Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 2 is amazing but there are some simple things to improve!
1373 21 2022-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 958717 ft
Canada

I've got two of these things and really love them.

There are some small tweaks that would make it even better.

1) When you switch different speeds (cine, standard, sport) it puts up a tile on the screen the blocks your view. Is that really necessary? Could it be transparent so I can still see my subject? Could it be not blocking my view? Is it necessary at all? It's like holding a hand in front of your face.

2) Sometimes I can't read the altitude or other information because the color of the camera content is too close to the color of the font. Perhaps if I touch that part of the screen the numers could enlarge or the background color could be changed to something contrasting?

3) When you fly and forward and keep the map partially visible at the left the little drone pointer is at the edge of the screen so you can't see ahead of it. What's the point of seeing what's behind you? Or could the thing just stay in the middle of the screen? Like every ther gps.

4) Could there be a home point that's just whereever the controller is? Cell phones have a gps and if you want to walk across a field why not be able to have the home point follow you? What if you're on a boat? What if you're filming a moving subject?

5) The constant beeping when low on battery doesn't add much value. I can dismiss the text warning, why not the beeping? It disrupts other people and other drone fliers too.

6) What's the point of a loud voice announcing when a quickshot is about to start? It's just more noise for nothing.

7) What about a headless flying mode? It'd certainly reduce the workload when trying to film anything other than straight forward.

8) What about a coast mode? Once you initiate it, the drone will hold a constant speed. So you push the stick forward for a sec, the drone starts moving forward. When you release, it keeps going. To slow down or stop pull back or hit pause to exit the mode. This would be amazing. You could have smooth movement. If it could also work in headless mode that'd be amaziing since you could rotate the aircraft while drifting.

1) Why start renumbering photos at such a low number? It creates duplicate names, that's nuts. What about something usefull like DJI_YYYY-MM-DD_HHMMSS. Then the pictures from multiple devices could be sorted chronologically. Jesus I have two of these that often fly at the same time, it creates more work load when I'm working with the files. Plus if I mix the photos with my cell phone which uses dropboxes YYYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS then everything is in a useless order. And my DJI stuff is in multiple folders due to name duplicates... but everything that's non DJI is all oranized perfectly chronologically. Yes that's right, I started to renumber my points for nothing. See what I mean?

2) When you click record button (right index) it beeps. When you turn off the record it also beeps. The two beeps are realy similar. Could it be more different so one could tell the difference consistently? Ever do a mission with the camera off when you thought it was on? It'd be great if the two sounds of start stop were sufficiently different. [This item added 2022-July-28].  

One can work around all this stuff but it'd be nice to have an even better user experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love M2 but isn't this stuff low hanging fruit? I know software/firmware isn't trivial. And they want to spread out resources over other project and newer drones. But these sorts of things are reusable across different machines.

2022-6-15
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

inventorArtist, Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  About #2, I have been fighting with this since the 1980's when they had automatic coloring sections of programing for Internet Service
Providers.  Some examples:  Cyan on light white, Light Green on Black, Yellow on Dark Green, and so on.  It takes someone who has knowledge
of what it takes to accomplish clear sight to design a NEW Color Wheel for Electronics.  I would think that you could use one of the programable
buttons as a Coast or Cruise button, move your speed stick to the position you want then tap the programable button, then it would lock until the programable
button or the speed stick is moved again.
2022-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there inventorArtist. Good day and thank you for reaching out. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-6-15
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quite simply, DJI are not going to bother changing much on the Mini2 now that the Mini 3 is out.  Any firmware updates will simply be bug fixes.
2022-6-15
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-15 19:29
Hello there inventorArtist. Good day and thank you for reaching out. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.

Thanks for the note!
2022-6-15
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

CallMeAlan Posted at 6-15 22:59
Quite simply, DJI are not going to bother changing much on the Mini2 now that the Mini 3 is out.  Any firmware updates will simply be bug fixes.

Yeah, if we're lucky enough to get those!

Original Osmo Pocket still has bugs a couple of years after the Pocket 2 obsoleted it.
2022-6-16
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

The one thing I agree on is a coast mode or in other words “cruise control” but would want that feature added to all drones as I own the Mavic 3 and Mini 2 and would really like cruise control on Mavic 3.
2022-6-16
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 6-16 09:02
The one thing I agree on is a coast mode or in other words “cruise control” but would want that feature added to all drones as I own the Mavic 3 and Mini 2 and would really like cruise control on Mavic 3.

I agree, it's potentially a very valuable feature.

The question is how to do it safely and make it easy to use.

Also if DJI wants to do it.

2022-6-16
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

inventorArtist Posted at 6-16 10:03
I agree, it's potentially a very valuable feature.

The question is how to do it safely and make it easy to use.

Well one thing I remember someone said on Dji forum once was that they had bought some thing that goes onto the control stick and when you move it it stays in that position so if Dji never does cruise control maybe that could work then again it would be nice to have something that you could deactivate instead of unscrewing the control sticks everytime.
2022-6-16
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 6-16 10:47
Well one thing I remember someone said on Dji forum once was that they had bought some thing that goes onto the control stick and when you move it it stays in that position so if Dji never does cruise control maybe that could work then again it would be nice to have something that you could deactivate instead of unscrewing the control sticks everytime.

Well that's an interesting concept.

What I did once or twice was fly without the sticks installed. Then you can pinch down on the yoke of the controller and hold it in place with your thumb. This allowed me to get some smooth motions that were in diagonal direction (forward and to one side)...

Perhaps there is a good product or hack to make the sticks stay in one place....
2022-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there inventorArtist. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any inquiries or any concerns with DJI in the future. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2022-6-16
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Use the Maven app.  does just about everything you want.  

-Waypoint Mission
-GPS Follow/Track ME
-VR with Head Tracking
-Polygonal Geofence
-Headless Mode (Course Lock, Home Lock)
-Cable Cam
-Automatic Orbit
2022-6-17
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

Rockbyter Posted at 6-17 11:35

-Waypoint Mission

Thanks for this, I'll have a try!
2022-6-23
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Rockbyter Posted at 6-17 11:35

-Waypoint Mission

Yes, it does, but not so well in some cases. For instance, in my experience the Orbit shots are jumpy and the ones you can get from the original app are far much better, even if the configuration options are more limited.
Some other features are amazing and they work as expected (for instance, the Active Tracking).
2022-6-23
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4) Could there be a home point that's just whereever the controller is? Cell phones have a gps and if you want to walk across a field why not be able to have the home point follow you? What if you're on a boat? What if you're filming a moving subject?

Just go to "Safety" in the menu and click update your home point. I know it's a bit off a faff but if your going a lot further than your original home point, then it's something worth trying.
2022-6-23
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 6-23 05:08
4) Could there be a home point that's just whereever the controller is? Cell phones have a gps and if you want to walk across a field why not be able to have the home point follow you? What if you're on a boat? What if you're filming a moving subject?

Just go to "Safety" in the menu and click update your home point. I know it's a bit off a faff but if your going a lot further than your original home point, then it's something worth trying.

Yes we can update the home-point. But not to you, to the drone.

So you'd have to fly to yourself, set the home point, then return to your mission.

Unless you do that your new home point is in a faraway and not necessarily safe area.
2022-6-23
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Italy

inventorArtist Posted at 6-23 06:44
Yes we can update the home-point. But not to you, to the drone.

So you'd have to fly to yourself, set the home point, then return to your mission.

Maybe you don't know all the features of the app, but the home point can be updated at drone point, at the RC point and also choosing whatever point you want on the map.
2022-6-23
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

FabioV Posted at 6-23 08:16
Maybe you don't know all the features of the app, but the home point can be updated at drone point, at the RC point and also choosing whatever point you want on the map.

Thank you for this I will check that.

It will be handy to know.
2022-6-23
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

I use a mixture, for general flying I prefer the Fly app but for heading mode Maven.  Or the return to home on fly app and use the yaw and gimbal to get the affect of a heading/cable shot.
2022-6-23
Use props
djiuser_VCZDG1WT1ovL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 623120 ft
Romania

I really like the ideas you've suggested
2022-6-23
Use props
inventorArtist
lvl.2
Canada

Rockbyter Posted at 6-23 10:24
I use a mixture, for general flying I prefer the Fly app but for heading mode Maven.  Or the return to home on fly app and use the yaw and gimbal to get the affect of a heading/cable shot.

Maven looks interesting. It seems to be iPhone only and I am using an android. I do have an iPad, perhaps I'll see if it works on that.
2022-6-24
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Italy

djiuser_VCZDG1WT1ovL Posted at 6-23 23:04
I really like the ideas you've suggested

It’s also possible to switch between apps during the flight. Just let the drone hovering, close the app and open the other one.
2022-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules