Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Newbie Question: How to deal with Authorisation Zones in the UK?
1534 10 2022-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Today I cycled through Huddersfield in West Yorkshire (UK) and thought I'd take some photos over the football stadium.
But I noticed that I was in an Authorisation Zone. I didn't know what to do, so I packed my drone away.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get authorisation for this football stadium or other sports venues in the country?
Do I need to contact the stadium, the CAA?
Can I get permission in advance and when I'm not at the location, or do I need to be at the location?
Once permission is granted, is it for life or for a set period of time?

Thank you.
2022-6-15
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Have a look here, I'd forget it if it was me, hope it helps. https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/introduction
2022-6-15
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have to regularly go through the process to allow me to fly in an authorisation zone of an airport. Its a bit of a faff but nothing too taxing. You need to register your drone on DJI's Flysafe website first and foremost.

You have a choice of requesting authorisation of a whole zone or you draw a custom area within a zone. I do the former as it doesn't ask for an altitude or supporting documents like the custom one does. The downside is the zone request is only 3 days at a time, you simply pick which day for it to start. I have no idea of what happens behind the scenes, but once you click 'request' it gives an answer within a few seconds. It's always been granted. I suspect its simply an auto system that collects serial numbers for accountability should something happen. You have to put a reason in a text box, in my case I've been writing 'low level flight within woodland', but again, I have no idea of how critical this is.

All that said, I'm not sure I'd want to be flying over a football stadium, but I'm not judging as we all have to make our own risk assessment.
2022-6-15
Use props
MS
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you both very much for your help. (I'm still waiting for email notifications that anyone has replied).

The football stadium would have been empty, as the football season is over in the UK.
2022-6-15
Use props
MS
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Edit:
I've been to the DJI FlySafe site, registered myself and the controller's serial number.
As I progressed I selected the Mini 3 and drew a poloyogon around the area.
But became stuck on the upload a document file to prove you've got permission part.

2022-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MS. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. For us to be able to assist you with regards to this matter. Kindly please contact our DJI FlySafe department by sending an email to flysafe@dji.com for us to be able to assist you. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-6-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11195374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't be that guy.  Stay away from stadiums no matter what the need unless working commercially.
2022-6-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If its an orange band then normally you can just fly unless it actually prevents you from doing so.
Example, I live near 3 RAF bases and other smaller airports, if i look at the DJI Fly safe map, i can see that i am in an authorisation zone (Orage band around airport) and it says to unlock it. No need, just fly as normal and it will probably popup a box to tick and clock ok that you're aware of where you're flying, I'm paraphrasing a little but you get the idea... fly if its orange....
2022-6-15
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is how to unlock on site

Set up as if you are going to fly. Pull the two sticks together to take off.
The first time you do this an unlock message will appear.
It will ask you for your mobile number. Input your mobile number
You will receive a code by Text. Input the code
You will then be asked to tick 3 boxes…… Tick them if you feel comfortable doing so
You can now take off. Sometimes you will need to tick another box

You can not obtain permission to fly in certain areas as it is against the law. No one can grant permission to break the law
Sometimes you need to restart the app and do it all again because sometimes unlock fails. I think also your RC or screen that you use to fly has to be connected to the internet
2022-6-15
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MS Posted at 6-15 12:29
As I progressed I selected the Mini 3 and drew a poloyogon around the area.
But became stuck on the upload a document file to prove you've got permission part.

That's why I never use the custom option.
2022-6-15
Use props
MS
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Awesome. Thank you all very much for your help
2022-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules