Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mount clips starting to fail over time?
1503 14 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Anyone starting to see their mount clips (both on the two modules being connected, as well as the GoPro mount) failing over time?  I've solely used the Action 2 on the handlebars of my road/hybrid bike, for the past 8 or so months since launch day.  
Over the past month or two, I've started to have issues where bumps in the road will cause the battery unit to loosen just enough from the camera unit to stop the recording (presumably because it loses the connection to the SD card).

Today, I had camera fall off the mount after a big bump... twice.  Luckily I had the magnetic case on and only had some damage to the metal edges of the camera, but now I don't trust the mounting system at all.

For what it's worth, I'm super-careful about making sure the clips are in place.  Every single time I mount the camera or modules, I specifically check to make sure the clips are fully pressed into place.  That was no different both times today either.

2022-6-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hmmm, that's a worry - it sounds like you are a more intensive user than most (in terms of mounting / unmounting, plus using it in action situations) but still, it shouldn't be exhibiting the problem.  DJI's comments will be interesting...
2022-6-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jhoff80. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post some photos of the DJI Action 2 mount clips for us to be able to see and can assist you with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-6-12
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

No visible damage to the clips that I can see.  I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe it's the magnetic case itself that might be at fault.  The second set of pogo pins from the Action 2 to the case to the modules could definitely have something to do with the first issue, which now that I think about it, only started showing up after I got the case.  And I don't want to wrench too hard on the clips to try and force anything, but honestly the connection to the Gopro mount does feel slightly more secure with the case off.  Considering giving it a try without the case on my next ride, but then it'll really suck if I'm wrong.

2022-6-13
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is something a little worrisome in my mind!!!
2022-6-14
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, I mean I have the DJI Refresh plan, but I mean I'd rather have the confidence that it's going to stay connected to the mount.  
I was frustrated the first time it fell off, but when it happened a second time on the same ride, I was outright POed.  I pretty much exclusively use the camera on my bike, so if it's not a reliable mount any more, I'm stuck with an expensive paperweight.
2022-6-14
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Used the Action 2 without the case for a four hour ride yesterday.  Zero instances where recordings were stopped due to bumps in the road.

And the camera stayed firmly mounted the whole time.  I can't be 100% certain that it's fixed because it was a different route with different road conditions, but I took a detour through a gravel trail in the woods with no problems, so I'm fairly confident in blaming the magnetic case.
2022-6-19
Use props
MonoJonno
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yes. I dont trust the clips and magnet on a handlebar mount on my mountain bike (i did trust, but not after today). Today i had the action 2 (cam & front screen module) attached to the supplied magnetic attachment, screwed into a gopro type handlebar mount. I was riding a lumpy trail (similar in intensity to a rough old cobbled street) and the camera flew off the magnetic mount (it took an hour to find the camera and front screen which had separated and were buried in brambles). When i found the camera and front screen, i clipped it into the mount and gave it a wiggle and a shake. Side to side the clips are strong, and there is no movement. But shake it front to back and there a lot less strength, and there is wobble. So i guess what happened, was the clips eventually spread open and camera popped off the magnet. Also worth noting is the amount of noise that carries through to recorded video from the mount rattling. Ive only had my action 2 for 2 weeks. Given that cyclists and mountain bikers probably account for a big portion of action 2 purchasers, DJI should get on top of this, maybe manufacture a slim cage accessory that provides the security without increasing the overall footprint of the camera too much (unlike the smallrig cage which adds far too much additional area).
2022-6-19
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

MonoJonno Posted at 6-19 15:42
Yes. I dont trust the clips and magnet on a handlebar mount on my mountain bike (i did trust, but not after today). Today i had the action 2 (cam & front screen module) attached to the supplied magnetic attachment, screwed into a gopro type handlebar mount. I was riding a lumpy trail (similar in intensity to a rough old cobbled street) and the camera flew off the magnetic mount (it took an hour to find the camera and front screen which had separated and were buried in brambles). When i found the camera and front screen, i clipped it into the mount and gave it a wiggle and a shake. Side to side the clips are strong, and there is no movement. But shake it front to back and there a lot less strength, and there is wobble. So i guess what happened, was the clips eventually spread open and camera popped off the magnet. Also worth noting is the amount of noise that carries through to recorded video from the mount rattling. Ive only had my action 2 for 2 weeks. Given that cyclists and mountain bikers probably account for a big portion of action 2 purchasers, DJI should get on top of this, maybe manufacture a slim cage accessory that provides the security without increasing the overall footprint of the camera too much (unlike the smallrig cage which adds far too much additional area).

Out of curiosity, were you also using the magnetic case when this happened?
2022-6-19
Use props
MonoJonno
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jhoff80 Posted at 6-19 16:34
Out of curiosity, were you also using the magnetic case when this happened?

I used the case for the camera section, but not the case for the front screen. The front screen case causes a severe rattling sound when attached to the magnetic mount, even riding over slight bumps on smooth road causes a rattling sound. Its not that audible when riding, but it is very noticeable in video recordings.
2022-6-20
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Love how there's no comment from DJI, guess they clearly have moved on to caring about the Mini 3 and not the Action 2.
2022-6-23
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

For what it's worth, my Action 2 mount has been completely stable again... once I stopped using the garbage protective magnetic case.
2022-7-17
Use props
MonoJonno
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Its probably too big of a problem to rectify. I bought a ‘Telesin’ cage on amazon. No more rattling noises in recordings and no more anxiety about losing my action 2 mid bike ride.
2022-7-20
Use props
JesMar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155079 ft
United States

I bought these on Amazon. They help lock in the clips. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2022-7-21
Use props
djiuser_BNh4Av1NfZP6
New

United Kingdom

This is a bit late but I think I had the same issues as you described:

I've noticed that when i used my magnetic case whilst I'm recording and hit a bump that shakes the camera, it beeps and stops recording. And when I playback the footage, the video ends a few seconds before the moment that I hit a bump and the last few seconds or so of the video have the same frame. So I tried hitting some bumps whilst recording with no magnetic case (just the dji camera and battery module stuck together) and there were no beeps and the camera didn't stop recording! I think what might have been happening is the dji modules disconnected during the bump because of the case or the case pressed on one of the buttons and caused it to stop recording. So I think its best not use the dji magnetic case if you know that the camera will get shaken.

I attached my dji action 2 using a bike handlebar mount I bought from amazon when I was doing the things that I described above
2023-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules