Active Track and RTH
2449 32 2022-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Dear DJI, today I tried the Active Track function while riding a mountain bike.  
Before leaving I set in case of signal loss with the remote controller not to do RTH but station on site so as not to have to return to the place of departure, even a few kilometers away to retrieve the drone.  
However, I had not taken into consideration another matter: after having come a long way in Active Track, the drone's battery naturally discharged and Low Battery RTH began, making it fly away back to the starting point.  
But what's the point of all this?  
It is also not practicable to manually and continuously update the Home Point while pedaling or running.  
Without the Low Battery RTH the battery could last for an additional minutes of Active Track.  
Then It should be possible to set, in the event of a certain percentage remaining battery, an acoustic signal and station on site, as for the Failsafe.
Best regards

2022-6-15
Use props
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609390 ft
Czechia

Hello, so low battery RTH does not accept same setting as Signal loss RTH? I would expect it. I used ActiveTrack for many times, but never into battery low lever so it never happend to me. Would be very surprised when drone would take ride back to "home"    Hope they'll fix it...
2022-6-15
Use props
mluidjdi
lvl.3
United States

Why not have the option to have it rth to where ever the remote is?
2022-8-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

ultimately a rth triggered by a low battery can be stopped.  the dji drone is not the ideal tracking drone but it kinda works for the most part.
2022-8-3
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

The Mavic Pro released in 2017 had Dynamic RTH !!!
2022-8-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why would setting a disconnection behaviour change an RTH behaviour? Have you read anything to suggest that it does?
Even in the event of a disconnection, a failsafe setting of hover will end up with a low battery RTH unless the controller is moved back into connection with the drone.

With some DJI drones it is, I believe, possible to reset the home point whilst the drone is actually RTH'ing, did you try ?
Did you cancel the low battery RTH and reset the home point to bring it to you?

From what you have written it sounds as if you made the flight without knowing how the drone will behave and with out knowing how to take corrective action, if that is the case who is at fault, you or the drone?
2022-8-3
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Who talked about disconnection?
2022-8-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 8-3 11:00
Who talked about disconnection?

You did, indirectly. "in case of signal loss with the remote controller not to do RTH but station on site so as not to have to return to the place of departure"
But did you notice that I wrote "Even in the event of a disconnection", I did not say that a disconnection actually occurred.
The failsafe setting governs ONLY the immediate response to a disconnection, nothing else.

It is not unreasonable or unexpected to be caught out by unexpected behaviours. These things a complicated and often it is our expectations that are flawed not the drone's behaviour. Yes I have been caught out by such things but on rereading the manual I have, ever time, found that the drone behaved as it was supposed to and that it was me that was at fault. e.g. https://forum.dji.com/thread-270615-1-1.html
For this reason, especially were multiple behaviours are involved, I like to make trial runs in a safe place and see how things play out before I encounter them in a real flight.
2022-8-3
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

So you are saying that since the drone behaves as specified in the manual, the problem does not exist: it is up to us to act accordingly.  
It's correct?  
But the behavior I highlighted is an annoying problem, because if the drone does RTH during an Active Track with obstacle avoidance it risks hitting a possible obstacle that is above it, since, first of all (first problem), it would rise. at the set quota of RTH.
After that it would go to the recorded RTH point which could be quite far away from you (second problem).  DJI has always added new functions and new behaviors precisely to solve the various problems that arise over time.  In fact, in the Mavic Pro the Dynamic Home Point has been added in a later firmware.
I don't see what's wrong with asking for a possible different drone behavior in the RTH settings.
2022-8-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 8-3 14:28
So you are saying that since the drone behaves as specified in the manual, the problem does not exist: it is up to us to act accordingly.  
It's correct?  
But the behavior I highlighted is an annoying problem, because if the drone does RTH during an Active Track with obstacle avoidance it risks hitting a possible obstacle that is above it, since, first of all (first problem), it would rise. at the set quota of RTH.

i think part of your frustration is that dji hasn't completely thought it out primarily because the drone is not adept at tracking.  and unlike the skydio which simply won't crash into anything no matter what (for the most part), there's a lot to consider.  perhaps you are asking for features like this, not every company has a nicole to explain it so clearly; see if there is something here you might like:

2022-8-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 8-3 14:28
It's correct?  

I am saying that the drone behaved correctly and that it was your expectations that were wrong. As such the problem was yours.

There is nothing wrong in asking for new features and yes, I agree, dynamic home point would be a useful feature. But you asked "But what's the point of all this?"  I attempted to explain.

But a dynamic homepoint is already 'sort of available', manually, you could have stopped and possibly have reset the home point once you saw that drone was RTH'ing whilst the drone was RTH'ing.
If resetting the home point whilst the drone is actually RTH'ing does not work with the Mini 3 then you could have cancelled the RTH, reset the home point to your location and restarted the RTH.Did you try either of those?

Your comments mix together two entirely separate things, Failsafe/loss-of-connection behaviour and RTH behaviour. The low battery RTH was/is not Failsafe behaviour.
As for Failsafe behaviour including RTH to a dynamically updated homepoint, that raises an interesting question, where would the last recorded homepoint be?
Would you stop and wait for the drone to head for the last recorded home point or, if you continued moving, would you hope that the RTH would bring it back into connection?  Similarily, with regards to Low-battery-RTH, if that was to a dynamically updated homepoint would you continue to move whilst the drone was attempting to return to you? You might be moving further away from the drone...lengthening the flight to safety possibly too far.

2022-8-3
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-3 18:34
I am saying that the drone behaved correctly and that it was your expectations that were wrong. As such the problem was yours.

There is nothing wrong in asking for new features and yes, I agree, dynamic home point would be a useful feature. But you asked "But what's the point of all this?"  I attempted to explain.

You're struggling to justify the drone's behavior… ..if you're happy so much better for you.
Then you forget that in case of Low Battery the controller warns you acoustically and, therefore, it would be enough for the drone to stop where it is in order to easily recover it.  
The improvements in drone functionality are always due to user feedback.
2022-8-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 8-3 23:15
You're struggling to justify the drone's behavior… ..if you're happy so much better for you.
Then you forget that in case of Low Battery the controller warns you acoustically and, therefore, it would be enough for the drone to stop where it is in order to easily recover it.  
The improvements in drone functionality are always due to user feedback.

I am not struggling to justify anything, the drone behaved as it should, if you did not know how the drone would behave then that is your fault, not the drone's.

2022-8-4
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 00:29
I am not struggling to justify anything, the drone behaved as it should, if you did not know how the drone would behave then that is your fault, not the drone's.

In the use of a smart device, various automatisms are provided.  These automatisms should cover the various usage scenarios and the particular needs of the user.  In fact, in the case of failsafe, DJI has provided flexibility in the automation, letting the pilot choose the behavior of the drone.  The same thing should be done in case of Low Battery.  That's all.  The pilot is solely responsible for the flight and should determine what kind of automation should be performed.
2022-8-4
Use props
djiuser_437VUZ7BViXQ
New

Israel

mluidjdi Posted at 2022-8-3 07:27
Why not have the option to have it rth to where ever the remote is?

that makes a lot of sense, I had the same thought myself
2023-5-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

The home point can be set anywhere. What prevents you from pointing to the end of your trip, and then start driving with tracking?
2023-5-7
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

If you had read carefully you wouldn't have asked this question.
2023-5-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 5-7 10:30
If you had read carefully you wouldn't have asked this question.

I carefully read, and your problem is close to me.
Since the drone cannot automatically update the home point to the remote controller. This is a workaround so that the drone does not fly to the beginning of the route when the battery is dead, but to where you are going. As the distance to the new point of the house decreases, the flight time increases and the drone may not turn on the return home mode due to a decrease in battery capacity.
2023-5-7
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-7 18:20
I carefully read, and your problem is close to me.
Since the drone cannot automatically update the home point to the remote controller. This is a workaround so that the drone does not fly to the beginning of the route when the battery is dead, but to where you are going. As the distance to the new point of the house decreases, the flight time increases and the drone may not turn on the return home mode due to a decrease in battery capacity.

The end of the route is a few dozen KM away from where I started.

It's not feasible.
2023-5-7
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I reckon the option to fly back where ever the radio is as an Option without the need to stop an emergency landing it is a great idea...
2023-5-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 5-7 22:51
The end of the route is a few dozen KM away from where I started.

It's not feasible.

If such a long distance, then in any case the drone will not reach the finish line, even if the remote control is always the home point. So you were planning to pick up a drone.
Then you can set the point closer to the house. Then change the battery and continue driving. And indicate a new home point further along the route.
2023-5-8
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Remote control cannot be set as a home point.
2023-5-8
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

I’m confused; it sounds as though you were ignoring the basic rules about flying a drone and were then surprised when the drone did as it does.
2023-5-22
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Please don't get confused….
It's just that you only realize how wrong these rules are when you see them in the field.
New firmware releases often serve to change the rules of the drone.
2023-5-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 5-8 01:48

Yes it can. Not dynamic, but it can be set as HP.
2023-5-22
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

When the pilot is being tracked, as in this case, only the dynamic mode is needed
2023-5-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 5-8 01:48

That is incorrect but it is a static home point.

''When the pilot is being tracked, as in this case, only the dynamic mode is needed'', for you in the circumstances of this thread, you might want this option but others have different wants.
For clarity I repeat a dynamic home point would be useful to many people, is Litchi available for the Mini 3 Pro yet? From memory Litchi has a dynamic home point setting, whether or not it actuially works I do not know.
2023-5-22
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Of course I was talking about dynamic home point. In fact, in my first post I said:

“But what's the point of all this? It is also not practicable to manually and continuously update the Home Point while pedaling or running. “
2023-5-22
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-22 22:30
That is incorrect but it is a static home point.

''When the pilot is being tracked, as in this case, only the dynamic mode is needed'', for you in the circumstances of this thread, you might want this option but others have different wants.

“ you might want this option but others have different wants.”

Having an additional dynamic home point option doesn't detract from what others have different wants.
2023-5-22
Use props
djiuser_SwgXPHgTqxAj
lvl.2

Poland

I really dont get it. The thread is not about a bug in the firmware or the app. It relates to a requirements that missed a usecase scenario. If your TV would turn off when you press mute button, or change channels when you press volume up button, even if the manual says so, it wouldnt be okay and logical even if there is a workaround. If the drone is capable od tracking and some kind of autonomous flight, it would be quite obvious that the pilot might be tracked for a longer period distance, and the original launch point is now unmanned. There is a few ways to resolve the issue, either by a dynamic Home location, which is the most obvious one, The other is to have a second option to set the behaviour upon battery low level. This is a suggestion to DJI to add missing feature.
2023-5-26
Use props
HjxQRSeH5V58
lvl.4
Italy

djiuser_SwgXPHgTqxAj Posted at 5-26 06:17
I really dont get it. The thread is not about a bug in the firmware or the app. It relates to a requirements that missed a usecase scenario. If your TV would turn off when you press mute button, or change channels when you press volume up button, even if the manual says so, it wouldnt be okay and logical even if there is a workaround. If the drone is capable od tracking and some kind of autonomous flight, it would be quite obvious that the pilot might be tracked for a longer period distance, and the original launch point is now unmanned. There is a few ways to resolve the issue, either by a dynamic Home location, which is the most obvious one, The other is to have a second option to set the behaviour upon battery low level. This is a suggestion to DJI to add missing feature.

Kind words.
Who knows why for so many what is written in the manual is unquestionable.
2023-5-26
Use props
fansf8db0d9c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31801 ft
United States

HjxQRSeH5V58 Posted at 2022-8-3 08:17
The Mavic Pro released in 2017 had Dynamic RTH !!!

...and it had a rotating camera! Sometimes I wish I had kept mine.
2023-10-15
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

For these cases it would be good to have a Smart RTH. Maybe if the control more than a given distance from the home point, RTH comes to the control. If the control is within the given distance of home, the home is used as normal.
2023-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules