Software for stitching 360 spheres and method of catching the overhead photos?
957 8 2022-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UKSwede
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2186709 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good morning!

I'm a bit curious about what software you are all using/recommending for creating 360 spheres taken with the Mini 3 Pro?
(I'm aware of PTGui and PanoramaStudio 3 Pro, but haven't tried either of them myself)

Also, how do you catch the photos required?
(In the past I've used the automatic sphere shooting, which obviously doesnt catch the overhead photos needed. Would you use that and combine with manual overhead shots or do you do full manual photos, if so, at which angles, number of shots per row, number of rows etc do you do for best result?)

Many thanks in advance
2022-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there UKSwede. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out what edition software they are using to stitch and to create  360 spheres. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-6-8
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

at the moment the only option is panoramastudio, as it allows to stitch portrait and landscape shots. the only way to capture it definitely is the auto 360 pano mode, no point in doing it manually. Only for the sky there is no other options but going for manual vertical shots, what i do usually are two rows of several photos, usually depends on the control points - try to make sure there will be enough for a good stitch. try to start the first row catching a little bit of the landscape, the upper part. then the second row is pretty much guesswork if there are no clouds....
2022-6-8
Use props
UKSwede
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 6-8 00:23
at the moment the only option is panoramastudio, as it allows to stitch portrait and landscape shots. the only way to capture it definitely is the auto 360 pano mode, no point in doing it manually. Only for the sky there is no other options but going for manual vertical shots, what i do usually are two rows of several photos, usually depends on the control points - try to make sure there will be enough for a good stitch. try to start the first row catching a little bit of the landscape, the upper part. then the second row is pretty much guesswork if there are no clouds....

So you can use a mixture of panorama/portrait format photos with panoramastudio. That sounds like a good option in that case.
I tried one last night, but only did a couple of rows manually overhead in panorama format so missed out the top bit straight overhead, processed it with the trial version of panorama studio a while ago, and the stitching seemed really good (albeit obviously missing the uppermost part).
How would you normally save/export the file from that software to end up with an interactive 3d sphere panorama?
2022-6-8
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

UKSwede Posted at 6-8 00:31
So you can use a mixture of panorama/portrait format photos with panoramastudio. That sounds like a good option in that case.
I tried one last night, but only did a couple of rows manually overhead in panorama format so missed out the top bit straight overhead, processed it with the trial version of panorama studio a while ago, and the stitching seemed really good (albeit obviously missing the uppermost part).
How would you normally save/export the file from that software to end up with an interactive 3d sphere panorama?

i only export as jpg, not sure what the other 2 options are useful for, haven't tried them yet.
2022-6-8
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In my experience of using the Automatic "Sphere" mode the Mini-3 does not record the individual images to the SD Card, only the stiched panorama. I would be interested to know if its possible to access the individual images, particularly the DNG files..
2022-6-8
Use props
UKSwede
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 6-8 03:10
In my experience of using the Automatic "Sphere" mode the Mini-3 does not record the individual images to the SD Card, only the stiched panorama. I would be interested to know if its possible to access the individual images, particularly the DNG files..

You can save either just the stitched panorama, all the individual jpegs or all the individual dngs. You just have to change the settings for it. Can only change settings for panoramas and mastershots, while in flight though. That is akso the way you change quickshots and mastershots to 4k output
2022-6-8
Use props
royeiror
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1679344 ft
Mexico

You can try Hugin, it's a Free Open Source version of PTGui, or vice versa. It works very well
2022-6-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am very happy with the Auto method that is inbuilt into the DJI Fly App
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now