OMG, video recorded when cycling is so steady !
2163 17 2022-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

This is the first time I recorded a while cycling.  My friends and I were so pleasantly surprised by the steadiness of the video. It's really fantastic and beyond my expectation. Congrats to DJI Pocket 2 !

I'm so impressed with DJI that I'm now thinking hard whether to learn how to buy a drone, especially the new DJI Mavic 3 Pro.
2022-6-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The pocket2 is great in those conditions. Much smoother footage than when walking
2022-6-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello there, Heng. We really appreciate you for sharing this lovely biking video of yours. Thank you for your continued support. Have a nice day ahead!
2022-6-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job of putting the Pocket 2 to the test.  It does perform well.
2022-6-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's not good if there's vibration from uneven surfaces however - this seems to make the picture fall apart somewhat.  For that scenario a proper action camera is necessary.
2022-6-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good!
2022-6-15
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I have planned to make a similar kind of biking test, thought with a couple of differences. My idea is to compare the Pocket 2 with a couple of other cameras - a cheap action camera, a simple camera meant for static placement with no stabilization whatsoever and a cheap pocket camera with electronic image stabilization. While I do think the comparison is not completely level due to the different price points and planned use scenarios, I think it could make for an interesting watch anyway. Also, I plan to mount these cameras on the hadlebar of the bicycle to make for smoother footage and safer ride. Will upload it for people to see here once I'm done.

What really surprised me in your video was how stable the footage was even when you held the Pocket 2 free-handed. Although the Pocket 2 gimbal is great, I do believe your stability with the riding and handling the camera also played their parts in the end result. There was only a little micro-jitter at one point, but you can't really help it without an z-axis stabilizer or excellent counter-balancing with hands (that's probably WAY too hard when you must concentrate on riding a bike).

An interesting video, and well-captured footage :-)
2022-6-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Having rechecked some of the myriad videos of the Pocket 2 used for cycling videos, the key seems to be not to mount it on the bike - use a chest mount or helmet mount instead (or hand hold it if you can!) so it doesn't get direct vibration from the bike.  That way, the results can indeed be impressive.
2022-6-16
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah Dji make some really great stuff.
2022-6-16
Use props
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-16 00:00
Having rechecked some of the myriad videos of the Pocket 2 used for cycling videos, the key seems to be not to mount it on the bike - use a chest mount or helmet mount instead (or hand hold it if you can!) so it doesn't get direct vibration from the bike.  That way, the results can indeed be impressive.

https://youtu.be/_1M_3Ct3ipc  This is another bicycle ride video captured with hand held DJI Pocket 2. The stability is truly impressive.  
2022-6-16
Use props
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 6-16 08:46
Yeah Dji make some really great stuff.

Ya, far exceeding my expectations  
2022-6-16
Use props
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

HGDC84 Posted at 6-15 15:02
I have planned to make a similar kind of biking test, thought with a couple of differences. My idea is to compare the Pocket 2 with a couple of other cameras - a cheap action camera, a simple camera meant for static placement with no stabilization whatsoever and a cheap pocket camera with electronic image stabilization. While I do think the comparison is not completely level due to the different price points and planned use scenarios, I think it could make for an interesting watch anyway. Also, I plan to mount these cameras on the hadlebar of the bicycle to make for smoother footage and safer ride. Will upload it for people to see here once I'm done.

What really surprised me in your video was how stable the footage was even when you held the Pocket 2 free-handed. Although the Pocket 2 gimbal is great, I do believe your stability with the riding and handling the camera also played their parts in the end result. There was only a little micro-jitter at one point, but you can't really help it without an z-axis stabilizer or excellent counter-balancing with hands (that's probably WAY too hard when you must concentrate on riding a bike).

Dangerous to had hold and ride. But, the place I recorded has no traffic. I feel the same that hand held is more stable as compared to mounted on bicycle. Frankly,  hand held is not safe and must exercise extreme caution.
2022-6-16
Use props
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

HGDC84 Posted at 6-15 15:02

For a 66 years old man  still can hold n ride pretty steady, not bad right?
2022-6-16
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Heng Gor Posted at 6-16 13:10
Dangerous to had hold and ride. But, the place I recorded has no traffic. I feel the same that hand held is more stable as compared to mounted on bicycle. Frankly,  hand held is not safe and must exercise extreme caution.

Yes, the safety issue is why I am considering the bike mount. But I'll have to consider other mount options if the material shot on the bike mount is too shaky, bumpy or otherwise not satisfactory.
2022-6-20
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Heng Gor Posted at 6-16 13:13
For a 66 years old man  still can hold n ride pretty steady, not bad right?

Gotta admit that, it is very stable indeed. Well done!
2022-6-20
Use props
Greg_Toronto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I've used it skiing. It is awesome.
2022-7-1
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

One warning though about filming while cycling: if you do mount the Pocket 2 somewhere during the ride, NEVER use the thread mount that came with the Pocket 2. Had an accident with the Pocet 2 that could have come costly. See more at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268087
2022-7-3
Use props
Heng Gor
lvl.2
Malaysia

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-16 00:00
Having rechecked some of the myriad videos of the Pocket 2 used for cycling videos, the key seems to be not to mount it on the bike - use a chest mount or helmet mount instead (or hand hold it if you can!) so it doesn't get direct vibration from the bike.  That way, the results can indeed be impressive.

I have  tested with chest mount and the result is great. I feel chest mount is like hand held in terms of stability. It's safer than hand held, but lacking in control.
Well, can't have best of both world all the time right?
2022-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules