Any official response from DJI on the terrible range issues?
12Next >
8137 65 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicMike1955
lvl.2
Flight distance : 915669 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have scoured this forum in hopes of finding an official response from DJI concerning the many reports from owners that the range is quite disappointing.

It would be nice for those of us who are on the fence about purchasing this drone.  My only conclusion is due to the lack of response from DJI is that they are not planning on doing anything to try and fix this problem.

This is quite disappointing to me (an avid DJI fan) who has been quite happy with 2 previous drone models.  Due to the current problems with the Mini 3 Pro and also the Mavic 3 (the 2 most recent releases), I have been looking at the new EXO drones as something I might want to pursue.  DJI appears to be heading downhill in the drone market. thankfully, there are other competitors who might be catching up in quality and professional ethics and customer support.

It would sure be nice to hear something from DJI concerning this problem.

DJI, ARE YOU HEARING US??

2022-6-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

I am one that is still waiting to hear that the distance problem is solved. I would like to purchase the drone now, but I will not, until I hear that it all is fixed.
2022-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 6-12 07:46
I am one that is still waiting to hear that the distance problem is solved. I would like to purchase the drone now, but I will not, until I hear that it all is fixed.

That makes three of us at least
2022-6-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Blériot53 Posted at 6-12 07:49
That makes three of us at least

he he he... yes, you are right.
I read everything I can here in the forum about the Mini 3 Pro, so when everything is ironed out, I will know everything I hope about this nice drone and hang on the door, so to say. I have read that there are quite a few waiting, so how many more are there behind the door also waiting. I really hope that DJI can soon sort out everything. There was recently a big update, which fixed a lot of problems. So hopefully there will be more coming soon.
2022-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 6-12 07:59
he he he... yes, you are right.
I read everything I can here in the forum about the Mini 3 Pro, so when everything is ironed out, I will know everything I hope about this nice drone and hang on the door, so to say. I have read that there are quite a few waiting, so how many more are there behind the door also waiting. I really hope that DJI can soon sort out everything. There was recently a big update, which fixed a lot of problems. So hopefully there will be more coming soon.

I was on the point of ordering, in fact, when I saw the delay was going to be five weeks - so I held off.
Now I'm staying "on the fence" as we say, until supply problems and early niggles sort themselves out.
Meantime I've got the Mini One and the Mavic2Z  to play with
2022-6-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Blériot53 Posted at 6-12 08:15
I was on the point of ordering, in fact, when I saw the delay was going to be five weeks - so I held off.
Now I'm staying "on the fence" as we say, until supply problems and early niggles sort themselves out.
Meantime I've got the Mini One and the Mavic2Z  to play with

At least you have one of each to fly with. I am stuck with the Mavic 2 Pro, similar to your Mavic2Z. However I am very restricted to where I can fly, but I am very happy with the Mavic 2 Pro, which has never failed me now in over 1 1/2 years.
2022-6-12
Use props
AJ015
lvl.2
Canada

I ordered 2 weeks ago but won't get it until July. That gave me enough time to reconsider and research my options. I will likely cancel my order and go with Autel Nano, all the issues that I'm reading about scare me.
2022-6-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well I have had mine a few weeks now and I am blown away with how good it is. If you get the Autel Nano it will be the thing blown away.

I am having no range or connection issues or indeed any issue so far. Mine is the CE Version and I have the DJI RC. Of course it is a lot of money so needs thinking about but I am a very happy customer and there are many others happy also. The way it handles the wind is incredible.
2022-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 6-12 08:25
At least you have one of each to fly with. I am stuck with the Mavic 2 Pro, similar to your Mavic2Z. However I am very restricted to where I can fly, but I am very happy with the Mavic 2 Pro, which has never failed me now in over 1 1/2 years.

Similar experience for me. I've had the M2Z for almost 2 years - specifically for the zoom capability.
2022-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-12 09:00
Well I have had mine a few weeks now and I am blown away with how good it is. If you get the Autel Nano it will be the thing blown away.

I am having no range or connection issues or indeed any issue so far. Mine is the CE Version and I have the DJI RC. Of course it is a lot of money so needs thinking about but I am a very happy customer and there are many others happy also. The way it handles the wind is incredible.

The wind-handling and the zoom feature will probably swing it for me - still pulling the splinters out of my 4r$e for the moment.
2022-6-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

AJ015 Posted at 6-12 08:29
I ordered 2 weeks ago but won't get it until July. That gave me enough time to reconsider and research my options. I will likely cancel my order and go with Autel Nano, all the issues that I'm reading about scare me.

Trust me you will be worse off with the Nano, I had it and it is nothing compared to the Mini 3 Pro.
2022-6-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Don’t think you’ll hear from dji. But Mavic 3 as it stands now is probably djis best prosumer drone certainly the one with the best Camera. And the mini pro 3 probably the biggest selling drone dji has had in many years seems to be a huge success.
2022-6-12
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AJ015 Posted at 6-12 08:29

The issues about the DJI scare you? What about the Nano+?

2022-6-12
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took out mine today for the first time and had zero range issues.  I took it about 300 ft and at least 1KM away (almost out of VLOS) and had no range issues at all.  I have to say from all the posts/videos I've seen, range has not been an issue for US versions.

I read somewhere that the controllers are all the same and it depends on your location, so the range may adjust.  I'll be going to Europe soon and taking it with me so I will definitely check out the range.
2022-6-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lol, did you really mean EXO drones?  As in rebadged Hubsan’s?  Good luck with that.  
2022-6-12
Use props
Lloyd5693
lvl.2
Australia

With you there MavicMike 1955 so let’s see
2022-6-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

With every new model that DJI bring out, sooner or later someone will start a thread claiming that DJI have intentionally limited its range. The main problem is that few people understand what affects range, and the other factor is that DJI ALWAYS claim a greater range than you will ever achieve.

The truth to this is that the aircraft and controller have little to do with the range you will get, it is limited by environmental features and the presence of competing radio signals from the millions of consumer devices surrounding you. If you take your drone out into the countryside, far from any buildings, fly it upwards to a couple of hundred feet, you will find you can fly a long distance away. But most people are flying in urban areas and are experiencing radio interference from WiFi systems, but don't understand that this is why they cannot get any range.
2022-6-12
Use props
GoldFire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457215 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in the same boat. Mine actually arrived last Wednesday, but I've yet to take it out the box being nervous about all of these reports. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to return it if I'm having signal loss issues after opening it. Anyone have clarity on that (I've read through the return policy, but it doesn't seem very clear on that point)? If DJI would simply acknowledge the issue and that it's being worked on I wouldn't worry about it and would start flying.
2022-6-12
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My thoughts on this..

I've made it to around 1700meters, but the signal is all over the place. It seems to drop loads.
Yes, DJI seem to have fixed the initial signal issues with firmware updates, but I'm still not sure I'd push it further.

You need to question if the long distance is really what you actually want the m3P for? + Is it really the deciding factor when thinking about buying the m3P?

Compared to my mavic pro, the mini 3 pro wipes the floor with it! The m3P is a fantastic little uav. Loads of features that will keep you happy, at lower distances. And I'm sure will do 95% of what you want it for.

Good luck deciding my friends and as always, Happy flying
Dragonfyr
2022-6-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-12 13:03
The issues about the DJI scare you? What about the Nano+?

Is that a joke? clearly seen at 16 seconds that it blew a prop, you can see it fly off it
2022-6-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You may not even get a response from DJI, it will either be resolved if there is anything found or it wont be.
They may tell us beforehand, they may not, assuming that there is something wrong in the 1st place.

Was it mentioned in the 1st firmware upgrade about a range issue fix?
2022-6-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoldFire Posted at 6-12 16:59
I'm in the same boat. Mine actually arrived last Wednesday, but I've yet to take it out the box being nervous about all of these reports. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to return it if I'm having signal loss issues after opening it. Anyone have clarity on that (I've read through the return policy, but it doesn't seem very clear on that point)? If DJI would simply acknowledge the issue and that it's being worked on I wouldn't worry about it and would start flying.

You don’t need to be nervous it is an excellent drone. You will have more than enough range than you need. Don’t be put off go and fly it in a nice safe place to start with then build up from there.

In my experience the range is just fine and I have the CE version which has 10x less transmission power than in the US because of our laws
2022-6-12
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-12 18:21
Is that a joke? clearly seen at 16 seconds that it blew a prop, you can see it fly off it

I'm not sure I see a prop flying off, I see a small bird flying in shot after the quad drops. But I could be wrong.

Apparently the telemetry shows a sudden loss of power.

Unfortunately, this isn't an isolated incident with the nano+, and it's amazing it has been caught on camera. Last I read, Autel weren't replacing the drone.
2022-6-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive been flying Mini2 and mini3 back to back and they are performing of me pretty identically in terms of range and connection,  except that the Mini3 video feed is far superior.
2022-6-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Magic 3 is pretty impressive.

2022-6-13
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoldFire Posted at 6-12 16:59
I'm in the same boat. Mine actually arrived last Wednesday, but I've yet to take it out the box being nervous about all of these reports. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to return it if I'm having signal loss issues after opening it. Anyone have clarity on that (I've read through the return policy, but it doesn't seem very clear on that point)? If DJI would simply acknowledge the issue and that it's being worked on I wouldn't worry about it and would start flying.

Every day you wait is a day lost. You purchased it, now enjoy it!
2022-6-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-12 22:54
I'm not sure I see a prop flying off, I see a small bird flying in shot after the quad drops. But I could be wrong.

Apparently the telemetry shows a sudden loss of power.

You can clearly see that this object appears from know where and zips off like a prop does

Screenshot_20220613-115939_YouTube.png
2022-6-13
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-13 03:03
You can clearly see that this object appears from know where and zips off like a prop does

I'm not sure there is anything clear in this video.

However, and I don't want to labour the point as it's getting way off topic, but for my own sanity's sake, this looks like a small bird that comes flying into shot. Here is the entry point of said avian:

Here it is as it flies past the stricken quad:

And here it is exiting the scene:

I'm not sure a prop would be strictly adhering to the laws of physics with this flightpath
2022-6-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-13 08:36
I'm not sure there is anything clear in this video.

However, and I don't want to labour the point as it's getting way off topic, but for my own sanity's sake, this looks like a small bird that comes flying into shot. Here is the entry point of said avian:

I believe you're right, my bad, I didn't notice the entry point, good catch. Did they find out the cause?
2022-6-13
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

In my opinion, the location of the antennas in the arms of the drone is responsible for the undoubted problems with the range. This is horizontal polarization and additionally poor exposure to radio waves. The ideal place known for a long time is the tip of the arms and the vertical polarization. Unfortunately, there are already a few grams left for this. You wanted proximity sensors, you have them, but forget about range.
2022-6-13
Use props
victor_lima
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63005 ft
Paraguay

Same problem here (in Paraguay, South America). Can't go more then 800m without disconnecting in the city (with direct line of sight) :/
2022-6-13
Use props
victor_lima
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63005 ft
Paraguay

nOxxxx Posted at 6-13 09:50
In my opinion, the location of the antennas in the arms of the drone is responsible for the undoubted problems with the range. This is horizontal polarization and additionally poor exposure to radio waves. The ideal place known for a long time is the tip of the arms and the vertical polarization. Unfortunately, there are already a few grams left for this. You wanted proximity sensors, you have them, but forget about range.

He tried with other controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUmtwNBzMk&t=332s

2022-6-13
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I guess it depends on what your expectations are.  You will likely never achieve DJI's spec for range - nor will the battery.  However, if you base your expectations of the range and signal strength and integrity of the Mini 2, you are likely to be disappointed.  Many, many people are stating the range is nowhere near what they had from their Mini 2's.  Some are stating its fine, and there is no issue.  A few are even guaranteeing its perfect, but have yet to receive and fly one, which is really annoying.

It is a brilliant little sub 250g drone, absolutely no doubt.  But in urban conditions, it might struggle to do what you need.  In rural locations, it can do great distances, yet sometimes become unusable at the sort of distances the Mini 1 gives up.
2022-6-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nOxxxx Posted at 6-13 09:50

This cannot be the reason, else why have some managed to get really good distances eg alleged 6km CE and deffo 11km and 13km FCC, something else is going on as it to, well, that's the mystery, could be a pinched cable, a dry solder joint, faulty board and so on..,
2022-6-13
Use props
davnozdu
lvl.2

Czechia

I am contact today with support and support say me, need to return dron for checking and replacing to new.
I am ask about this problem: it is software and maybe need to wait new firmware or it is hardware and only one way. to fix - replacement ?
I am not get direct answer, support write me: come to our reseller and bring dron for checking and replacement.
2022-6-14
Use props
octocat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 214199 ft
Georgia

+1.
Canceled my order until DJI provides any info and status updates.
2022-6-14
Use props
fatsharkaunz
lvl.4
Australia

octocat Posted at 6-14 05:37
+1.
Canceled my order until DJI provides any info and status updates.

Seriously thinking of cancelling mine not too, this is bad , and the fact that they KNOW there's an issue makes it worse .
(They know because they are not saying anything) they dont want to be flooded with returns , which will happen anyway.
2022-6-14
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-12 18:33
You may not even get a response from DJI, it will either be resolved if there is anything found or it wont be.
They may tell us beforehand, they may not, assuming that there is something wrong in the 1st place.

No way will DJI make a comment, they may be talking about it in their own office and what they can do to resolve any possible issues

Strange that my order was placed 2 weeks ago and is due for delivery until 1st July 22

Maybe DJi are making a change to the design of the next batch they ship or I could be talking S@@@ and the delay is due to chip shortage
2022-6-14
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I confirm 7km flight with rc n-1. 4 km from rc pro in ideal conditions on a hill outside the city. But at the same time, at the distance of 300m in the same place, there were big problems. The airplane is unstable in connection. I am not drawing conclusions, I am talking about the facts.
2022-6-14
Use props
davnozdu
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I will wait to answer from DJI about my Drone.
I already took it to the store for a replacement.
2022-6-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules