641 34 2022-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152044 ft
  • >>>
United States

Took a trip out to the Oregon coast the other day; sadly, the light never showed, but I figured I'd at least get some practice in! (Though I wish I would have remembered to calibrate my gimbal, bummed about the non-level horizons...) The footage was very difficult to grade, as the light was very flat and hazy and the sun kept going in and out. This is a 422 ProRes (the middle tier), and I tried using HLG for the first time, though ended up with an SDR output just for ease of creation. I'm still a little new to it all, and it's very overwhelming at times.

2022-6-7
Use props
NotAGyrados
lvl.1

United States

Gorgeous! The PNW is no joke.
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NotAGyrados Posted at 6-7 14:00
Gorgeous! The PNW is no joke.

Thank you so much! And seriously, it is insane! I absolutely love it here. It's also impossible to predict the weather!
2022-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

beautiful great job.
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-7 14:47
beautiful great job.

Thanks so much hallmark.
2022-6-7
Use props
Elevated Camera
lvl.4
Australia

Awesome result, job well done!
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elevated Camera Posted at 6-7 15:18
Awesome result, job well done!

Thank you so much Elevated!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Nice work there Teddybozeman. Nicely done slow mo, flying angles and DJI auto modes for cutting this beautiful clip. There seems to be small areas of blue sky in the video too with some sun there, nice that it wasn't overly hazy with no sun at all.
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-7 15:24
Nice work there Teddybozeman. Nicely done slow mo, flying angles and DJI auto modes for cutting this beautiful clip. There seems to be small areas of blue sky in the video too with some sun there, nice that it wasn't overly hazy with no sun at all.

Thanks so much! Oddly, none of it is slowmo! I think the wind was strong enough (and the waves were slow enough) that it looked slow motion. I didn't actually use any of the auto modes either; for some reason, the new firmware doesn't let you use tracking when you're using ProRes sadly.

There were a few good breaks, even though I was hoping for some good golden-hour light.

2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 15:30
Thanks so much! Oddly, none of it is slowmo! I think the wind was strong enough (and the waves were slow enough) that it looked slow motion.  I didn't actually use any of the auto modes either; for some reason, the new firmware doesn't let you use tracking when you're using ProRes sadly.

There were a few good breaks, even though I was hoping for some good golden-hour light.

Sure nw. Ah wow I see, I guess you manually controlled your drone If you need to use those tracking / auto modes, you can drop your fps to lower in 5k (not 100% sure this would work) if you have 50fps, or you can switch to 4k 60fps, that will allow you to use all auto modes I believe even in HLG
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-7 15:34
Sure nw. Ah wow I see, I guess you manually controlled your drone  If you need to use those tracking / auto modes, you can drop your fps to lower in 5k (not 100% sure this would work) if you have 50fps, or you can switch to 4k 60fps, that will allow you to use all auto modes I believe even in HLG

I found a youtube video where someone talked about making much smoother control stick action, and it really helps make it so much easier to do smoother movements. I was in 4k60 actually; I'm wondering if it just hasn't been implemented yet for ProRes or if it's too much processing or something? I'm not sure, haha. Hopefully DJI will add it in!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 15:37
I found a youtube video where someone talked about making much smoother control stick action, and it really helps make it so much easier to do smoother movements.  I was in 4k60 actually; I'm wondering if it just hasn't been implemented yet for ProRes or if it's too much processing or something? I'm not sure, haha.  Hopefully DJI will add it in!

Ah my bad you are using ProRes, that might be different there I switched to H.265 when they released HLG update, have not actually tested in ProRes   I  also like those extra gimbal settings to slow it down. Hope you find your answer on auto modes
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-7 15:56
Ah my bad you are using ProRes, that might be different there  I switched to H.265 when they released HLG update, have not actually tested in ProRes   I  also like those extra gimbal settings to slow it down. Hope you find your answer on auto modes

HLG is fantastic! I haven't quite got the idea on how to upload and grade it though, I've never done HLG video before, only DLOG. I'm red/green color deficient, so DLOG has been a far bigger challenge to figure out, and everything I've done ends up looking extremely muddy. I never know what it should actually look like!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 15:57
HLG is fantastic! I haven't quite got the idea on how to upload and grade it though, I've never done HLG video before, only DLOG. I'm red/green color deficient, so DLOG has been a far bigger challenge to figure out, and everything I've done ends up looking extremely muddy. I never know what it should actually look like!

Sorry to hear about that Teddy. HLG seems easier for me, if exposure / shutter speed / ISOare set correctly, it normally comes out good on its own without having much need for post processing. You can use histogram and overexposure warnings configured in settings to keep on eye on correctness of exposure.  I use Davinci Resolve for color grading, it works natively with HLG. I think for Mac OS, it is Final Cut Pro (X) that also works natively with HLG. I think if you setup the parameters correctly before you start shooting, in HLG, you video would come out well without much need for spending time on correcting colors, etc...

Thanks, Mike.

2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-7 16:58
Sorry to hear about that Teddy. HLG seems easier for me, if exposure / shutter speed / ISOare set correctly, it normally comes out good on its own without having much need for post processing. You can use histogram and overexposure warnings configured in settings to keep on eye on correctness of exposure.  I use Davinci Resolve for color grading, it works natively with HLG. I think for Mac OS, it is Final Cut Pro (X) that also works natively with HLG. I think if you setup the parameters correctly before you start shooting, in HLG, you video would come out well without much need for spending time on correcting colors, etc...

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks so much for the info!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 17:01
Thanks so much for the info!

Nw Teddy
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FYI below are Davinci Resolve settings that are needed to process and export HLG HDR 10 bit:

2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-7 17:16
FYI below are Davinci Resolve settings that are needed to process and export HLG HDR 10 bit:
[view_image]
[view_image]

Awesome, thank you very much!!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 17:19
Awesome, thank you very much!!

You are very welcome Teddy
2022-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TeddyBozeman. Good day and thank you for posting this cool video that you have filmed. Nicely done and have a nice day. .
2022-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.   
2022-6-7
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 23:38
Beautiful footage.

Thank you so much DAFlys.
2022-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-7 23:41
Thank you so much DAFlys.

You're very welcome.
2022-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely amazing footage.  
2022-6-8
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-8 04:20
Absolutely amazing footage.

Thank you so much!!
2022-6-8
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Beautiful country and nice flying. The top-down shots of the waves were mesmerizing. The music really suited the footage, too. That was really nice to watch.
2022-6-8
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 6-8 13:01
Beautiful country and nice flying. The top-down shots of the waves were mesmerizing. The music really suited the footage, too. That was really nice to watch.

Thanks so much!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the top down waves mesmerizing.
2022-6-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're most welcome.    

Have a fantastic day.
2022-6-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very nice!
2022-6-10
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks so much Montfrooij! :O)
2022-6-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

TeddyBozeman Posted at 6-10 11:08
Thanks so much Montfrooij! :O)

My pleasure!
2022-6-10
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

TeddyBozeman, Nice footage and editing, I thought the color grading was fine also!
2022-6-10
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 6-10 11:33
TeddyBozeman, Nice footage and editing, I thought the color grading was fine also!

Thanks so much!! I'm new to color grading (so very used to a photo editing workflow!), so I'm never quite sure what videos "should look like".
2022-6-10
Use props
Lucas626
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage!
2022-6-12
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4