12Next >
8258 56 2022-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe it's just me, but the Mini 3 Pro's 48MP photos are terrible, compared to just shooting 12MP and upscaling them.
I shot a few back to back 12MP and 48MP photo of a street scene.
(Hopefully) Below is a screen grab showing of an area from the 100% zoom. Left = upscale, Right = 48MP.
Moire'tastic on the right. I appreciate it's fixable in post. But I'd prefer it if it wasn't there to start with.
I notice the same problems with vertical garden fences too.

CaptureOne_t3c2htb9Ki - Copy.png
2022-6-6
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

Yes I have exactly the same experience. Hopefully this can be improved with firmware updates.
2022-6-6
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

How about posting the original photo as well. Looks like that is over exposed.
-M
2022-6-6
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TiberiusMars Posted at 6-6 13:22
Yes I have exactly the same experience. Hopefully this can be improved with firmware updates.

Thanks for the reply. That's "good" to know I'm not the only one with the issue.
2022-6-6
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

martindronester Posted at 6-6 13:22
How about posting the original photo as well. Looks like that is over exposed.
-M

I would post the original but I don't really want to post a photo of my street online. I'm sure you'll understand.
2022-6-6
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

MS Posted at 6-6 13:29
I would post the original but I don't really want to post a photo of my street online. I'm sure you'll understand.

A different example that isn't your street if possible...
-M
2022-6-6
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

martindronester Posted at 6-6 13:31
A different example that isn't your street if possible...
-M

Unfortunately, all the side by side comparison photos have all been of my street or local area. The one's that I've kept from other locations have been 12MP (I deleted the 48MP versions).
I'm not making excuses, it's just the way it is.
2022-6-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Yep - Mini 3 has huge likely debayer issues in the 48mp images that cause huge colour shifts on high contrast areas.

Its not normal chromatic aberration so can't be easily removed in post.
2022-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

yes CA is going on but the right appears much sharper.
2022-6-6
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

MS Posted at 6-6 13:39
Unfortunately, all the side by side comparison photos have all been of my street or local area. The one's that I've kept from other locations have been 12MP (I deleted the 48MP versions).
I'm not making excuses, it's just the was it is.

No problem...
-M
2022-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MS Posted at 6-6 13:29
I would post the original but I don't really want to post a photo of my street online. I'm sure you'll understand.

FYI. had you not mentioned it being your street, no one would have been the wiser, you could have been doing a job for all we know ;)
2022-6-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MS. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward this matter to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-6-6
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Hope DJI can sort the colour shift as the image definitely appears to have more detail on the 48MP

It seems to be a issue with straight lines close to each other. I think for most natural shots effect will be minimal
2022-6-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think we have enough info to know which street you live on.  Now we can contact you about your car's extended warranty...
2022-6-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello, there. Could you please also send us the original photo via Dropbox or Google Drive so that we can have further check? We have also sent you a PM, please have a check. Thanks in advance.
2022-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The lens is not going to get better with more MP's on the chip
2022-6-10
Use props
Richandtheotters
lvl.2
Flight distance : 476496 ft
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 6-7 00:00
I think we have enough info to know which street you live on.  Now we can contact you about your car's extended warranty...

In this country it's renew your non existant  home appliance insurance which has run out....
2022-6-10
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Richandtheotters Posted at 6-10 10:38
In this country it's renew your non existant  home appliance insurance which has run out....

Ugh.  Those people are really the worst of the worst, in any country.  : )
2022-6-10
Use props
NewToy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

It's not you
2022-6-10
Use props
bgreenstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 709495 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been seeing those same magenta & green splotches too, but I get them in both 12 and 48MP.  It's not CA because they're splotches and doing CA correction in Photoshop does nothing.  I've had far worse examples, but when I sent them to DJI they replied saying they didn't see the problem.  I'm pretty sure it's an artifact of the Quad Bayer system.  
2022-8-13
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

I'm pretty happy with the 48MP images all the drone shots here back to the two water troughs are Mini 3 Pro 48MP jpegs. Only regret is I didn't take RAW for these shots https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite/central-otago

DXO is supposed to be coming out with a profile for the Mini 3 Pro so looking forward to that. Currently only Adobe Camera Raw seems to be able to process the RAW files correctly.
2022-8-13
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've noticed the quality of 12MP RAW images drop. Maybe it's my imagination?
I seem to get small yellow lines appearing on white areas of a scene. Plus the usual fringing.

Also I've noticed differences in which RAW processor I use. In Lightroom or ACR I get more Moire, than if I use Capture One, for example. That's just by loading the photo into the software, without doing anything to it.

In Capture One there's still a slight vignette problem with RAW, but none with ACR.
2022-8-14
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

MS Posted at 8-14 00:27
I've noticed the quality of 12MP RAW images drop. Maybe it's my imagination?
I seem to get small yellow lines appearing on white areas of a scene. Plus the usual fringing.

I think you are right the images coming out of the Mini 3 Pro are different now than they were on launch when comparing 12MP to 48MP feels like a work in progress...
2022-8-14
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

If you search along this forum, there are actually a significative number of threads about this issue. Something it’s wrong here.

My drone is also affected by a bad image quality: from center to borders start to increase de CA aberration and blurry, but also the tilting of vertical lines to the lateral sides of the frame (there are pictures in different posts showing this effects). Even video makers are noting these effects and blurry in their films.

I did open a CASE (as DJI Stephen suggested), send sample images to DJI Support and received an RMA. I have sent to DJI Service Nuth Netherlands my drone for servicing . Actually it’s coming back by DHL and still didn’t arrive back to me. For the Service Info they said have change the camera module, but I see a different serial number of the drone in the unit that I am receiving back.

As photographer, I know that probably is not easy to design/engineering a camera with 24 mm (wide angle), with a f/1.7 diaphragm (narrow DOF) and all this over a 48 Mpx (too more pixels more easy see you the defects and aberrations) and all over a 1/1.3 in sensor with its bayer/filter layouts. I am afraid about if DJI can correct that without hardware modifications.

DJI Support is reading these posts ….but my strong suggestion it’s to all people has issues with the camera, scale the problem requesting a Case number.Yesterday I was speaking with a famous international photographer friend of mine, and hi was reporting me similar issues.

Previously I did compare the images that I have got with my old Mini 2 against the ones I did get with the Mini 3 Pro....terrible difference.
I think this problem is actually the most important issue with this drone.

Good luck to everybody

2022-8-14
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

juan55 Posted at 8-14 01:16
If you search along this forum, there are actually a significative number of threads about this issue. Something it’s wrong here.

My drone is also affected by a bad image quality: from center to borders start to increase de CA aberration and blurry, but also the tilting of vertical lines to the lateral sides of the frame (there are pictures in different posts showing this effects). Even video makers are noting these effects and blurry in their films.

Juan55 are you able to show us the comparison would be really interesting to see?

Cheers

Bussty
2022-8-14
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Bussty Posted at 8-14 01:50
Juan55 are you able to show us the comparison would be really interesting to see?

Cheers

I am afraid not, because I am outside home and the files are in my home computer, but taking apart the typical wide angle distortion when you tilt a camera with this lenses, you don’t see blurry images through the borders neither big aberrations. And of course, nothing of so tilted vertical lines of buildings to the side borders. An MINI 3 example
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/202207/23/123122f2ay2oipl202imcn.jpg
2022-8-14
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

juan55 Posted at 8-14 03:21
I am afraid not, because I am outside home and the files are in my home computer, but taking apart the typical wide angle distortion when you tilt a camera with this lenses, you don’t see blurry images through the borders neither big aberrations. And of course, nothing of so tilted vertical lines of buildings to the side borders. An MINI 3 example
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/202207/23/123122f2ay2oipl202imcn.jpg

When you get back to you home PC would love to view. I own the Mini 1 and feel the Mini 3 is a big step up from that. I do know the very corners of the Mini 3 Pro lens will be a bit off it is a f1.7 but this expense at the added benefit of working better in lower light. Having said that I do find you have to work hard on the Mini 3 Pro files.
2022-8-14
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Bussty Posted at 8-14 12:41
When you get back to you home PC would love to view. I own the Mini 1 and feel the Mini 3 is a big step up from that. I do know the very corners of the Mini 3 Pro lens will be a bit off it is a f1.7 but this expense at the added benefit of working better in lower light. Having said that I do find you have to work hard on the Mini 3 Pro files.

I did play a little bit with the Mini 3 Pro with PS …. And I have to choose first one of the lens profile of the Phantom 3 and afterwards, create a new layer to correct chroma plus another layer to correct geometrical tilt distortion. Then I can just start with my normal image workflow …. Not good and I loose info in the sides as I have to push outside the central part of the side iimage
2022-8-14
Use props
iHarri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1122 ft
Finland

https://flic.kr/p/2nEk9xK    https://flic.kr/p/2nzLxbm
https://flic.kr/p/2nE8raC

Quick 48M edits.  Final resolution 48M-->24M.

2022-8-14
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

juan55 Posted at 8-14 14:06
I did play a little bit with the Mini 3 Pro with PS …. And I have to choose first one of the lens profile of the Phantom 3 and afterwards, create a new layer to correct chroma plus another layer to correct geometrical tilt distortion. Then I can just start with my normal image workflow …. Not good and I loose info in the sides as I have to push outside the central part of the side iimage

You might have a defective unit? Did you see iHarri's first shot above?  Is you drone performing to a similar level as that's one of the better results I have seen?
2022-8-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iHarri Posted at 8-14 14:20
https://flic.kr/p/2nEk9xK
https://flic.kr/p/2nE8raC

Those look ok except for the noise in the 1st image, (down the left-hand side)
2022-8-14
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Bussty Posted at 8-14 18:43
You might have a defective unit? Did you see iHarri's first shot above?  Is you drone performing to a similar level as that's one of the better results I have seen?

I already sent to DJI Service, I am waiting for the replacement unit…. It’s a DHL…..It should arrive tomorrow.
2022-8-15
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

juan55 Posted at 8-15 00:14
I already sent to DJI Service, I am waiting for the replacement unit…. It’s a DHL…..It should arrive tomorrow.

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing how you go. Good luck!
2022-8-15
Use props
djiuser_Yru13rs4IDcN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1233166 ft
Italy

48mpx photos are just a commercial number to sell more drones...the quality is poor and the noise is so high even in full daylight...don't use it...just take single shots and unite them into a pano with Lightroom etc...
2022-8-22
Use props
djiuser_cjkbQ0fiYD9t
New

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hello,

Does anybody know how to shoot wide angle top down? I had this option on Mini 2. Looking down shoot wide angle like attached photo.
C6F052DE-742B-4A51-8A0A-3C4C7B25CFF7.jpeg
2022-10-28
Use props
itzeig
lvl.2
Germany

djiuser_Yru13rs4IDcN Posted at 8-22 07:26
48mpx photos are just a commercial number to sell more drones...the quality is poor and the noise is so high even in full daylight...don't use it...just take single shots and unite them into a pano with Lightroom etc...

bull....

12 vs 48 mpix

2022-10-29
Use props
Gusdog
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The work-around i've found:

When shooting below iso 400 in good light 48mp works well but gets noisy as hell after that, certainly from iso 800 upwards. If shooting in less light and need a higher iso (above 400) you will get better results with 12mp option.

48mp does capture more detail but the in-camera processing seems to over sharpen causing noise.
2022-10-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

itzeig Posted at 10-29 04:32
bull....

12 vs 48 mpix

Which is which? The one on the left is better.
2022-10-29
Use props
itzeig
lvl.2
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-29 13:36
Which is which? The one on the left is better.

nice try ;)
2022-10-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The one on the right is full of noise. The one on the left is more clear. If you see otherwise, you need glasses.
2022-10-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules