Action 2 Nightlapse problem
473 7 2022-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Can someone tell me how to get rid of the light (orbs?) that always appear in front and around the moon or sun.   I'm assuming it's just a reflexion of light. I'd try an ND filter but I'm affraid it would be too dark.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks!
Action2LightOrbs.jpg
2022-6-14
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

*reflection
2022-6-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here in Forum. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-6-14
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

The search term you need is "lens flare".
2022-6-14
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the proper search term is "Lens flare".  Sorry I couldn't think of it.   Does anyone else have a good solution to limit this.  It doesn't matter what angle I'm shooting, I still get lens flare real bad.  It kind of ruins a good nightlapse.  Has anyone tried Tilta MCUV Filters?  I think this may be my next step.
2022-6-15
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Lens flare is caused by light bouncing between lens elements. The sure way to get rid of them is to change the angle between the lens and the light, but I don't know how much can you control this, and the action being very wide angle doesn't help either.

UV filters filter/block UV (invisible) light, so it won't help. A polarization filter might reduce the brightness of the light, while leaving other parts of the image "as is", but I don't know what happens with starlight. An ND filter will reduce the overall brightness and also the lens flare, but it darkens everything, i.e. you might loose parts of the image you want...

A very drastic approach that _might_ solve the issue is to remove the protective glass in front of the lens, but this means breaking the camera, voiding warranty, etc.. From your avatar, I guess that you have the Osmo Action, which has removable lens cover. Does it give you better results?
2022-6-16
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

fish sticks Posted at 6-16 00:05
Lens flare is caused by light bouncing between lens elements. The sure way to get rid of them is to change the angle between the lens and the light, but I don't know how much can you control this, and the action being very wide angle doesn't help either.

UV filters filter/block UV (invisible) light, so it won't help. A polarization filter might reduce the brightness of the light, while leaving other parts of the image "as is", but I don't know what happens with starlight. An ND filter will reduce the overall brightness and also the lens flare, but it darkens everything, i.e. you might loose parts of the image you want...

Thanks a lot for your reply.  I think you might have said the main reason for the problem and that's being the wide angle lens of the camera. It seems like no matter what angle I'm at, I still get bad lens flare.  I get this a little with the osmo action but mainly with direct light hitting the lens.  I don't think I'd want to take the glass off any camera for that long.  My luck, the camera would fall and break the lens.
2022-6-16
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

dgualazzi Posted at 6-16 08:15
Thanks a lot for your reply.  I think you might have said the main reason for the problem and that's being the wide angle lens of the camera. It seems like no matter what angle I'm at, I still get bad lens flare.  I get this a little with the osmo action but mainly with direct light hitting the lens.  I don't think I'd want to take the glass off any camera for that long.  My luck, the camera would fall and break the lens.

I was thinking maybe setting the camera to 4:3 instead of wide but it doesn't look like we can do that for a timelapse or nightlapse.  I don't know if that would even make a difference.
2022-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules