Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi,

I've been mucking around with this problem since I first got the Mini 3 P and I have taken hundreds of images. When I take vertical shots only and join them together in Lightroom. I'm getting this effect of dark lines when the images are joined. This is happening with RAW only. JPEG stitch fine.
I have posted the first shot of the pano and the combined image.
I have tried lots of things like
Removing lens hood
Taking vertical pictures in 4:3 and 16:9
Taking shots in Auto & Manual with fixed and not fixed white balance.
Overlapping images from 50 to 25 % of the previous image.
Cropping the individual images in post then stitching.
Adjusting the Vignetting in Lightroom
Taking both Single and AEB Raw Images.
I'm not getting the same problem when I take horizontal images or JPEG.
I've been using Lightroom for 5 years, stitching images from still and drone photography.

If you have a mini 3 could you give it a try and see if you get the same effect.
IF not then I will know I have a dud.
Thanks

Marty
Manly single.jpg
Wave.jpg
2022-6-9
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2022-6-9
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You are being way too particular. I cannot see anything wrong with those images
2022-6-9
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All that work you are doing why not just use the auto function in the drone……life is too short
2022-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The large image is absolutely splendid, even when zoomed in.  I can see what you mean about the smaller image though. Is it due to over-compression? When I zoom in on that one it looks pretty rough.
2022-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like you duplicated the post.
2022-6-9
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-9 22:36
You are being way too particular. I cannot see anything wrong with those images

Then you need glasses....big ones.

Now, for that lines, in fact you have it for a reason:
-  Mini3 is having a vignete in all photos...this will be seen at Panorama stitches.
Also you don't need to edit photos before stitch them.

The work-around until DJI will fix this vignete is:
- Make photos that overlap like 75%, then cut the margins 5-7%. Will resolve the vignete...More work but you can create a script in Photoshop.
Cheers.
2022-6-9
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-9 23:46
Then you need glasses....big ones.

Now, for that lines, in fact you have it for a reason:

Hi,  Now that was the help was hoping for. I was doing the 75% and I tried cropping the images, but it wasn't fixing the problem. I will now try "cut the margins". I'll let you know how I got on.

Thanks Mate.
2022-6-10
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Forestjim Posted at 6-10 00:00
Hi,  Now that was the help was hoping for. I was doing the 75% and I tried cropping the images, but it wasn't fixing the problem. I will now try "cut the margins". I'll let you know how I got on.

Thanks Mate.

Ok.
Another thing you can do in addition, at the Panorama you can add 2 directional masks one against other and rise the light in area where there is the stitch.
2022-6-10
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

If you're using camera raw, you can remove the vignette from optics -> vignette. Same in lightroom, Lens corretion - > Manual - > Vignette. These are good ways to remove vignetting in the Mini 3 DNG's . I found that bout +75 is pretty good to remove most of it, you might need to test and see what works best for you

You can see from the image below the corners are much lighter in the after image, this is after applying some vignette control

2022-6-10
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yazu Posted at 6-10 00:45
If you're using camera raw, you can remove the vignette from optics -> vignette. Same in lightroom, Lens corretion - > Manual - > Vignette. These are good ways to remove vignetting in the Mini 3 DNG's . I found that bout +75 is pretty good to remove most of it, you might need to test and see what works best for you

You can see from the image below the corners are much lighter in the after image, this is after applying some vignette control

Thanks, Yazu, I tried that Vignette +75 but I still got the join lines. Is there any chance you could stitch a few raw verticals together and see if you get it?

Many thanks, Marty
2022-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-9 22:37
All that work you are doing why not just use the auto function in the drone……life is too short

Why ? Surely he prefers and likes to do it. He also has greater control over his photos. What kind of things do you recommend to make life go slower.
2022-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji photo profiles are in the DNG file, it appears from looking at others photos both single 12mp 48mp and panos that these files need tweaking and hopefully soon.
2022-6-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

What seems to be the case is the lens profile vignette data that should be baked into the DNG for the 12mp files is not correct.

The only real workaround until DJI fix that is likely to shoot *LOTS* of overlap and manually crop the edges prior to merging.  And remember manual exposure when shooting panos.

Or use the 48mp images which come with big issues of their own with lack of sharpness and colour shifts.
2022-6-10
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Did some quick testing and here are the results. Also note all these were shot with manual settings, 4 vertical ( 5 shot AEB ) photos stitched to a panorama

1st image - Edited the vignetting in lightroom and exported them to JPG's then stitched the panorama with Auto in photoshop
2nd image - Straightup lightroom vignette edit and stitch to panorama from RAW files
3rd image - Non edited JPG exports from lightroom, only merged into HDR jpg's,  and stitched to panorama with auto in photoshop.

2nd and 3rd image seems to me to have similar result, visible lines running through the photo, as the first image with edited JPG export seems to have little to no visible stitching lines. Though the center of the image is a bit darker than the edges, this can be due to the sun being slightly behind the cloud and light just changing in that part.

2022-6-10
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yazu Posted at 6-10 02:02
Did some quick testing and here are the results. Also note all these were shot with manual settings, 4 vertical ( 5 shot AEB ) photos stitched to a panorama

1st image - Edited the vignetting in lightroom and exported them to JPG's then stitched the panorama with Auto in photoshop

Yazu... Many thanks.... I thought it was just me.
I will go back to my old ways of taking my Panoramas horizontal, not verticle Let's hope for a firmware update  
Have a good weekend

2022-6-10
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

I tried to create a panorama to test and I have the same problem as you when using the 12MP DNGs (and despite applying a +75 vignetting correction). No problem with the JPGs though.

Pano using DNGs and Lightroom

Pano using JPGs and ICE

As I already said, I believe that the problem is linked to the 12MP DNGs that have huge vignetting/darkening problem once imported.
I'll try to test using the 48MP DNGs, but I think it will work as they don't show any darkening once imported.
2022-6-11
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

neodraig Posted at 6-11 14:55
I tried to create a panorama to test and I have the same problem as you when using the 12MP DNGs (and despite applying a +75 vignetting correction). No problem with the JPGs though.

Pano using DNGs and Lightroom

Thanks for helping us out mate. I'll go test 48 Mp now
2022-6-11
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

[img]I went out today for more testing. Well, as much as one battery will get me. I'm still waiting for my two other big ones to get here.

I took all vertical single raw shots today in both verticle and horizontal.

I joined them into a panorama in Lightroom, and there was not one band line on the images!!!!!

I'm scratching my head now,  seeing how bad the band lines have been for me for the past week. Here is a 12 mp 6 image vertical raw pano joined with Lightroom.  

One thing I did do different today. I removed and put back in the len hood..... Just saying [/img]
2022-6-11
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

48MP images seem to be OK in terms of Vignetting the 12MP are the ones in need of a firmware tweak by DJI
2022-6-11
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

I'm not convinced that the hood is the problem.
I made some tests with for the vignetting problem (not in panorama mode), and for me it didn't make any difference, the strong vignetting/darkening was still there with or without the hood.
Also the problem doesn't show on the 48MP shots (I have yet to try a panorama with them), so if there was a problem with the hood we should see it there too.

2022-6-12
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

Here some new tests (with the hood). All sets are stitched in Lightroom.

12MP DNGs no edits

12MP DNGs +75 vignetting lens correction

48MP DNGs no edits

As I suspected, there is no problem with the 48MP pano (so I believe we can exclude a hood problem) . The 12DNGs panos are the problem, and trying to correct the vignetting weirdly only fixes the extreme left and right of the pano but not the bands in the middle.

Also is it normal that Lighroom doesn't have any profile for the Mini 3 Pro. I read it was embedded in the DNGs but each time Lightroom shows a warning telling there no matching profile:
2022-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

neodraig Posted at 6-12 04:34
Here some new tests (with the hood). All sets are stitched in Lightroom.

12MP DNGs no edits

Yes the last bit is normal - DJI has embedded profile correction data into the DNGs for many years now so that is expected.

What seems to be happening is the 48mp it IS embedded in the file but the 12mp for some reason is not.

Looks like a software/firmware bug.
2022-6-12
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

gnirtS Posted at 6-12 04:52
Yes the last bit is normal - DJI has embedded profile correction data into the DNGs for many years now so that is expected.

What seems to be happening is the 48mp it IS embedded in the file but the 12mp for some reason is not.

When they fix that problem, will we be able to apply that profile to the 12MP DNG photos we already took ?
2022-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

neodraig Posted at 6-12 05:08
When they fix that problem, will we be able to apply that profile to the 12MP DNG photos we already took ?

No.

... but you can just do it manually now - vignette appears to be +56 - 65 on lightroom roughly.  Its not a big problem.
2022-6-12
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

gnirtS Posted at 6-12 06:17
No.

... but you can just do it manually now - vignette appears to be +56 - 65 on lightroom roughly.  Its not a big problem.

Ah too bad.
Correcting the vignette for the single photos is doable, but sadly not for the panoramas (created from 12MP DNG files).
2022-6-12
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 6-12 04:52

If you like, give a vertical 12mp manual Pano a go??
I tried adjusting the Vignette in LR a few times and I still got band lines.

Single 12mp is not a problem.
2022-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Forestjim Posted at 6-12 14:26
If you like, give a vertical 12mp manual Pano a go??
I tried adjusting the Vignette in LR a few times and I still got band lines.

Ive tried and yes its difficult to remove.

You need to shoot a lot more overlap and manually crop the dark edges out of the images before merging into a pano.

FWIW i think this is because Lightroom automatically ignores all edits and corrections of that type when merging to a panorama so its likely ignoring the vignette fix.
2022-6-12
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 6-12 16:11
Ive tried and yes its difficult to remove.

You need to shoot a lot more overlap and manually crop the dark edges out of the images before merging into a pano.

I agree with you about LR.
I've zoomed and cropped, but I still was getting Band Lines.

2022-6-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am still seeing them, granted not as bad but they are still there, my laptop brightness is at about 30%, i cannot see the lines at 100% brightness though, nor at 10%
2022-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Forestjim Posted at 6-12 17:27
I agree with you about LR.
I've zoomed and cropped, but I still was getting Band Lines.

i'll try tomorrow but i suspect LR removes cropping too.
Suspect may have to crop or apply vignette, export them out as TIFs and then reimport them to merge.

If its still at the raw stage, Adobe removes all the edits for the merge process.
2022-6-12
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've taken some vertical shots with my Mini 3 Pro and stitched them together with Lightroom.  Here's an example of one.  I can't detect any stitch lines or banding issues.  Can you guys see any?  These were DNG files, before converting to JPG for uploading here.  
2022-6-12
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

K9JDN Posted at 6-12 18:29
I've taken some vertical shots with my Mini 3 Pro and stitched them together with Lightroom.  Here's an example of one.  I can't detect any stitch lines or banding issues.  Can you guys see any?  These were DNG files, before converting to JPG for uploading here.  [view_image]

No, I can't see any noticeable band lines.  
I've been having trouble with Band Lines. If you look up my image a few posts back you will see I only got very slight lines if at all. Maybe it's the clouds blocking it.  I will go try some clear sky verticle Panos today.

PS. Nice Image
2022-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

May have found another reason to think its a specific firmware bug.

Using the auto pano mode to produce a 180deg panorama the RAW images produced by that are NOT vignetted in any way at all and as a result stitch together with no lines.
So the data IS being applied there.

I'll do a test at some point with other panos and AEB to see if its only the single shot mode they're missing from.
2022-6-13
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ok. I've done with testing. Looks like 12mp raw single and AEB vignette & more noticeable when the multi-images are stitched. All others don't inc. auto raw panorama.  Here is a 48mp raw 3 shot verticle joined Lightroom. I cropped the image to 16:9. This is how I'm going to do my panoramas until there is a firmware update.     
2022-6-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Interesting - this pretty much confirms it as a software/firmware bug then as it IS embedding correctly into some of the 12mp images, just not all.

I just did a 48mp pano but i really dont think the quality is acceptable for me in terms of softness and colour artefacts.  For now im going to have to basically use auto pano 180 and just take the images i want from there to merge.
2022-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules