New Mavic 3 Firmware Released (6/16/2022)
7037 78 2022-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_KcmJZTupL6Hu
lvl.1
Brazil

I'm having trouble doing the first update to the mini 3 with the mini2 controller. When it gets to 80% and it fails code -4000, has anyone experienced this?
2022-6-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 01:27
Half full = positive thinking. I think M3 has improved greatly since last two Fw.

Yes it did but my Lemon still has no working Airsense and with a helicopter passing within 500 meters near me at 90 meters high shows in the map but gives no warning tells me somethings are still broken so drone is still incomplete no matter what other improvements there is
2022-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Suren Posted at 6-17 11:11
Yes it did but my Lemon still has no working Airsense and with a helicopter passing within 500 meters near me at 90 meters high shows in the map but gives no warning tells me somethings are still broken so drone is still incomplete no matter what other improvements there is

Don’t know what that is, but Airsense works fine on mine but I never use it, I fly 4 different drones two have it two don’t Its very limited in what it does and can be annoying .
2022-6-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 11:40
Don’t know what that is, but Airsense works fine on mine but I never use it, I fly 4 different drones two have it two don’t Its very limited in what it does and can be annoying .

I gave up as well on Airsense. Now I just fly and enjoy but use the Mini 3 Pro much more as it is so amazing. I mostly only fly the Mavic 3 when it's windy now.
2022-6-17
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

TonyPHX Posted at 6-17 10:18
Probably no harm doing that Alex.  I updated to the 800 and the only change I see is that the IMU calibration works/finishes.  (I did not need IMU cal, I just like to tinker...)

After bricking my MP in 2017 during FW update and waiting for 3 weeks to be repaired (DJI exchanged motherboard) I prefer to avoid if not necessary FW updates
2022-6-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 05:44
So its acceptable for the drone to over shoot into the side of a house because you want a smooth stop. Never heard of this. There are many different filming modes I’ve seen in drones that purposely allow the drone to slowly come to a stop, but these are for actual filming. If I want my drone to smoothly stop I can easily manually do this and even easier in Cine mode. But I definitely want it to stop if I release my fingers from the sticks, why would I need it to keep going without any control from me.

When I say overshoot, I mean like 30cm at a slow pace. At the moment the M3 stops so hard that it's causing issues. You say you've never heard of it, but your drone does it.. The second you let go of the sticks, there is a slowing down process to bring it to a stop, this is what I'm referring to and you know that when you let go of the sticks the drone won't stop at that exact second on the exact spot because it has to slow down.

I may have found out how to recreate the oscillations, which are actually pretty scary and look as if the drone is out of control. I just need to get a gopro on my head and film it in action.  
2022-6-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 05:38
What threshold? Compass that is not correct is wrong , a threshold are you saying the pilot will know how much the compass is off so he can make allowances , that would be ridiculous. Where are you getting this information from ?

The compass has a tolerance level which the drone sees fit to allow or disallow flights, you can see it in the green/amber/red bars of the compass section in all the drone apps. If you stand next to a large ferrous object the compass will deviate enough for the drone to say that you need to carry out a compass calibration because it's beyond what it feels is acceptable to carry out a flight.

If the compass didn't have a tolerance then everyone would be having to recalibrate at every flight or the second they flew near a ferrous object.

If you want me to prove this to you, take off from the roof of your car and hover about 100ft up and watch the drone yaw in the air as the compass begins to correct itself. The car's roof will have skewed the compass readout, but not enough to stop you from being able to take off. If you tried to shoot a timelapse you'd see this yawing, like the person was saying they saw in their footage.
2022-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-17 12:11
The compass has a tolerance level which the drone sees fit to allow or disallow flights, you can see it in the green/amber/red bars of the compass section in all the drone apps. If you stand next to a large ferrous object the compass will deviate enough for the drone to say that you need to carry out a compass calibration because it's beyond what it feels is acceptable to carry out a flight.

If the compass didn't have a tolerance then everyone would be having to recalibrate at every flight or the second they flew near a ferrous object.

Thats nothing to do with a tolerance, of course you can take off and we have seen many make that mistake. Thats not tolerance thats a mistake by the pilot. If you stand close to or put your drone on a piece of metal of course it will affect your compass. Calibrating in this area will surely be detrimental to you drone as soon as you take off. If you get Mag interference “move away no need to calibrate your compass is fine. Read below and you will learn what happens when compass gets mag interference, what the result is Yaw error caused by conflict with compass and IMU, no amount of calibrating will help taking off near mag interference areas including compass tolerance. If you are trying to fly with compass off line then your flight will be completely off line. What you are referring to with hyperlapse is just the tolerance from gps not compass.

I will try to explain.
First if you start up your Aircraft in a safe area, without taking off lift up your Aircraft by hand and rotate 90 degrees, both compass and IMU will follow to this new heading, so no problem this is how it should be.
Taking off from mag interference ground will cause your compass to move it’s heading this does not always show up in your app, so it will still allow you to take off.
Once you take off and get clear of mag interference your compass will then correct itself but the movement made by compass causes confusion in your IMU because it is designed to move with compass.
This you will see reported on your app as yaw error IMU exceptional heading compass error, switch to Atti mode, etc and almost certain crash.
2022-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-17 12:02
When I say overshoot, I mean like 30cm at a slow pace. At the moment the M3 stops so hard that it's causing issues. You say you've never heard of it, but your drone does it.. The second you let go of the sticks, there is a slowing down process to bring it to a stop, this is what I'm referring to and you know that when you let go of the sticks the drone won't stop at that exact second on the exact spot because it has to slow down.

I may have found out how to recreate the oscillations, which are actually pretty scary and look as if the drone is out of control. I just need to get a gopro on my head and film it in action.

flying a drone and breaking I want my drone to stop as quick as it can, thats why I take my hands off the sticks, drifting after breaking is just the momentum of the speed when I released the sticks, if I want the drone to stop more smoothly I just let off the elevator more smoothly and so the breaking is more smoothly, the same driving a car piloting a boat or any mode of transport. In other words I’m in control of how smoothly my craft slows or stops.

If you’re banking the drone and just let off the sticks then you will get an obvious result but if you’re banking and let off smoothly you get a different result. But yes I’m more than happy my drone stops when I let off the sticks, if I want it to smoothly stop thats just controlling it and thats more than possible with this drone.
2022-6-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 13:07
flying a drone and breaking I want my drone to stop as quick as it can, thats why I take my hands off the sticks, drifting after breaking is just the momentum of the speed when I released the sticks, if I want the drone to stop more smoothly I just let off the elevator more smoothly and so the breaking is more smoothly, the same driving a car piloting a boat or any mode of transport. In other words I’m in control of how smoothly my craft slows or stops.

If you’re banking the drone and just let off the sticks then you will get an obvious result but if you’re banking and let off smoothly you get a different result. But yes I’m more than happy my drone stops when I let off the sticks, if I want it to smoothly stop thats just controlling it and thats more than possible with this drone.

Except it doesn't smoothly stop, no matter how smoothly you try to stop it. The transition from 1% to 0% causes the drone to make a violent move to halt it. None of the other DJI drones do this, unless a user has turned the brake settings up all the way.

I encourage you to fly very slowly and come to a stop. See how hard it jerks to come to a stop, totally unnecessary and in some circumstances it ruins a shot. But what it does also do on occasion is causes an oscillation due to the PID tuning being set too high.

I'm going to post a video here soon to show the issue and then perhaps you'll understand what I'm getting at.

As for our discussion on the compass, I think you and I are on completely different pages.
2022-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-17 14:08
Except it doesn't smoothly stop, no matter how smoothly you try to stop it. The transition from 1% to 0% causes the drone to make a violent move to halt it. None of the other DJI drones do this, unless a user has turned the brake settings up all the way.

I encourage you to fly very slowly and come to a stop. See how hard it jerks to come to a stop, totally unnecessary and in some circumstances it ruins a shot. But what it does also do on occasion is causes an oscillation due to the PID tuning being set too high.

I don’t have problems with allowing the drone to smoothly stop and its really worth practicing allowing the drone to over shoot what it is you’re filming
2022-6-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 14:31
I don’t have problems with allowing the drone to smoothly stop and its really worth practicing allowing the drone to over shoot what it is you’re filming

Like I said, in some circumstances it can ruin a shot. Namely the one where you have to fly as slowly as possible and low to the ground. One slip to 0% input and the drone flicks to a stop, which produces a visible judder on the footage. That's literally the only scenario.

No other drone, in the ten years I've been doing this, has behaved this way unless I had tuned it to fly that way. All other DJI drones have, by default, their brake settings at the perfect level, so if you can't see that the M3 is any different then there's no point in us discussing this.
2022-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-17 14:47
Like I said, in some circumstances it can ruin a shot. Namely the one where you have to fly as slowly as possible and low to the ground. One slip to 0% input and the drone flicks to a stop, which produces a visible judder on the footage. That's literally the only scenario.

No other drone, in the ten years I've been doing this, has behaved this way unless I had tuned it to fly that way. All other DJI drones have, by default, their brake settings at the perfect level, so if you can't see that the M3 is any different then there's no point in us discussing this.

Maybe post some samples and we can see this spoiling and juddering , But I have no difficulty in bringing the drone to a stop without this what you are talking about.
2022-6-17
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

djiuser_KcmJZTupL6Hu Posted at 6-17 10:28
I'm having trouble doing the first update to the mini 3 with the mini2 controller. When it gets to 80% and it fails code -4000, has anyone experienced this?

your are on the wrong forum page.post it on Mavic 3 Mini
2022-6-18
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 6-16 04:13
All drones have a brake setting, that is, how hard it comes to a stop when the sticks are returned to the centre point. This setting is usually something that can be changed and DJI Go4 used to allow this. DJI fly doesn't, as with a lot of other useful settings that DJI feels we shouldn't have control over.

The Mavic 3 comes to an incredibly harsh stop when the sticks are released, even if the user gently returns them back. The drone should be set, like all other DJI drones, to come to a gentle and smooth stop, even if this means that it overruns the intended stopping point. (All drones overrun the stop point, as they can't stop on a dime, but it's how gently this happens is what's the issue here.)

Excellent explanation CloudVisual. I thought it was just me not being familiar with the DJI Fly app. This control needs to be put back in the software. Why they take functionality like this out is beyond me.

My guess is that since they have implemented DJI Care, putting the BRAKES on this abruptly reduces the chances of the drone actually hitting something and costing DJI a replacement drone or repair. I find that when something that was once a benefit to the user is taken away for no good sense, just follow the money and you will get your answer. I know, a bit cynical but why else would it be removed?
2022-6-18
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 05:44
So its acceptable for the drone to over shoot into the side of a house because you want a smooth stop. Never heard of this. There are many different filming modes I’ve seen in drones that purposely allow the drone to slowly come to a stop, but these are for actual filming. If I want my drone to smoothly stop I can easily manually do this and even easier in Cine mode. But I definitely want it to stop if I release my fingers from the sticks, why would I need it to keep going without any control from me.

Sorry Captain, I have to agree with CloudVisual on this one. The Mavic 3  braking is equivalent to stamping on the brakes in your car while pulling the emergency break. OVERKILL The reason you want to smooth out this action if for no other reason is his explanation of flying in a diagonal direction and then moving to head strait. The drone will flinch when the stick crosses that lateral movement threshold from right or left to forward.
2022-6-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 14:31

"I don't have a problem"...
Like you are the only one here and is only your opinion that matters...
Autel have a mode called Dual Stability, where is making all moves with increased smooth, no sudden breaking.
It would be good to add this to Mavic 3 as is at present so called flagship for prosumers.
And David, if you don't use it because you can crash into a wall, this does not mean that is bad....this means that some are making things in other way  than you do.
I also vote for this Exp on movements, have used it and is pretty useful, even if need a little more PRO approach.
2022-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-18 22:29
"I don't have a problem"...
Like you are the only one here and is only your opinion that matters...
Autel have a mode called Dual Stability, where is making all moves with increased smooth, no sudden breaking.

You keep going on about autel drones, autel first need to get their drones flying straight.
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CreativeSky Posted at 6-18 21:07
Sorry Captain, I have to agree with CloudVisual on this one. The Mavic 3  braking is equivalent to stamping on the brakes in your car while pulling the emergency break. OVERKILL The reason you want to smooth out this action if for no other reason is his explanation of flying in a diagonal direction and then moving to head strait. The drone will flinch when the stick crosses that lateral movement threshold from right or left to forward.

Post the sample you’re talking about . Would also help to show how you are accomplishing this with other drones. That way we can see if it can or cannot be done. Cloud Visual still hasn't posted.
2022-6-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 00:13
Post the sample you’re talking about . Would also help to show how you are accomplishing this with other drones. That way we can see if it can or cannot be done. Cloud Visual still hasn't posted.

M3 and Air 2s comparison. A nice gradual slow down from the Air 2s as it slides to a stop. A harsh and jerky stop from the M3, when the sticks are gently returned to the home points.
2022-6-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CreativeSky Posted at 6-18 21:07
Sorry Captain, I have to agree with CloudVisual on this one. The Mavic 3  braking is equivalent to stamping on the brakes in your car while pulling the emergency break. OVERKILL The reason you want to smooth out this action if for no other reason is his explanation of flying in a diagonal direction and then moving to head strait. The drone will flinch when the stick crosses that lateral movement threshold from right or left to forward.

I am VERY pleased that you understood my point about diagonal flying and then seeing it flick. I was starting to think that this was just me experiencing this.
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-19 02:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLz2zsiKis

M3 and Air 2s comparison. A nice gradual slow down from the Air 2s as it slides to a stop. A harsh and jerky stop from the M3, when the sticks are gently returned to the home points.

Thats not my point, I’m purely talking about the problem that can’t be overcome when filming.
2022-6-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 02:52
Thats not my point, I’m purely talking about the problem that can’t be overcome when filming.

Well the point I'm trying to prove is that the brake setting is too high on this drone. You were adamant that you could bring the drone to a gentle stop and this video just shows the harsh stop it makes.

My next video will show the diagonal flight issue, which causes it to uncontrollably oscillate. Very rarely do I have a gut-wrenching moment when flying, but every time it oscillates it looks like it's about to fall out the sky and it's caused me to lose confidence in this drone - something I don't think I've said since owning the S800 some nine years ago.
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 6-19 03:09
Well the point I'm trying to prove is that the brake setting is too high on this drone. You were adamant that you could bring the drone to a gentle stop and this video just shows the harsh stop it makes.

My next video will show the diagonal flight issue, which causes it to uncontrollably oscillate. Very rarely do I have a gut-wrenching moment when flying, but every time it oscillates it looks like it's about to fall out the sky and it's caused me to lose confidence in this drone - something I don't think I've said since owning the S800 some nine years ago.

I think we may be talking about two separate things here. I’m only talking about Mavic 3s ability to film, I’m not talking about how it stops when flying, as I said in earlier post I can bring the filming to a smooth stop very easily, but the drone will always come to a stop.
So if I require a smooth end or transition it’s not a problem on Mavic 3, if I require Mavic 3 to stop then that is also not a problem. The fact that it stops abruptly when flying doesn’t scare me into thinking its going to drop from the sky. I’ve been flying it now 7 months and I trust it more than any other drone I’ve flown. My point is strictly in filming and I believe a much slower mode of cine controlled flying is also to be introduced with further FW gives me great expectations regarding filming.
2022-6-19
Use props
Charly72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9628960 ft
Italy

hi, with firmware .800 on android 12 and djifly 1.6.6 the drone lost control of me while I was returning to the manual, I was no longer driving it, I had to press the rth on the rc to get it back.
Screenshot_20220618-223156_Airdata_UAV[1].jpg
2022-6-19
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

hallmark007 Posted at 6-19 03:31
I think we may be talking about two separate things here. I’m only talking about Mavic 3s ability to film, I’m not talking about how it stops when flying, as I said in earlier post I can bring the filming to a smooth stop very easily, but the drone will always come to a stop.
So if I require a smooth end or transition it’s not a problem on Mavic 3, if I require Mavic 3 to stop then that is also not a problem. The fact that it stops abruptly when flying doesn’t scare me into thinking its going to drop from the sky. I’ve been flying it now 7 months and I trust it more than any other drone I’ve flown. My point is strictly in filming and I believe a much slower mode of cine controlled flying is also to be introduced with further FW gives me great expectations regarding filming.

really admire you explaining  all these points patiently  and learning from you thanks hallmark
2022-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

akozc Posted at 6-19 09:30
really admire you explaining  all these points patiently  and learning from you thanks hallmark

Your welcome, fly safe.
2022-6-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

CloudVisual Posted at 6-19 03:09
Well the point I'm trying to prove is that the brake setting is too high on this drone. You were adamant that you could bring the drone to a gentle stop and this video just shows the harsh stop it makes.

It is clear that an EXP or at least a setting with Aggressive Brake or SMOOTH Brake would be nice to be added, for Left-Right and Forward-Backward too...
But is hard to explain to some people here what is the value of this setting when they never used it...
I appreciate that you try
2022-6-19
Use props
Skyhigh16
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 6-16 14:51
It's called the FOMO, considering the short life cycles of consumer electronic goods; the longer we wait the more we might miss out. I'm so glad the Mavic3 has finally come good, but it has taken a little too long. And quite often we have more luck with products like the Mini3 Pro, which in my opinion was already good straight out of the box, and only got better and better after 2 firmware updates. To me the real cynical comments on the Mavic3 and RC Pro were coming from those who don't/didn't own the products.

You make a good point!
2022-6-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Skyhigh16 Posted at 6-20 08:15
You make a good point!

LOL, the FOMO part? Or the cynical comment part? For me it's more the cynical comment part, these dudes just sit on the fence and make comments on products they don't have, and not going to buy. They're showing us how smart they are for not having bought or not going to buy these products, while gaining forum points for making their useless, zero value comments.
2022-6-20
Use props
mcde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621906 ft
Greece

I have been flying the Mavic 3 for some months now, I previously had a Mavic 2 pro and I'm well aware of the differences in handling. Still, I would like to see some footage that is impacted by the abrupt braking since I have not experienced such a problem so far. Yes, the Mavic 3 flies differently, but the gimbal performance and the overall image stabilization seem better.
2022-6-23
Use props
PTGT-dxb
New

United Arab Emirates

Thanks for the SW release, i have 2 questions a) any idea when waypoints availability for Mavic 3 b) when will the SDK for Mavic 3 will release
2022-6-23
Use props
zaidoptgp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2094029 ft
Indonesia

After i update to this firmware both on remote and drone, no image transmission to the remote using wide lens camera, why?
2022-6-23
Use props
fansbfcad468
lvl.2

United States

Since updating the RC pro to latest version I cannot get the zoom wheel or tap to scroll zoom button for camera single settings. I can only zoom on hassleblad camera in video mode, not photo mode, this doesn't make sense?  I need to use hassleblad camera for camera raw, so explore mode is not an option.  Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix?  I think the software somehow didn't update completely on my rc controller, I've cleared cache to free up space don't know if I. need to reset controller to factory settings and somehow reinstall the rc software?
2022-6-24
Use props
fansbfcad468
lvl.2

United States

fansbfcad468 Posted at 6-24 05:49
Since updating the RC pro to latest version I cannot get the zoom wheel or tap to scroll zoom button for camera single settings. I can only zoom on hassleblad camera in video mode, not photo mode, this doesn't make sense?  I need to use hassleblad camera for camera raw, so explore mode is not an option.  Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix?  I think the software somehow didn't update completely on my rc controller, I've cleared cache to free up space don't know if I. need to reset controller to factory settings and somehow reinstall the rc software?

to clarify, I need to use the hassleblad camera in 2x and 3x zoom mode, I can now only use hassleblad camera in 1x  mode cannot zoom .  However the zoom options with scroll wheel or on screen do work for video, this doesn't make sense why it would work for video but not photo mode with hassleblad camera?
2022-6-24
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gps works awesome now, thanks Dji.
2022-6-25
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbfcad468 Posted at 6-24 05:51
to clarify, I need to use the hassleblad camera in 2x and 3x zoom mode, I can now only use hassleblad camera in 1x  mode cannot zoom .  However the zoom options with scroll wheel or on screen do work for video, this doesn't make sense why it would work for video but not photo mode with hassleblad camera?

The zoom function has moved to the explore camera mode.

It's worth adding that the drone isn't carrying a Hasselblad camera. It's a Sony sensor with a bit of Hasselblad colour processing. DJI bought them out a few years ago and are free to slap that logo on whatever they choose.
2022-6-26
Use props
Maestro N.S.E.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18091 ft
Slovakia

360 panorama stitching should be fixed, I dont understand why its still not fixed.
2022-6-29
Use props
Chris_Cain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323337 ft
United States

Yes, the stitching on my panoramics is off a little too.  I've resorted to taking my own and stitching in post.
2022-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules