Images heavily blurred in some parts
5654 39 2022-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

Hi there,

so far I have done five flights  with my drone and I am not happy with the image quality. All of my  photos are partly blurred... - this does not seem to be a focus image,  since all blurred objects are more than 15+ meters away from the lens,  so it should be in unlimited mode anyway. This is an issue that I have  never come across with my Mini 2.

You can find a few examples of what I mean below.

Any ideas if this can be fixed or is the camera broken?

Best,
Holger
2022-6-7
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

07.jpg
08.jpg
01.jpg
2022-6-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's very hard to tell if there's a problem or not when the scene is all soft forest and grass, well away from the camera.
It would be a lot easier to see if there is a problem if you shot a couple of test photos of something closer and with hard detail.
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_OMnRZcg6nIzU
lvl.1
Australia

Check your not getting condensation forming on inside of the lens a lot of reports of this happening mine included
2022-6-7
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

Labroides Posted at 6-7 01:43
It's very hard to tell if there's a problem or not when the scene is all soft forest and grass, well away from the camera.
It would be a lot easier to see if there is a problem if you shot a couple of test photos of something closer and with hard detail.

Click on the image and zoom in using the mousewheel.

It seems to be the same error that the guy in this forum has:
https://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/Thread/59540-Mini-3-Pro-Bilder-einseitig-unscharf/

Direct link to his image:
https://tokon.4lima.de/daten/DJI_0004.JPG
2022-6-7
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_OMnRZcg6nIzU Posted at 6-7 01:46
Check your not getting condensation forming on inside of the lens a lot of reports of this happening mine included

I am aware that some customers are facing this problem, so this was the first thing I have checked and I did not see any condensation on the lense.

But... - what do you do prevent this? Condensation inside a lense should not happen at all!

Best,
Holger
2022-6-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This last image is seeing double on the right hand side so deffo sommat amiss...

Give dji support a shout
2022-6-7
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

good idea!
2022-6-7
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

Support told me to recalibrate the compass, the IMU and the camera settings and to do a couple of more photos in the air and on the ground. The blurred effect still exists - therefore, I decided to send it back.  :-(

55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg
2022-6-8
Use props
Loreto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5483068 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Holger0815 Posted at 6-7 02:26
I am aware that some customers are facing this problem, so this was the first thing I have checked and I did not see any condensation on the lense.

But... - what do you do prevent this? Condensation inside a lense should not happen at all!

My Mini 3 pro is out of focus too.
But only shooting fotos.

2022-6-30
Use props
RonnieRocket
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've had exactly the same problem, give the DJI support suggestions 2-3 days but then inists upon a return/repair to avoid delay.

I waited weeks for their suggestions and responses only for it have to go back anyway for these to be replaced:

Product Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery

DJI Mini 3 Pro Aircraft & Gimbal Module (GL, Excl. BR&TW)

2022-7-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think some people are far too particular. Those images look fine to me. Why on earth would you click and zoom in. Didn't you take the picture to look at it or did you take the picture to simply find fault with it
2022-7-4
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Ive noticed the same with some of my images I only shot in Aeb Auto Exposure Bracketing, and some of my shots are blurry in some parts of the photo.
2022-7-4
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-4 08:19
I think some people are far too particular. Those images look fine to me. Why on earth would you click and zoom in. Didn't you take the picture to look at it or did you take the picture to simply find fault with it

Try selling an image that is partly blurry, then you will see why
2022-7-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DocSavage Posted at 7-4 08:39
Try selling an image that is partly blurry, then you will see why

If you are using this for business then I think you should get a better drone. I dont sell images and never intend to do so.
Perhaps it is the buyer being too particular so my comments stands
2022-7-4
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-4 08:50
If you are using this for business then I think you should get a better drone. I dont sell images and never intend to do so.

Im not even going to go there.
But you have know idea what you are talking about.
2022-7-4
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141 ft
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-4 08:19
I think some people are far too particular. Those images look fine to me. Why on earth would you click and zoom in. Didn't you take the picture to look at it or did you take the picture to simply find fault with it

wow what a post
2022-7-4
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Germany

wow its getting even better
2022-7-4
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

You try to teach a man what to do/use for photography and business...
Read again specs from Mini3, is perfectly capable to obtain photos for sell, was never in discussion what he want to do with it, but related to blur....and that photos are NOT NORMAL.
Cheers.
2022-7-4
Use props
Holger0815
lvl.1

Germany

I sent the drone back to Amazon and got refunded within one week. I have already received a new Mini 3 Pro and did a first test flight yesterday. The photos seem to be crisp now - I did not notice any blurred parts in the images yet. So it was definitely a problem with the drone.
2022-7-5
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Germany

good to hear that the problem is solved for you and also so quick
2022-7-5
Use props
djiuser_twGgO7qQwRK9
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello same problem here right side and left is blurry the middle seems a little crisp but not as good as the mini2 in crisp due to the fact this drone is being returned Monday I've had enough this is my third unit nothing but problems I will be getting refund for the dji care refresh also recently bought
I don't want to send it to dji due to waiting time I'm gonna return it back to very.co.uk and wait 6 months see if this issue has gone with a few batches moving forward

This is my third unit now I've returned

I mean when I bought the mini 2 on release I was like wow what a drone but I don't feel the same with the mini 3 been nothing but disaponted so far
2022-8-6
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_twGgO7qQwRK9 Posted at 8-6 08:19
Hello same problem here right side and left is blurry the middle seems a little crisp but not as good as the mini2 in crisp due to the fact this drone is being returned Monday I've had enough this is my third unit nothing but problems I will be getting refund for the dji care refresh also recently bought
I don't want to send it to dji due to waiting time I'm gonna return it back to very.co.uk and wait 6 months see if this issue has gone with a few batches moving forward

Truly I believe there are also some issue with the image quality of this camera’s drone.

I had the same impression you had when I did buy the Mini 2. Even the images of that Mini 2 did support very well my photography workflow (used with Canon R5, a high quality FF sensor) thing that did not support the images coming from the Hasselblad camera of the Mavic 2 Pro.

When I see the specs of this Mini 3 Pro my eyes shine and immediately sold out the Mini 2 and Mavic 2 pro to buy this one (it’s expensive)… but once I have received and start to test it … I am not happy with the image quality. I am a drone photographer mainly, although I made also some video. For situation, I have won some international remarkable contest with images and even video from the Mini 2 and the others drones, contests like Siena Awards, Glaztnicher, and others. So I believe I have my eyes trained to see and check photo images.

With my drone Mini 3 Pro, the images are in focus in the center and when you go to the borders, the image start to be blurry, have aberration/distortion and start to tilt the vertical lines to the side frame borders, much noticeable how much you are going to the borders. I did compare the photos of the Mini 3 Pro with the ones of the Mini 2 and the difference is big. It looks to me like the lens of this drone is not the right one, someone is defective or has some off center.

I did comment this in another post of this forum where another user had the same problem and DJI Stephen suggest open a case and contact with DJI Support. I did it. I sent them images showing the problem. As consequence, one CAS xxxxx  was open, my drone is actually at DJI Service in Nuth (Netherlands) and I hope to be fixed/repair during this next week.

But I see many users and threads of this forum where users reports this image quality problems.

I hope truly DJI can fix them shortly and I receive back a perfect working unit.
2022-8-6
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Holger0815 Posted at 6-7 02:24
Click on the image and zoom in using the mousewheel.

It seems to be the same error that the guy in this forum has:

Second image looks heaverly blurred right side of image.
2022-8-6
Use props
Terenc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3418540 ft
Albania

Same problem, video and photo.
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 819514 ft
United States

Same issues happening for me with the Mini Pro 3. I can't believe these issues made it so often passed QC. Not great...
2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
United States

right side, despite flare, is much softer than the left side.

2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
United States

After some more testing this morning, setting different focus-points and comparing results, is that it seems to have little to do with the lens at all and is more related to poor sensor seating or an issue with focusing. Though my example above is soft on the right, when I focused on the right of the frame in a subsequent photograph (this time it was a top-down shot of a flat farmer's field), the right side was actually in focus...but the left side of the frame was now thrown into soft-territory. Everything was equal distance from the lens, shot from 70m up. It seems that there's either an issue with the sensor seating or the focus system.
2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 629675 ft
Czechia

djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak Posted at 8-11 04:56
After some more testing this morning, setting different focus-points and comparing results, is that it seems to have little to do with the lens at all and is more related to poor sensor seating or an issue with focusing. Though my example above is soft on the right, when I focused on the right of the frame in a subsequent photograph (this time it was a top-down shot of a flat farmer's field), the right side was actually in focus...but the left side of the frame was now thrown into soft-territory. Everything was equal distance from the lens, shot from 70m up. It seems that there's either an issue with the sensor seating or the focus system.

Seems to be same problem as here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268650
2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
United States

So I drove 1.5 hours back to the city today to exchange it for another at B&H, hassle free. Unfortunately the replacement I received is experiencing the same issues. Is this a physical issue or something to do with software / firmware? The blurriness is in the same location as before. It doesn't make sense to me how the issue begins 2/3 into the frame...There must be a software fix / firmware fix for this? It really seems like either a software / firmware issue or that the sensor isn't sitting perfectly perpendicular to the lens...Kind of at a loss. Not impressed with my first DJI drone so far...
2022-8-11
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak Posted at 8-11 13:20
So I drove 1.5 hours back to the city today to exchange it for another at B&H, hassle free. Unfortunately the replacement I received is experiencing the same issues. Is this a physical issue or something to do with software / firmware? The blurriness is in the same location as before. It doesn't make sense to me how the issue begins 2/3 into the frame...There must be a software fix / firmware fix for this? It really seems like either a software / firmware issue or that the sensor isn't sitting perfectly perpendicular to the lens...Kind of at a loss. Not impressed with my first DJI drone so far...

I'm afraid it might be just a garbage lens design in having "zones" like it does, especially one as small as it is with a F1.7 aperture.

I spent the better part of two hours today in trying to pin down if it was uniformly so or related to focus point. I did manage to get it kind of even when I focused on the right third of the frame but even with that, there are zones that are soft that make no sense in terms of the usual fall off of image quality in an image circle.

I have three drones, my original MP2, an EVO II Pro Enterprise (outstanding image quality) and the mini-3.
I used the Mini 3 yesterday in a warehouse while filming a TV commercial and it was great. But I want to take it to Iceland in about 6 weeks and I am just not trusting it to produce the still image quality I need. Such a bummer too, it's super packable and light, flys fantastic and the battery life is great. I'm also well invested, 3 regular batteries, 3 extended, ND filters, etc.

2022-8-11
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

KS-6 Posted at 8-11 14:10
I'm afraid it might be just a garbage lens design in having "zones" like it does, especially one as small as it is with a F1.7 aperture.

I spent the better part of two hours today in trying to pin down if it was uniformly so or related to focus point. I did manage to get it kind of even when I focused on the right third of the frame but even with that, there are zones that are soft that make no sense in terms of the usual fall off of image quality in an image circle.

Yeah… A 24 mm wide angle with f/1.7 and a sensor of 1/1.3 inch and 48 Mpx  it’s probably not an easy design/combination  for getting good image quality across the whole frame. It need a precise lens design and engineering. And probably a lens design bigger in size so in this way discard the major aberrations of the borders because those ones are out of the sensor.... but in other hand, we have many good smartphones without this problems.

Mine is coming back home from DJI Service, it's a DHL. In the Service info say they have change the camera module, but looking to serial numbers, it looks like they are sending me a replacement drone. I hope this new drone be well tested. Crossing fingers.
2022-8-11
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

juan55 Posted at 8-11 16:30
Yeah… A 24 mm wide angle with f/1.7 and a sensor of 1/1.3 inch and 48 Mpx  it’s probably not an easy design/combination  for getting good image quality across the whole frame. It need a precise lens design and engineering. And probably a lens design bigger in size so in this way discard the major aberrations of the borders because those ones are out of the sensor.... but in other hand, we have many good smartphones without this problems.

Mine is coming back home from DJI Service, it's a DHL. In the Service info say they have change the camera module, but looking to serial numbers, it looks like they are sending me a replacement drone. I hope this new drone be well tested. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for the reply, be sure to let us know if you see a difference. I am already planning to take my EVO II Pro to Iceland now.
2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
United States

KS-6 Posted at 8-11 14:10
I'm afraid it might be just a garbage lens design in having "zones" like it does, especially one as small as it is with a F1.7 aperture.

I spent the better part of two hours today in trying to pin down if it was uniformly so or related to focus point. I did manage to get it kind of even when I focused on the right third of the frame but even with that, there are zones that are soft that make no sense in terms of the usual fall off of image quality in an image circle.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. It doesn't make sense to me either - the usual sharpness fall-off isn't uniform or related from the center-outward, rather the issue is localized in a "circle" on the right side of the frame. Truly bizarre how this would ever make it past QC. Maybe a future firmware fix will address this because, like you, when focusing on the right third of the frame, the entire image 'seems' to become more uniform in terms of sharpness.
2022-8-12
Use props
MHM
lvl.4

United States

Im in San Francisco this week for work…… took a walk today at Ocean Beach ……..Took this picture with my mini 3 Pro. I am very happy with the picture quality.
A88F4C61-4522-48E4-8A67-AA158DCD7713.jpeg
B5AC7EE0-9E9A-47F2-9665-50FA55AADC0B.jpeg
2022-8-13
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
Canada

MHM Posted at 8-13 19:52
Im in San Francisco this week for work…… took a walk today at Ocean Beach ……..Took this picture with my mini 3 Pro. I am very happy with the picture quality.

For sure...It looks like your lens is quite uniform - I'm guessing the majority are. It seems to be a batch, purchased by the rest of us that are experiencing issues. I saw a video shot just yesterday by a colleague of mine using his own mini pro 3 and it also looks uniform. I guess some of us just got a bad batch.

Look at the image attached, for example. It's sharp near-camera right and background-left, but blurry in the opposite quadrants. Strange...
2022-8-14
Use props
mrtomuk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 713514 ft
United Kingdom

I get similar problems - always on the right of the image.
I went out and set focus to infinity - the building on the left is sharp, cars and buildings on the right are very soft/blurred. It happens often. If I use autofocus and tap on something on the right the left is then out of focus. Here's a crop of the left and right of one photo.

On same focal plane

On same focal plane

Here's the full photo: https://ibb.co/sybPdzn

2023-7-11
Use props
djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak
lvl.1
Canada

I thought I'd slide in here to share an update.

After exchanging my M3P for another, i experienced the same issue. I sent it to repair. They said they couldn't see the problem. I sent it back and asked them to look harder. Accepted that it was indeed a problem and fixed it. The drone was working fine, taking great, sharp photos edge-to-edge until I crashed it. I bought a replacement M3P. Motor error right out of the box. Sent it back and got a M4P. I'm getting the SAME focus issue as I did one year ago on the M3P. This is unreal quality control. I can't believe DJI aren't taking this issue more seriously.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0qW4tgaxUR6ridUbv0eAhR6HMXxUglB/view?usp=sharing (Mini 4 Pro). Look at the left side vs. the right side of the image.
2023-10-4
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

djiuser_g0aNrGwWK4Ak Posted at 10-4 13:54
I thought I'd slide in here to share an update.

After exchanging my M3P for another, i experienced the same issue. I sent it to repair. They said they couldn't see the problem. I sent it back and asked them to look harder. Accepted that it was indeed a problem and fixed it. The drone was working fine, taking great, sharp photos edge-to-edge until I crashed it. I bought a replacement M3P. Motor error right out of the box. Sent it back and got a M4P. I'm getting the SAME focus issue as I did one year ago on the M3P. This is unreal quality control. I can't believe DJI aren't taking this issue more seriously.

Few questions I have
1. in the scene which area did you tap to focus?
2. are you using AF or MF?

The left side of the bridge looks soft middle is sharp & right side is good enough.
On my mini 3 pro its the same, left side remains softer that rest of the area.

Best way to test lens sharpness is to shoot a flat surface, top down looking shot.
Go to a parking lot which has good floor tiles or cars parked, fly to 50-60m up, point the camera down -90°

Then tap to focus in the center, take shot. (keep hovering at same spot)
Then tap on right side take a shot.
Then tap on left side take a shot.

Then post the 3 images in google drive
2023-10-4
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is all a quality/manufacturing concern. Having such a large aperture and a small sensor demands the correct alignment of the lens and sensor.

I remember DJI had the same kind of issue with focus with their Action 3 camera. The focus was off at certain distances (I can't remember the exact distance but it was a few feet I think) and a few owners actually just "adjusted" the lens and that fixed the concern.
DJI tried to band-aid the problem by adding more sharpening but it is a manufacturing defect.
I wouldn't be surprised that they had a piece of equipment responsible for the alignment of the lens/sensor either not calibrated or just plain bad,,,
I suspect that is the same issue with the Mini 3 (pro) cameras producing images that are so blatantly "off" on one side or the other!

They (DJI) probably changed the production process or equipment and it is not up to snuff.
2023-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules