2558 14 2022-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I took my mini 2 off from a river bank which was about 2.0m above the surface of the water. I was filming some slow boats so was closeish in at I would say 3-4 m above the surface of the water. Battery was full charge.

It hovered fine but when I moved forward or stopped the drone descended with no stick input. I noticed so pushed up. It did this a couple of times.

Have others had this and anyone know anything about this
2022-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, its the downward sensors, they dont like water too much....
2022-6-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Just a friendly reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you and fly safe always.
2022-6-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So at what height do the downward sensors take over from the barometer
2022-6-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-6 19:43
Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Just a friendly reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi Stephen,

I have to ask again....

What do you mean with "affected by the accurancy range" ??

If only GPS (horizontal positioning) and Barometer (vertical positioning) are used, as you are saying, both are not out of range when flying at low height!
And ofcourse GPS and Barometer has no clue whatsoever if the drone is flying low above water or any other surface.
So why is it possible than that a accident might happen?

Or does the lower vision sensor (still active flying over any surface) measures 'faulty' heights and is that signal confusing the barometer height wich result lowering the actual fly height?

cheers
JJB

2022-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 6-6 23:22
Hi Stephen,

I have to ask again....

I wonder if you'll get a meaningful answer.
2022-6-7
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Mine does it too, you are not alone.  Drops about 30cm every 10 seconds or so.  Have to constantly push it back up which makes for odd recordings.
2022-6-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rockbyter Posted at 6-7 07:44
Mine does it too, you are not alone.  Drops about 30cm every 10 seconds or so.  Have to constantly push it back up which makes for odd recordings.

Hi,

If you like post your flightlog omn here for your issue, mayby the log explains why it is descending.
(my mini2 flying low over water never descends so its not a structural problem)
use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here, or put a cloud link to your log here.

cheers
JJB
2022-6-7
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks but I would struggle to find the relevant data now.  This is a short clip of the effect.

2022-6-7
Use props
lakeguy55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 45892 ft
United States

Same thing happens with mine.  I'll post a video next time the weather and time allow me to fly.  I live on a crystal clear lake and I had assumed it might have something to do with seeing through the water to the bottom below. But I admittedly know nothing about how the drone maintains it's hover height.
2022-6-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rockbyter Posted at 6-7 09:22
Thanks but I would struggle to find the relevant data now.  This is a short clip of the effect.

https://youtu.be/_dAwq8wRxKk

really slow lowering its height
streaming water is the worst scenario to fly over....

flightlog is on your mobile device.

The link in post #10 explains how to find it.

cheers
JJB
2022-6-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

lakeguy55 Posted at 6-8 09:42
Same thing happens with mine.  I'll post a video next time the weather and time allow me to fly.  I live on a crystal clear lake and I had assumed it might have something to do with seeing through the water to the bottom below. But I admittedly know nothing about how the drone maintains it's hover height.

Hover height is controlled using the barometer height.
Bottom sensor within range is measuring distance drone - surface.
Only at really low height above a surface the bottom sensor info is used.

Fly slowly at 0.5 meter above a slope surface and watch your drone keep the height at 0.5 meter.

cheers
JJB
2022-6-8
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

See next post.
2022-6-8
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This worth reading, subject discussed through many posts over the last five years.

https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-fly-safely-over-water/
2022-6-8
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I looked at my flight records but there isn't one for that date.  Earliest is 29-05-2022 but the flight was on 08-04-2022.
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules