6248 4 2022-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myshko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 313934 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Recently received a Mini 3, first drone and in general been enjoying learning and getting footage.

One issue I keep seeming to have is with focus.

The drone never seems to nail it, and often it's just completely out and even if you tap to aquire it just doesn't get sharp.

Here's an example from today:

You can see it try to lock on when I tap the cliff on the screen, but still stays out of focus.

With a small screen (and in sunlight) you can't judge focus easily, so the drone needs to do some of the work.

Pretty much everything from today is soft and out of focus, even stills.

Of course, I can set focus manually and use peaking but surely the autofocus should lock onto basic landscapes???

The '4K' footage is so soft it's bascially HD anyway, so until now I've been unsure if it was the footage is generally soft or if it was out of focus.

With a larger f1.6 aperture, getting things sharp is critical.

Is there some way to reset or recalibrate DJI drones? Is this typical?

Thanks for any help.

2022-6-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you have any examples?
2022-6-12
Use props
myshko
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-12 23:17
Do you have any examples?

Thanks DA,

This is the card from that day:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CPX_ZKjNYeaXHQTttgryopkTGNy-zvhr?usp=sharing

That's all out of focus right?

I checked the drone and it was defintely in AF mode.

Tested to see if the autofocus tracking was working by tapping the screen. At first it seemed like it was stuck, it would just rack slightly and then go back to where it was. So I set to manual and scrubbed through which seemed to work. Going back to AF and it seemed to be tracking correctly when screen tapping.

Maybe it was a temp issue and it got stuck?

Will have to keep an eye on it but hard to tell on a small screen (I'm using the RC with it's own screen).

Do people typically rely on the AF or use manual focus / set to infinity?
2022-6-14
Use props
myshko
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Did some tests today and the camera is definitely ok in a controlled environment.

Will just have to be concious of focusing when flying.
2022-6-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

myshko Posted at 6-14 02:39
Thanks DA,

This is the card from that day:

I tend to tap on the screen where I want the focus to be,   not really had any issues,   I did notice on the ground you can see a big difference taping the foreground vs the background.
2022-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules