Air2S motor noise, with video.
828 15 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Finnkc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 455279 ft
Canada

Hello, Looking for some help / guidance here.

My Air 2S has developed a noise in the front right motor. Purchased in Nov 2021 and have about 20 flights on it so far.  

Sounds like a bad bearing but I am not familiar enough with this hardware to say forsure. All previous flights, I never noticed this noise at all. The drone lives in my very padded camera pack and has not been damaged. I took the props off to safely diagnose the location of the noise. There is a slight (but noticable) amount of grindy feel in that one particular motor when I free spin it with my fingers. The other three feel butter smooth but this one not so much.

No noticable dirt or debris in the motor and the drone is kept very clean.
No evendance of damage as its never been dropped, crushed or crashed.

Mostly posting this so DJI can comment but also if anyone has had this issue.

cheers,
C

2022-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does sound alarming. If you can feel a difference when rotating the motor manually, as you indicate, that would seem to point to a mechanical problem.
2022-6-12
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

That def sounds unusual. You should contact DJI Service to make sure it gets repaired/replaced.
2022-6-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-6-12
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

That doesn’t seem right at all definitely contact Dji services.
2022-6-16
Use props
Finnkc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 455279 ft
Canada

Thanks everyone. I have since reached out to customer support. After a few more videos and some quick tests they requested I send it into a repair center. The repair center today has just approved the unit to be fix/replaced under warranty.
2022-6-16
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2
Flight distance : 346749 ft

Romania

Hi! It seems that we have quite a similar issue even on the same motor. To me it sounds like some debris got into the motor but I can't see anything wrong when looking.
Here is the video: https://youtube.com/shorts/gOhgdHFSTe8?si=l2QdKjWpSdqudHsj
4-21 01:05
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans68595933 Posted at 4-21 01:05
Hi! It seems that we have quite a similar issue even on the same motor. To me it sounds like some debris got into the motor but I can't see anything wrong when looking.
Here is the video: https://youtube.com/shorts/gOhgdHFSTe8?si=l2QdKjWpSdqudHsj

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Are you getting a motor error reported in the app and do you feel the motor getting hot after running for 15-20 seconds without mounting the propellers?
4-21 03:15
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2

Romania

DJI Tony Posted at 4-21 03:15
Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Are you getting a motor error reported in the app and do you feel the motor getting hot after running for 15-20 seconds without mounting the propellers?

Hi! I have tried to ramp it up without any propellers on and it doesn't get hot at all it is cold even after 30 seconds. I have tried to fly it indoors and let if hover for about 2 minutes and it doesn't seem to give any errors (I will go outside later today). Is there any way to check the power consumption on each motor to see if there is any difference between that one and the others, or the drone will give an error if that would be the case. Thanks for the fast response!
4-21 03:44
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2

Romania

Update! I went out today and there are no error messages or anything. I used all 3 batteries and nothing. But i think I found a bug. I was using the quickshots and for some reason i got the error in the image below. I say it is a bug because I was in a field with no geo zones or anything anywhere near. I did a restart on the aircraft and it went away. Never happened before on any drones I had.
Screenshot_20240421-183315~2.png
4-21 07:41
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans68595933 Posted at 4-21 03:44
Hi! I have tried to ramp it up without any propellers on and it doesn't get hot at all it is cold even after 30 seconds. I have tried to fly it indoors and let if hover for about 2 minutes and it doesn't seem to give any errors (I will go outside later today). Is there any way to check the power consumption on each motor to see if there is any difference between that one and the others, or the drone will give an error if that would be the case. Thanks for the fast response!

Thank you for the update. I'll forward your video to the relevant team to confirm if this is normal. Regarding the detected GEO Zone, have you already checked the location on the FlySafe website? Here is the link: https://fly-safe.dji.com/nfz/nfz-query
4-22 02:35
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2

Romania

DJI Tony Posted at 4-22 02:35
Thank you for the update. I'll forward your video to the relevant team to confirm if this is normal. Regarding the detected GEO Zone, have you already checked the location on the FlySafe website? Here is the link: https://fly-safe.dji.com/nfz/nfz-query

Hi! I have checked again and I was right, there are no geo zones that should affect it. For some reason I can't send images.
If you could give me a e mail address to send them to you it would be great.
4-22 06:24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans68595933 Posted at 4-22 06:24
Hi! I have checked again and I was right, there are no geo zones that should affect it. For some reason I can't send images.
If you could give me a e mail address to send them to you it would be great.

Hello. Thanks for the update. our team checked the video regarding the motor noise, they confirmed that it was normal. In most cases, abnormal noise from the motor is a kind of perceptual noise when the sound produced by friction from bearing rotation is amplified by aircraft arms when the motor is running. For the Geo Zone issue, have you already tried updating your FlySafe database in the "About" section on the settings? Thank you.
4-23 02:49
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2

Romania

DJI Tony Posted at 4-23 02:49
Hello. Thanks for the update. our team checked the video regarding the motor noise, they confirmed that it was normal. In most cases, abnormal noise from the motor is a kind of perceptual noise when the sound produced by friction from bearing rotation is amplified by aircraft arms when the motor is running. For the Geo Zone issue, have you already tried updating your FlySafe database in the "About" section on the settings? Thank you.

Hi!
Thanks for the response about the motor noise.
About the geo zone thing, I went into the about section and at the fly safe section and it says that it is up to date.
This only happened once and after a restart of the aircraft it went away. I have screenshots from the flight log but for some reason on the forum when I reply to a message I can't attach any files.
I will post a comment bellow on this post with the screenshots.
4-23 03:23
Use props
fans68595933
lvl.2

Romania

Screenshots
Screenshot_20240422-171750.png
Screenshot_20240422-171935.png
4-23 03:24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans68595933 Posted at 4-23 03:23
Hi!
Thanks for the response about the motor noise.
About the geo zone thing, I went into the about section and at the fly safe section and it says that it is up to date.

Hello there. I see. Please let us know if you experience this frequently and I will forward this issue to the designated team to check. Have a great day ahead.
4-23 21:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules