, and would rather not do so at all , UNLESS you inform me that my drone will be grounded permanently if I do not obey this request to install updates despite my extreme reluctance to do so.   Further clarification would be much appreciated.
2022-6-5
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

After about 3 minutes of deep meditation, I finally decided to overcome my fear of DJI updates, bearing in mind that a hobbled drone that flies, is better than a disabled drone gathering dust on a shelf.

Connected in turn both the Mavic Pro Platinum drone and then its controller via micro USB to USB cable to my newly downloaded copy of DJI Assistant 2 on the desktop.  The Firmware version was updated to Version V01.04.0050 which shows as the latest firmware edition dated 2018-09-03.    The controller was already current with the same version of firmware V01.04.0500 as the drone, so no update occurred for the controller.

With both the drone and the controller now on the same firmware page, as it were, it was now time for the moment of truth.  I unplugged the micro USB cable, connected the Mavic's controller to my iPad with the usual flash cable, opened DJI Go4, and selected the controller icon, before scrolling down to the controller binding option with the drone.  I went through the binding procedure again with high hopes of success which were immediately dashed when the drone and controller STILL failed to bind.

Now that the firmware update is no longer an issue that could prevent the drone from binding with its controller, I am now at a loss as to what next to try in order to regain use of this Mavic Pro Platinum.  Adding to my dismay, I found that my Mavic Pro1 has also lost all connectivity with its controller as well.  I will go through the firmware update with that drone next, but with dwindling hopes that a similar firmware update will solve the problem of that drone abruptly losing connectivity with its controller as well.  The odd thing with the Mavic Pro was that the first time I started it up, it WAS bound to its controller, but without any camera image appearing on the iPad screen.  When I restarted the drone a second time, it completely lost its connectivity as well.

The upshot now is that I have TWO Mavic Pro drones that no longer link with their controllers despite my having updated the firmware on the Mavic Pro platinum to the current Version designated as V01.04.-0050.  I would be very grateful for any pointers that can be offered as to how I can go about binding either or both of my Mavic Pro1 drones to their respective controllers so that I can fly them again.  Prior to this sudden lockout, both drones worked perfectly and were connected to their controllers consistently each time I flew them over the past few months.
2022-6-5
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

Just in case the batteries for the Mavic Pro 1 Platinum are NOT compatible with the Mavic Pro 1, on several earlier flights, I used the Mavic Pro Platinum battery in the Mavic Pro with no apparent ill effects. I mention this detail just in case this battery swap turns out to be a factor that could explain why both Mavics are now disconnected from their respective controllers.
2022-6-5
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Muttley7 Posted at 6-5 13:11
Just in case the batteries for the Mavic Pro 1 Platinum are NOT compatible with the Mavic Pro 1, on several earlier flights, I used the Mavic Pro Platinum battery in the Mavic Pro with no apparent ill effects. I mention this detail just in case this battery swap turns out to be a factor that could explain why both Mavics are now disconnected from their respective controllers.

Now Muttley just check the wifi/rc switch is in rc position, just a thought.
Plus I had the go 4 app tell me it could not get the resource file for no apparent reason, I deleted and reinstalled now OK.
2022-6-5
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 6-5 14:49
Now Muttley just check the wifi/rc switch is in rc position, just a thought.
Plus I had the go 4 app tell me it could not get the resource file for no apparent reason, I deleted and reinstalled now OK.

This reply is appreciated Moose.  Am I correct in assuming that the wifi/rc switch is to be left in the RC position both during the binding procedure and during the drone's normal flight?

The DJI binding video instructions spoke of "toggling" that switch to the RC position, which to me meant briefly placing it in the RC position for the binding process before returning it to the wifi position for normal flight.  

I've watched so many videos on the binding process that now I frankly have no idea what the position of that switch ought to be since the instructions seem to suggest that the switch is ALWAYS in the RC position both for binding and for regular flight, such that the wifi position is never used. Spent hours on this today, and still, both Mavic Pro drones won't link to their respective controllers.  It has been a thoroughly exasperating experience for sure thus far.
2022-6-5
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Muttley7 Posted at 6-5 15:00
This reply is appreciated Moose.  Am I correct in assuming that the wifi/rc switch is to be left in the RC position both during the binding procedure and during the drone's normal flight?

The DJI binding video instructions spoke of "toggling" that switch to the RC position, which to me meant briefly placing it in the RC position for the binding process before returning it to the wifi position for normal flight.  

Now Muttley, i have only made sure the switch is in RC mode. I've never had it in WiFi, I'm no expert but after reading your problem I Googled it and the switch came up as a possible reason for not binding, give it try bud.
2022-6-5
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Iv just checked the mavic pro manual, it's says toggle the switch to rc mode before linking.
Hope this helps and better still works.
2022-6-5
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

From my manual,
2022-6-5
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

This page from the Mavic manual is helpful for sure. Both my Mavic purchases are from eBay, and the only "Quick Reference" manuals I received with both drones didn't contain any reference to this absolutely critical wifi/RC slide-switch placement instruction.

While not diagnosed as such, I am convinced I experience dyslexia particularly when it comes to following user manuals.  This is why even with the manual page staring me in the face, I remain unsure as to which of the two positions that wifi/RC should be set during a Mavic Pro's normal flight regime, and whether the selection of the RC switch position is brief and momentary during the binding process, or whether that RC switch position is to be maintained and NOT returned to the wifi position after the binding process has been successfully completed.

Each Mavic Pro carries a Firehouse high-intensity strobe light mounted with adhesive just above the rear tail light.  I haven't seen any adverse effects on the drones' normal operation before these controller binding issues arose, but I can't help wondering whether the strobes' position could in some way hinder the controller binding process due to signal blockage during that exacting process of linking the controller to the drone.

Strobe Light Position.JPG
2022-6-6
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Morning Muttley, at least its here in the UK.
I don't think the strobes will have any effect on binding, but to be sure take one off, set the switch to rc and try binding again, don't change switch to wifi, also can't believe both units have the same problem, BUT,  give it another go, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
2022-6-6
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 6-6 02:49
Morning Muttley, at least its here in the UK.
I don't think the strobes will have any effect on binding, but to be sure take one off, set the switch to rc and try binding again, don't change switch to wifi, also can't believe both units have the same problem, BUT,  give it another go, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Much thanks as always Moose, for this knowledge you've been kind enough to share here.  I owe you a pint of ale at the pub when next I'm in your neck of the woods. Got family in the UK, and quite a few fond memories of walks taken with trusty hounds down hilly countryside trials not far from Mold in North Wales, way out where the dog foxes ululate into the chilly night sky.

I'll go ahead and try removing one of the strobes to see if that obstacle-free fuselage makes any difference to the binding procedure.  If it doesn't affect the linking process I can always reaffix the strobe with superglue to prevent in-flight detachment once this mystery has been solved and the drones are airworthy again.

2022-6-6
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Your very welcome, let's hope all is good. Been through mold many times on our way to the North Wales coast at Rhyl.
2022-6-6
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

Finally got the Mavic Pro working normally, and the problem was so simple I'm slightly embarrassed to own up. The SD card was one of the older 32GB ones I had laying around. Swapped it out for a faster and newer 64GB SanDisc SD card, and the drone resumed normal operation instantly.

Thinking I might be on a roll, I swapped out the SD card in the Mavic Pro Platinum with that newer 64GB SD card, but that solution didn't work as it did with the Mavic Pro. Anyway, I'll keep plugging at it, and will duly report the resolution that ultimately solve this connectivity issue, even if it turns out to be something trivial that ought to have been obvious right from the get-go.
2022-6-6
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 6-6 07:15
Your very welcome, let's hope all is good. Been through mold many times on our way to the North Wales coast at Rhyl.

Double post deleted to restore planetary alignment amid the cosmos
2022-6-6
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Glad you've got one sorted, go and enjoy a few flights now.
2022-6-6
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

I will now add a MAJOR word of caution to any Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum owner that ever should find themselves locked out of their drone as I have just been, and urged to update the firmware as a prerequisite to once again flying that drone.

The most recent firmware update offered for the above-specified drones, and possibly even for ALL older DJI drones that previously enjoyed Litchi's freedoms, is designed to DISABLE that drone PERMANENTLY from connecting with Litchi, and thereby FORCE users to operate their drones with DJI Go products ONLY, going forward.

I am writing these words in my official capacity as the Litchi community’s self-appointed guinea pig, with all privileges and rights implied. The Firmware version updated to Version V01.04.0050 which is the latest edition dated 2018-09-03, is specifically designed to terminate with extreme prejudice the use of DJI's older products by ALL drone owners who happen to prefer Litchi’s formidable waypoint capabilities and therefore use Litchi EXCLUSIVELY.

If like me your primary or even sole use of DJI products entails flying waypoint missions with the Litchi platform to the complete exclusion of all other offerings, let me spare you a whole lot of grief by urging that you do NOT update your DJI Mavic Pro or Pro Platinum drone’s firmware to Version V01.04.0050, whose PRIMARY function is to deprive you of access to Litchi’s amazing features for the rest of all time.

If my intended countermeasures do not succeed, then I will wind up with a pair of very costly conversation pieces that I will have no choice but to sell off in favor of buying a competitor's product in the very near future. To describe my current mood as one of utter disbelief and indignant outrage would be an understatement. Litch users are hereby cautioned to avoid falling into DJI’s horrible update trap as I have done.

Yee hath been warned fellow Litchi adherents, so tread with great care. I only wish I knew 72 hours ago what I know now. Some anguished wailing and gnashing of teeth are about to ensue here, so I'll update later if and when this dreadful nightmare ends.
2022-6-7
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

Finally and at long last, I am elated to confirm that BOTH my Mavic Pro1 drones are fully operational, airworthy, and connected to Litchi once again. After 3 days and as many sleepless nights feverishly dabbling in the dark realm that cannot be directly named here in the spirit of Omerta, an unexpected breakthrough materialized and now, both these old Mavic Pro drones are ready to take to the skies on fully autonomous Litchi waypoint missions, just as was possible before DJI's dastardly machinations came perilously close to grounding the flagships of my humble drone fleet.

For anyone who ever finds themselves locked out of Litchi due to a forcibly imposed DJI firmware update, all the gory details of my life-and-death struggle can be seen over at the Litchi forum where I had also posed my initial questions when this nightmare first began to unfold a couple of days ago.

https://forum.flylitchi.com/t/ca ... -controller/4287/20

All's well that ends well, suffice to say. Blue skies and smooth landings to you all. Over and out, for now, hehe.
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules