Newly bought Pocket 2 overheating - should I return?
2449 18 2022-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

I just bought the Pocket 2 Creator Combo for medium-shot, talking-head videos, with automatic tracking of the speaker moving around on stage.

It switched of after about 6 minutes. I may not need 180 minutes, but 30 minutes would be nice.

Will this problem be corrected, or will it remain? I could still return the camera.
2022-6-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Have you tried to fully charge it and try again? Besides, may we know the temperature of the operating environment? You may provide us with a video for our further check. Thank you.
2022-6-17
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

Hello Thor,

I am honoured that a god is looking into this.

It was fresh out of the box and fully charged before 1st use. The room temperature was probably around 23 to 25 degrees Celsius - certainly not hot. The room was well ventilated, and the camera was in the shade.

What do you suggest the video would show? And, how can I upload a video in private mode?
2022-6-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

As I recall it, it will switch off after quite a short period of non-use.  Just to be clear, when it shuts down, was it actually recording at the time, and did it really feel hot?  Also, what were the settings in use (including frame rate)?  High frame rates at 4K might cause overheating more quickly than lower frame rates.  Lastly, to track well, I believe it's best to use less-than-4K settings.  Assuming that it's not defective, then it would be worth doing some tests before real-world use to ensure that it doesn't "lose" the speaker.   But given the rarity of overheating issues with this camera, I have a nasty feeling that yours may need replacement...
2022-6-18
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

1) It was recording
2) It did feel warm (some may call it hot). At first, I tried to start recording again, but a message popped up, saying I think something to the effect:"Wait for the Do-it-all handle to cool down"
3) Settings were: 30 fps at 4K
2022-6-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

And one more question, just trying to think of any possible trigger for the problem - were you using an external power supply (eg charger or battery pack)?
2022-6-18
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

I am grateful for your help. Please do ask as many questions as come to mind.

No, the battery was fully charged and no cable was atteched.

It was on a tripod, with/on the do-it-all handle. Controlled remotely with my phone.
2022-6-18
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

Ok, had it again, this time after about 9min
And I did save the error message.

2022-6-19
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

This is my setup

2022-6-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It has to be faulty.  I'd suggest exchanging it.

(Well, double check that the app is up to date (from the DJI site, not Play Store) and check firmware is also up to date.  Show me a straw and I will clutch it...)

2022-6-19
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

I cannot find where on the DJI website I can download or even see the current firmware(s).
2022-6-19
Use props
djiuser_UtDWuJI1vUI1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mine was overheating at times using the do it all handle while connected to phone. Was a lot longer than 6 minutes though if I recall correctly. I just use the phone initially setting up different settings, then just use the pocket itself
2022-6-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The firmware update happens through the Mimo app, if it is up to date.

https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo
But also see this discussion -

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id%3D765&page=1
2022-6-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have used the phone with the camera until the camera battery went flat, making a video of a live performance - indoors, comfortably heated - no problems here with overheating.  It was one of the design objectives of the Pocket devices that they could be used continuously.
2022-6-20
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Hi, I've been using the Pocket 2 for a long time, I've used it both indoors and outdoors even in very hot weather (30-35° celsius) but honestly I've never had any problems with overheating.

I'm afraid yours is faulty, replace it and fix the problem.
2022-6-26
Use props
gjxdji
lvl.1

Germany

By now, I had returned the 1st camera, got a new one, had the same problem, returned the 2nd one, and have now given up on Pocket 2.

The DJI support did not want to help me in any meaningful way,
2022-6-26
Use props
Greg_Toronto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I have two of these cameras. One has the do-it-all handle. I do find that the unit with the do-it-all handle heats up faster. Typically, I film in 1080p so I can use the Active Track feature. However, when I use 4K 60fps the units do get substantially warmer; never had over-heating issue yet.
2022-7-1
Use props
dwaynek
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I've also encountered overheating problems when recording for long periods (usually dies at 1 hour 10 mins) at 4k60. interestingly enough the dji pocket 2 didn't used to overheat when I first bought it but have started doing so after a year of owning it. at first, I tried using a portable fan which does work but this introduces fan noise into the video. I then tried using an nvme cooler and it has resolved this issue and introduces no noise! I've also connected a powerbank to it and it can chug along fine for over 2 hrs without overheating! hope this helps someone!
20240119_155751-s.jpg
2-6 16:55
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

If the camera overheats in less than ten minutes, I would say it clearly indicates there is a problem within the camera itself. On the other hand, if you encounter overheating after an hour and a half or something similar, and wish to record longer, you could try a camera cooling fan. For me, one from Puluz made me wonders. See more about it at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =307032&pid=3269848
3-17 16:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules