Absolute and relative height
3575 2 2022-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonoffun
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just bought the Mini 3 Pro. Set it to 120m max height and it didn't seem that high. When I looked at the SRT file I realised that I am 69m above sea level - so the drone height is only 51m above ground.

If I want to fly at 189m (120m +69m)  I have to accept a disclaimer that I am flying above 120m, which I am above sea level. I have double checked with the CAA that I can fly at 120m above ground level. So the disclaimer should only pop up if I am trying to fly 120m above ground level.

Can the software be altered to give 'relative' or 'absolute' height . The height slider is also very difficult to set manually at 120m - can we have a button to set the maximum height and another to give the option to set the height at +X'meters above ground level - with the +X defaulted to 120m (but user changeable - for those using the drone professionally).

I have loads of software ideas as I am totally new to drones and am seeing this with totally fresh and naive eyes. I understand from a prior thread there is also the issue of flying over a cliff edge and the impact that would have on flight height if the software was set to 120m above ground that is why the user interface and options would need to be well thought out.

Absolutely love the drone. Fantastic piece of technology. Thanks for creating it.

2022-6-15
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
Japan

The Mini 3 "Pro" is not a DJI Enterprise platform (any more than the Mavic 2 "Pro" is; perhaps even less so), which is the focus of this forum.

That being said, your Mini 3's altitude setting is indeed relative, not absolute. It is derived from barometric pressure, not GNSS, as the vertical accuracy of uncorrected GNSS is in the 10's of meters. The barometer on the drone is supposed to zero out while it is on the ground, and then altitude is computed using the changes in pressure as it climbs and descends.

If you've told the drone not to exceed 120 m AGL and are sure it is limiting out at less than half of that (by some means other than using the irrelevant absolute elevation of the location from SRTM), then there is something wrong with the sensor in the drone or it needs calibration. Try forcing a Home Point record and see if that helps.
Also, probably best to curb your expectations regarding feature requests and bug fix suggestions posted in these forums. The primary benefit of the forum is users helping other users... You'll quickly find that it is a somewhat rare occurrence for something posted here to even get a response from a DJI moderator, and rarer still for us to see an actual change or improvement in a DJI product based on it.
2022-6-15
Use props
Jonoffun
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I made my reply to a prior response - copied below, before I read your reply so apologise - just made the same error you warned me of (software request!). Still overwhelmed by the brilliant bit of kit and finding myself wanting to pop out and fly it every 5 minutes. I am happy with it as is, but as I play with Home Assistant I would like to incorporate it and use it for automated flights connected to sensors. Live stream back to Home Assistant as a webcam.

Copy of previous reply
"Thanks for replying - what is obvious to experienced flyers is not so obvious to the novice. So rel_alt max should always be 120m. What is the abs_alt at my take off point on the ground it reads -47m. That can't relate to height over sea level.

The reason I got confused is at 120m rel_alt - at maximum set flying height I show 73m abs_alt (120-47), so my flawed logic when I found the SRT file on replay, was I am 73m above "ground" (looking at the abs_alt) and 120m above sea level, reading the rel_alt. So if I am 120m above sea level I can add another 47m and fly at 167m - being 167 above sea level and 120m above ground height.

I don't really understand how abs_alt can be negative and show -47m when the drone is on the ground - I am definitely above sea level. Still a bit confused to be honest - but I accept that I should always set the height in the app to a max of 120m (actually 110 to account for undulating lower ground around me)

I have defaulted recording to slow motion (120fps) and it is such an improvement, normal flying and recording at 60fps is also good - but playback of 120fps is much easier to watch when making a turn.

Love the drone - still would like to be able to auto sequence specific features, like take off, start recording, rise to set height, follow flight path, return to base."
2022-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules