Options besides return to home?
723 18 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EverettSkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 889879 ft
United States

I am wondering why there is no option to just return to the spot that the controller is located at the time when you reach battery low status? I know that the return to home is useful but if I wanted to say follow myself in a vehicle, which would have a constantly changing home spot. So why can’t I just make the drone return to controller instead of return to home, as 99.9% of the time the “home point” is where I am with the controller anyway.

Please make this an option in the future

Thanks
2022-6-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there EverettSkin. Good day and thank you for reaching out. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you.
2022-6-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-12 19:35
Hello there EverettSkin. Good day and thank you for reaching out. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you.

Hi Stephen,

This question has been asked for many years now, so your DJI engineers had time enough to make up their mind about this request ; So what is the outcome of their assesment ??

cheers
JJB
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To EverettSkin, there is, but it requires you to do some research concerning how to change the home point. In fact there are two approaches to doing it,
1) set the home point to the controller's location, which requires that location services are enabled on the screen device attached to the controller.
2) Set the home point via the map, which is, I think, not an overly accurate method.
I have used both methods, try a little googling .

I also have a vague recollection of reading that the home point can be reset WHILST the drone is actually RTH'ing.
2022-6-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-13 01:38
To EverettSkin, there is, but it requires you to do some research concerning how to change the home point. In fact there are two approaches to doing it,
1) set the home point to the controller's location, which requires that location services are enabled on the screen device attached to the controller.
2) Set the home point via the map, which is, I think, not an overly accurate method.

yes, while in RTH you can change the RTH position. The moment in RTH when drone starts autolanding you can still change HP but has no effect ; autolanding continues.

But why not give the option to reset every 5 seconds or so HP to RC position....

cheers
JJB
2022-6-13
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Is there any downside to setting homepoint to controller's position Sean?
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is a reasonable question but my post addressed EverettSkin's saying "there is no option to just return to the spot that the controller is located at the time when you reach battery low status"."
I have recently noticed mention of "dynamic home point", or some such thing, in an App recently but I have not yet experimented with it  (to see what it means) nor do I remember which app it was in, I have been playing with Go, Go4, Fly and Litchi recently.
2022-6-13
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-13 01:58
That is a reasonable question but my post addressed EverettSkin's saying "there is no option to just return to the spot that the controller is located at the time when you reach battery low status"."
I have recently noticed mention of "dynamic home point", or some such thing, in an App recently but I have not yet experimented with it  (to see what it means) nor do I remember which app it was in, I have been playing with Go, Go4, Fly and Litchi recently.

I just thought that with your considerable experience you might have come across some issues with that setting. Anyody else have an input?
2022-6-13
Use props
djiuser_Pr4rt8vC6okr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208419 ft
United States

I'd really love to have a "Return to Controller" feature as well....in fact, I need it!  When launching and flying out on the water, return to home doesn't make any sense.  So every time it goes off I cancel it and try to hurry and get the drone back to where I am now.  The controller is always with me so I'd love to have a return to controller.

I think the feature should be setup as (1) return to controller, if possible; (2) if the controller position can't be located, then return to home.
2022-6-13
Use props
EverettSkin
lvl.2
United States

Yes that’s exactly the type of situation that I am trying to describe. If you were to launch from a boat just with drifting in the water your home point would constantly need to be updated due to you never staying in one point, or if you were following a car that you are in (with the controller) you should be able to fly/drive for miles and then the drone would know how much battery is left to (Return to Remote) auto return home and not back to the starting point.
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 6-13 02:52
I just thought that with your considerable experience you might have come across some issues with that setting. Anyody else have an input?

I am not sure how to interpret that so I will take it at face value.

So, the only issue I have is that my experiments with setting the homepoint via the map (mavic mini ) showed my judgement was inaccurate enough such that the drone would have come down in a tree 20 to 30ft away from were I was hoping if I had let it complete the landing.
The return to controller icon worked as well as can be expected. Its a pity I can't remember where I saw the dynamic homepoint think
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EverettSkin, is there something preventing you from manually triggering the homepoint reset at regular intervals? it's what most people on a boat do.
2022-6-13
Use props
EverettSkin
lvl.2
United States

No nothing at all keeping me from doing that. Just thought it would be a nice have. I really don’t see how this would be hard for DJI to implement and it would make a huge difference in ease of use. Why should I have to interrupt my flying every minute or so to update home point when a simple toggle switch could probably be sufficient.

Idk, just something that I would like to see in an update.
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EverettSkin Posted at 6-13 11:29
No nothing at all keeping me from doing that. Just thought it would be a nice have. I really don’t see how this would be hard for DJI to implement and it would make a huge difference in ease of use. Why should I have to interrupt my flying every minute or so to update home point when a simple toggle switch could probably be sufficient.

Idk, just something that I would like to see in an update.

Ok, I just wanted to make you aware that it can be done and it seems that you are so all is good.
2022-6-13
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-13 08:47
I am not sure how to interpret that so I will take it at face value.

So, the only issue I have is that my experiments with setting the homepoint via the map (mavic mini ) showed my judgement was inaccurate enough such that the drone would have come down in a tree 20 to 30ft away from were I was hoping if I had let it complete the landing.

No ulterior motive Sean. It was a genuine question.
2022-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 6-13 23:08
No ulterior motive Sean. It was a genuine question.

Cool, there has been a lot of sniping on this forum in the last few months and unfortunately it makes one wary.
BTW with regards to setting the home point to the controller's location I haven't found any real disadvantage aside from needing the phone's location services to be switched on. I  am not sure if it is as accurate as using the drone's GPS but it is sufficient to get the drone 'overhead' and then any necessary adjustments can be made manually.
That said I would rarely let the Mavic Mini or Mini 2 land automatically, I tend to cancel the RTH, bring the drone down manually and hand catch. I'd let a M2P/Z land automatically providing it showed signs of using the precision landing i.e. rotate to face in the takeoff direction and fine tune its position when in range of the APS. (Too many trees around me to rely on GPS positioning)
2022-6-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-14 09:42
Cool, there has been a lot of sniping on this forum in the last few months and unfortunately it makes one wary.
BTW with regards to setting the home point to the controller's location I haven't found any real disadvantage aside from needing the phone's location services to be switched on. I  am not sure if it is as accurate as using the drone's GPS but it is sufficient to get the drone 'overhead' and then any necessary adjustments can be made manually.
That said I would rarely let the Mavic Mini or Mini 2 land automatically, I tend to cancel the RTH, bring the drone down manually and hand catch. I'd let a M2P/Z land automatically providing it showed signs of using the precision landing i.e. rotate to face in the takeoff direction and fine tune its position when in range of the APS. (Too many trees around me to rely on GPS positioning)

Did change the HomePoint to the RC position (mob device GPS data) and my MINI2 came exactly overhead the RC.

so accurate enought my mobile device

cheers
JJB
2022-6-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not disputing what you say but just out of curiosity, did you bring it down in a vertical descent? If so was it still 'overhead'?
I find that, when looking up, judging what is literally overhead can be difficult and what might appear to be literally overhead when high may be several metres away when it gets down low.
2022-6-14
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-14 09:42
Cool, there has been a lot of sniping on this forum in the last few months and unfortunately it makes one wary.
BTW with regards to setting the home point to the controller's location I haven't found any real disadvantage aside from needing the phone's location services to be switched on. I  am not sure if it is as accurate as using the drone's GPS but it is sufficient to get the drone 'overhead' and then any necessary adjustments can be made manually.
That said I would rarely let the Mavic Mini or Mini 2 land automatically, I tend to cancel the RTH, bring the drone down manually and hand catch. I'd let a M2P/Z land automatically providing it showed signs of using the precision landing i.e. rotate to face in the takeoff direction and fine tune its position when in range of the APS. (Too many trees around me to rely on GPS positioning)

Thank you Sean. I have indeed seen a few inappropriate comments on the forum so I am not an avid poster but will try and comment fairly and advise if I think I can. thank you again for your reply.
2022-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules