Any official response from DJI on the terrible range issues?
8140 65 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GoldFire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457215 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the closest thing I've seen to someone from DJI acknowledging the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/com ... have_a_range_issue/
2022-6-14
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-13 08:56
I believe you're right, my bad, I didn't notice the entry point, good catch. Did they find out the cause?

Apparently the telemetry shows an instant loss of power, and they never managed to recover the drone for analysis (despite attempts). Doesn't look like the owner will be getting a replacement from Autel either.
2022-6-15
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

Im in the UK and I reach about 880m to 1k in built up areas before I have signal issues. The other week, however, I did launch from the coast and fly out 2.2km to circle a cable laying ship. Only problem I had was the wind changing on the return flight which did cause some anxiety.....but I got back with 2 mins flight time left. Thankfully.
2022-6-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-17 00:26
Im in the UK and I reach about 880m to 1k in built up areas before I have signal issues. The other week, however, I did launch from the coast and fly out 2.2km to circle a cable laying ship. Only problem I had was the wind changing on the return flight which did cause some anxiety.....but I got back with 2 mins flight time left. Thankfully.

Now thats quite reasonable
2022-6-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manich Posted at 6-17 00:26
Im in the UK and I reach about 880m to 1k in built up areas before I have signal issues. The other week, however, I did launch from the coast and fly out 2.2km to circle a cable laying ship. Only problem I had was the wind changing on the return flight which did cause some anxiety.....but I got back with 2 mins flight time left. Thankfully.

There are a lot of people reporting good signal and range
2022-6-17
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-17 11:41
There are a lot of people reporting good signal and range

Apparently, with the new software releases, the range is better and there are a few added features, like better screen res on recording, faster, cooler file transfers etc. Looking for ward to trying them out when I get my drone back...if I ever do. A UPS Express label was generated by Dynafix yesterday, and it still hasnt been posted. Ridiculous. Whats the point of an Express service if they arent even going to bother posting it? not only that, but Dynafix even charged DJI for a new Gimbal cover, even though mine was mint and didnt need replacing. Im dreading seeing what condition the drones in. It went there with not a mark on it, but I fear it wont be returned as such. I even sent it packed inside the original box, and I doubt theyll send that back either. yeah, I have no faith in Dynafix whatsoever.
2022-6-18
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

GoldFire Posted at 6-14 19:38
This is the closest thing I've seen to someone from DJI acknowledging the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/comments/vc6ewi/the_mini_3_pro_does_have_a_range_issue/

The range issue is reported to be much better wiith the new updates......hopefully that will be true. many flyers dont just push the distance for the hell of it, but moreso because they are trying to get somewhere thats completely inaccessible, and having your drone disconnect often causes anxiety, regardless of how much faith you have that it will reconnect or come back.
2022-6-18
Use props
djiuser_Fjm5pOHeyXKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181266 ft
Sweden

Manich Posted at 6-18 17:15
The range issue is reported to be much better wiith the new updates......hopefully that will be true. many flyers dont just push the distance for the hell of it, but moreso because they are trying to get somewhere thats completely inaccessible, and having your drone disconnect often causes anxiety, regardless of how much faith you have that it will reconnect or come back.

For me the range after update is exact the same as before (useless) 300 meter at 50 meter height in suburb area)
2022-6-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Fjm5pOHeyXKJ Posted at 6-18 19:50
For me the range after update is exact the same as before (useless) 300 meter at 50 meter height in suburb area)

Can you see the drone at 300 m
2022-6-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-18 21:36
Can you see the drone at 300 m

Do you mean, did they have line of sight to the drone?
2022-6-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-19 19:45
Do you mean, did they have line of sight to the drone?

No I meant what I said very easy to understand
2022-6-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-19 20:50
No I meant what I said very easy to understand

I gave you the benefit of doubt when I shouldn't have, so I then I refer back to the unedited version or my reply, could you see yours at 1000m away? It's that hypocrisy again.
As a rule, a mini can be seen from 300m, if i can then many others can see them too as I do not have the best of eyes.

Not only that, the members' issue was range, not whether or not they could see the drone, keep on topic, range issues.
2022-6-19
Use props
Moneta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11204 ft
United States

I suspect, especially since DJI was embargoed to some extent, that their latest drone models (3 & Mini 3 Pro) do not perform as well for long distances by design. So they exaggerated flight distances to keep sales going and to comply with US govt. wishes for drones that don't go incredible distances, especially ones that are <249 g. Remote ID is about to kick in and heavier drones will be forced to comply. There's no way DJI doesn't know about the true range of these. It's a hardware design and I don't think a firmware upgrade will fix a problem like this. I'm always anxious to be proven wrong though.
2022-6-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Moneta Posted at 6-24 10:26
I suspect, especially since DJI was embargoed to some extent, that their latest drone models (3 & Mini 3 Pro) do not perform as well for long distances by design. So they exaggerated flight distances to keep sales going and to comply with US govt. wishes for drones that don't go incredible distances, especially ones that are

"So they exaggerated flight distances to keep sales going and to comply with US govt. wishes for drones that don't go incredible distances,"

negative
2022-6-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Check this out. Altitude less than 20ft AGL

2022-6-24
Use props
Moneta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11204 ft
United States

A1C Posted at 6-12 13:54
I took out mine today for the first time and had zero range issues.  I took it about 300 ft and at least 1KM away (almost out of VLOS) and had no range issues at all.  I have to say from all the posts/videos I've seen, range has not been an issue for US versions.

I read somewhere that the controllers are all the same and it depends on your location, so the range may adjust.  I'll be going to Europe soon and taking it with me so I will definitely check out the range.

The sales info states the Mini 3 Pro drone should go 18 km or 25 km, depending on having the Plus battery. The specs for the RC controller are significantly less. The Owners Manual has what was titled "Transmission Distance (in common scenarios). Here they are:
Strong Interference: (city center); 1.5 - 3 km (that's about what I get in very rural AZ - clear sky, but there is cell phone reception)
Moderate Inter. (suburbs): 3 - 7 km
No Interference (rural, beaches) 7 - 12 km
These were the specs for the RC controller. They're very short compared to earlier DJI consumer drones.
2022-6-24
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Moneta Posted at 6-24 11:44
The sales info states the Mini 3 Pro drone should go 18 km or 25 km, depending on having the Plus battery. The specs for the RC controller are significantly less. The Owners Manual has what was titled "Transmission Distance (in common scenarios). Here they are:
Strong Interference: (city center); 1.5 - 3 km (that's about what I get in very rural AZ - clear sky, but there is cell phone reception)
Moderate Inter. (suburbs): 3 - 7 km

You read it wrong.
18km or 25km is the Flight Distance - not the signal range.
That's the distance the drone can fly until the battery runs out.   So the drone can fly in circles, for example, around  you for 18km, and not that you can control it 18km away from you!
2022-6-24
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-12 15:55
With every new model that DJI bring out, sooner or later someone will start a thread claiming that DJI have intentionally limited its range. The main problem is that few people understand what affects range, and the other factor is that DJI ALWAYS claim a greater range than you will ever achieve.

The truth to this is that the aircraft and controller have little to do with the range you will get, it is limited by environmental features and the presence of competing radio signals from the millions of consumer devices surrounding you. If you take your drone out into the countryside, far from any buildings, fly it upwards to a couple of hundred feet, you will find you can fly a long distance away. But most people are flying in urban areas and are experiencing radio interference from WiFi systems, but don't understand that this is why they cannot get any range.

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

So far, I don't have any range issue in the US, unless I fly too low with lot of trees nearby I will get the yellow warning. And if I increase the attitude, it will be okay.
I lost LOS a couple times, looked at the map fly toward the HP and it was fine.
Also tries RTH a few times with no issues either.

My issue is thr RC display sometime went back to the first screen and I had to press "Go Fly" to go back to camera view!!
2022-6-24
Use props
RedOneMart
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48202 ft
  • >>>
France

Yesterday I went into the woods in France and at some points was not able to fly more than 50 meters away before losing connection. Already tried the fcc hack, but that either did not work or made no difference.
Its a great drone, and the goggles are amazing, but this issue lets it down severely and makes it near unuseable.
2022-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedOneMart Posted at 9-11 02:13
Yesterday I went into the woods in France and at some points was not able to fly more than 50 meters away before losing connection. Already tried the fcc hack, but that either did not work or made no difference.
Its a great drone, and the goggles are amazing, but this issue lets it down severely and makes it near unuseable.

I think ya might be on the wrong board? This section is for the Mini 3 Pro not the Avata
2022-9-11
Use props
Eric L
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2429659 ft
United States

Can you provide the exact symptom of your issues, such as where did you fly your drone, which direction/altitude did you fly it, how long was it able to travel without losing signal etc? Or posting the flight data here, that will be helpful. For me, I can generally fly my drone up to 4-5 km in the wilderness without signal being poor, and 2 km if I am in a city due to electromagnetic interferences. I find that range acceptable, although I hoped it can be longer
2022-9-11
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
Ireland

Can you please let me know what are the issues with the latest, I guess Mavic 3 Classic (?) since my DJI Mini 3 Pro has terrible range (300 m) and I was thinking about upgrading to the Mavic 3 Classic? Thanks!
2023-1-2
Use props
taggart65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51243 ft
United States

A1C Posted at 2022-6-12 13:54
I took out mine today for the first time and had zero range issues.  I took it about 300 ft and at least 1KM away (almost out of VLOS) and had no range issues at all.  I have to say from all the posts/videos I've seen, range has not been an issue for US versions.

I read somewhere that the controllers are all the same and it depends on your location, so the range may adjust.  I'll be going to Europe soon and taking it with me so I will definitely check out the range.

Same here.  As long as I'm in VLOS (which you should be anyway) everything is fine.  I went 1200 meters today with full bars.
2023-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-6-24 10:34
Check this out. Altitude less than 20ft AGL

Better than his pitiful attempt with his avata, he attached it to a light bar just off the roof killing the signal, he wasn't too impressed when i pulled him up on it mind, evidently as this video shows, i was talking sense being above the roof makes a difference so why he didn't do that with the Avata.

PS in CE mode, its done 18000ft at 100ft high 65% battery stopped play and turned home, Ken was in FCC
In FCC it hit 22000ft at 100ft high, again it was a little breezy so it drained the battery on the outward journey else it would have gone on...

So in my eyes, there is nothing wrong with the Mini 3 Pro, its down to location and, sorry to say, the pilot.

For folk that actually listen to the advice and pointers have drastically improved their range.
2023-1-2
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My solution:
11.jpg
2023-1-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And i will still get further than you, without that mod and in CE mode...
2023-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules